Start by marking “Batman: Preludes to the Wedding” as Want to Read:
Batman: Preludes to the Wedding

Batman: Preludes to the Wedding

Wedding bells are ringing in Gotham City…and the criminal underworld is determined to silence them! Following The Joker’s discovery that Batman and Catwoman are getting married, Gotham City’s villains jump into action. If they are going to lose one of their own, it’s not going to be so that their greatest enemy can be happy!

Spinning out of the pages of DC NATIO
Published September 11th 2018 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Chad
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, netgalley
What a great premise. The Joker is offended he didn't get an invitation to the Bat and the Cat's wedding and sicks Batman's rogues out to ruin it. The Bat-Family steps in to stop each of the villains. I had a lot of fun with this. All of the one-shots are by capable artists. A recommended read prior to the wedding.

Received a review copy from DC and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

While Batman and Catwoman might be just days from walking down the aisle and from going on one of the most special journeys they could ever live to enjoy, the Gotham underworld are far from ready to let this kind of happiness exist within their territory. After all, who would have actually thought that a wedding between these two could ever happen in peace? With a whole array of villains ready to jump on any opportunity to ruin a good moment
James DeSantis
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was just okay. Just 5 different stories all concluding to Batman's big wedding. While the Nightwing one and Damien one were pretty solid the other 3 just kind of fell flat. None of them really added much and could be skipped but nothing terrible. A 2.5 out of 5.
Scott
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a disappointment, especially after reading the very good Volume 6: Bride or Burglar just last week and the outstanding Volume 5: Rules of Engagement only a few months ago. (Also, Batman is barely a supporting character in this; Catwoman doesn't have much to do here, either.)

Preludes to the Wedding is a collection of short stories, with the connecting thread of course being the impending nuptials between Batman and Catwoman. The Joker segments bookending the volume are, respectively, a little too sadistic and/>Preludes
Malum
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was an ok collection of VS one-shots. As I was reading it, however, the fact that this book is just a pointless "Batman Wedding" cash grab was never far from my mind.
Steve
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

3 stars. Given the obvious reasons for publishing this volume (making as much money off of the upcoming Bat-Cat wedding), I'm not sure that it met the mark.

Out of the lot, I enjoyed the Batgirl/Riddler chapter the best, and really disliked the Robin/al Ghul chapter. Seriously, what happened?

Overall, the artwork was very good, with the Harley/Joker chapter coming in with the best artwork.
Roy
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid without being as good as Kings arc. Good prelude into the wedding. Also provided some build up to what may happen at the actual wedding. Always love seeing the joker.
Todd Glaeser
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for the free e-copy.

As you would expect, a mixed bag. The Joker stories were the highlights for me, particularly as he waits for his invitation.
Paz R.M.
Aw, what a disappointment.
The writing was very weak and the only one-shot I enjoyed was the Nightwing story (plus the artwork there was maybe my favorite, it's been a while since I've seen such an endearing Dick Grayson).
There are some ideas that I liked, like Damian's fear, and Jason's kindness and Harley's pain and empowerment, but most issues failed in the execution.
It took me a few days to finish this because ultimately it was soooo boring, plus I had a hard time reading th
Kat
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Basic Plot: As Bat and Cat get ready to marry, the Joker is very upset he has not been invited.

There were a lot of fun moments in this little lead up series to the wedding. I definitely got some smiles out of it. The art was solid. Each character addressed got a bit of time to connect to the wedding somehow, and did it in a way that made sense. I think this idea of the Joker being offended at not getting an invitation is a great one. It connects each individual story just enough to m
Chris Lemmerman
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
[Read as single issues]
Not sure if you’ve heard, but Batman and Catwoman are getting married. Unfortunately, Gotham’s worst criminals are well aware of this joyous day, and they’re going to do their best to ruin it for everyone. Of course, Batman’s got friends, and they’re not about to let that happen. When Robin, Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood, and Harley Quinn face off against Ra’s Al Ghul, Riddler, Hush, Anarky, and the Joker, all bets are off and the countdown to the wedding begins with
Wing Kee
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A mixed collection.

World: The art is solid, each issue has a different artist and some are better than others but overall the tone and the color matches and it’s consistent. The world building here is solid, it’s a bunch of tie-ins to the event and offer different parts of the overall world to give a larger picture of the Bat/Cat wedding. Solid.

Story: Five issues here and all different in quality. The best one is of course the Damien issue cause it ties directly with Cat and him an
Jen
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I love Batman and Catwoman. Two of my fav graphic novel characters out there and I SHIP them. So when this and the "Wedding Album" came out, I was ALL over requesting them. Since this one has the word "Preludes" in the title, I read this one first. I also assumed it would tie in with the "Wedding Album", but not so much, more's the pity, because this one was really quite great and I think the other one would have done better if it had followed the storyline in this one.

I don't want t
Dan
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quentin Wallace
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This wasn't bad but seemed a little pointless. "There's a big wedding event coming up so we need some tie ins even if we have to force them" kinda thing. That being said, at least it was entertaining. The whole premise is the Joker is upset he didn't receive an invitation to the Batman/Catwoman wedding, so he's doing what he can to spoil things by leaking info to other nefarious rogues. Of course, Batman has pals to prevent this, and things go from there. If you're really into this whole Batman ...more
Dakota Morgan
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Various Batman sidekicks fight various Batman villains in contrived scenarios related to Batman and Catwoman's impending nuptials. Ostensibly, there's a plotline running through the mostly-standalone stories - Joker needs to find a way into Batman's wedding and he's somehow using the villains to get an invite. That plot never pays off. This collection is basically for completionists or those who prefer endless villain prattling to actual battle scenes.
GONZA
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The irony of this comic was the best thing of it all, plus the Joker and Harley Quinn.

La cosa migliore di questo numero é l'ironia che lo pervade, piú Joker ed Harley Quinn.

THANKS EDELWEISS FOR THE PREVIEW!
Becca
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Note: I received a copy of Batman: Preludes to the Wedding from DC Comics via Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review. This review also contains some small spoilers.

What’s it about, Becca?

It’s the wedding that we’ve all been waiting for! Batcat is busy preparing their vows & attempting to enjoy their bachelor(ette) parties! In a few days, they’ll be exchanging their ‘I do’s’.. or will they? Not if the villains of Gotham City have anything to say about it. The Joker’s caught wind that Batman &/>What’s
Kenneth Roman
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Weddings can bring people out of the woodwork, and that is certainly the case with the upcoming nuptials of Batman and Catwoman, Everyone wants to attend, from members of the bat family: Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, and Red Hood; to some non invited guests: Ra's al Ghul, Hush, Riddler, and of course it would not be a party without the Joker and Harley Quinn. This collection of six issues creates a shadow that will hover over the couple as they move even closer to their big day. The art is on par w ...more
Ben Truong
Batman and Catwoman are getting married and the Joker is genuinely perplexed as to why he was not invited to the wedding. He truly thought that he and Batman had a closer relationship that warranted an invitation to such an auspicious event. In his way, he goes to Ra's al Ghul, Batman son's maternal grandfather, and Thomas Elliot, Bruce Wayne’s childhood best friend to find some answers. He asks, after a fashion, the Riddler to solve this conundrum and uses the Anarky, which also causes some pro ...more
Diane Hernandez
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Batman: Preludes to the Wedding includes six stories providing background to the events that occur in Batman and Catwoman: The Wedding Album.

The first and last story describe how the Joker receives his wedding invitation. The last also includes Harley Quinn. From This Day Forward includes a scene of Damien Wayne getting his wedding suit tailored where he describes his history to his soon-to-be stepmom, Catwoman. Later after returning from her bachelorette party, Catwoman and Damien h
Stephen Abell
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
#1 From This Day Forward...

As we progress towards the Big Day some of Batman's arch-nemesis' come out of the dark to make their feelings known... or to use them as an opportunity to strike at the Dark Knight and his family.

This issue pits Damian against his big bad granddaddy, Ra's. Though we're never sure if he genuinely is in Gotham or just in Damian's drug-addled mind. What we can be sure of though is that he and his League of Assassins are responsible for his drugged
Alan
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
You know, I probably enjoyed these more than I should have. I mean, I know they're a marketing ploy. Tim Seeley, for the most part, raises this collection of one shots above the mere marketing and $$$ grab.

I haven't been reading the mainstream Batman titles for some time, but Seeley makes good use of minor characters (ex: Anarky). The underlying plot thru these titles, well really in the background, is Joker's complaint that he didn't receive an invitation.

Go get some popcorn, and s
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
For more reviews and bookish posts please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Batman: Preludes to the Wedding by Tim Seeley is a collection of stories where side characters in the Batman universe react to his upcoming wedding to Catwoman. This graphic novel collects Robin vs. Ra’s Al Ghul #1, Nightwing vs. Hush #1,Batgirl vs. The Riddler #1, Red Hood vs. Anarky #1 and Harley Quinn vs. The Joker #1.

This graphic novel tells separate stories, all connected to the upcoming wedding of Batman (Bruce Wayne) an
Tom McDonald
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.

The relationship between Batman and Catwoman is of the stuff that makes comic book romance, conceived at the very inception of Batman’s mythos and nearly 80 years old in counting. Everyone is excited about the impending nuptials, and such a core event reverberates to each member of the Bat-Family. Tim Seeley and Tom King are giving us a story told from the inside out. Our Bride and Groom are everywhere yet re
Adam Fisher
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
With Batman and Catwoman getting married soon, villains have started coming out of the woodwork to challenge, yet none stronger than the Joker. This Volume has an overarching story of Joker searching for his invitation in the mail of many people, but doesn't really focus on him until he is attacked by Harley. (Back to that in a bit...)
- Robin gets chemically and psychologically attacked by Ra's Al Ghul. Primarily focused on being "the heir", the story ultimately ends with Damien and Selina
Kevin
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Note: Read in singles format. If you want to read these, read the whole collection at once BEFORE Batman #48; staggering them in release order with Batman #48 and #49 adds nothing and just breaks up the flow of everything.

Review: As stories, these were just OK. There's a through line of how the Joker is handling the upcoming nuptials that plays into the Batman book, but the main value of this collection is just as small insights into how the prospect of this wedding affects various m
Yas
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, dont-own, 2018
I've deleted the reviews to the single editions in favour of listing the volume as one book, so I'm gonna paste them here again.

Robin vs. Ra's al Ghul (read 9th June, rated: 2/5): ... What? What even happened here?
Nightwing vs. Hush (read 9th June, rated: 3/5): This had the potential to be fleshed out bigger, I'm sad they used it for these shorts :(
Batgirl vs. The Riddler (read 14th June, rated 4/5): Oh, I enjoyed this!
Red Hood vs. Anarky (read 21st June, rated 4/5): Red Hood vs White Elitists is my favourite thing on/>Red/>Batgirl/>Nightwing/>Robin
Wayne McCoy
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Batman: Preludes to the Wedding' by DC Comics collects a lot of one shots leading up to the big event.

The prelude story, written by Tom King, is about an anxious Joker waiting for his wedding invite, and it sets a tone that isn't quite met for the rest of the book. The remainder of the book is a series of vs. confrontations between the Bat-Family and some of the various Batman villains. Tim Seeley does the writing with various artists doing good work.

Damian gets paired o
Kristine
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Batman: Preludes to the Wedding by Tim Seeley is a free NetGalley e-comicbook that I read in early September.

This comic initially comes off as creepy, lurking, shadowy, and exquisitely inked, but a whole lot of time switching and interlaced storylines wears at the overall charm and look of the greater story quite a bit: the Joker and the Riddler are keen on including themselves in the forthcoming wedding; a smarmy and somewhat hyperviolent Damian Wayne is in the care of Selina/Catwoman, even thou
« previous 1 3 next »

• Batman/Superman, Volume 3: Second Chance
  • Titans, Vol. 2: Made In Manhattan
  • Batgirl, Volume 2: Son of Penguin
  • The Flash, Volume 2: Speed of Darkness
Tim Seeley is a comic book artist and writer known for his work on books such as G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, The Dark Elf Trilogy, Batman Eternal and Grayson. He is also the co-creator of the Image Comics titles Hack/Slash[1] and Revival, as well as the Dark Horse titles, ExSanguine and Sundowners. He lives in Chicago.