Start by marking “Master of Sorrows (The Silent Gods, #1)” as Want to Read:
Master of Sorrows (The Silent Gods, #1)

Master of Sorrows

(The Silent Gods #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  413 ratings  ·  136 reviews

What if the boy slowly came to realize he was
Published February 21st 2019 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Master of Sorrows, please sign up.
Justin Call Blackstone Publishing will release Master of Sorrows in North America in February of 2020 (Gollancz/Orion UK has English rights for the rest of the…moreBlackstone Publishing will release Master of Sorrows in North America in February of 2020 (Gollancz/Orion UK has English rights for the rest of the world except North America).

However, it is possible to get the hard copy version of the UK edition by either ordering through Book Depository (free international shipping) or by visiting Amazon.co.uk and paying for shipping to the US. Here is a link to the former: https://www.bookdepository.com/book/9...

If you are hoping for a digital US release (ebook or audiobook), you will still need to wait until the book comes out next spring.

Thanks!(less)
Justin Call That depends what you define as romance. In the first book, for example, there is a romantic relationship, <spoiler>but it's not a true romance.…moreThat depends what you define as romance. In the first book, for example, there is a romantic relationship, <spoiler>but it's not a true romance. It's an opportunity for character growth and a chance to see two naive characters evolve beyond their imagined dependence on one another.</spoiler>

Within the series itself, though, characters frequently fall in and out of love, sometimes within the same book. Some relationships stick. Some don't. Some become complicated to the point that it becomes hard to define whether people are romantic interests or not. There are love triangles, hate triangles, and a variety of other intersecting lines. Despite all of those complications, there are still characters who I "ship" together, and the focus of their relationships (romantic and otherwise) is integral to their character arcs. Whether or not you define that as romance is up to the reader, I suppose, but I like to think that, yes, there are threads of romance in the series – though some are weak and some are strong.

But if you define romance as sex scenes, then I would probably say no, there are no descriptions of sex in the series (though, as in life, some characters may have sex "off-screen" and some characters may talk about sex using lewd or suggestive language). I don't consider that "romance," though, so for the purpose of your question, I'll refer to my previous answer.(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Master of Sorrows (The Silent Gods, #1)
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
This is a very strong dark fantasy debut that will appeal directly to fans of The Poppy War and The Name of the Wind. It’s intense, mystical and brutal.

The novel is Asian inspired, depicting a fighting academy that has an eastern quality to it. The masters who rule their and teach their ways despise the use of magic and hoard it in their secret vault to protect the world from its effects. They hunt and kill magic users and will gladly slay an infant at birth if they bare the taint of magic. They are a
James Tivendale
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: freecopy, fantasy
I received an uncorrected proof copy of Master of Sorrows in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Justin Call and Gollancz.

The narrative begins as we are introduced to the 17-year-old acolyte Annev. He is aiming to progress to the desired status of an Avatar of Judgement in this educational environment. The atmosphere he lives within, the classes he frequents and seminars he attends are to help him achieve this, whilst also being aided by the influence of his guardian Sodar and a varied
TS Chan
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC received from the publisher, Gollancz, in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 stars.

Master of Sorrows was a remarkable debut which I simply cannot put down.

This book recalled so much about what I loved about classic epic fantasy and yet felt modern. The author has quoted David Eddings as his earliest favourite. Having read and loved Eddings' works myself, I can definitely see the influences from The Belgariad in this book; a prophecy, Gods and a coming-of-age tale of a young man destined for grea/>4.5
Nils | nilsreviewsit
Master of Sorrows by Justin Travis Call is the first book in the Silent Gods series, and I’m pleased to say it was an admirable start. This book was very reminiscent of the earlier classic fantasy books that I used to read from such authors as David Eddings. The Belgariad by Eddings was one of my favourite series and I can certainly see many influences from that in this book such as; a prophecy, warring gods and a young unlikely hero. However, Call managed to put a modern twist to the narrative, ...more
Mary S. R.
Dec 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: dark, fantasy, adult
You have heard the story before—of a young boy, orphaned through tragic circumstances, raised by a wise old man, who comes to a fuller knowledge of his magic and uses it to fight the great evil that threatens his world.

Um, THANK YOU???? The hero that could be the villain and the villain that could be the hero is what I need in every. single. book.

Unlike his classmates who were stolen as infants from the c/>Unlike/>But
Adam
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lot can happen in a few days. Just ask Ainnevog (just call him Annev), a deacon acolyte in the tiny, remote village of Chaenbalu. One minute, Annev is juggling duties at the Church with his mentor while training for his final shot at passing the grueling Avatar test. The next minute, he discovers he’s being hunted by a fallen evil god bent on destroying his entire bloodline. Annev learns that he is doomed to stay hidden in his village or he and everyone he knows will be annihilated. And if he ...more
Dannii Elle
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 4.5/5 stars.

The synopsis begun thus:

"You have heard the story before - of a young boy, orphaned through tragic circumstances, raised by a wise old man, who comes to a fuller knowledge of his magic and uses it to fight the great evil that threatens his world."

But from the very first page I knew this was a book unlike any other I had encountered before.

Many elements remained that are a prerequisite for what I consider a stellar fantasy
Fares
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I need to gather my thoughts to review this.
Hiu Gregg
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
I’ve had my eye on Master of Sorrows for quite a while. The whole concept of a hero destined to become the villain, and the struggle of fighting against that “destiny”… that’s the sort of thing that speaks to me.

But y’know, for a book about a boy destined to become The Great Evil, this is a remarkably relaxing read. There’s a lot of stuff in here that feels familiar, as though it’s pulling from or influenced by classic epic fantasies. And yet it feels fresh. It’s just familiar enough
Mike Everest Evans
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review originally posted on http://fantasy-hive.co.uk/

The Good: Destiny and dark magic, a fresh take on time-honoured tropes, a world brimming with history, belief and ideals, action sequences that dare to be different, and a plot filled with secrets and surprises.

The Bad: Bit of a slow burner at the start, and some of the early dialogues felt a bit like exposition (albeit necessary when covering this much world-building), but both are worth the pay off.

The Ugly Truth: A modern take on the classic coming of/>The/>The/>The
Maja Ingrid
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
4-4,5 stars

“But what if the boy hero and the malevolent, threatening taint were one and the same? What if the boy slowly came to realize he was the reincarnation of an evil god? Would he save the world . . . or destroy it?” was what caught my interest when this book came. I’ve found I like that kind of stuff. While the book wasn't exactly what I expected, it was certainly a blast to read. And Annev was a gem to follow. I first thought he was around 15-ish, and not 17, because at time
Jeremy Jackson
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man, I needed that. The breath of air you get from MoS is both fresh and nostalgic at once; fast-paced and compelling, it reads like a classic fantasy without feeling derivative. It harkens to Earthsea and Name of the Wind, but its world is wholly original. We glimpse intimations of its grander scope, and the promised twist--that the Chosen One is prophesied to be an instrument of darkness instead of good--is tantalizingly alluded to, but never realized. I assume this development will be expound ...more
Izzie
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, arcs, epic-fantasy
I enjoyed Master of Sorrows, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the series has in store - however something just felt a little flat, so for now I'm giving it 3.5 which I might up to four stars when I write a full review.
 Vanessa  B. ☽♡
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, netgalley
Master of Sorrows was a great debut by Justin Travis Calls. It is a dark fantasy that reminded of some other classic fantasy books, such as The Name of the Wind.

The book tells the story of Annev, an orphan who studies at the Academy in order to become an Avatar. Avatars are tasked with finding magical objects and hiding them from the world, in order to protect it from their corruption He is also hiding his identity and power. When he was born he was missing a hand, which was a sign t
Liv | Books to Liv by
Rating: 4.5 stars
HEA: (view spoiler)
“I feared that knowing we might leave one day would stop you pursuing your dreams. Boys need dream. When you become an old man like me, you exchange them for hope, and then spend your hopes on others’ dreams.”

Reading this book was a delightful experience. I knew it was about a young boy, Annev, born with a missing arm, that lived in a secret village where its citizens believed that deformities we
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Bummed I have to wait until February 2020 for it to come out in the US, but super excited for this one!

...wait. Is this what it's like to not benefit from my privilege?
Blog | Twitter | Pinterest
Atlas
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Every master has an apprenticeship

* *
2 / 5

The premise of Master of Sorrows was intriguing: a boy missing an arm in a world where those with physical scars and “deformities” are presumed to be worshipers of the dark god, with forbidden magic and a secret quest. But mostly I picked it up because I read a review that compared it to The Poppy War. The Poppy War was a dark, compelling, haunting and disturbing masterpiece. It literally haunts me sometimes. Master of Sorrows w
Alison♊⚜️✨(semi-hiatus)
~~I received an ARC from Netgalley/ Gollancz (Orion Publishing Group) in exchange for an honest review, all opinions are my own.~~

3.5/4 stars

(I’m not going to do my usual organizational structure for reviews for this one (characters, then plot etc.) as for the characters, most of the main ones changed per different event in the book, so it would be a bit confusing since some were important, then not and so on.)

What I liked:
- The main aspect I liked about this book was that the story moved at a rea/>/>
Bridget
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Okay quick disclaimer: I am actually only half way through this book, but I am bored and felt like writing yet another book review.
Look, this book has been alright so far. However, whilst there are many "world-building" (wow fancy term) elements that I really like in this book (all that good master/apprentice shit, magical artefacts WHICH I AM ABSOLUTE SUCKER FOR), I fucking hate the protagonist.
Story time:
After watching the season finale of the Bachelor, and Richie chose Alex
Kirsti
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
This SOUNDED on paper like something I'd really enjoy, but in reality it was far from the case. I felt like this was too long, too drawn out and by the end I couldn't wait to finish. The funny thing is, there was plenty of action in the mean time; probably too much. Annev is always competing, fighting, discovering and the whole thing felt exhausting. At first, I was waiting for him to FINALLY achieve his life goal of becoming an avatar. (view spoiler) ...more
Andy Angel
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some great ideas here and more than a few WTF did i just read moments too. Reminded me a lot of David Eddings, Robert Jordan etc but also, so much more than that. There is a rich history of Gods, Younger Gods, prophecy which makes for a quite delicious read and the idea that our hero is 'destined to be a villain' (from the ARC copy cover) makes for a different spin on things.

I'll post a more detailed review nearer to release date in February but until then i have one question...
Justin Call
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
MASTER OF SORROWS REVIEW

This is my debut fantasy novel. It's already been released for most of the world, but it will launch in the USA and Canada this coming February ... and I'm going to tell you my seven reasons why I think it deserves 5 stars.

(1) Because I'm the author and I want to keep writing more books!

(I mean, let's be frank, right?) Good ratings encourages people to buy books, and people buying my books means my publishers pay me to write more books. It's simple math. I wa/>(1)
Raquel Flockhart
Mar 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Liz
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, damn. This felt like a book and a half. Yes, at 400+ pages, once I finished it felt like I had read a 800+ page book. Why? Because so much happened Yeeees, I have to admit, for me it sliiiiightly felt infodumpey in a few parts whilst reading but all in all, by the end I felt sated by this first book in The Silent Gods series.

It has been a while since I last read a fantasy title where magic is a big, bloody NO!-NO!. Basically, there is an ‘order’ of Masters who make sure that all of the ma
Unseen Library
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of Master of Sorrows from Hachette Australia to review.

Rating of 4.5.

I have been looking forward to reading and reviewing Master of Sorrows for a while now. I previously mentioned this book in one of my Waiting on Wednesday articles, which got a fair amount of attention, which I took as a sign of some interest from the general fantasy fandom. The intriguing-sounding plot also made me extremely eager to check this book out, so I was very happy when I rece
gelowmichael
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars
In stores February 21, 2019

And I am deciding to dive into fantasy and thanks to the publisher that I got accepted with this ARC and to the Novel Notions group who got me hype with this whole new series!

The way that a fantasy submerged you with a vast and wide range of imagination will make you focus more on every detail that the book wants you to invest in. While reading this book, I got this LOTR vibe setting mixed with An Ember in the Ashes. And this makes me more excited about/>In
Jenniely
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hi friends! I am so excited to be opening up this blog tour and sharing my review of Justin Call’s debut, Master of Sorrows!

❝What if you were destined to be a villain?❞

I honestly LOVED this book so much. A dark fantasy to rival Name of the Wind, Annev faces adversity and his own destiny. I was hooked in straight away and could not put this book down. The world building was on FIRE and I can’t wait to read more from this series.

As always this review will be spo
BookSteff
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to do my normal synopsis summery before delving into this, because quite frankly the less you know the better!

Do you know those books, that make you want to forgo sleep? The ones that have you in that state of indecision to devour it in a day or savour it slowly? Master of Sorrows by Justin Call is one of those books! Hands down a beautifully written, and well constructed fantasy that is not to be missed.

This book was without a doubt epic! It had all the amazing feels
Lucy
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher, Orion, for providing me a copy of this book for review. All opinions are my own.

This book was great, it had magic, great world building and it was action packed!

I will say this book does sort of throw you in and you figure things out as you read. Even after reading it I had so many questions which should be cleared up in the next books. The book has its own history which links in to what is happening. The book also has a couple of parts or extracts abo
BookSteff
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come, I can't wait to talk about this 🤗 stay tuned 😉!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Lore of Luquatra 4 6 Jun 23, 2019 12:54PM

• The Gutter Prayer (The Black Iron Legacy, #1)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons, #1)
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • Soulkeeper (The Keepers, #1)
  • We Are Blood and Thunder (We Are Blood and Thunder, #1)
  • The Ember Blade (The Darkwater Legacy #1)
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • The Sword of Kaigen (A Theonite War Story)
  • Howling Dark (Sun Eater, #2)
  • Kings of Ash (Ash and Sand, #2)
  • Kings of Paradise (Ash and Sand #1)
  • Seven Blades in Black (The Grave of Empires, #1)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • Ravencry (Raven's Mark, #2)
  • Witchsign (Ashen Torment, #1)
Justin Call graduated from Harvard University in 2012 with a Master's in Literature and Creative Writing. He has studied fantasy literature for almost two decades and is the author of Master of Sorrows, Book 1 of The Silent Gods tetralogy. Justin is also the CEO of Broomstick Monkey Games and co-designer of the games Imperial Harvest, Royal Strawberries, Royal Scum, and 8 Kingdoms. He currently li ...more

The Silent Gods (4 books)
  • Untitled Call 2 of 4 (The Silent Gods #2)
  • Untitled Call 3 of 4 (The Silent Gods #3)
  • Untitled Call 4 of 4 (The Silent Gods #4)
“Great mischief comes from giving gifts.” 0 likes