Start by marking “Overcome (Cunningham Security, #2)” as Want to Read:
Overcome (Cunningham Security, #2)

Overcome

(Cunningham Security #2)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
It only took a matter of moments for Lexi Townsend's life to change. Her power was taken, her trust lost. Her bubbly personality was smothered by the depressing weight of shame and guilt.

Four years later, Lexi yearns to get back to the former version of herself. A stronger version. One who is no longer afraid to share her story, her body, and her trust. When Private Invest
291 pages
Published June 12th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Overcome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcome

Nadine Bookaholic
I found this to be a deeply emotional read, especially for anyone that has been sexually abused or sexually assaulted. Please use caution if rape is a trigger for you. This was a seriously intense book that was light at times but with the subject matter it's kinda hard not to be mostly serious.

I must admit that this was the first time I have read any of A.K. Evans books, and quite honestly I was seriously thinking of passing this one over because of the subject matter but I received a couple of
⚜️Trea
FTC DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN E-ARC FROM THE PUBLISHER THROUGH INKSLINGER PR. I VOLUNTARILY OFFER MY HONEST REVIEW OF THE BOOK, THOUGH IT IS NOT EXPECTED OF ME! RECEIPT OF THIS BOOK IN THIS MANNER DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION OF THE BOOK OR THE CONTENT OF MY REVIEW!

I was a little worried about this book being a trigger for me, but it really wasn't one, in spite of the scene at the beginning of the book in the prologue. The biggest problem I had with this book was that it was part of a larger seri
Tracey *Steamyreads*
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Readultery Life Review

This book was amazing. I was hooked from the very first page, in fact I was hooked from the blurb before I even started reading this journey. A.K Evans has written a beautiful novel about a subject matter that leaves destruction in its wake and the journey that one faces rebuilding their life.

Lexi Townsend was an easy going, bubbly, people person. Never in her wildest dreams did she expect the guy that she was seeing to subject her to a vicious assault, the kind of assa
Victoria Raven
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really took my time with this book and gave it the time it deserved, so I could write a review that fully encompassed this beauty.
I don't think words really do this story justice. It was everything I imagined it would be and everything it should have been.
A.Ks words are like poetry in motion. As soon as they are in front of me they just work, they just make sense.
Cruz and Lexi were just pure beauty. I read the book a few times so I could absorb everything.
Their story really did have everyt
KFForever
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it

Reviewed by Emma-Louise on behalf of KFF

When I saw the cover for this book, I expected a quiet little romance with an ounce of suspense. Nah ugh! Not what I got at all. I would be remiss if I left out the beautiful dedication this author wrote. It summarises so eloquently what this book encompasses, giving people back power that was ripped from them.

How on earth does someone move pass a tragedy such as the one that Lexi endures? How do you battle demons that are so ingrained into your psyche
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
How does a person overcome a tragic event? How do you even contemplate putting your life back together?

Lexi has to answer those questions and decide if she will let this event control her or if she will rise above it. Cruz wants to help Lexi but will she let him?

Overcome was an amazing story or survival and how we can let one event make us or break us.

Reviewed by: Dana D.
We Review Books
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You can find healing in this book...

This book captured my heart. While the subject matter is heavy and traumatic, Ms. Evans handled it so well that you feel the weight of that is on Lexi's heart being lifted away as she blooms into a wonderful young woman with the capacity to love. It makes you go through all the stages: anger, defeat, disappointment, but Lexi come out as the warrior Cruz see.

If the subject matter is too much for you, I beg you to take a chance. In this book, there is not only
Janine - The World Was Hers for the Reading
Lexi Townsend’s life changed in a matter of minutes when her college date doesn’t listen to the word “no.” She’s left feeling ashamed and guilty for not fighting harder, terrified to be alone with men and out of control of her life. Years later, with the help and support of her therapists, Lexi dreams of getting her life back. She’s on the way to being a successful business woman, but wants more from life. When Private Investigator Cruz Cunningham shows his interest in her, for the first time in ...more
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: An eARC was provided via Inkslinger PR and the Author as part of the Blog Tour. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are however my own.

I absolutely love a romance where the heroine is a survivor - and that when she does decide on a man to fall for (you know its' a decision!); it will be because she wants to be with him and not because she needs him!

And Overcome by A.K. Evans is EXACTLY that kind of romance -
Jenn the Readaholic
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book hooked me from the very first words (and by that, I mean the dedication before I even started the actual book!). AK’s words left me feeling like she just GETS it. Then, I hit the actual chapters and that feeling was solidified: this woman truly DOES, indeed, get it!

Lexi has survived one of the worst things that can ever happen to a woman, and she’s done it without ever letting anyone but her therapist into her mind. For years, she hasn’t felt safe giving a man her time or trust because
Natshane
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I'm glad that this book is garnering raving reviews and I can see with the plot theme, it makes senses that why so many readers would be drawn to the story. Well, I was one of them too.

On paper, this book ticks all my boxes, it has an interesting blurb, darker theme that I normally go for, not too big on the book cover, but I had high hopes. I guess because I dove in with so many expectations, the story just fell short when I realized I couldn't click with Lexi, at all.

I couldn't understand her
Dina Maio
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars. . I don’t give out 5 stars reviews very easily, a book has to REALLY get me! And while this book did not do that, it almost did. It was a great book that dealt with a really hard subject – rape and abuse. The stories within this book are sobering and it is not for the faint of heart. That being said, I loved the story and the characters – Lexi and Cruz – wow! Lexi is just now getting her life back together when Cruz enters, well, actually reenters her life, and she finally is ready to ...more
Kari Hansen
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lexi was an easygoing college student until the night that changed everything. She may look the same from the outside but inside she carries the pain and guilt that she should have done something different and for the last four years the only person she has been able to tell is her therapist. She has graduated from college, has started her own business as a publicist but the only men she allows close to her are her brothers and father.

Cruz is part of Cunningham Security and he met Lexi when he w
Marie  Brown (Marie's Tempting Reads)
Marie's Tempting Reads ARC Review:

WOW! I mean this book was so profound and amazing and was everything I could hope for. From the moment I read the blurb, I suspected that Overcome would be an unforgettably good book, yet the moment I started it I got lost within it and I was awed and inspired by the characters, the plot, and the romance. It was just...EVERYTHING!

This book dealt with a difficult subject. And how this book was written and how the heroine went forth after her ordeal showed her ama
Joanne
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this authors work each and every book she writes just gets better and better. We met Cruz and Lexi In the previous series so they weren’t unfamiliar to us. Lexi has a secret she’s kept for years and finally feels comfortable revealing it to her friends and family. Unbeknownst to Cruz, who’s working a case that hits a Little to close to home, his attraction to Leix is fortunately reciprocated. As they navigate their relationship we catch up with some beloved characters. Without giving spoi ...more
Hannah
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC REVIEW

I didn't know what to expect from this book, this is a new author for me and I was a little hesitant about the rape and sexual assault, but the blurb really did catch my attention and I'm so glad I did read this because it is so good. For the most part this book really is Lexi finally dealing with and putting the last pieces of her life back together after her rape. If reading a truncated and detached version of the rape from Lexi's POV is not something you want to read skip the prolo
Lynn
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Emotional Stars!!

This is my absolute favorite by this author…and I’ve LOVED all of her books. After reading the book description I have to admit I was worried. This book tackles a sensitive subject and I wasn’t sure I’d be able to enjoy it. Even still, I had to give it a try. I’m so glad I did.

Despite the subject matter, Overcome was a heartfelt and tender romance. A.K. Evans crafted a complex and compelling story. It was so inspiring to see that even though Lexi’s internal struggle was omnip
Susana
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great book. I easily fell in love with Cruz, and adored Lexi. Despite having one of the worst things happen in her life, she found her strength to fight through it and overcome her issues. The reader can’t help but root for her to keep moving forward in her journey and allowing Cruz to help her. As heroes go, he’s one of the best. He’s sweet, patient, and protective with Lexi, while still being alpha and sexy at the same time.
You also get to see some characters from the previous
Roxie
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I don't even know if I have the words to describe just how perfect this book was for me. A.K. Evans wrote a deeply emotional story that hooked me from the first page. While the subject matter was difficult, it wasn't ever gruesome and Evans handled it beautifully.

Lexi was a strong, determined heroine and Cruz was a perfect hero. Lexi's character gripped me from the prologue and I felt every emotion right alongside her. Cruz was protective of her, but not in a way that stifled her recovery.
Jenette Rufibach
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just don't know where to begin. I was very excited for Lexi and Cruz's story. Their story was beautifully written. There were times where I was smiling and laughing and other times where I was crying just a little bit. I love a book that can pull those emotions out of me! A.K. Evans wrote about a subject a lot of people would not. She did it with care but also didn't sugarcoat it like most would. I feel like that's what make the story so wonderful and beautiful. I think this is her best book y ...more
Jenny
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by this author, it was absolutely amazing! I can’t wait to read more! This book was more than I ever thought it would be. I love Lexi and Cruz. Cruz is perfect! I love the supporting characters. The chemistry between Lexi and Cruz is so hot. The storyline kept me interested and was beautifully written. While this book deals with a subject that not every one would be willing to write about, this author did it respectfully. I look forward to reading more books fr ...more
Marika
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story was so beautiful!
Lexi never imagined she would have to overcome something so dark and feeling so hopeless..and when she feels like she is ready, it's when she meet the perfect man, Cruz.
He is everything she might need, so good and strong.
Sadly not everything works for her and soon a dangerous situation out of her control might threaten everything once more.
The story was beautiful and even tho the subject is not the easiest to read for any woman, it worked out because everything was so
Tara
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a fan of A.K. Evans from the beginning. And this book was absolutely no exception. I loved it! This is a survivor story. It is powerful and heartfelt. The story line was written beautifully, and with so much care. I could feel everything the characters felt. Lexie is strong and determined. And Cruz is sexy and sweet, and such a protector. Their story was perfectly intertwined with the rest of the story going on around them. This was such a wonderful read. Now I can’t wait to read the n ...more
Paula D
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a amazing story! Lexi has had something awful happen to her that changes her life forever. Trying to keep going is a struggle daily. Cruz a amazing man that made my heart skip a beat by his love and strength. Two people that build each other up in a messed up world and I loved seeing it all open up for us to experience. A very deep book with serious issues that reminds us. Strength and love will get you through anything. 5/5 stars
Dana
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it

Mari Westphal
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

Althought 'Overcome' has a heavy and sensitive plot, it was a interesting reading. The author addresses very well the subject regarding the rape, the victim's shame, guilt, pain and how a victim becomes a survivor. Usually I don't like to read this kind of theme, but A.K. Evans shows us Lexi as a survivor, a woman who didn't accept to be part of the statistics, a woman who fights to take back her life.

Besides all her traumas, Lexi Townsend is strong and determined. Even with fear, she has a care
Tammy Huk
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author did a wonderful job of addressing a very sensitive subject. From the moment I read the Prologue I was intrigued and the story itself did not disappoint. Every woman deserves a man like Cruz Cunningham in their life, to protect them and to help them heal and learn to trust again.
Amy Fogarty
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I was excited to read Lexi and Cruz's story since we caught a glimpse of them in the Everything series and Evans didn't disappoint. The story had everything you could want from an A.K.Evans book and more. Evans handles the subject matter of the story in a compelling and realistic manner.

She doesn't shy away from the brutal truth or rawness of the events that happen to Lexi, which made me love the book even more for the realness it posseced. Lexi is written as a woman who experiences a horr
Trudi
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Overcome was about a very delicate, heart wrenching topic, A.K. Evans managed to show compassion and understanding for Lexi showing how she overcame the fear and guilt but also showed Lexi's strength. The chemistry between Lexi and Cruz was amazing, a true love that had the perfect ending.

Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
After reading Obsessed, the first book in this series, I was leery of starting Overcome. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much better the writing was in this book was than its predecessor, though there is still room for growth. Again, the story was decent, if a little predictable, and I was rooting for Lexi and Cruz throughout the book.

I have always loved books about survivors of all types, but those about women who’ve overcome sexual assault have always held a special place in my heart. As
« previous 1 3 next »

Cunningham Security (3 books)
  • Obsessed (Cunningham Security, #1)
  • Desperate (Cunningham Security, #3)