Start by marking “You Were Born for This: Astrology for Radical Self-Acceptance” as Want to Read:
You Were Born for This: Astrology for Radical Self-Acceptance

You Were Born for This: Astrology for Radical Self-Acceptance

The beloved Los Angeles’ astrologer with more than one million fans shows a new generation how to use astrology as a tool for self-discovery, success, and self-care in this revolutionary guide.

Modern astrology isn’t about passively accepting our fate, it’s about action, and beloved astrologer Chani Nicholas shows you how to bring this life-changing practice into your life
Published January 7th 2020 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about You Were Born for This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Were Born for This

Start your review of You Were Born for This: Astrology for Radical Self-Acceptance
Becca Bishopric Patterson
I love how easy to read and understand this guide is! It is thorough but digestible for a newcomer to astrology. Chani guides you through understanding your chart with the care, nuance and expertise of the best kind of teacher. She shares her wisdom and expertise while prioritizing your agency in the process. Her vulnerability and authenticity shines through her writing and she had me crying by page 2. Highly recommend to anyone wanting to understand more about astrology and/or how to read their ...more
Cameron Airen
This is a great astrology book for anyone who is NEW to astrology. It focuses on your sun, moon and rising sign, and how the three makeup who you are and your life purpose. As someone who is NOT new to astrology, I didn't enjoy it as much though I did appreciate Chani's perspectives on what the sun, moon and our rising signs represent as I haven't heard it explained in the way that she writes. Even though I probably know a fair amount more than the average American about astrology, I wanted ...more
Jasmyne
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really digestible and easy to read. Chani was finally able to clarify a point in my chart that I've had lots of difficulty understanding. Still, ths book left me wanting more. I hope she'll write more books in the future.
Moira
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t remember the last time I’ve been so excited for a book to FINALLY be published. I’ve been dying to get my hands on this since I saw it popping up on social media. If you’ve ever been curious about what your natal chart can tell you about yourself this book will honestly blow you away. It’s written, and organized, in away that makes sense and allows for easy reference. I learned so much about myself today! The journal prompts are a really great touch.
S Brubaker
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
It should be said that I love Chani's writing, regular horoscopes, affirmations, positivity, and her style of astrology. I wasn't entirely sure what I would get out of this book, but was happy to support her regardless. I'm no astro-wiz, but it would be fair to say I can follow more than the average person may, so I understand that I may not have been the target audience for this guide.

Overall, I found You Were Born for This to be lacking meat. There are 287 pages in the book. Once you rule out
Rhea
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is like ... half a book? More like a workbook. If you are BRAND NEW to astrology this is a clear, well designed primer. But for anyone who has general knowledge of astrology, this is a light review. It was enjoyable to read but nowhere near the deep dive I expected from this famous, thoughtful astrologer.
Shalisa
Easy to understand, I appreciated the use of regular words. I appreciate that she talks about Dr. Maya Angelou, white supremacy, slavery, and racism. I had a fear that it would be super white and heteronormative but it is surprisingly not. If your curious but don’t want to dive in too strong, perfect book.
emmy
Dec 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, nonfiction
This book, unfortunately, falls into the popular trope of mainstream astrology of requiring knowledge of birth location and time from the reader in order to engage, thus making the book inaccessible to many marginalized people who don't have access to this information. Disappointing.
Les
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though she kept it brief, I enjoyed reading her origin story. I enjoyed this book, BUT if you already have accessed her readings, you'll have heard much of what she details. Also, while she does address this issue directly, not having one's known birth-minute (not just birthdate) makes this a much less impactful reading experience than if one does (or believes that you do). If I didn't know when my birth was recorded, I'm not sure how much I would enjoy this approach to astrology. Lots of people ...more
Natalie DeYoung
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this book. As usual, it was like Nicholas was peering into my soul. My only complaint is that it felt rushed at the end, like it was unfinished—I turned the last page and said, “that’s it?”
Rachel
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a book I’ll want to come back to a bunch.
Ellen Ricks
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never been more personally called out by the book I was reading and I loved every minutes of it.
Sonja Spinarski
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was raised on astrology, and have never come across a book so engaging and accessible. Chani’s method of simplifying and breaking down each layer is incredibly helpful, and the journal prompts at the end of each segment really invite you to take a moment to really sit and resonate with your discoveries. She is brilliant, and I’m crossing my fingers she releases more soon!
Joy Messinger
[4 stars] An introduction to personal astrology through a lens of justice, healing, and self-love. Admittedly, I’m a bit of an astrology nut and have been a subscriber to Chani Nicholas’ e-newsletter horoscopes and social media for years. This book was a short and enjoyable read that explored signs, planets, houses, and aspects for Sun, Moon, and Ascendant. Those with beginner- or intermediate-level knowledge of astrology will get the most out of this interactive journey through one’s birth ...more
Ashlie
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Chani's perspective on Astrology. I love hearing Astrology through her filter. To be honest I didn't even know what the book was about when I pre-ordered it, I don't know what I expected, but u was surprised to find a "choose your own adventure" guide. Love it.

This book is great for beginners who are just figuring out how to read their charts, it covers the big three - Your sun, moon, and rising in their sign, house, house ruler, as well as major aspects to planets. It's good groundwork
Abbyforth
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Feel kinda guilty counting this toward my reading challenge because the format of the book has you skip SO much content but..... whatever. \_(ツ)_/

This was a great introductory guide for someone like me, who is interested in astrology, but really doesn't understand what things mean beyond our Sun signs!
LeAnn Locher
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is not the kind of astrology you may have known previously. It's a great introduction into more than your sun sign, and written from a clear modern feminist place, understanding racism, patriarchy and queerness. I'm going to be working through this one for months, after initially gobbling it all up.
erika
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this was an interesting take on an introduction to astrology, with a much stronger focus on (and explanation of!) aspects & houses than most. the style of writing will be familiar if you've read chani's horoscopes -- intelligent, caring, challenging. i know i will be revisiting this book often.
Sherrice Mojgani
Amazing way to work through ones chart. Very rewarding to work through it by myself with Chani's helpful prompts. Better than just reading a prepared chart analysis.
Shelby Aranyi
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great resource for those new to astrology, as it focuses on core foundations of understanding your birth chart. Everything is written in a clear, easy to understand way. I found it to be more accessible than other astrology books I've read in the past. I enjoyed the quick "choose your own adventure" style blurbs but those who are more advanced in the subject may find it lacking. The end of the book leaves you wanting to learn more. Fingers crossed she writes a second one.
Rosemary
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chani’s writing is amazing, and YWBFT was such an illuminating read. It helped me understand my chart in a whole new way.
Sara
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I understand some of the criticism that says this book is a little too basic as far as Astrology concepts, but I think the way that Chani frames them and teaches you how they relate to each other can be helpful lessons for Astrology practitioners of all levels. The message of using Astrology to understand your nature, how that feeds into your purpose, and how to accept and honor both is one I haven't explicitly seen in other Astrology texts I've read.
Aimee Thorne-Thomsen
If you are interested in astrology, then this book is a must-have. It will help you understand how the planets and their relationships to each other shape your character. It's both a reference book and a workbook, and among other things, Nicholas is a lovely writer.
Marissa
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Radical self-acceptance means understanding that we were made exactly as we were meant to be. There is no part of us without a purpose. There is no excess in how we are put together. There was no mistake made here.”

Learn to love yourself exactly as you through your natal astrology chart.
Deidre
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changing. This book unlocked a new chapter in my life and gave me strength to overcome deep loss.
Marina
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
You Were Born for This: Astrology for Radical Self-Acceptance manifests Chani Nicholas' illustrious voice, spunk and radiance in a guide for understanding your birth chart. This is a great introduction and affirmation for reading your birth chart, in particular Chani focuses on your sun, moon and rising signs. If you're familiar with birth charts, her written perceptions can benefit your own astrological insights and journey. Overall, Chani's voice shines in this educational, affirmational book!
EL
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book within and hour and the messages within this book resonated deeply with me and I want to work towards living my best life. However, for this book to be effectively read it is mandatory for us to visit her website(mentioned almost in every page on her boook, rightly so) and pull up our customised birth chart. It felt a bit dishonest and kind of like she was deliberately driving traffic to her site where the first thing one sees is the gigantic poster asking you to order her book. ...more
Jordan Valentine
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all, check out my podcast: FOR SCORPIOS BY SCORPIOS: astrology for beginners!

I enjoyed the book! It’s great for astrology beginners like me. While I already knew sun, moon, rising, elements, houses, etc, I didn’t know about the “Homes, Thrones, and Hostile Environments” (I think these are actually called dignities??).

I also wasn’t sure what the Whole Sign system was and how it differed from whatever the standard system is called, BUT when I looked up my Whole Sign chart, my sun
Alyson Willcox
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chani has been giving away her work to us for free so it’s about time you gave her some money for it. Every horoscope she posts every month is so in depth and so spot on and must take her forever to do it. I have always thought “I can’t believe this is free!”

Buy this book! It will change your life. It is the most comprehensive Astrology book I’ve ever read. I couldn’t put it down and stayed up until 3 in the morning reading it and doing the exercises and learning about my chart.

And I’ll read
Louisa
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you’re new to astrology, this is the book for you. The author keeps it simple while getting into some of the important nuances other intro books leave out, and you will leave with a better understanding of your life’s themes, challenges, gifts and purpose. I think this is the best intro to astrology book I’ve ever read and wish it had come out years ago.

However, having a bit more of an intermediate knowledge base, and while this was a fun and meaningful refresh, I didn’t leave with much new
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Heart's Invisible Furies
  • Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
  • Whisper Network
  • Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
  • The Better Liar
  • Astrology for Real Relationships: Understanding You, Me, and How We All Get Along
  • The Alice Network
  • Middle England (Rotters' Club, #3)
  • The Body in Question
  • The Wives
  • Initiated: Memoir of a Witch
  • Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11)
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Wonderful Tonight
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • This Is How You Lose Her