Start by marking “Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds (Legion, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds (Legion, #1-3)

Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds

(Legion #1-3)

Stephen Leeds is perfectly sane. It’s his hallucinations who are mad.

A genius of unrivaled aptitude, Stephen can learn any new skill, vocation, or art in a matter of hours. However, to contain all of this, his mind creates hallucinatory people—Stephen calls them aspects—to hold and manifest the information. Wherever he goes, he is joined by a team of imaginary experts to
Published September 18th 2018 by Tor

To ask other readers questions about Legion, please sign up.
Taylor Ramirez No, it's not. This book has nothing to do with the Marvel universe, it just shares the same name. But these short stories are still really great :)
Sandy Which Aspect do you like the most, relate to the most?…moreWhich Aspect do you like the most, relate to the most? (less)

Start your review of Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds (Legion, #1-3)
Petrik
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-ebooks
Fun and thrilling to dark, poignant and intimate, Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds have them all.

This omnibus was my second venture into Sanderson’s non-Cosmere book/trilogy; the first one being Snapshot. Once again, Sanderson didn’t disappoint. Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds is an omnibus that encapsulated Sanderson’s Legion trilogy into one volume, specifically, Legion, Legion: Skin Deep, and Legion: Lies of the Beholder. If you haven’t read any of the trilogy, I strongly
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I was SO excited to see a wrap-up to this trilogy of SF novellas by Brandon Sanderson! Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds is set of three interlocking science fiction/mystery novellas, with the detective role played by schizophrenic genius Stephen Leeds and his legion of hallucinatory alter egos or “aspects,” as he prefers to refer to them. The first two previously published novellas, “Legion” and “Legion: Skin Deep,” are now published together for
Anne
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen has a lot of people in his head.

description

And while that sounds like a bad thing, he's managed to make it work for him.
So, basically, he's like Sherlock Holmes but with multiple personality disorder. Ish.
That will make sense if you read the book. Promise.

description

This book was a compilation of all 3 of Sanderson's Legion short stories. Which were actually pretty damn cool. My only complaint is that it seems as though he's finished with this character, and that would be a shame. In the end, Stephen and
TS Chan
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Voices in My Head: Part Three' has just been published and it made me round up my rating, as I am pretty certain I will when I reread the third story.

4.5 stars.

Legion carries the Sanderson trademark through and through, with concepts which are fantastical and far out, but the storytelling is always centred around the characters and humanistic themes.

All the things that matter in life are the things you can’t measure…

This omnibus collects the first two novellas, Legion and Skin Deep, both
Alejandro
Hallucinating good!!!

This book contains the all three short stories of "Legion", the first one with the same name, the second one "Skin Deep" and the third one (and final one (so far)) "Lies of the Beholder".

INSANE(LY) ENTERTAINING

While I knew about this book series by Brandon Sanderson since a while, it was until I got this collected edition that finally I was able to read it...

...and I love it!

Stephen "Legion" Leeds is easily one of the most interesting prose novel characters that I've
Gavin
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, sci-fi
This book was a compilation volume containing all three of Sanderson's Stephen Leeds novellas. I'll mainly focus on giving my thoughts on the newly released third novella, Lies of the Beholder, as I've already shared my thoughts on the other two in previous reviews.

I did reread both Legion and Skin Deep before starting Lies of the Beholder and enjoyed them both. I liked Legion just as much the second (or third) time around. It is a fantastic introduction into the crazy world of Stephen Leeds!
Holly
These three novellas are as intelligent, quirky, fun, and borderline crazy as the main character they all portray - Stephen Leeds. I don't want to give too much away but I will say this step away from epic fantasy for Sanderson was a success in my book. It pushes the boundaries of reality just enough to make you really think but still keeps it entertaining.
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 It’s so Hard to Say Goodbye Stars

This is the final novella to complete out the story of a brilliant man who is just a little bit crazy, or at least his hallucinations are.

We first met Steven Leeds on the worst blind date ever. It is a little disconcerting to find out the man you are on a date with sees and talks to people who aren’t really there. Over the course of a few books we’ve gotten to know many of the hallucinations that he has created to compartmentalize all of the stuff in his
Literary Soirée
BRILLIANT GLIMPSE
Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds - Preview Excerpt is a brilliant peek at the intriguing work of an author, Brandon Sanderson, I’ve not read before.

EXPLOSIVE
His fans are rabidly loyal and now I understand! Includes the not-to-be missed novellas Legion and Legion: Skin Deep, published together for the first time, as well as a brand new explosive finale to Stephen Leeds' story, Lies of the Beholder. 5/5

Pub Date 18 Sep 2018

Thanks to Brandon, Macmillan-Tor/Forge and
Claudia
Mr. Sanderson’ writing is great when it comes to fantasy, especially to his Stormlight Archive series. However, he should stay away from science fiction, as this is not a genre for everyone to write.

The science part is missing completely from this novella, there is no worldbuilding; this is just a work of fiction with lots of gaps between events, with a preposterous plot and an unconvincing and unrealistic main character – he has 46 alter-egos which act as hallucinations, not personalities (as
Karishma
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-before-2020
This was my first Sanderson and will definitely not be my last.

This was a near perfect series for me in terms of characters, plot and pacing till the last chapter which flickered out towards a crushing disappointing and an ending which seemed just wrong.

I would highly recommend this series - it's great, short and complete - if you are into audiobooks it's great in that format as well.

Just imagine something else for the ending of the series, that's what I plan to do!
Iryna *Book and Sword*

“That was a tall order for Ivy. Sarcasm was kind of her native tongue, though she was fluent in “stern disappointment” and “light condescension” as well. She was also a good friend. Well, imaginary friend.”

In the past I've been saying in error that I do not like to read sci-fi books. I only recently found out that I was terribly wrong, and I also found out why I was wrong. When I think of sci-fi - books set in space come to mind immediately (for some reason) and I am not a big fan of those.
Emily
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds by Brandon Sanderson
*****5*****

Legion is both a beautiful and haunting tale of the inner workings of one man's psychology and his search to understand it.
ChopinFC
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sanderson, audiobooks
Sanderson continues to mesmerize his fans by creating a story that is unlike anything he's ever written, but just as brilliant and entertaining!

To characterize Sanderson's group of novellas about a schizophrenic, brilliant man named 'Legion' as fantasy is a little bit of an overreach. Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds, I believe falls more under the category of psychological thriller, with elements of Sci-fi. Sanderson goes in a tangent from this customary 'Cosmere universe', and trust he
Nadine
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What’s great about Legion is that there is more than one interpretation to be taken: a metaphor for writers and their process, a personal look at Sanderson’s process/mind, a look at mental illness, or just a really interesting and fun story.

Legion is a compilation of three novellas. When this compilation novel was first announced last year, I decided to hold off on read the novellas so I could just binge them all at once and I’m glad I did. Sanderson is doing his Sanderson thing here in creating
André Oliveira
Brandon Sanderson is my favourite author but this book didn't blow me away.

It felt more like an "experiment". It was fun to read and it was interesting in some points but that's it.
Bookwraiths
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, review-freebie
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds is a collection of three companion novellas focused on schizophrenic genius Stephen Leeds, whose unbelievable detective skills have sprung forth from his legion of hallucinatory “aspects”. While the first two novellas have been previously published (I’m referring to “Legion” and “Legion: Skin Deep”.), this time out fans of the series can re-experience those old Leeds adventures before devouring the wrap-up novella, “Lies
Dave
Blurring the lines between reality and imagination and between sanity and its opposite, Sanderson offers us three interlinked novellas, two of which were previously published. Stephen Leeds is a genius, but he is crawling along a tightrope perched precariously over a steep drop. In order to solve cases such as missing corpses, he calls upon his aspects or hallucinations, forty varied and extraordinary beings who no one can see but him. Although he sets chairs out for them. Offers them drinks. ...more
Nafeeza
Well, I was not prepared for that ending...

4.5 Stars
Sophie
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books
3.5 stars!

This was an enjoyable, imaginative, and fast paced read that got surprisingly darker at the end. I'd be interested to see if he ever developed this into a full length book, especially as I'd love to see more world building etc.

I went back and forth between 3 stars and 4 stars because there are things that I enjoyed and things that could have been better. But reading about his aspects were interesting!

Dan
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Check out my blog, One Man Book Club

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds, is a compilation of the three novellas about Brandon Sanderson's schizophrenic private investigator, Stephen Leeds.

My opinion? The Legion stories are the most unique and creative applications of Brandon Sanderson's famous magic systems. I love these stories, they are a creative masterpiece, and I wish there were more. They would make an AMAZING TV series.

The third and final story is
Susan
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NetGalley provided a Preview ARC for this book. This collection will be released in September and will include the science fiction novellas Legion and Legion: Skin Deep, published together for the first time, as well as a brand new Stephen Leeds novella, Lies of the Beholder.

Another hit by the brilliant write Brandon Sanderson!

Stephen Leeds, AKA 'Legion,' is a man whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personae: hallucinatory entities with a wide variety of
Bookteafull (Danny)
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I’m officially becoming so lazy on goodreads that I’m coping my Instagram posts and embracing the fact that I am on a goodreads slump, i.e. committing to sloppy or nonexistent reviews and little to no updates. #YOLO. Maybe it’s cuz I leave on vacation on Wednesday to Greece?? I’ve been on vacation mode for two months lol.

Anyways, my insta review:

“My name is Stephen Leeds, and I am perfectly sane. My hallucinations, however, are all quite mad.”
#Legion #LegionSkinDeep #LegionLiesoftheBeholder
Tessa
-EDIT-
After reviewing the preview excerpt, Macmillan-Tor/Forge granted me a full review copy through NetGalley.
The third and final story did not disappoint! I would have liked it if the part about (view spoiler) was explained in more detail, but overall this was a great conclusion to Legion.

-Original excerpt review-

I have read several of Brandon Sandersons books & short stories and the Legion ones are among my favorites. The concept peeked my interest and
Filipa
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned

What to say about Legion... fun, smart, entertaining. It's an analysis of the main character's psychic and everything revolves around him. There isn't a major plot line or world building, in a way you're just getting to know how Stephen's brilliant mind works - or at least trying. It is mostly fascinating at times. We can follow him around missions, trying to remain sane in a rather chaotic world. I
Sherwood Smith
I read an excerpt from what I gather is a fix up, or a compendium of three novellas. I have not quite connected with Sanderson's fantasy, though there is a lot I like, but this I really enjoyed.

Briefly, Stephen Leeds has multiple personas, and the banter between them is what makes the story so much fun. Watching the mystery unfold while Leeds and other people in real life blip in and out of consensus reality with the personas (aspects, Leeds calls them, insisting he does not have multiple
Anton
Full review to come as soon as i have a spare minute...

But this an all-star fiction. This is my THE best favourite Sanderson’s book. I like better than Mistborn. Better than Emperor’s Soul. Better than anything else he wrote.

Loved it from the first page and to the last. Pure reading pleasure
Travis Duke
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Legion is about a young man who has "aspects" or multiple personalities that manifest into people that only he can see. This book is comprised of 3 stories that all connect. As a Sanderson fan this is not my favorite story of his but I did like it.

The stories are entertaining but for me the ending felt fast and sort of thin but that's just a minor gripe. Sanderson shines the best when he is explaining how Stephen thinks, I really enjoyed how Stephan rationalized his condition, its
RG
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novella 1-***
Novella 2-****
Novella 3-***.5

Overall 3.5*. This was very different to the normal Sanderson stories. It still had a cool concept. Dealing with issues of psychology or humans dealing with inner problems are normally something Sanderson writes about. Its his forte/niche. Here he just brings it to tje forefront. It felt like a weak scifi novel at times with some decent detective work on the side. I wouldnt say its his finest work, but it still was a good read.
Kinga
“My own brain fights against me.”
“No. We’re your brain, boss. We fight with you.”

I’m on a mission to read all the Brandon Sanderson books.

Yeah. It might take a while. (thank god)

Sanderson is for me the young but wise king of fantasy. Someone who is just about to make a grand name for himself – that will surely be remembered for the ages to come – but who has been showing his talents ever since the beginning. Okay, he’s my favorite author, I can praise him all I want.

But what’s important is, he

• Cuentos para Algernon: Año VII
  • Historias de Hann
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • Warrior of the Altaii
  • Foundryside (Founders, #1)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • The Consuming Fire (The Interdependency, #2)
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • Ponzoña
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)
  • War Cry
  • One Word Kill (Impossible Times, #1)
  • Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)
  • The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons, #1)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • Sombras tennen
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s

Legion (3 books)
  • Legion (Legion, #1)
  • Skin Deep (Legion, #2)
  • Lies of the Beholder (Legion, #3)
“I'm not crazy, I'm compratmentalized.” 1 likes