Start by marking “Jiddy Vardy” as Want to Read:

Jiddy Vardy

1779. On tumultuous waters a girl is born as pirates board the ship . . .

Jiddy Vardy is a survivor.

Rescued at birth, she grows up in Robin Hood’s Bay, a community which harbours a dangerous secret, one that could get you killed.

Always the outsider, with her dark skin and hair, at sixteen Jiddy is clever, brave and headstrong, soon risking her life and freedom to play her p
Published June 21st 2018 by ZunTold Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Jiddy Vardy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jiddy Vardy

Chloë (thecosyreader)
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jiddy Vardy is one of those glorious books that entices you in from the first chapter. This is unsurprising, given the premise of the book: Jiddy Vardy centres around a girl’s role in a smuggling ring operated by pirates and villagers under the noses of brutal and ruthless soldiers. Action-packed, it is incredibly difficult to pull yourself away from the cliff-hangers and scenarios that Ruth Estevez creates.

First of all, let me try to express just how much I loved Jiddy as a character. She is he
Gemma
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
So it took me quite a long time to finish this one, I'm not sure why as I enjoyed it, it just wasn't quite what I expected. The synopsis of this book really drew me in. Pirates are one of my favorite things to read about so I was really keen to dive in however, even though pirates are part of the story, they are not the focus.

To me this was quite a character focused story, as opposed to plot heavy and this is why I think I read it slower than I would normally do. That being said, the author did
Jess
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Gemma McGee
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I went though several different stages with this book, there were times that I was gripped with the story and other times I wasn't. I was more gripped in the last third of the book, where I couldn't put it down.There is a lot of world building, which make it easier to understand Jiddy's choices in the end. As the book is set in England in 1779 I had to remember the treatment of people (women) at the time, so I didn't sidetracked by my feelings on that subject.Jiddy is such an interesting charact ...more
booksofallkinds
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
**RATING 3.5**

Instantly thrown into the action, JIDDY VARDY by Ruth Estevez is a compelling story set during the Eighteenth Century that will set your heart racing with danger and adventure.

From the day she was born, Jiddy Vardy, has been a survivor, growing a tough skin in order to survive amongst the others in Robin Hood's Bay, but she has never really belonged with them. She has never really belonged anywhere. But as young love begins to heal the hurts of the past, Jiddy will find herself the
Paul Morris
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jiddy Vardy makes for lovely reading. It combines muscular, adventurous storytelling with the darkly evocative scent of historical fiction. There's a grand sweep in the broad arc of the tale; but this is combined cleverly with delightful attention to the tiniest of details - the softness of the leather calf of a boot, the scrape of teeth and brush of lips on a fresh wound, the gathering of crows in a treetop or the flicker of candlelight in a window. It's intelligent, skilled writing.

Gill James
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read three books by Ruth Estevez recently and enjoyed them all but this, her latest, is fabulous.
Jiddy Vardy is an extraordinary young woman, living in a world that is dangerous and exciting. She is later introduced to another world, a world that is her birth right, and she finds herself conflicted.
Is it a young adult book or one written for adults? Certainly Jiddy is a young person who encounters many of the dilemmas facing young people even today. She experiences her first kiss. She is
Anna Underground Broke The Camel's Back
There are plenty of surprises and twists in this book for young adults set at Robin Hood's Bay. Particularly the second half of the book rattles along at roller coaster pace, and it all builds to a denouement that, while satisfying in its own right, sets us up nicely for a sequel.

Jiddy Vardy is a worthy addition to the illustrious canon of Yorkshire children’s literature. And I can’t wait to find out what she does next.

Full review here: https://murderundergroundbrokethecame...
Miranda Estevez-Baker
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautifully written and compelling story that explores the conflict of identity and belonging. I love how this book captures a sense of the wild, fierce and captivating nature of the North and the sea. Such an easy read I couldn't stop turning the pages. What a gem. Can't wait for the next one!
Sarah Kershaw
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this brilliant book by Ruth Estevez. I loved the characters, especially Jiddy, all beautifully written and so vivid. An adventure, love story, historical, smugglers, tragedy and strong female lead all rolled into one. Gripped from the first page and didn’t want it to end!
Becca  ☾☁︎⋆ (PrettyLittleMemoirs.com)
Nov 29, 2018
Beau
Feb 06, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Book Covers for new entries 3 197 Mar 20, 2018 10:25AM
Ruth Estevez was born in Bradford, West Yorkshire. Her father, Peter John Estevez was of Spanish descent, his family coming to London to set up a Sherry importing business from the family vineyard in Jerez de la Frontera. Her mother, Gladys Parkinson, was from Yorkshire ancestry, her grandfather being one of three or four coal merchants in Bradford to still be in business after World War Two. Befo ...more