Start by marking “I Am Marc Chagall” as Want to Read:
I Am Marc Chagall

I Am Marc Chagall

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
"I painted my world, my life, all the things I loved, all the things I dreamed of, all the things I could not say in words. I painted my beloved Russia, my hometown Vitebsk, the Jewish neighborhood where I grew up, the way I saw everything as a child."

During prayers, he would daydream; in school, he was distracted; and at home he worried about what profession he should cho

Published January 1st 2006 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Marc Chagall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Marc Chagall

Nancy Kotkin
Text: 5 stars
Art: 5 stars

Picture book biography of artist Marc Chagall. The first-person POV feels intimate and easily readable despite the amount of words. The curves of the text further reinforce that sense of Chagall's own voice. The text is "loosely inspired" by Chagall's own autobiography and renders a fairly thorough depiction of who he was as a person and an artist.

Mixed media art is reminiscent of Chagall himself, with overtones of Tim Burton. The collages are colorful, textured, and bur
sarafem
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have misgivings about this book being 5 stars; however, I was so captivated by it that I couldn't debate it. This is a biography of the artist Chagall (obviously). His young life was not so extraordinary, other than his gift for painting, but it was still captivating because it wove a sort of dream-like vision of why he created the fantastical pieces that he did. Once the text passed through his childhood and into his adulthood, I thought it lost some of its magic, which was odd because that w ...more
Jacqueline
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful text and art. I enjoyed the first person point of view. Favorite quote:

"In Moscow I also taught orphans of war. These children who had seen their world collapse took the colors and created drawings of fantasy and poetry. I was delighted to see that they understood that the world inside us is at times more real than the world outside. "
Vera Godley
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Typically one would think of a picture book being for young children. We think, usually, ages Pk-8 year olds. In the case of the I Am Marc Chagall by Bimba Landmann it is easily a book that can be of interest and educationally effective through older students. Adults can even find it interesting and attractive.

Capturing the essence of Marc Chagall as he grew up Jewish in Russia and his deep seated insights visually and emotionally into what is going on in his world and that of his village, the f
Jo Oehrlein
Marc Chagall from a young boy through to the time he's a famous artist.

The illustrations are collages.
GoldenjoyBazyll
Apr 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"In Moscow I also taught orphans of war. These childrebn who had seen their world collapse took colors and created drawings of fantasy and poetry. I was delighted to see that they understood that the world inside us is at times more real than the world outside."

I loved this quote!!!!!

This children's book is beautifully done! It is based on the early years of the life of Marc Chagall. Thwe mixed media illustrations are wonderful and are something I will go back over again and again.

We have Chagal
Lauren
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy dioramas in their picture books.
This book was really amazing and enjoyable. I think children, YA's, and adults would all derive some pleasure from reading it. I love the way that Landmann created her scenes out of an assortment of art materials and items from nature (i.e. yarn, fabric, dried flowers, melting candles, corn husks, branches) as well as miniature replications of Chagall's artwork. She used explosions of color for each page's background from bright turquoise to golden yellow to a light plum purple. I also aesthetic ...more
Rachel
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The author uses really beautiful text to tell the story of Marc Chagall's life and art. When my 3 year old requested this for a bedtime story tonight, I had to ask him to repeat it multiple times until I figured out that he was not asking for 'the Archibald book, but 'the Marc Chagall book.' Whatever name you want to call him by, it's still a good book!
Racy-tay
Dec 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books, art-books
I really enjoyed this book - as I enjoy reading kids books about artists. At first I was disappointed that Landmann didn't use Chagall's work as illustration but her own art (which admittedly captured the spirit of Chagall) grew on me throughout the book. By the end I was marveling at how intricate and delicately planned her three dimensional illustrations were.
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredibly illustrated. It uses three dimensional mixed media illustrations. There is so much happening on each page that it takes some time to really appreciate it. It is based loosely on the life of Marc Chagall and how he grew up to travel the world but always remained true to his hometown of Vitebsk where his roots began.
Anna Lewis
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-book-pb
Wonderful NF PB for K-5.
I love to read books about artists in my art appreciation classes that are creatively written. The illustrations and writing pull students into that right-brain world. Ultimately, the children get it, adding so much more to the artist's story than his biography.
Kendall
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Although it is meant for and can be enjoyed by younger ones, I bought this one for help with sixth grade artist essays. There are very few books on Chagall that younger researchers can understand; this is a big help. I hear one on Rousseau is coming next year...there is definitely a need for that!
Kaitlyn Horvath
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ch-02-ncss
I think this book could be so useful in maybe third grade. it would be a good book for social studies since it talks about all the different places he went and the wars. it also is a good book to show kids that they should follow their dreams and they can do anything they dream of.
S10_Abby Alley
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jewish
This is the story of Marc Chagall's life. The illustrations are three-dimensional, and are to die for! The book would be good for upper elementary.
Glenda Jai