Start by marking “The Body Horror Book” as Want to Read:
The Body Horror Book

The Body Horror Book

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  12 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Drawing from horror visionaries such as Clive Barker, David Cronenberg, and Mark Powell, including introspective analysis of films such as ‘Tusk,’ ‘The Fly,’ ‘Hellraiser,’ and ‘Eat,’ The Body Horror Book is a non-fiction exploration of the monstrous aspect of the human form.
By exploring the literary trope of the carnival and the grotesque, and how the state of cultural an
Published July 31st 2017 by Oscillate Wildly Press

To ask other readers questions about The Body Horror Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body Horror Book

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Body Horror Book
William Tea
***this review originally appeared on The Ginger Nuts of Horror website***

There’s much to be said on the subject of body horror, that flesh-rending subgenre of fiction which turns our own meat against us and cranks the squick factor up to 11. Curious, then, that it’s taken this long for a publisher to release a non-fiction compendium studying it.

Funded on Kickstarter (with portions of the money raised also going to Epilepsy Action Australia), The Body Horror Book is clearly something of a passio
Deborah Sheldon
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive and thought-provoking examination of body horror across various media including short stories, novels, video games, stage musicals, films, TV shows, sculpture and performance art. The essays range from the conversational to the academic. Typical of anthologies, some pieces will appeal more than others based on your subjective tastes and interests, but there is something here for everyone. Recommended.
Kyla Ward
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A copy of this work was received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Do you like your horror stories with a healthy dose of violated taboos, grotesque bodily transformations and images that shock you out of complacency? Claire Fitzpatrick (author of Only The Dead) does and, in her introduction to this non-fiction collection, shares her urge to understand why. But first must come the question, what constitutes Body Horror? The answers provided by the writers, editors and critics he
R.A. Goli
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Disclaimer: I was provided a free copy for an honest review*
I really enjoyed The Body Horror Book; Essays of the Macabre. I read it in dribs and drabs in-between reading other books. I definitely could’ve finished it more quickly if I didn’t spend half my time googling movies and books I wasn’t familiar with and now want to see/read. I couldn’t possibly mention every chapter I enjoyed, but here are a few highlights.
The book opens with a brief medical history of body horror, by David M. Hoenig,
Cassandra
Disgusting at times, but wow, what a fascinating read especially if you're a horror nerd like me. 🥰 ...more
Everly
Nicole
rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2018
C.E.
Aug 12, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: written-by-me
Sep 11, 2019
Dorothy Lee
Sep 11, 2019

• Heatwaves
  • Son of a Trickster (Trickster, #1)
  • Bared to You (Crossfire, #1)
  • America, Vol. 1: The Life and Times of America Chavez
  • Wonder Woman, Volume 1: The Lies
  • Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Volume 1: Who Is Oracle?
  • The Devil All the Time
  • Batman: Dark Victory
  • Lie With Me
  • What Kind of Day (Six 32 Central, #1)
  • Forever Ain't Enough