Start by marking “Radical Candor: How to Get What You Want by Saying What You Mean” as Want to Read:
Radical Candor: How to Get What You Want by Saying What You Mean

Radical Candor: How to Get What You Want by Saying What You Mean

books
Published March 8th 2018 by Pan

To ask other readers questions about Radical Candor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radical Candor

Brady Salz
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall, it splits ride down the middle of "random, Silicon Valley stories" and "good ways to manage a team". There's no real rhyme or reason to when the book decides to spike or plummet in quality, and it feels like it happens on a paragraph by paragraph basis.

Highlights: rock star vs super star, meetingi cadence, candor guidance
Lisa
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Luckily, the title is misleading. This is not about „getting what you want“ but about working in teams and establishing a good climate and open feedback culture. It is written for people managers but anyone working in a team can benefit. Well-written, well-explained and a quick read full of interesting anecdotes from the author‘s professional life.
Joseph Michael
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A tour de force of advice and insights on the new way to give guidance and criticism to anyone. She really is holistic and balanced in her use of example and theory. I think the stories are the most helpful in grasping the concept and the diagrams work for the math-types. I really benefited from learning from my colleagues that I was a manipulative insecure type when it came to the way I gave praise, guidance and criticism. It's a really useful tool, especially for millennials who's knee jerk re ...more
Ian Scott
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Management advice heavily geared to the technology industry. The anecdotes are illuminating, the methods suggested are practical and valuable, the writing style is easy. A slight weakness is that the majority of the author's experiences are drawn from work at the successful tech giants in the USA. Management becomes easier when the cash is rolling in and you are rarely short of high-grade applicants. She does also draw on experience with a failed start-up but perhaps more of the book could have ...more
Adelyne
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
What seemed to be meant as a short-ish and relatively easy-to-read guide to management started off well, as Scott’s incorporation of her own personal experiences as anecdotes made the book read well. She then goes on to introduce her concept of radical candor, a combination of being critical and caring personally when providing feedback (in both directions, not necessarily unidirectionally from the manager to the managed), and how the lack of either can conversely be deleterious to a team. Withi ...more
Igor Razumnyy
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amoung new releases on management only Principles by Ray Dalilo tops Radical Candor on the dencity of solid advice which makes sense. And both Dalilo and Scott advocate for extream directness and prompt timing in giving feedback to all team members. Kim adds on top that you have to care personally very deeply and connect with the team, explore their past, look together in their dreams and identify what they truly want to develop and in which direction they want to grow.

Book is very well written
Maria Navrotskaya
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recently picked up quite a large sized team, and was looking for a way to get my team to improve their performance, create a team culture that will make people enjoy coming to work and get the team to work more cohesively together. I found this book really helpful in understanding how to achieve those goals. It also has a section on performance and career conversations, and I’d like to try them out with my team.
Elly
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not my usual type of book, nonfiction with a focus on management style, but I found it really interesting. Essentially the base of it is how to care personally and share honestly in a manner that’s helpful and kind, without being horrible about it.

There was enough personal story examples to explain the theory and keep it interesting, while also making the concepts manageable and seem somewhat achievable. Definitely worth a read for managers everywhere (or even nonmanagers).
Evrim
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don’t like this genre of books. I read this based on recommendation and it resonated so well with my work area - consulting.

Personal care is as important as direct feedback. Both for me and based on the book. My only issue with the book is that the wording “radical candor” does not seem to cover “personal care” in the meaning. Or is it my English?
Matteo Figus
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. Definitely worth reading, particularly the part about how to structure meaningful and open conversations with peers and reports.
Diego Plentz
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
_The_ best book about management that I ever read.
Andreas
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good book on managing people. Fortunately I don't right now but I wish I'd read this book when I did.
Lexi
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the few ‘management’ books I have read with immediate guidance and plenty of real world examples. Written in an engaging and accessible way that makes sense for the modern world of work
Phil Topping
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty good, but lots of padding as is quite common. I did take a few of the tools though, they look really good, not so sure about all of the advice, would be a HR nightmare!
SecondMe80
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An easy to use framework for leading better. And exciting background stories on leadership at today's most successful companies.
Núria
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I decided to read this book after watching Kim Scott's keynote at Agile2018. I'd gotten the impression that Radical Candor was a framework for giving and receiving feedback, based on the balancing act between being honest and caring personally. And this is indeed the core concept, but the book goes well beyond feedback.

Radical Candor is actually a whole approach to people management. And a very practical one, largely developed from first-hand experiences. I especially enjoyed the storytelling st
Matt
Sep 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Das Skript
  • Не прощаюсь
  • The Art of Action: How Leaders Close the Gaps between Plans, Actions and Results
  • The Turin Shroud Secret
  • Thanks for Nothing, Nick Maxwell
  • Географ глобус пропил
  • Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: What Men Know About Success that Women Need to Learn
  • Vollidiot
  • Designing Products People Love: How Great Designers Create Successful Products
  • AchtNacht
  • X: The Experience When Business Meets Design
  • Org Design for Design Orgs: Building and Managing In-House Design Teams
  • Large-Scale C++ Software Design
  • Intercom on Product Management
Kim Scott is the author of Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity. Kim is also the co-founder and CEO of Candor, Inc., which builds tools to make it easier to follow the advice she offers in the book. She is also the author of three novels.

Prior to founding Candor, Inc., Kim was a CEO coach at Dropbox, Qualtrics, Twitter, and several other Silicon Valley companies. She was