Start by marking “Comet Rising (Shadow Weaver, #2)” as Want to Read:
Comet Rising (Shadow Weaver, #2)

Comet Rising

(Shadow Weaver #2)

Something is very wrong with the sky...

Emmeline and Lucas are safe from Lady Aisling and her soldiers for the time being. The only thing that mars their peaceful life is Emmeline's former shadow, Dar. Still shut in her cage, she constantly tries to manipulate Emmeline to set her free.

Then one night the Cerelia Comet, the reason for their magical abilities, returns... Twelv
Published January 1st 2019 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

Start your review of Comet Rising (Shadow Weaver, #2)
Mischenko
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

We read Shadow Weaver last year and really enjoyed it, so we were excited to get into the sequel, Comet Rising. Even though I requested this from NetGalley and was approved, we also bought a copy for our home library.

The second book starts right where the first left off. Emmeline is living with Lucas and his parents. Everyone seems to be safe from evil Lady Aisling for the time being. Dar (Emmeline’s former shadow and best friend) is safely locked away in a cage and everything seems to be se
Christina Reid
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great conclusion to a fantastic middle-grade duology with originality in spades! Loved it!
pdbkwm
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not as good as Shadow Weaver, but still just as great. Comet Rising takes place right where Shadow Weaver left us before taking us on a wild journey to the end.

While the ending left me wanting more, I still felt myself loving every moment of this. The characters, both old and new, we're engaging and dynamic. The plot continues being crisp and fast paced, without losing the itself to the story. And our villain was pretty great too. Scary, without feeling over the top. She felt human, which added
Kelsey
Apr 06, 2020 added it
This is a fantastic book
Zezee
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
While Shadow Weaver focused on getting the reader accustomed to the world by making her learn more about it as Emmeline does, Comet Rising focuses on the risks and conflicts touched on in the first book. In Comet Rising, we learn more about Lady Aisling and her relationship with Dar. We also encounter other talented children as Emmeline and her friend Lucas tries to find and rally them and their parents to oppose and defeat Lady Aisling.

But as rousing and adventurous as that sounds, I was not th
Carina Olsen
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This second book was a pretty exciting conclusion to a stunning middle grade duology. I have enjoyed reading these two books a whole bunch. And I simply love this author. She is awesome. Though I liked this final book a whole bunch, I sadly didn't love it like I wanted to. So I'm giving it three stars. But positive stars.

As there were parts of this second book that I liked very much. I only wish that there was more of certain things. Sigh. And I wish the ending had been longer. But despite that,
Pop Bop
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Crisp, Fast Paced, Well Told Adventure

This book starts out a bit on the dreamy side in terms of scene setting, and then takes off. It's a sequel and part of that slow start is to allow for some backstory and some catching up for readers new to the series, but once that's out of the way the tale never looks back.

The premise is elegant, but simple to grasp, and is at just the right level for a middle grade reader. Some children have special talents, although only one to a customer. The villain's
Nannette Demmler
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by Sourcebooks via NetGalley for an honest review.

I reviewed the first book in this series, Shadow Weaver, last year. I was excited to pick this one up and spend some more time with Emmeline and Lucas. Plus I really like that cover, it goes with the first one so nicely!
Emmeline is a much stronger character in this book. She has grown a lot and understands more about herself and others with talent. She still has a bit of a weak spot when it comes to Dar, but I understood why. She is
Kristiana Y. Sfirlea
I was thrilled to receive an ARC of COMET RISING through a Twitter giveaway. I've had it on my TBR pile for months and have been waiting eagerly for its release date, so to get an early copy was a huge delight!

I enjoyed this book as much as the first one - which is to say, a lot! As with SHADOW WEAVER, the characters and their dynamics are excellent, the pacing makes you never want to stop reading, and the magic of the world is unique and intriguing in its expression. I love how darkness and li
Nicole
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Alone we are powerful, but together, we can do real magic."

Comet Rising is the sequel to Shadow Weaver. About two months after the incidents in Shadow Weaver, Emmeline's shadow, Dar, is locked away in the attic. Emmeline and Lucas are gifted with shadow weaving and light singing due to being blessed by the Cerelia Comet at birth. Lady Aisling, a magic eater, is hunting down blessed magical children for her their talents. The Cerelia Comet only comes every 25 years but Dar tells Emmeline the
The Bookish Ballad
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Story Eater
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-2019
Emmeline and Lucas are back, and this time they’re on the run from Lady Aisling herself. Comet Rising sets quite the pace compared to its predecessor, Shadow Weaver, and it also sets a different tone. Now, instead of only trying to hide out from her parents and the soldiers coming for her, Emmeline sets out with her friend Lucas to rally help from other talented children in order to defeat Lady Aisling once and for all.

I quite liked this sequel; I usually do not favor a sequel over the first in
Jess Macallan
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
I enjoyed this fast-paced sequel to SHADOW WEAVER. It picks up right where book 1 leaves off, and I enjoyed seeing the characters' growth. Emmeline continues to struggle with Dar but wants to do the right thing. Both characters get to showcase their talents throughout the book. I also enjoyed the worldbuilding, different talents, and new characters.

I wish readers could have seen more from Lucas as well as a longer ending. I won't give away spoilers, but I would have preferred a little more resol
Nancy
Emmeline (a shadow weaver) and best friend Lucas (a light singer) are hunted while searching for Lucas’ missing parents and talent allies to fight evil Lady Aisling, who kidnaps magical children of all sorts to plant in her dying Garden of Souls where she feasts on their powers. Using a sky shaker, Lady Aisling makes the Cerelia Comet appear twelve years early to produce more talents—and misaligns the heavens, which must be set right before destruction hits. More complications arise as Emmeline ...more
jess  (bibliophilicjester)

This duology was fun but slightly creepy?! In a good way. I wasn't a fan of how they kept the sort of morally gray character in a literal cage, then kept talking about controlling her. It paralleled what lady aisling was doing, but it was never directly stated or corrected. Some bits felt messy and repetitive, but I read middle grade for the adventure!! Def not for the exceptional grammar or plot structure, lol. I think kids would have a lot of fun with this duology, as long as they wo
Cheryl
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Emmaline is safe from Lady Aisling for now, living with Lucas and his family with Dar still in captivity. But Lady Aisling has found a sky shaker, and brought the comet that bestows magical gifts back early, thus throwing the planets off. Lots of danger and adventure, new friends and abilities. An imaginative and engaging end to the duology.
Dakota
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Okay so I know this is a middle grade book but I absolutely LOVE MarcyKate Connolly. I have loved all four of her books that I have read and despite them being for a younger audience, I will continue to read them. I am so excited to read Hollow dolls beacuse I was so curious about simone and the others. AAAAHhhh I love it <3 ...more
Celeste
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this series! The world building is great and the characters are so enjoyable. My only gripe would be wanting a second book. We got new characters thrown at us in this and I really wanted to explore lady aislings past a little more. Also the ruins!
Jennifer Kelley
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book picks up a few months after the events of the first book. Such as exciting as the first, this is a wonderful fantasy for middle grades. It's a bit dark in places.
Highly recommend this series!
I received an E-ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Kiri
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great ending to such a great pair of books! I put it off because I didn't want it to end, but I'm happy to see that ending now. Emmeline, Dar, Lucas, all of the children in these books have my heart and soul.
Vanessa
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 rounded down this time. Shouldn’t have continued with this series. The plot points were too heavy-handed and it felt like a chore to finish. The premise was interesting; a comet that gives people various magical “talents,” but in execution it was not my thing. Oh well.
Sammm
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, mini-rtc
4 for 3.5~4. I do like it a bit more than I do the first book, but if it reaches 5k+ ratings and still has the average over 4, I may lower mine to a 3.

Mini review WIP though not anytime soon.
Lori
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the sequel as much as the 1st book! I really hope there will be more adventures with Emmeline, Lucas, and Dar!
Lizzie
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great duology! I enjoyed this just as much as the first book.
Ava
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great way to finish and wrap everything up!!!
Jen Leffers
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
My sons loved it!!!
Rachel
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Emmeline and Lucas meet other kids like them, which is really cool. They explore the kingdom more and use their talents to face down Lady Aisling. I really liked the ending, it was fitting.
Ragan Dendy
I really enjoyed the ending to this series, even if it all felt like everything resolved way too easily.
Kerrie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I flew through this one! Great sequel to Shadow Weaver!
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Probably 3.5. Very imaginative and readable. Action-packed.
Goodreads Librari...: Delete Cover, Please 9 47 Jul 10, 2018 09:09AM

• Me, Frida, and the Secret of the Peacock Ring
  • Mr. Gedrick and Me
  • The Boo-Boos That Changed the World: A True Story about an Accidental Invention (Really!)
  • El Chupacabras
  • Captain Superlative
  • Game Changers: The Story of Venus and Serena Williams
  • Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat, #1)
  • The Adventures of a Girl Called Bicycle
  • Watchdog
  • Misfits (Royal Academy Rebels #1)
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • Walking with Miss Millie
  • Nightbooks
  • The Lost Girl
  • The Dragon Slayer: Folktales from Latin America
  • Willa of the Wood (Willa, #1)
  • The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)
  • Wished (Fairy Tale Reform School #5)
I’m an author and nonprofit administrator living in New England with my husband and pugs. I’m also a coffee addict, voracious reader, and recurring commuter. Represented by Suzie Townsend of New Leaf Literary.

Shadow Weaver (2 books)
  • Shadow Weaver (Shadow Weaver, #1)