Start by marking “Midnight Blade (Soul Stones, #0.1)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Blade (Soul Stones, #0.1)

Midnight Blade

(Soul Stones #0.1)

Librarian note: An older cover for this edition can be found here: 5-Dec-2017.

Kingdoms rise and fall by the blade.

For Davion Callum, that blade is close by his side. All he wants is to uncover the identity of his parents, but instead he finds himself at the helm of Lord Fabian Rommel's epic scheme to conquer Havan and the neighboring kingdom of Sunbury.

When his prey become
Published March 2018 (first published November 17th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Blade

Start your review of Midnight Blade (Soul Stones, #0.1)
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
4 stars.

This book is the perfect choice if you love battles and manly reads. By manly reads I mean books revolving around action rather than feelings, filled with strong men ready to fight for their pride.

TL Branson writes efficiently setting the scene without unnecessary flourish. Every word is weighted and it’s a no nonsense kind of writing.

This is the second prequel in the Soul Stone universe adding another piece to the puzzle.

This short read is about Davidon Callum’s origins. Who is parents
Len Evans Jr
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Wow... I really really liked this novella a lot!
The main character (Callum) troubled me at first since he seemed to be lost in his obsession to find his mother at any cost. The author did an amazing job of adding layer upon layer to his character, slowly revealing just how complex he is and also showing that judging someone before you know them is likely to end in being very wrong about that person. This novella was packed full of action and intrigue, while also taking the time to get to know t
Seregil of Rhiminee
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Because I enjoyed reading T.L. Branson's previous story, Soul Siphon, which has now been retitled as Ash and Steel, I was eager to read Midnight Blade. I was positively surprised by this story, because it's fast-paced and well written fantasy entertainment. It serves as a good introduction to the Soul Stones series, because it tells of the characters' backgrounds.

Midnight Blade is a story about Davion Callum who finds himself being used by Lord Rommel to kill
Kaye
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES!!!
A well written, easy to follow read with twists and turns that keep you captivated and your focus on the scenes playing out before your very eyes. So rich in detail and planned to precision that not a character was out of place and every man moved together as one. It was so realistic you could feel the breeze from the swinging of the blades. Remarkable forsight and plans moved along precisely without pause. You begin to get a feel for the characters some are not
Angel Haze
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya-fantasy
This is the second short story I've read from this author, each leading up to the first book of the Soul Stones series and I really enjoy his writing style. T.L. Branson has a strong voice, compelling characters and is a welcome new addition to the fantasy genre. I love these teasers that count down to the first book and am anxiously awaiting the next installment! ...more
Alex Campbell
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is crazy good! Classic Fantasy styling with T.L. Branson's unique flair for plot and story arrangement make this one of my favorite short stories of all time! Midnight Blade is an action driven tale with real heart, that will have you reading from start to finish without stopping. This book did something that few short stories can, it gave me a few surprises in the story line so I can't help but wonder what this epic fantasy author can do with a full length novel.
Treat yourself to a fe
Beanpole
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great addition to the short story collection leading up to the release of the full length "Soul Stones" series. The author has improved his editing skills and continues to tell a captivating story. This story fills in a lot of character details and sets the stage well for the future works. I find myself wanting to see how everything works out. I have my guesses now, but who knows what will happen until we get to read more! ...more
Carien
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed Soul Siphon, so when I was offered a review copy of Midnight Blade - which is set in the same world, but earlier than Soul Siphon - I jumped at the chance.

This story is a bit longer, so there was more room for character building. The lead character is Davion Callum who also had a role in Soul Siphon. This made that I already knew what choice he would make, but I can't say I minded. Callum is easy to relate to and I rooted for him from the start. Even knowing what he'd eventually
Judi Easley
My Disclaimer:

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book. I am voluntarily providing an honest review in which all opinions are fully my own. I am not being compensated in any way.

~ Judi E. Easley for Blue Cat Review

What it’s about…

Midnight Blade is the story of Davion Callum’s mission to Sunbury as an assassin for King Rommel and how he became the sworn follower of his target, Prince Alexander Drygo.

Soul Siphon is the story of King Rommel of Havan’s attack on Sunbury and King Alexander’s
Victoria Moschou
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This month was full of wonderful and not so wonderful moments, and because of NaNoWriMo, I didn't have the chance to read as many books as I would have wanted. Plus, I wasn't really in the mood to read anything at all; at least none of the books on my TBR list intrigued me enough to pick it up.
But, a couple of weeks ago, T. L. Branson contacted me and requested a review of his Soul Stones latest story which will be published on the 5th of December.

As I enjoyed his previous short story, I deci ...more
Erica Robyn Metcalf
Midnight Blade by T.L. Branson is another short story that is inspired by the world and characters of the upcoming release of the first book in the Soul Stones series, Soul Render.

I had previously read Ash and Steel, another short story in this world, and absolutely loved it. When Mr. Branson reached out to me with a copy of Midnight Blade, I was pumped!

This read made me even more antsy for the release of Soul Render!

Full disclosure: I was given a free copy of this book by the author in exchange
Myriam
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tl-branson
This is the first of the four prequel stories to the upcoming series. I was curious about this story and this author. This is not my usual preference, but I was open to new literary experiences, and I gave it a try. I am so incredibly glad I did! And I am so glad I waited for all four stories to be out before I started reading because I could not stop!
First of all, the author is an amazing story teller and a writer. The story is gripping, interesting and beautifully written. It is all happening
Lana
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was not a swords and sorcery book but definitely a very good all swords read. The fights in this book are spectacular but what struck me most is the fact that Callum, an orphan , ordered to kill at his boss's demand is sent to kill a target but instead finds himself befriended. For the first time in his life he is treated as a friend, a brother even and his loyalties change! The piece of paper he had always clung to, in search of who he was, became suddenly redundant as he started to look f ...more
Alexa K.
Even though I can't say that I loved it, I also can't say that I hated it. I say that it was mostly enjoyable with a few greyish moments. I've been thinking for a while now what rating to give, so I'll probably keep at three stars, I'm still very anticipating the full novel with Drygo, but for now this was not the best read.

I recommend this book to anyone who liked historical fiction AND A LOT OF ACTION. Yes, this was very action filled and that is one of the pros AND cons of the story. It's jus
Marissa Gramoll
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading another short story by T.L. Branson "Soul Siphon" I very much enjoyed Midnight Blade. There is a lot of fun history between Callum and Alexander. I love that you get to read about how they met and the interesting circumstances that lead up to their relationship. Even if you haven't read Soul Siphon this book, Midnight Blade, is a lot of fun. You have high stakes, mystery, confusion with alliances, battles, romance and surprise. This is a pretty short story and I love all the elemen ...more
Gayreth Walden
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Terrific" !

Davion Callum has spent his whole life trying to find out who his parents are. He now has a chance to prove himself and achieve advancement in the employ of a very powerful and dangerous man. All the time still searching for information on his parents . Instead he is thrown into a plot that should get him killed. The storytelling is awesome with a thrilling plot full of intrigue, betrayal and a discovery of an unlikely friendship. The characters are engaging and brought to life. I th
Elda
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great writing!

As one who is not familiar with the intricacies of battle, I was still able to follow what was happening due to the great writing skills of this author. In this short story the reader learns how Drygo and Callum become acquainted and then trusted friends. We also learn the unfortunate way Drygo became king. I highly recommend reading this short story. Lots of palace intrigue, battle maneuvers, and ultimate betrayals. I fully intend to read more stories by this author.
Christi Rose
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the opening paragraph, with a minimum of words, you are drawn into a heart pounding world of excitement, suspense and twists of fate!

This author has created a world out of the Middle Ages, brimming with tense excitement, deceit, constant shifting of loyalties, and plots that grab your attention with breath taking speed and surprises galore! I had to read it in one sitting! Now that I've caught my breath, I'm eager to continue the second book, savoring the knowledge, I won't be disappointed!
Erin Kelch Zerby
Another excellent novella

This author weaves such an amazing story! I felt like I was holding my breath until the last page. The story of Callum and Drygo's budding 'bromance' is interwoven with falling in love, the take over of a kingdom, and finding ones true self. While that in itself is enough reason to crack open this book, you'll also find vivid fight scenes and the occasional comedic moment. I cannot wait for his debut novel!
Shannan Williams
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by this author and I really don't know what took me so long to read this! It was awesome! I never would've thought that I would like short stories but I was very wrong about that. I loved this, great story line and characters. Drygo, Chelsea and Callum....love, love, love them!! Lot's of action and suspense tucked in this story and I am looking forward to the next one! ...more
Pauline Haney Hughes
Great Read!

A short story in the "Soul Stones Origins" I started with "Ash has Steel" and it was so good I had to read the rest. Each one has been great. T.L. Brandon is one to follow. Never boring, story does not stall, good descriptive action. A pleasure to read. Leaves you wanting more. This story " Midnight Blade" has been a favorite.
Sheree
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I don't normally do short stories unless they're part of a series I'm already sucked in to. This is the second of Branson's shorts that I've read and I enjoyed seeing some familiar characters and settings and get a little more back story. I'm looking forward to reading the first full novel from this series. ...more
Tony Breault
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read.

While I enjoyed the book, it was perhaps a bit too close to teen-level reading. Choppy sentence structure and without a lot of depth but, with that being said, it was a fun read and easy page turn. I’ll next move on to the second book in hopes the writing style matures, as the author shows some promise.
Fiona Andrew
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
Fabulous start

What a great short story. Callum is searching for any lead to his parents, all he has is a piece of parchment with his name written on it. Is that enough to help him find out anything? Read the book to be taken on an amazing adventure. Highly recommend.
Frank Geimer
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short story with a lot to say! I can't wait to see how everything turns out in the Soul Stone series. ...more
Gonçalo Messias Mendes
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
3.75⭐
Tony Gallo
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Callum is a new favorite

Really enjoyed the backstory of Callum and the Prince. Can't wait to find out what kind of badassery Callum will be up to in future booksn
Jeffrey A. Dewey
Awesome

Action packed with treachery and transgressed will fighting for The kingdom and realm as moving through the story of intrigue.
Keith Rayment
Nov 20, 2018
Scott
Aug 23, 2018

• Shields in Shadow (The Silent Champions #1)
  • A Sellsword's Compassion (The Seven Virtues #1)
  • Dragon Hero (Riders of Fire, #2)
  • Chaos Trapped (Chaos and Retribution #4)
  • Wreckers Gate (Immortality and Chaos #1)
  • Power Forged (Chaos and Retribution #6)
  • Shadow Hunted (Chaos and Retribution #5)
  • Realm of Beasts (Legend of the Nameless One, #1)
  • Stormborn (Stormborn Saga #1)
  • Ash: The Days of Ash and Fury, Act One: Includes Omens of Fury, Tremors of Fury, and Spawn of Fury
  • Ezaara (Riders of Fire, #1)
  • Queen of Vengeance (The Knights of Alana Book 2)
  • King George The Triumphs and Tragedies in the life of George strait: THE KING OF COUNTRY MUSIC
  • Landsend Plateau (Immortality and Chaos #2)
  • Fantastic Creatures
  • First Message (Dragon School #7)
  • Death March (Euphoria Online #1)
  • Oblivion's Grasp (Immortality and Chaos #5)
T.L. Branson is the author of the Soul Stones series. Branson started writing when he was eighteen and has contributed articles to several blogs and websites over the years. Soul Render is his debut novel in a planned trilogy. He finds his inspiration from the kings (and queen) of story, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, George Lucas, and J.K. Rowling. Born in Pennsylvania, he currently lives in Califor ...more

Soul Stones (5 books)
  • Kingsbane (Soul Stones, #0.2)
  • Ash and Steel (Soul Stones, #0.3)
  • Soul Render (Soul Stones, #1)
  • Soul Shade (Soul Stones, #2)