Start by marking “ALS Saved My Life ... until it didn't” as Want to Read:

ALS Saved My Life ... until it didn't

Most people realize life will not go as planned. But what do we do when nothing goes as we had ever hoped? Jenni Berebitsky, diagnosed in 2009 with ALS has been answering these questions every day. With the hope of helping others move forward after life altering events, Jenni shares her story of life wiht ALS, outlining practical and existential changes needed to adapt and ...more
Paperback
Published March 18th 2018

To ask other readers questions about ALS Saved My Life ... until it didn't, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ALS Saved My Life ... until it didn't

Start your review of ALS Saved My Life ... until it didn't
Amy
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Being a member of the club that no one wants to be a part of, this book touched me deeply. It was all too familiar and Jenni's voice, sense of humor and struggle to maintain a "normal" life with her husband and son, rang so deeply in my heart and mind that I couldn't put the book down. The struggles at times must have seemed insurmountable, but the love and caring of Jenni's friends and family have allowed her to live a life full of ..."life". This amazing woman has written a ...more
Laurie
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Couldn’t put it down. Jenni tells the story of her ALS story with the voice of honesty, humor and inspirational determination. I could feel her strength while also sensing how much she has lost though her losses are never couched as complaints. The addition of the chapters from her mom, husband and son offered a different insight and were equally honest and human. How I wish this weren’t her story but how honored I am to have been able to learn from it.
Sharna Marcus
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jenni writes an authentic account of her life with ALS. The book is raw, yet funny, inspirational, but not saccharine. I also really appreciated the three chapters written by her husband, son, and mom.

I highly recommend it for anyone who knows someone or has a chronic illness. There are a lot of good tips in there for living with a disease.
Sherie
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Welcome to the club nobody wants to be a member of. The author has her whole life before her. She’s finished school and is a homeopathic doctor, she’s found the love of her life, become a mother, and is ready to revel in her life. Though a few things are not quite as they should be, Jenni is ready to let her life unfold, as she’d planned.
Isn’t that the trouble with life plans - we make them and then....
There is no good age to find that one has ALS, and finding out in her early 30’s is almost un
Tammy Durm
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography-memoir
Jenni's body may be failing her but her mind is sharper than ever and she has a lot to say. This book includes many things you might wonder about but would never ask. She is for real and she doesn't hold back.

Being a doctor, she made very informed decisions about her own care and she has lived over 9 years after her diagnosis in 2009. At that time she was given 18-24 months to live. She continues to defy the odds and shares a lot of details in the appendix to help anyone who has, or cares about
Jamie
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are all on a journey that leads to death. On the way, we live in moments and share with people. And this book is about the hard truths of really being in those moments and present along with the people surrounding a loving, keenly observant woman with the relentless disease, ALS. The candid observations of a mother, wife, friend, and doctor reflect on the practical physical adaptations for best managing ALS while taking us through the stages of emotional realizations that acceptance of the un ...more
Hillary
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the good fortune to meet Jenni and Joyce. Unbelievably amazing and inspirational. This book is a MUST read.
Kristy
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I live in the same part of Indy as this brave woman and have seen her in person a few times, so I was drawn to her story which is more uplifting and inspiring than sad as she shares the daily details of living with ALS. Kudos to her ability to write it that way. Her attitude and infectious smile are making a difference in people's lives every day. I recently saw the debut of the new, short documentary about her entitled "Grateful" which is starting the rounds of some of the film festivals. Wishi ...more
Julia Simpson-Urrutia
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very touching story written by a courageous sufferer of ALS. Books such as this help all of us understand life and appreciation.
Angela Thompson
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Berebitsky writes with humor and realism. As a medical professional, the author was well aware of the magnitude her ALS diagnosis would have on her life. Turning her bleak prognosis into a life story brings readers (and those touched by an ALS diagnosis) an inspirational story of life and hope. The author relays genuine challenges, feelings, and emotions from the very first pages of her story. While the story could certainly be a sad one (and may bring forth some emotions from page to page)- ...more
Amy
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ALS Saved My Life ... until it didn't

As the Producer and Executive Producer of the award winning documentary short film "Grateful - The Jenni Berebitsky Story" I urge you to read this inspiring book by my beautiful friend Jenni Berebitsky (with her Mom Joyce Kleinman and Elizabeth Flynn). I have witnessed hundreds of Jenni's supporters rave about the book and how it has changed their own lives as an ALS Survivor, family, friend or fan. God can throw a curve ball in our lives when we least expect
Hal
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An audiobook on the courageous battle of Dr. Jenni Berebitsky struck by ALS in her thirties. She had just completed her education in naturopathic in getting the terrible news. However rather than submit to the dramatic changes that would occur she determined to live her life as fully as possible and in this succeeded by any standards. We all take our well being for granted until it is challenged and then must deal with it the best we can. Dr. Berebitsky's book will be an inspiration to those of ...more
Kade Gulluscio
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I wasn’t too sure what to expect initially, but I was pleasantly surprised. ALS is a horrid disease, and I deeply feel for the author. The book was well written and easy to follow. I’d definitely suggest it to friends.
Mary
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kept my interest throughout
Hannah
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
None of us can really control what happens in our life, but we can control how we react and live life beyond unforeseen events. I learned so much from Jenni Berebitsky's inspiring memoir. She does not shy away from the hard, but instead looks at life with bravery. With humor and grace, Jenni teaches us that life is worth living no matter what curve-balls come our way. This book is a fantastic resource for those with ALS and a well of wisdom for how to live life authentically.
Erin
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!! I got the book as soon as it was available and I couldn't put the book down...I cried and many times laughed out loud and then cried some more. Jenni is an inspiration (and so are Jeff and Joyce)! Jenni’s insights, wisdom, and ability to embrace life to the fullest are beautiful. This book is raw, honest, sad, funny, and wonderful. Thank you for being so open and sharing your journey.
Books Forward
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel is such an inspiring tale about what it means to live with a chronic illness. Jenni does not let this life defining illness come in the way of anything for her. Such an inspiring book that really gives a voice to the thousands of people struggling with this disease.
Marissa DeCuir
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story about a woman that is not letting her illness define her. Jenni does an amazing job telling her story and not letting anything stand in her way. Such an inspiring book and I hope that we can soon learn how to cure this illness.
Debbie Wood
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A touching and inspirational read of the power of humanity. I cried and laughed throughout this book. It is an excellent reminder that when life throws you something so unfair, you can either sit back, take it and give up or you can use this unfairness as a reason to start living. We forget how beautiful life and the relationships with others can be and we need to be reminded of this beauty. Jenni and her tribe are truly amazing.
Katie Dolan
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jenni's words evoke warmth, authenticity, humor (laugh out loud), and will stick with you always. Her book is an inspiration and one everyone should read!
Kathryn Devanny
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ALS SAVED MY LIFE…until it didn’t

ALS- known as Lou Gehrig's , disease has been in the news more recently thanks to the “ice Bucket “ challenge. But the real challenge is living of living with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.

Jenni Kleinman Berebitsky, through her inner strength, intentional practices, loving support of family and friends, and sheer determination has managed not just to live with ALS, but to live with joy. As I read this book, I thought of Lincoln’s admonition,
Think not on your sor
Tammy
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jenni gives us a glimpse into her beautiful life after being given the diagnosis of ALS in the prime of her life. The day to day trials and triumphs of living with ALS are beautifully and lovingly shared with the reader. Reading her story you will come away with the feeling that you’ve made a wonderful new friend in Jenni. She effortlessly leads the reader into bravely facing what we can all say is the unknown journey of life.
Melinda M
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
ALS Saved My Life ... until it didn't by Jenni Kleinman Berebitsky gives insight to a life lived with ALS. It was interesting and kept your attention. It allows a view of life with ALS. Jenni Kleinman Berebitsky lived her life with ALS as one not beaten.
Michael Campbell
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An eye opening and touching memoir that really delves deep into what it's like to have ALS. If you or a loved one gets this horrible illness, definitely worth a read. It's a much more heartwarming and healthy way to learn about ALS than reading cold facts on the internet.
Kathleen Garber
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
My husband’s cousin was diagnosed with ALS so I was very interested in this book when it was offered to me. I’m glad I read it. It tells the story of Jenni Berebitsky who was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) in March 2009. It chronicles her ups and downs and shows how she has made it was past what her original prognosis was. She shares tips on living with ALS as well as the rocky emotions she and her family have had to make it through.

This book was better than most memoirs in that it wa
April Greissinger
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to JKS Communications for my free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review!

Jenni was diagnoes with ALS in 2009 at 33 years old - one month out of her medical residency, 2 years into her marriage, and balancing life with her 15 month old son. She was given 18-24 months to live, but 10 years later she came out with this story! This is such a powerful memoir and I ripped through this story! Jenni is filled with so much life and joy, and her new outlook on life is truly amazing! She
Jennifer Reynolds
Remarkable people. Embrace life.
Wouldhe222aol.Com,
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring book for anyone dealing with life's challenges. Jenni is a positive example for all of us.
Carolyn McConkey
Mar 20, 2018
Malky G.
Jul 22, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Even if you don't.: A love story
  • Cancer? But I'm a Virgo.: *This is not a book about astrology. This is a book about cancer.
  • These Colors Don't Run: A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories
  • No Such Thing as a Snow Day: A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories
  • Hurricane of Love: My Journey with Beth Wheeler
  • Fall and Rise: The Story of 9/11
  • I'm Your Huckleberry: A Memoir
  • Do You Even Know What You're Doing?: A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • Hesitant Hope: A memoir of anguish, endurance and healing.
  • Why Didn't I Notice Her Before?: a memoir about dying to live