Start by marking “The House of Shadows” as Want to Read:
The House of Shadows

The House of Shadows

(The Storms of War Trilogy #3)

A sweeping and gloriously moving novel of love, war and change in 1930s Europe and America from a brilliant young storyteller recognized on both sides of the Atlantic as “an outstanding new talent” who ranks among the “queens of contemporary fiction.” Kate Williams’s The House of Shadows is the concluding volume in the Storms of War, a groundbreaking, cinematic trilogy tha ...more
Published July 24th 2018 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The House of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House of Shadows

Paromjit
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the last in the trilogy of the sweeping historical saga featuring the de Witt family, but my first read of it, it worked mostly fine as a standalone as there is much information on what has happened previously. This has been compared to Downton Abbey, but it is much darker and the majority of the family characters are distinctly more unlikeable with the possible exception of the half German Celia, who nevertheless still manages to irritate me on a few occasions. This novel covers the yea ...more
Kate
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Fast and light read, concluding the De Witt trilogy. This time Celia is in New York in the months leading up to the Wall Street Crash, which leads to crisis in the De Witt family. Celia continued to irritate me enormously (I think she grows younger, not older) and the new generation of children were also irksome. However, the scenes in New York were enjoyable and I do like the author's prose. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Rebecca Huddlestone
Was this even written by the same author?!

SPOILER ALERT

I am so disappointed with this novel. After waiting for a few years I cannot believe what I have just read. It was more like 50 years of melodramatic soap opera dramas all rolled into one. The writing was clunky, there were so many interludes I lost count and by the end I hated every character except Jonathan.
Sorry, but not my cup of tea at all which is a shame because I enjoyed the first novel in the series.
Bloss ♡
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5

I’ve been waiting for what seems like years for this book and I read it in one sitting. :/

The problem with reading the next book in a series as soon as it’s released is that when the next instalment comes out, you’ve forgotten just about everything!
Once I brought myself back up to speed with the storyline, I read this book in a few hours.

While this was long, it was fast-paced, engaging and complex. The story covers a lot of ground and spans many years.

Here are some unsolicited thoughts o
Cathy
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Execllent read! Well paced historical fiction with a lot of twists and turns, making it a real page turner. My first of Kate Williams’ novels, but won’t be my last.
Olivia
Nov 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing.
Jill Shortt
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as the second in the series
laura collin
Jan 05, 2019
Karyn
Aug 14, 2018
Rebbekka P
rated it did not like it
Feb 22, 2019
Nov 09, 2018
Melissa
Jan 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Hello! Thank you for visiting my page. It's a great privilege to be on here - and to say hi to readers. Thank you very much for all your support and interest in my books! My twitter account is @katewilliamsme and I have a facebook page for Kate Williams author, come and say hello! I'm always thrilled to hear from you and your thoughts about my work.

I grew up in a very modern house in a dormitory

The Storms of War Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Storms of War (The Storms of War #1)
  • The Edge of the Fall (The Storms of War #2)