Start by marking “The Book of Leon: Philosophy of a Fool” as Want to Read:
The Book of Leon: Philosophy of a Fool

The Book of Leon: Philosophy of a Fool

Everyone’s favorite houseguest who never left, Leon Black (played by award-winning comedian JB Smoove on HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm) brings his good-bad advice for the masses in this hilarious memoir that “requires a special kind of dedicated attention, as Leon drops knowledge and theories” (Entertainment Weekly).

Aristotle. Gandhi. Lao Tzu. Dr. Ruth.

Amateurs.

For centuries
Published November 6th 2018 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Leon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Leon

Start your review of The Book of Leon: Philosophy of a Fool
Neri.
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. A funny book about everything and nothing all at once.
Shyiesha
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you want a book of substance, this is not it. It is funny, but it gets boring quickly.
AJ Fajnzylber
Was amusing. Like if Leon had his own episode of curb your enthusiasm. Funny jokes and imagery but not much content
Jeremy
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Best to be a Curb Your Enthusiasm fan to get this. It is basically a really long stand up routine. I don't know how anyone would read this, I listened as an audiobook, which was read by JB. Not particularly good but that was my expectation going in, just wanted a little comedy break, and it was perhaps a little better than I expected. The whole thing is in Leon Black's character.
Monica Grizzard
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Light distraction. Made me laugh out loud a few times, mostly just smile. More enjoyable to fans of Curb Your Enthusiasm and the character of Leon Black. You sorta have to be in on the joke to enjoy it. I probably would have enjoyed it more as an aubiobook, especially since it is read by JB Smoove.
Carole
Um no...just no. I guess I'm not the target audience for this book. I found Leon hilarious on Curb Your Enthusiasm, so I thought this would be right up my alley, but it was just crude and cringe worthy.
Amy
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Absolutely hilarious.
JB Smoove as Leon Black is one of the best characters ever created, and the book did not disappoint. Curb fans will love it, but I think it would appeal to other comedy fans who aren't familiar with the character as well. Laugh out loud funny.
Stacie
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not an audio book to listen to with children or easily offended family and friends due to profane language and sexual content. Leon is gregarious, funny and some of his musing have real merit, like his section on naming children. Great audiobook for long drives.
Marijana
In order to get Leon, you need to watch Curb Your Enthusiasm first.
Zach
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Leon brings the motherfucking ruckus.
Gina Marcelin
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Starts out funny, but all the profanity & sex talk gets old. I think it is written as his character on Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Kookie
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you read only one book written by a fictional character this year, make it this one. Hilarious.
John
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful and funny. True to the character from a the show. A nice light read.

Brett Wainwright
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend as an audio book, funny as he reads it and with some side comments that are likely not in the physical book. Funny and interesting way of looking at things.
Geoffrey Kleinman
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of Curb Your Enthusiasm, and enjoy the Leon Black character. Having a full book of Leonisms is immensely entertaining and JB Smoove is crazy talented and goes deep into the world of Leon.
Steve
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious as written from the point of view of Leon from Curb Your Enthusiasm. Do not read if you are sensitive to the liberal use of the F word and its many variations.
Josh
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty funny if you read it in Leon's voice. It does get a bit repetitive and is fairly predictable as it goes along though.
Gillian Hollett
Mar 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, overdrive
Simon & Schuster I have no idea what you were thinking. The target audience for this book are not huge readers.
R.
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
About as silly as you’d expect, but I had a good time when needing a break from more serious listens.
Liz Karat
I thought this would be funnier.
Chris
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny on its own, but also because of tons of Curb Your Enthusiasm references. The humor is very similar, as the "author" is the Leon character.
Kevin McGuire
Well, I don’t know what I expected...

If you ever watched Curb Your Enthusiasm and thought to yourself, I wonder what Leon is up to when he’s not with Larry, then this is the book for you.
Corey
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Leon is funny and I love him on Curb, but his book is about too many things and doesn’t go deep enough into any them. Also, I wish I learned more about his past and life.
Paul
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the best books written by a fictional character that I have read with my eyeballs. Perfect for fans of Frasier and Garfield.
Katie McCluskey
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For fans of Leon and Larry David, this book is laugh out loud funny! It’s not the kind of book you read from start to finish in one day (I guess you can, but I didn’t). More like, you read a bit, have a good chuckle, put it down and continue the other book you’re reading.
Michelle Harmon
Chris A
rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2018
Mitch Harris
rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Deep Down Dark: The Untold Stories of 33 Men Buried in a Chilean Mine, and the Miracle That Set Them Free
  • Fish in the Dark: A Play
  • The Red Hot Chili Peppers: An Oral/Visual History
  • Walkable City: How Downtown Can Save America, One Step at a Time
  • In Retrospect: The Tragedy and Lessons of Vietnam
  • On Apology
  • Instant Loss Cookbook: Cook Your Way to a Healthy Weight with 125 Recipes for Your Instant Pot®, Pressure Cooker, and More
  • Calm: Calm the Mind. Change the World
  • Instant Loss Fast  Easy: 125 Easy Recipes for Your Instant Pot, Air Fryer, and More
  • Enchiridion
  • Give People Money: How Universal Basic Income Could Change the Future--For the Rich, the Poor, and Everyone in Between
  • King of the Club: Richard Grasso and the Survival of the New York Stock Exchange
  • So Many Roads: The Life and Times of the Grateful Dead
  • Control: Exposing the Truth About Guns
  • Ruthless: A Memoir
  • Take the Cannoli
  • The Union War
  • 1858: Abraham Lincoln, Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee, Ulysses S. Grant and the War They Failed to See