Start by marking “The Spell Speakers (Portals to Whyland #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Spell Speakers (Portals to Whyland #0.5)

The Spell Speakers

(Portals to Whyland #0.5)

Published 2018

Start your review of The Spell Speakers (Portals to Whyland #0.5)
Melinda Sharp
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My nephews and I like to arrange "magic book evenings." We gather together and read aloud interesting books in turn. I, like them (despite the age) ) really like fantasy, magic, fairy tales, etc.
We spent few pleasant evenings reading and discussing Spell Speakers: An Intro to Whyland by Day Leitao. The plot is interesting, the characters are complex. The main thing is that there is a prospect for their development. This is a great introduction to an interesting series. Each of us had different v
Atlas
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-s

* *
2 / 5

I didn't realise this was a novella when I requested it on Netgalley - my, myself, and I don't get on all that well with novellas for the exact reason that this book didn't work for me: it was too short for how much it tried to pack in. Spell Speakers: An Intro to Whyland tries to cover all of the following in a book that took me under thirty minutes to read: boy lives in village that supposedly practices illegal magic (very little magic is featured in book), boy loses his mum, boy meet
Jasmine
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novella introduces the world of Whyland and the backstory to the main players of the upcoming Portals of Whyland series. For such a quick introduction, the novella is thoughtful, artfully written, and filled with personality-defining events. While I am sure you would be able to start the upcoming series without reading The Spell Speakers, I would urge you to pick up and start with it anyway. The tragedies of this short glimpse into our characters are worth experiencing first hand.

Though you
Natalie panda eyes
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recieved from Netgalley. A short introduction with new magic and characters. I found the princess’ friendship sweet. The truth test was entertaining. I think the father will turn out to be a monster but I’m not sure what to think about Sian yet. He’s an interesting character with his own game plan. This one left a lot of questions waiting to be answered.
Meaghan
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
First off, I would like to thank the publisher and author for providing me this ARC to review. Please note that the version I read was an advanced copy, and certain events/language may be changed in the published edition.

Stars (Out of 10): 3/10 Stars

Spoiler Free: This novella was meant to introduce the world and make readers more interested in the series, but I don’t really think this book did that at all. If I were to judge this novella purely on how well it accomplishes that task, it would’ve
chrissy

**I received a free PDF copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed in this review are mine and 100% honest.**

I wasn't a huge fan of this. I didn't hate it, however, I just thought that it did not live up to what the purpose of this novella was, to introduce to Whyland, and the execution could have been amped up a bit. Okay, more than just a bit.

The writing was not enjoyable. It felt so boring, for lack of a better describing word. It had a very straigh
Quintin Zimmermann
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
The familiar fantasy tropes are here: Village boy. First tick on the checklist. Village boy forced to leave said village. Another tick. Village boy meets princess . Of course, he must. Tick. Village boy is at the cusp of manifesting unexplained powers/abilities/magic. Naturally, tick. The whole fate of the world rests on the village boy's little shoulders. Tick, tick, tick.

Being an introductory novella into the forthcoming Whyland fantasy series, there is not a great deal of exposition, but perh
Bex
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-s, reviews
Okay so I’m going to be completely honest - I wanted to read this novella solely for that beautiful cover. Unfortunately that was a mistake. This novella is supposed to entice you into reading the wider series, but for me that mark was well and truly missed; it was drier than a cracker in a desert.

The idea, particularly the promise of a new and forbidden magic system, is really compelling. Whenever something is forbidden it’s ten times more exciting right? Not in this case. And I can’t decide if
Jessica
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting YA fantasy novella dealing mostly with a 14-year-old boy adjusting to court life, expectations, and members of his family he'd never met before. Looking forward to reading the rest of this series!

I voluntarily read a Review Copy of this book. All opinions stated are solely my own and no one else’s.

Read more reviews! http://dreamerjbookreviews.blogspot.com
Maddie
May 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
So I got 25% into this book and had to stop. I really didn't like it. The writing style was so jerky, the sentences terrible, the description was non-existent. It felt so run-on to me. I knew nothing about the MC, and didn't feel connected to him in any way. I couldn't keep going, despite the short length.
Mick Dubois
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, fantasy
This prequel is best read after the first book in the "portal to whyland" series, as many facts that are revealed here, are still unknown there. We meet Darian when he's 14 and just lost his mother and is sent to his father and brother, that he didn't know existed till then. Always nice and pleasant to find out backgrounds of the main characters in a series. We also learn that the magic neckless belonged to Darian's mother and how unpopular and nasty the king, as well as his general, really are. ...more
Stephanie
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-received
I received this novella from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

"14-year old Darian was raised in an isolated village, resisting the King and his army. When his life takes a tragic turn, he ends up in the castle, closer to his former enemies than he has ever imagined. His only solace is Cayla, a girl who helps him smile again, for whom he slowly falls in love. But the castle has more dangers than he imagined."

I wanted to like this book - the cover is pretty, and I'm alw
Lunnaris
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
For a full review please visit http://www.awindowtomysoul.com/spell-...

It is probably my favorite book from the saga. Knowing Darian and Cayla’s relationship at last, in addition to each other’s past, explains a lot about why each of them did the things they do in the future. I definitely think the saga should be read in order, starting with this. While it is true that you can understand the story without reading them all, the feeling is completely different.

Basically, it is a warm story, which
throneofreaders
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

This has been a fun and light read for me! I believed it helped me get out of my reading slump!
The world building was not hard to imagine and get into.
The flow of the story and the character's banter were spontaneous and fun!

*coughs* I especially like the way Sian interact with the others *coughs* I'm weak for guys who have a tragic background and pretends to be all tough and mighty (even if he'd look bad to others). Also, I am not overlooking the fact that there's mo
Stine Hopsdal
*free copy received from netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

This book was just okay, and only because it was so short. I think my biggest issue with this book was the writing. It has a very juvenile and at times grocery list-y kind of writing. It didn't invite to any more reading at all. Let's just say I've spent four days avoiding to read 50 odd pages...kind of says everything, no?

I did find the story interesting at times, but the writing style didn't make for a very inviting character
Kat
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Personal rating 2.5 stars

I was sent an e copy from net galley for honest review.

This is an opening novella which I think is aimed at setting up the world ready for the series to continue.

The novella is only 108 pages long and personally, I didn't think there was enough world building, or that enough happened in the book for it to be a separate book. I think that this could have easily been slightly condensed and been the first few chapters in the first actual book in the series.

Not enough hap
Clairisa
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I didn't connect with the characters at all. The story was to fast pace even for a Novella. The only character I found interesting was Sian. Darian and Cayla's relationship developed to quickly. The Novella didn't make me want to read the rest of the series.
Amanda Sagen
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately I struggled to get into this novella. I couldn't connect with the characters and so won't be picking up the series this is an intro for. Beautiful cover work! I'm sure this will be great for others, unfortunately it just isn't for me. Sorry Day.
Annemarie
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
Sian is such an interesting character. I really loved the introduction to this series. The characters and world were interesting, if a bit predictable.
Lejla
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very interesting. I started reading it and fell in love with the plot. I can't wait to see what happens next.
Must read deffinetly!
Jenny Balsamo
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Spell Speaker is a cute, short novella that introduces readers to the world of Whyland where using magic is forbidden.

First of all, I would like to commend how beautiful the book cover is! It really entices readers into reading.

The concept of a new, forbidden magic in a magical world is truly beguiling. It awakens a reader's curiosity. In this novel, we are only given some pieces of information on how the magical system works and what happened to the Kingdom itself that caused the tension b
Shweta
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
For a short preview into an upcoming series this book is a good one. Along with an introduction of most of the characters we get an idea of what's happening and how the things will shape up. Though well written it feels like the book was not well developed.

This book had a lot more scope and had it been a full length novel it would have done justice to the story. Another thing that put me a little off was that magic was very vaguely mentioned in the book. This story has magic at its core and it
Yicheng Liu
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA Fantasy Readers
-Netgalley Review-
8.5/10

The story is interesting, but The plot have very inconsistent pacing and the writing used to introduce characters was quite stilted. The premise of the story was very interesting and there was obviously a lot of World-building been done in the background as several major elements was introduced. However, the significance of how or why magic important or even relevant to the central conflict between the oppressed people and the quote unquote Evil King is vague at best and
Cassandra Fay
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
2.5 Stars.
Disclaimer: I got this as an ARC from Netgalley & of course would like to express my gratitude for the opportunity regardless of how I feel about the novel. My opinions about books I review are just that, my opinions. I would never discourage a writer from writing, nor a reader from reading.

The story is interesting, but I was confused while reading this often. It's really unclear whether this is a middle-grade fantasy, because there are some mature elements, but some very immature ones
Alex Newman
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: good, fantasy, read-18
The Spell Speakers is cute short novella about magic, wizards and sweet love between main and side character. I just can't help, but their scenes... It was just too cute and adorable!
Although, I don't think that this book is something special, there's something great about it and I must say, that I at least enjoyed reading it.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Jenny
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
**Received an ARC from the Publisher via Netgalley**

First, I would like to commend this book for having such a great cover. Yeah, I can totally say, that I am a sucker for books that has a great cover and this is why it usually affects my judgement on why I pick a book.

But with this, Am very sad to say that It did not reach my expectation at all. The teaser was interesting. But then the story lacks the enthusiasm I was looking for.

There are moments I would like to just drop it and don’t finish
Norman
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An interesting book. Darian A young boy loses his mothers to thieves but ends up with foster parents. Later his aunt takes him to the capital to meet his father. It turns out the his father is the general of the army and an older brother Sian is also there. His father forces him to train with his brother. One day he meets Cayla but he does not know who she is an dthus a friendship is established. However parties determine to sparate them and Darian is sent to an army post in the south. Here he e ...more
Veselina
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book, Netgalley!
This is a story before the actual book where the author is preparing us for the adventure of two brothers - so different from one another. One raised by his loving mother and the other - by his cruel father. But the brothers have something in common - they have magic that can manipulate people.
It is short and a bit plain story. Quite predictable.
Foxreadx
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
*Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review *

This was a cute novella that serves as an introduction to a world.
Now, I know that it was a novella, but I still wanted it to be just a little longer, because I didn't get as much of an understanding of the characters, as I get in a little longer books.
But what we got was enjoyable.
Donamarie Fournier
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful introduction to the series. Love the characters and the plots within the plots.

• Kingdom of Sand and Wishes
  • Dragons and Mages: A Limited Edition Anthology
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Efrén Divided
  • Selections from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Piano Solos
  • The Twisted Tree
  • Sands of Eppla (Sands of Eppla #1)
  • The Testing Guide (The Testing, #0.5)
  • Her Secret Billionaire Roommate (Clean Billionaire Romance, #6)
  • Runemarks (Runemarks, #1)
  • The Last Neanderthal
  • Neverwake (Dreamfall #2)
  • The Prince and the Poisoner (Carnival of Fae, #1)
  • Bad Best Man
  • One Good Thing
  • The Reader
  • Reckoning
  • The Jack (The Immortal Series Book Two)

I'm originally from Brazil but I've been living in Montreal, Canada for over 15 years. I've always loved to write stories, and I like to always include romance, action, magic and humor in my writing. I think stories can touch us deeply.

My upcoming book is The Cup and the Prince. If you sign up for my newsletter, you can get its prequel, The Shadows and the Childre

Portals to Whyland (3 books)
  • Step into Magic (Portals to Whyland #1)
  • Kissing Magic (Portals to Whyland #2)
  • Within Magic (Portals to Whyland #3)