Start by marking “My Life” as Want to Read:
My Life

My Life

My Life is the autobiography of the first female Prime Minister of Israel, Golda Meir. The book is both frank and very revealing of her personality and goals. Her total lack of pretense is especially winning. Meir's practical idealism can be seen in efforts as diverse as the beautification of kibbutzim and her strong advocacy of unemployment benefits. The work that 'most c ...more
Published September 1st 1989 by Dell Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about My Life, please sign up.

Start your review of My Life
Nat
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

When I first discovered My Life, my excitement regarding this book was sky-high because I had this urgent need, seemingly out of nowhere, to find out everything about Golda Meir, known as the "strong-willed, straight-talking, gray-bunned grandmother of the Jewish people."

This is Golda Meir's long-awaited personal and moving story of her life. For the first time, we experience through her own words how it happened that this amazing wom
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My Life by Golda Meir is a compelling autobiography, which tells of the life of this amazing woman, from her early poverty-stricken childhood in Kiev, to her tenure as Prime Minister of Israel, from 1969 to 1974.
It is also the story of Zionism, and the State of Israel-it's struggle to be born, amidst Arab and British hostility, and its struggle to survive against the venomous hatred of the Arab world, and the treachery of the international community.
She writes at length about the str
Bart
Jul 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students of 20th century history
Golda Meir’s autobiography is a wonderful story about a driven person whom circumstances conspired to make great. It is also a fine account of one of the 20th century’s most fascinating stories: Israel.

Is it biased in favor of the Jewish view of things? Completely. And unapologetically.

But that is what one should expect from the autobiography of a former Israeli prime minister. It complements well, and anticipates, Ariel Sharon’s Warrior. What Sharon did with military might, Meir did with spe
Poiema
The stories of the ancient Hebrews have enthralled generation after generation:their release from Egyptian bondage, the opening of the Red Sea, the day the sun stood still, manna falling from heaven. These stories are known and loved by peoples of many nations. And those nations witnessed a modern day miracle in 1948, when the Jews, after being scattered and without a homeland for 2,000 years, were reestablished in Palestine and the nation Israel was reborn.

Golda Meir, Israel's four
REEM
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is about the biography of a leading women, she is describing the first stories of the Jews immigration into Palestine and explains the steps of establishing a homeland to them.

I shared many human feelings with her like, pain, hunger & deprivation, injustice, continuous terror,ambition, dreaming of brighter future while losing childhood's dream, and I realized that as human beings we share much more than any other identifications!

Yet, I am still believing in my documente
Shirin Abdel Rahman
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Golda is writing about her life as a Daughter to a poor Jew who faced discrimination even at the Soviet union Army where he served,As an Immigrant to America then Israel,As a mother to a son and a daughter and finally as a Prime Minster(only female Prime Minster in the Middle East) to a new born country in the middle east.
She is writing as a woman and how she have to handle her both lives as a mother and a wife and as a political figure who during her leadership her country was in war was
Karen
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the 2nd time I read this book... Once about 15 years ago. Absolutely loved it. Lots of detail, historical facts, and very descriptive of her life during the early years of Israel.
Marwan Asmar
May 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Although her biography is now dated ‘My Life, The Autobiography of Gold Meir, (London, Futura, 1984) must be seen as a classic of how an Israeli state was implanted on an existing social, economic and political structures that had been developing since millennia. However, these are forgotten as she talks so passionately about her "ingathering of exiles" for Jews to assemble in one place.
Meir is involved in a manufacturing process, choosing to ignore and dismiss out of hand, the hundreds of
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
She writes at length about the str
Amy Goldman
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story of Golda Meir. Not a quick, easy read but full of facts about Israel’s creation and the pioneers who made sure the Zionists’ dream of a Jewish homeland became a reality. A truly amazing woman, ahead of her time who said it directly and simply. She gave a lot of herself (and sacrificed a lot) to ensure the success of the Jewish State. Her love of the land and her passion for her causes are evident in all that she does. She weaves world view and in particular, the neighboring Arab st ...more
Madeline
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not just about an extremely interesting life but also a history of the state of Israel, as she was involved from almost the beginning of Zionism. I think it was VERY informative and enlightening and I hope more people read it because I think it is a history more people should know about. Golda Meir was a remarkable woman.
Reshma Menon
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The word that kept coming back to
my mind was 'indomitable'. Mrs. Meir had a spirit of a warrior and a vision of a leader, and this autobiography as gripping as it is makes me ponder upon how full a life she has had! I will think of her every time I think of Israel and not taking 'no' for an answer is the biggest strength we could possibly have. Shalom.
Luis Zhao
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I read about the sacred places and Jewish people. The first one is Bible. Things, or mostly opinions, are different from what I heard from my own country. She is very straightforward and smart in dealing with other countries, but still writing the book seems another struggling for her.
Zak
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely fantastic read. Being that it is a memoir, her take on Israel, Zionism, and the like is emotional rather than academic. This gives is a very intimate account of what transpired. I would highly recommend this book as a first step to anyone who wants to understand more about Israel.
Madeline
Amazing story. Golda Meir, former Israeli Prime Minister, gives a very personal account of the creation of Israel and the journey and people that made her the incredible woman she became. Engaging, informative, and occasionally philosophical it is a wonderful read.
Samantha
Sep 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Meir is one of the few people truly worthy of writing an autobiography. What a life! This book is so important to anyone who wants to know about Israel, but it also contains wisdom about life, leadership, and being morally responsible to other people.
Irene
Wonderful personal account of the beginnings of the Israeli state led through war and trumph by a WOMAN.
Nena
Nov 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Extraordinary book from an exrtaordinary woman. Extremely well written, inspiring, and captivating. I will read again and again, until the highlighting gets in the way and I have to buy another copy.
G.
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tells the story of the birth of a nation and an incredible woman. Loved it!
Josephine Draper
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
I picked up this book in a charity shop as I enjoy biographies. I had only vaguely heard of Golda Meir as a past Israeli prime minister but the very fact that she was a female prime minister in the 1970s merits a read. Interestingly the fact that she is a woman is of almost no consequence in the scope of her career which was somewhat surprising.

I get the impression that Golda Meir was someone who did most things well. She was evidently very intelligent, a powerful speaker and a formi
Brian
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As part of my ongoing project to educate myself about the State of Israel, I found this biography extremely helpful. It tells the story of Israel from the 1920s, when Jews, including Golda Meir began to arrive in large(r) numbers and reclaim the desert and develop the dusty towns (not invading, or usurping, or driving people out, but buying land legally, and settling with permission from the British Mandate governing body of the time). It continues through to the year 1974, following the Yom Kip ...more
Julie Gray
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am an American who has lived in Israel for a number of years and I only knew about Golda Meir peripherally as a politician who had failed Israel in the 1973 war. How wrong I was. Israel owes a huge debt to Meir, as one of the early founders and as a woman who swam upstream at a time when women simply weren't in politics and certainly not in this part of the world. Though she was flawed and readily admits to that, Meir followed her calling, as it were, no matter the personal and professional co ...more
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Golda Meir was a self-absorbed, ambitious socialist for the most part but loved Israel and did the hard work of building that nation into the strong power it is today. I have to think that while she probably did not believe in the God of Israel, God still used her to bring about a place for His final plea to the world. An interesting read and gives much insight about the birth of this great nation.
Shahad Abdulreda
Apr 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There is something you should know about Jewish before you read this book , they are lairs, they manipulate the facts and change the history and this book is a bunch of lies. and im not surprised that she didnt mention the Palestinian catastrophe in 1948 and 1967 cause it will show their true self ( Murderers ).
على والى
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book
From the heart
It s an analysis missing 2 things:
- the explanation of what happened (rather than jumping in the analysis and the need to go online to check more info)
- the opinion of the arabs
She was too one sided
Midwest Geek
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history and memoir readers.
I read this back in the 1970's. I really enjoyed it. Golda was a great woman and leader, long before "women's liberation" took hold.
Tony Laplume
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And what a truly astonishing life it was. I found this in a used book sale some time ago, and I immediately knew I would have to read it, if only to get a firsthand account of how the State of Israel came about. I confess to have previously known little about Golda Meir except perhaps that she existed and that she had been portrayed in Spielberg's 2005 movie Munich, depicting an episode only briefly referenced in My Life. Suffice to say, I learned a lot.

About the founding of modern Israel, I kne
Amy
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one amazing woman. I am in awe of all the work she did for Israel.
Marilyn
Ultimate Reading Challenge 2016. A political memoir.

Interesting. A truly amazing woman. The Jews are nothing if not tenacious.

The Russians, Germans, Poles, Brits, and American Government can NEVER do enough to apologize to the Jews and the State of Israel. And just how impotent are ALL of the Arab Nations that together they have still not been able to meet their stated goal, the elimination of the State of Israel and the Jewish people? It is very clear that the Jews merel
Shiloh
Oct 06, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because she was one of my mom's mentors. I do believe she is a strong woman with her own views on Israel. I both admire her and disagree with some of her one-sided views, but enjoyed the book. I will need to read a few other biographies of former prime ministers of Israel to make sure I have my facts straight since she only told her view and what she new of Israel's actions. I also might try reading another version of a bio on Golda that someone else wrote (might be more telling ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
My Life by Golda Meir 2 13 Mar 20, 2016 08:12PM

• Story of My Life
  • The Prime Ministers: An Intimate Narrative of Israeli Leadership
  • The Missing Peace: The Inside Story of the Fight for Middle East Peace
  • Hannah Senesh, Her Life and Diary
  • A Durable Peace: Israel and its Place Among the Nations
  • Like Dreamers: The Story of the Israeli Paratroopers Who Reunited Jerusalem and Divided a Nation
  • Menachem Begin: The Battle for Israel's Soul
  • A General's Life: An Autobiography
  • السلام الضائع في اتفاقيات كامب ديفيد
  • The Yom Kippur War: The Epic Encounter That Transformed the Middle East
  • Gertrude and Alice
Golda Meir, known as Golda Meyerson from 1917–56) was the fourth Prime Minister of the State of Israel.

Meir was elected Prime Minister of Israel on 17 March 1969, after serving as Minister of Labour and Foreign Minister. Israel's first and the world's third female to hold such an office, she was described as the "Iron Lady" of Israeli politics years before the epithet became associated
“One cannot and must not try to erase the past merely because it does not fit the present.” 244 likes
“ولقد تعلمت في تلك الأيام درسا هاما غير سياسي، وهو أن الأمور لا تحدث فجأة، وأنه لا يكفي أن يؤمن المرء بشيء ما وإنما يجب أن يكون لديه الجلد على مواجهة العقبات والكفاح من أجل قهرها.” 5 likes