Start by marking “Rosie Loves Jack” as Want to Read:
Rosie Loves Jack

Rosie Loves Jack

Rosie loves Jack. Jack loves Rosie. So when they're split up, Rosie will do anything to find the boy who makes the sun shine in her head. Even run away from home. Even cross London and travel to Brighton alone, though the trains are cancelled and the snow is falling. Even though any girl might find that hard, let alone a girl with Down's syndrome. See the world through new ...more
Published September 6th 2018 by Usborne

To ask other readers questions about Rosie Loves Jack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rosie Loves Jack

Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
3.5 out of 5 stars!

The main character Rosie has Down's Syndrome and having never read a story that features a character with DS, I was really impressed by Mel's writing style. There were moments that my heart was absolutely breaking for Rosie and at the end, finishing with a massive smile on my face. This is one of those books where you are curious to see just exactly what happens on someone's important journey. Rosie has a boyfriend called Jack, who is then sent away to Brighton after an incide
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
“Mum told me, ‘Above everything Rose, you are a human bean…. we love the same…. we think the same… and we are as important as each other.’ The words in my head are the same as yours. Sometimes they just come out wonky.”

This book is about Rosie……. and how much she loves Jack. Rosie is a sixteen year old with down syndrome. When she is split up from jack by the world and circumstances, she decide to go on an adventure in order to get together with “her jack” again.

This book was just so so beauti
Aditi ~ •A Thousand Words A Million Books
AS SEEN ON: A THOUSAND WORDS A MILLION BOOKS

I received a review copy from Usbourne Publishing in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.

Rosie Loves Jack is a WONDEROUS debut novel, told from the point of view of a girl who has Down’s syndrome as she navigates the world by herself for the first time.

I have nothing bad to say about this book, so please be aware that this review consists entirely of me gushing about the perfection that is Rosie Loves Jack.

T
oliviasbooks
I love it, when wonderful books find me on their own accord.

I had not heard of this brilliantly voiced story about Rose, a sheltered girl with Down's Syndrome, sneaking out on a tube-and-train roadtrip to be reunited with the love of her life, Jack, in Brighton, before I swapped it on a whim at Tauschticket. Even the cover did not ring any bell, when I curiously looked the title up to find out what it would be about.

I was a bit afraid of the book turning out either too sad or too soppy. But it
Marty :} (thecursedbooks)
This book is everything. I adored reading Rosie’s tale, her dedication to Jack and their relationship was amazing to read about, the lengths she went to stay with him and help him. It was phenomenal. I have never read a book with a protagonist who suffered from Down’s Syndrome and this book made me aware of many more things that I didn’t know about. The author, Mel Darbon, has helped people with learning disabilities through her voluntary work and it shows because Rosie’s characterization is ver ...more
Ruzaika
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Received in exchange for an honest review from Usborne Publishing UK.

Despite having read this book a fair few weeks ago, I kept putting off reviewing it because 1) I was caught up with uni and 2) I couldn't properly gather my thoughts about it. The latter is because there's just so much to talk about that I don't quite know where to start - I still don't, but it wouldn't be fair to put it off till even later so I'm going to give it a shot. Okay? Okay.

Rosie has a boyfriend, Jack, who is at rehab
Kirsty
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I raced through this book and it is just really awesome.

Rosie loves Jack is the story of Rosie a downs syndrome main character. Her boyfriend Jack has recently been moved across the country and Rosie is very upset about this and resolves to find her own way to visit him despite her parent's best efforts to stop her for making contact.

I really enjoyed it as Rosie managed to find her way to Brighton using public transport. For me what this book highlighted is the way in which some people treat ot
Julia Thum
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought I knew a little bit about teenagers with special needs but this extraordinary book has completely changed my perspective. It is an important story and Rosie's incredibly powerful voice has been echoing around my mind ever since I put the book down. I hope she stays there for many years to come - I imagine she will.

The story itself is a real edge of your seat page turner. It tackles some very dark issues, skilfully skips over a lot of sensitive matter and takes you on a tear jerking, l
George (BuriedInBooks)
I got a free copy of Rosie loves Jack from the reading agency for world book night 2019, I was also lucky enough the meet the author Mel Darbon also.

Rosie loves jack is the story of a teenage girl called Rosie. Rosie lives with Down syndrome and has a boyfriend called jack who she loves dearly. Jack has problems of his own though which means he can get quite violent. After jack goes too far one day he’s taken away to attend a anger management course in Brighton.

Rosie then sets out to be inde
Rosanna Threakall
I won a copy of this at YALC! It was much darker than I thought and some of the language was a bit unnecessary but it was a dramatic and gripping story.

*I've decided to lower my rating after reflecting on this book*
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: An ARC was provided via USBorne YA in exchange for an honest review. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

Every once in a while, you come across a book that change not only your perspective about the world but about yourself – Rosie Loves Jack is exactly that kind of book; it hurt my heart so bad, yet I was pulled in immediately, not only by the writing style but also by the character w
Christina Reid
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can't even remember who recommended this one to me...I would never have picked it up based on the cover, but was intrigued by the summary so snapped it up at the library! It is refreshing to see a book about someone with Down's Syndrome that really gives that character a voice and I feel that the author has succeeded in this, even if my own experience of Down's Syndrome is limited to working with children and adults in school and in my gymnastics club.
It took me a while to get into. The pace i
Karen Barber
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Rosie loves Jack. They’re going to marry, have children and live happily ever after. Unfortunately, Rosie’s dad is less than happy with Jack’s influence on his daughter, and after an incident at college he stops Jack seeing his daughter. Rosie is so upset by this that she decides to travel to Brighton to find Jack.
Things go terribly wrong and bad weather forces Rosie to abandon plans to travel by train. Her purse and possessions are stolen from her in a hostel and then she ends up taken in by a
Kristina
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of determination, of kindness and warmth. A realistic and important message. This is a wonderful debut novel and I will read anything Mel Darbon publishes in the future. This is my favourite read of the year. It changed my perspective and allowed me to connect with someone different from the norm. We need more young adult books with such inclusive characters. I hope this book will be read far and wide, and will touch the hearts of everyone.
Paige
I got this ebook from my local library, Camden via their Cloud Library app. I really loved the way that Mel Darbon voiced Rosie and the way that she represented Rosie in such a sensitive way. I really hope that more people think about how they interact with young people with Down's after this, realising that they can have independence, and that one diagnosis does not mean everyone is the same.
stefiereads
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I wrote a full review on my blog:

Everyone, please read this book!
Kristy
Quit on page 80 because the language is atrocious. If the story were more interesting I might have stuck it out a bit longer, but it's not so i won't.
Alyce Hunt
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rosie Loves Jack begins with a newspaper article detailing the story of a teenager with Down's syndrome who has gone missing after running away from home to be reunited with her boyfriend.

When we join Rose, it's before she embarks on her cross-country adventure to Jack, who gets taken away after throwing a chair at school. Jack's brain was hurt when he was born, but Rose trusts that he won't hurt her, no matter how much her dad worries for her safety. In fact, the only reason Rose leaves is beca
Daniella
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
All reviews can be found on my blog, Don't Bend the Spine

Finally, a book that I have been desperate to read for months now was Rosie Loves Jack. I nearly cried when I saw it was available to borrow at my local library, and I took it to be a sign I was supposed to read it. Yes, I am one of those people. Rosie Loves Jack follows a teenage girl called Rosie, who has Down Syndrome. When her boyfriend Jack is “taken away” following an altercation at school, Rosie is determined to be reunited with him
Janet Roberts
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rosie has Downs Syndrome and Jack is autistic, so it's understanderable that Rose's parents are quite thankful when he's sent away to try and learn to curb his violent temper.
Rosie however is determined to find him, and sets off alone, in the depth of winter, unable to read or understand announcements, to travel the considerable distance from her home to Brighton, travelling via London.
Numerous incidents and characters appear in this unusual book, as Rosie struggles to overcome fear, prejudice,
Sreepurna Datta
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 stars / 5

When you see a book written from the point-of-view of a teenage girl with Down's syndrome, you can have two reactions - happiness to see such a book being written, and scepticism because you aren't sure how well it will be written. This book is so kind and sweet and well-written, it melted my sceptic heart.

Things I liked:

- The Down's Syndrome rep: I had no knowledge about this condition beyond what I studied in Biology, and I am truly thankful to this book for making me see
Arjun Randhawa
Rosie Loves Jack is a fiction novel written in first person having a protagonist named Rosie, a teenager with Down's syndrome. It's a narrative of how this one girl doesn't let her disability get in the way of reaching her boyfriend Jack across London to Brighton facing a lot of challenges across the way. The entire book is an adventure-packed ride through the eyes of a special girl who simply wants to be able love someone without any struggles.

I'm a Clinical Psychology major who has dealt with
Palvi Sharma
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Rosie loves Jack by Mel Darbon

Rosie loves Jack is a marvellous, beautiful and heartbreaking debut novel, enlightening the reader about Down's Syndrome.

The book is a story of Rosie a sixteen year old, suffering with Down's Syndrome who is in love with Jack.

Jack has temper and anger issues, which conduce to the separation of Rosie and Jack.
Due to which he was sent off to Brighton.

Jack went to write postcards to her, but sadly it never reaches her, until one day she finds out that her father has de
The Reading Jackdaw
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rosie and Jack by Mel Darbon
I was so glad to finish this book for the simple reason that if I cried anymore then I wouldn’t have been able to read the words! Anyone who says that YA fiction is not for adults needs to read this novel. Rosie loves Jack , she is 16 and 10 months, goes to college and Jack makes her Rosie. Jack is also at college but has been sent away to Brighton, he loves Rosie,Rosie stops his angry. When they are separated Rosie runs away to be with herJack. The pace of this novel
Eve beinguniquebooks
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this book, we meet Rosie a girl with Downs syndrome whom is in love with her boyfriend Jack. The only trouble is her dad who wants them to split up as Jack has anger issues due to his head being hurt as a baby.

So when Jack gets sent away to deal with his anger, he writes to Rosie via postcards her dad hides away but she discovers.

Using her initiative and wanting to be with Jack, Rosie plans with her friend Lou's help, a way to get to Brighton and sets off with her bag of belongings including
Rose White (WhiteRoseStories)
𝗥𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴: 𝟮/𝟱 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘀

❝"I stop your angry, Jack. And you make me strong. You make me Rosie.
"And you make me a good Jack. When you're with me, Rosie, all the darkness vanishes and my brain calms down; even more than when I paint. You take away the black inside my head and turn it into colours."❞

I'm really sad I didn't enjoy this one. After just the first few chapters, I had to put the book down. Maybe it's just because I'm not in the right state of mind at the moment but I found this story so morbid
Simran
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rosie loves Jack - Young Adult (The first thing that popped in my head was Titanic!) About the book, it can be articulated from the title very easily that it's a love story, what's different is that Rosie is a 16 yr old with Down's Syndrome and this is her story. It's a beautiflu heartbreaking yet heartwarming story written from Rosie's perspective who takes it upon herself to find jack who has went away without any information so that she can be with him. I was so happy with the way author has ...more
Fran Clarke
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to get an early copy of Rosie loves Jack at yalc and I am so happy that I did. This both is both wonderful and important. I feel it is so valuable for people to be able to see themselves in books and as someone who works with children with additional needs I wish their were more books where those children and young people could see themselves.

I loved Rosie's character. She was so passionate and very opinionated. I really enjoyed whenever she pulled people up for treating her d
Hailey
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was given a free copy of this book for World Book Night. It's the first book I've read for three months and I've completed it in five days as I was so compelled to keep reading. The author takes you on the journey WITH Rosie; you're like a fly on the wall, unable to alter the course of the story, but you want to keep reading to get her to a better place. The book shows both the kindness and dark side of humanity, and manages to be both heartwarming and harrowing. I'm very pleased that copies o ...more
Sarah Whitaker
Compelling story, clumsy execution.

I was drawn in to Rosie herself and her wellbeing, and held my breath many times as she searched for Jack. However, I also cringed many a time with the style in which it is written. I understand that it is written to supposedly show the perspective of somebody with Down’s Syndrome, however it comes across obviously as ‘how an able-bodied person would assume someone with Down’s would think.’ An example would be writing a sentence just like this one and then rand

• Only Love Can Break Your Heart
  • Deep Water
  • Love Letters
  • Me and Mr J
  • Kook
  • The Luxe Box Set (Luxe, #1-3)
  • Breaking the Rules (The Cornish Village School #1)
  • How to Mend a Broken Heart
  • Waiting For You
  • Remix
  • Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
  • Vaskilintu
  • How To Make A Friend
  • The Book of Love
  • Fierce Fragile Hearts (Beautiful Broken Things, #2)
  • Underneath
  • What Would Beyoncé Do?!
Mel Darbon spent a large part of her childhood inventing stories to keep her autistic brother happy on car journeys. She won’t mention the time spent with him standing by level crossings waiting for the InterCity 125 to go past as she wouldn’t want to be labelled a train spotter.

Life took her in many different directions working as a theatre designer, a freelance artist, teaching young adults wit