Start by marking “Lola” as Want to Read:
Lola

Lola

Del exitoso autor en ventas según el New York Times y ganador del Premio Pulitzer, Junot Díaz, nos llega su primer álbum ilustrado acerca de la magia de los recuerdos y el poder infinito de la imaginación, ¡ahora en español!

Todos los niños en la escuela de Lola venían de otra parte. Era una escuela de lugares lejanos.

Así que cuando la maestra de Lola pide a sus alumnos qu
Published March 13th 2018 by Dial Books (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Lola, please sign up.
Christina Carter https://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...
In this article, Junot Diaz discusses the monster from Island Born.…more
In this article, Junot Diaz discusses the monster from Island Born.(less)

Start your review of Lola
David Schaafsma
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
“Just because you can’t remember a place doesn’t mean it isn’t in you.”

Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books. This is book #18 (of 20) of 2018, and this is one of our clear favorites of the year, maybe the collective favorite. Lola was born on an island (which we suspect may be the Dominican Republic, see below) but not raised there. For a school assignment asking her to draw pictures of where she was born, she needs help from relatives and neighbors to make t
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
So, here's a children's librarian secret: sometimes, when we're supposed to be shelf-reading during our down time, we see a book on the shelf and go, "Oh, this looked so cute when I ordered it, but I forgot to actually read it!" and since picture books are so tiny, we just go ahead and read it right there and have our little moment of warm fuzzies and move on. Or sometimes, such as with me and Islandborn earlier today, we end up scurrying off to the bathroom to hide until we can contain ourselve ...more
Lisa Vegan
This is a lovely book. It’s poetic, it has a lot of humor, and a more than a bit of sweetness/pathos. I particularly liked the humor throughout, in both the words and the pictures. I loved the many Spanish words, most with English translations. The art is spectacular, full of color and vibrancy. Gorgeous! This is a perfect book for anyone who comes from elsewhere, or whose family does, and for everybody really since almost everyone knows some people who’ve rather recently come from other places. ...more
Manybooks
As an immigrant myself (from Germany), I have found much with regard to Junot Díaz' 2018 Islandborn to which I can personally relate, although unlike Lola I do and even very strongly remember Germany (as we immigrated to Canada in 1976 when I was ten years old and not such as in Lola's case, when she was baby).

And yes, what I absolutely and totally do appreciate the most about Islandborn is that Lola (when she asks around in her neighbourhood for a school project about one's place of origin) is
Calista
Lola has a school project due - to draw a picture of the land they were from as children before they came to the states. Lola was a baby when she left and didn’t have any memories of the place so she went and asked all of her community about the Island. Through all the different people she got a pretty good picture of what the Island was like for many people and she learned about her past.

I love this device. Each person remembers something different about the Island, good and bad. It’s a fun hi
Autumn
Lovely illustrations of a Dominican NYC girls' world -- no white people in her class, including the teacher. Loving family and community. Lots of good memories of home (and one really bad one). The text is a little bit adult-focused, but it's not a bad start for an amazing adult writer!

Also, I LOL'd at Nelson like 3 times, and was glad his mom brought the cupcakes. She knows what it's like to be with Nelson all day, y'all.
Sara
I feel like I've been hearing the phrase "may you live in interesting times" quite a bit lately. Its supposedly a Chinese curse that's meant to refer to a life lived in a constant state of conflict and crisis. Its often said to me in reference to the neon orange Nazi in the White House but its equally applicable to the ever growing refugee and immigration crisis here as well.

We are a nation of immigrants and it kills me how often we seem to need reminding of that fact. We are a nation built with
Liza Fireman
I really like the beginning of this book, actually almost until the end, when the monster came. And I did not understand the monster, or what it was or should have been, or why it is there.

Lola is a sweet kid that was born on the island. The class got an assignment to draw the place that they were born at. Every kid was from somewhere different, and the kids were excited about the drawing. Except Lola, because she did not remember anything about the island. And then, came the solution, ask other
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
"Memory is Magic."

Junot Diaz writes a picture book, lush in description and characterization, about a little Afro-Latina named Lola, discovering how special memories color our families and experiences.

Pros: :
1. Ah! The brown shades of her family, neighbors, and friends dance on the page. Even the curls represent textures often ignored.
2. The story, including a monster, describes beauty, magic, wonder, and a bit of struggle overcome by the love of the islanders (I'm assuming it's the Dominica
Cheryl
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The audio download is absolutely fantastic. It's read by the author. The illustrations are vivid enough to be lovely on the screen. The text would be too small & dense for me on my tablet, so I'm glad I chose to read it on the PC. (Because I could just listen, but of course I'm a reader so I can't help read along.)

Each word is highlighted in red as it's spoken... I assume because that will help ESL students and early readers. There are a few well-placed sound effects, like music, bats, and seagu
Karen Witzler
More like 4 and a half -- my daughter says five. Beautiful look at family history of immigration through the eyes of a child. The Island seems to be the Dominican Republic and Lola and her family now live in a land of many immigrants where it snows... New York, Connecticut? - but the Island (monsters and all) is always with them. Great illustrations.
La Coccinelle
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I was able to relate to this book more than I thought I would. In high school, I was given a similar assignment, where we were supposed to give a little presentation on our family heritage. At the time, I knew next to nothing about who my ancestors were or where they'd come from. In contrast, my diverse group of friends (from places like India, Sri Lanka, and the Philippines) had no problem with the assignment; they were still in touch with their roots, and some of them had visited their countri ...more
Sarah Hannah
I admit I was kind of expecting this to be trash, because lots of Serious Adult Literary Writers think they can write for children and then they write garbage that is insulting to children, but this one actually works as a story, plus it's funny for adults without smirking at children who might not get all the jokes (looking at you, Phantom Tollbooth, you smug asshole). There is a problem with this book, which is that it wants to be a picturebook (the art! Oh, I loved the art! Loved! So many bro ...more
Laura Harrison
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is early in the year, but Islandborn is quite a standout. The text and gorgeous illustrations meld together perfectly. If I know anything about children's lit awards (and I do), Islandborn has more than a chance at one or more 2019 awards. It is a relevant, beautiful, fun and amazing children's book.
Donalyn
Gorgeous, lush illustrations. Lots of text for a picture book, but worth the journey.
Celeste_pewter
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should probably preface this review by sheepishly admitting: I was surprised to learn Junot Díaz had written a picture book.

I was first introduced to Díaz's work via Drown as an undergraduate, and I think I just sort of assumed that the beautiful, evocative raw storytelling he had shown in Drown and subsequent works, would have a hard time working in different genres.

(If you're judging me for underestimating a writer's talent - judge away. I'm totally judging myself.)

But in Islandborn, Díaz
Abigail
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for (Text Heavy) Picture-Books About the Immigrant Experience
When Lola's class, whose members all came to the United States from other countries, is given an assignment to draw a picture of their first home, the young Dominican-American girl is faced with a quandary. She was just a baby when her family left the Island, and she doesn't remember anything about it. But as she questions family, friends and neighbors, she slowly builds up a picture of this place that is a part of her, even if she can't recall it...

A celebrated author of adult fiction, Dominica
Peacegal
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ISLANDBORN is a beautiful book that bursts with magic, culture, and color. It is an absolute joy to read no matter what your age. It offers up a multicultural perspective that is a needed thing in libraries serving homogeneous small towns like mine.

The only thing that peeved me was the unnecessary use of "like" as a verbal pause in the text. That word is used way too much anyway; it doesn't need to be in the text of a book for beginning readers.
Leonicka
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse, kidlit
Too much text for little ones to read alone but this is the perfect book to read together. It will inevitably prompt questions and stir the imagination. The gorgeous and vibrant illustrations alone would keep my attention for hours. Share it with the Islandborn kids--and adults!--in your life.
Paolo
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
" 'Just because you remember a place doesn't mean it's not in you.' "

Damn. As an immigrant, a third culture kid, and someone who never really remembered much of my homeland, this quote and book struck a chord with me. Highly recommended for kids who have similar experiences.
Tasha
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
When Ms. Obi told Lola’s class that their assignment is to draw a picture of the country they are originally from, Lola is very worried. She doesn’t remember the Island at all, since her family left when she was only a baby. Ms. Obi suggests that Lola talk to others who might remember more. Soon Lola is speaking to lots of people in her neighborhood from the Island and they each have a favorite memory. For some it is the music, for others it’s the colorful homes, others miss the fruit. When Lola ...more
Beth
"Just because you don't remember a place doesn't mean it's not in you."

Lola is given an assignment at school to draw the place where she is from. The problem is, Lola doesn't remember because she came to the United States as a baby. So at her teacher's suggestion, she enlists the help of her family and the people in her neighborhood to help her find that sense of place she is missing.

Junot Diaz is known for his literary fiction, but I hope he writes more picture books because this book was com
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a gorgeous book with incredible illustrations! I absolutely adored 'Islandborn'! The book probes the topics of immigration, community, memory, and culture in a sophisticated, accessible way. It was especially wonderful to see brown-skinned and dark skinned Afro-Latinx protagonists in a children’s book. My niece and nephew loved the illustrations and the writing. I definitely recommend picking this one up!
Ginger
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit-middle-ya
Ok, so maybe this title doesn't totally count for my Goodreads challenge, but still. Sometimes a 48 page children's book is still a better story than fifty shades of twilight.

The story was fine and good, but the illustrations were positively exquisite.
Edward Sullivan
A great story but the text is excessive for a picture book.
Margaret Boling
4/29/2018 ~~ I'm really struggling with a rating for this book: as a book about memories and the immigrant experience for adults, it would be have 5 stars. As a picture book, which by definition is intended for child audiences, I find it to be very abstract. Though I started with 3 stars, through writing about the book, I've moved to 4 stars. The illustrations are vivid and engaging. So much happens on each page. However, don't grab it to share share with a four year old, as the cover might sugg ...more
Chinook
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, america, carribean
From my perspective, the way Díaz introduces Trujillo as the monster of the island is one of the most fascinating things I’ve seen done in a picture book.

Kait really liked the fact that Lola hangs out with her older cousin, rather than it being a sister. She loved the dancing illustrations and how colourful it was and especially the page of snow. And she’s fascinated with all things school related.

Maddie liked the various animals.

So far, though it’s early in, this has been my favourite of the
Heidi Burkhart
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was three stars but the gorgeous illustrations improved the rating!

An interesting, but confusing story about a child who was island born but moves to the US before she can remember her island life. She interviews other people from the DR to learn more about her island. She comes to understand that many people left because of the "monster." We are never really sure what that means as we see the monster in the waves - is it a tidal wave? It seems to me far more likely that it was the aut
R. G. Nairam
This might be a personal preference, but I dislike when books address nonfiction topics out of context, and provide no back matter for further learning on those nonfic topics. I guess one could say that this book is written for children who already have the context? But even Lola doesn't really know it!

I can see its importance on an emotional level, but mentally it frustrates me a little.
Stacy
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Listened on Audiobook. Cute lil story. A story about never forgetting where you come from. I think it be best to consume in book format. Probably would bring the story more alive. Also Junot Diaz has a great voice for audiobooks.

• Dreamers
  • The Proudest Blue
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • Carmela Full of Wishes
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
Junot Díaz was born in the Dominican Republic and raised in New Jersey. He is the author of the critically acclaimed Drown; The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, which won the 2008 Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Critics Circle Award; and This Is How You Lose Her, a New York Times bestseller and National Book Award finalist. He is the recipient of a MacArthur “Genius” Fellowship, PEN/Malamud ...more