Start by marking “The Confounding Case Of The Carisbrook Emeralds (The Casebook of Barnaby Adair 6)” as Want to Read:

The Confounding Case Of The Carisbrook Emeralds

(Casebook of Barnaby Adair #4)

#1 New York Times -bestselling author Stephanie Laurens brings you a tale of emerging and also established love and the many facets of family, interwoven with mystery and murder.

A young lady accused of theft and the gentleman who elects himself her champion enlist the aid of Stokes, Barnaby, Penelope, and friends in pursuing justice, only for the investigators to find the
Published June 14th 2018 by Savdek Management Pty Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Confounding Case Of The Carisbrook Emeralds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Confounding Case Of The Carisbrook Emeralds

Barbara Rogers
Series: Casebook of Barnaby Adair #4
Publication Date: 6/14/18
Number of Pages: 228

This is another lovely, well-written, well-plotted visit with Barnaby Adair and his wife Penelope along with their investigating friends Inspector Stokes and his wife Griselda, and Montague and his wife Violet. You’ll love the characters, you met most of them in earlier books in the series, and the new characters are very sweet and I’ll hope we see more of them in future books.

Miss Cara Di Abaccio’s is the daughter
Sheila Melo
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FINAL DECISION: This is really a mystery with only a dash of secondary romance -- not between the main characters -- this is really the continuing stories of Barnaby and his wife Penelope and their friends who have joined together to work through mysteries of the aristocracy. I enjoyed this mystery and getting to see the characters again.

THE STORY: Miss Cara Di Abaccio is accused by her aunt of stealing the family jewels. This begins an investigation into the theft conducted by Inspector Stokes
Paraphrodite
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
3 stars.

What's with Stephanie Laurens' books lately? The covers are all so amateurish and the synopsis are so long-winded that they virtually give the plots away!

I'm finding the writing draggy as well. Sadly, it's beginning to feel that Ms Laurens may go the way of Johanna Lindsey for me... an old favorite author whose writing no longer appealing to me.
Elaine
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good detective story. Very entertaining read. 5☆
Bernadette
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying ending to a mystery with no real villains. A missing necklace and a dead body, combined with members of high society who are not always what they seem creates an interesting set of complications. The main characters are familiar to readers of Stephanie’s novels and this makes this story as comfortable to read as a pair of good winter slippers. There is good dialogue amongst the characters in the story. This allows the reader to form opinions about them and create their personalities ...more
S.K. Sutphen
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jewelry Gone Missing

Lady Carisbrook's prized emeralds have disappeared, and she has accused her poor relation niece of the theft. Her accusations would have worked but for the fact no one believes the Lady. That's when Inspector Stokes and the Adairs step in. I enjoyed the strong opening scenes and all the twists and turns to the story. I'm not certain the addition of the Lady Carisbrook's maid was needed, but it did answer one question outstanding on the case. Overall, a good read! Plus we see
Becky Tatar
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One morning, Lady Carisbrook storms downstairs, accuses her husband's niece of stealing the family emeralds, and has the police called to arrest her, and in the meantime, throwing her out of the house. At Scotland Yard, Hugo Adair storms in, ready to save the lady in distress. Luckily for Cara, Hugo, and the Carisbrooks, the case brings in Inspector Stokes, and Barnaby Adair, who have worked together in the past, with their wives, solving criminal cases involving the aristocracy. Many twists and ...more
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Family secrets abound in this mystery. Hugo and Cara are essentially relegated to the background of the story, used only as a set up and then fading into obscurity for the majority of the book. So the romance aspect wasn't that interesting, more in it for form, since that's what SL's genre is. I am still not fond of the narrator - I don't see why the women's voices are so breathy or why he pauses where he does, but it was less distracting than last time.
Tina
I got this from the library solely on the strength of the audiobook narrator. Napolean Ryan has a voice like hot buttered butter. And I like historical cozy mysteries. The only thing that gave me pause was the author. I haven't liked the couple of books I had read by this author previously.

My instincts were correct. While the narrator lived up to my expectations, the story didn't do anything really to change my mind about my tepid response to this author's work.

Pj Wright
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy a good mystery

Historical romance mystery gives me a change of pace and always gives me a lift. There is enough twist and turns In this plot to keep you trying to figure out each clue. Enjoyable, and enticing me to the next case.
Barbara Literski
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love

Excellent story written by Stephanie Laurens! The Carisbrook Emeralds are missing and Lady Carisbrook claims that her husband’s niece Cara took them.
Inspector Stokes calls on his friends the Adair’s to help him. This is a book I would recommend to anyone.
Dr M D Greenhill
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Much improve storyte!ling

I've read most of Ms Laurens oevre and this is the first that.doesn't have paragraphs describing sexual activity without hyperbole. I found this off putting., The story was vastly improved.
Jaimie Johnson Grippin
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Splendid

Definitely did not expect the ending that this book had. But once it was through and I revisited things, it made sense. Attention grabbing book as always. Can't wait to see what this group of "investigators" get into next.
Kellye
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Surprising

This was not at all the romance I expected. It is more a reflection of love wrapped up in a mystery. I have to admit I enjoyed that twist and found it quite satisfying. I look forward to the next book in the series, coming soon.
Brenda Golden
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book

Finally another Barnaby Adair novel! This one is just as great ad the other 5. A good bit of mystery with a bit of romance & intrigue added. A great read for a lazy day.
Karen Radachy
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I can't wait for the next Casebook of Barnaby Adair Novel on August 16tth. I love the interaction with Stokes, Barnaby Adair, Penelope, Griselda, Violet, and Montague. I was hoping that Glendower and Rose would appear in this story.
Shirley Penick
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book kept me up way too late turning pages. Barnaby, Penelope, and friends solve the case of the missing emeralds to everyone's satisfaction. And if some romance and matchmaking creep in all the better. The casebook of Barnaby Adair novels are all a fun read. On to the next one for me!
Barbara
Really quite good if one ignores the personality of someone. And I like the explication of types of love (allegedly) in the Regency era. My problem is with "true love" supposedly in place for an utter bitch decades later. Still LOVE Barnaby and Penelope and their crew--all of them.
Nancy Bliven
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic casebook!

As with the others, I didn't put it down until I reached the ending. And as with the others, I was sorry to reach the end. I will try and patiently wait for August and casebook #7.
Ronda Blanke Geiger
Another great read from Stephanie Laurens. I really enjoyed the mystery and the unraveling threads this story brings. The romance is muted in this story but it is more about the mystery and the various people within the group and how they interact that makes this story.
Carol Ma
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Kathleen Freeman
I like the characters for this series and how they go about solving mysteries.
Polly
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable light mystery that also studies the relationship of
the unusual detective team.
Theresa Hurley
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story! Lots of surprises! Enjoyed Cara and Hugo. Nice to see all the main characters!
Pat Loop
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing who done it with my favorite characters. Stephanie Lauren at her best
Annette Meier
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A-mazing! Love, mystery, jealousy, new and familiar characters. A wonderful "case book" - I cannot wait for the next ones.
Ardith
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is part of Stephanie Lauren’s mystery/romance series featuring Barnaby Adair, his wife Penelope, Inspector Stokes of Scotland Yard, and his wife Griselda. They are bff couples who solve mysteries for fun. As Adair and Penelope are well versed in the ton society, they can move where Stokes cannot. Upper crust people do not want to work with lower class police people...

I enjoyed this story - though it is a bit like an earlier mystery in the series. I didn’t realize this until I re-read the pr
Carolm
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book less romance than mystery, but still enjoyable. However, I wanted more Hugo and Cara. After the beginning, they mostly disappeared except as background to solving the mystery.
Mrs Diane
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The romance is definitely secondary in this story and not really a great mystery with a major villain so a very nice change of pace. A solid enjoyable read from Stephanie.
  • Night of the Lightbringer (Sister Fidelma #28)
  • The Duke's Last Hunt (Pevensey Mysteries #2)
  • Kennington House Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 2)
  • Get Me to the Grave on Time
  • The Troubadour's Tale (Oxford Medieval Mysteries, #5)
  • Desire's Prize
  • Awakening the Demon's Queen (Dardanos, Colorado, #5)
  • Duskin
  • Parabellum (Thirty Minutes to Heartbreak, #2)
  • Silken Bonds
  • Untitled (Rokesbys #4)
  • The Governess (Sisters of Woodside Mysteries #1)
  • His Spanish Bride
  • Lord Stillwell's Excellent Engagements (Millworth Manor, #1.5)
  • Murder Most Historical
  • Chains of Folly (Magdalene la Batarde, #4)
  • Finding Center (District Ballet Company #2)
  • Dream Home (Dream, #7)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie

Casebook of Barnaby Adair (5 books)
  • Where the Heart Leads (Casebook of Barnaby Adair, #1)
  • The Masterful Mr. Montague (Casebook of Barnaby Adair, #2)
  • Loving Rose: The Redemption of Malcolm Sinclair (Casebook of Barnaby Adair, #3)
  • The Murder at Mandeville Hall (Casebook of Barnaby Adair, #5)