Start by marking “They Feed” as Want to Read:
They Feed

They Feed

The night uncovers all we wish not to see.

A troubled man enters a dusky park before sunset. A young woman follows, hidden in shadow. Both have returned to the park to take back something the past has stolen from them, to make right six long years of suffering, and to find justice or perhaps redemption—or maybe they'll settle for some old-fashioned revenge.

But something e
Published April 15th 2018 by Sinister Grin Press

To ask other readers questions about They Feed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Feed

Char
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
You know, I'm just unclear about why people insist on camping and enjoying "the great" outdoors. If they read the kind of books I read, they wouldn't do that. THEY FEED is one of those books.

I'm going to keep this short because there are plenty of reviews already out there. If terrible people getting chased and eaten by creatures that that resemble moving pieces of poo sounds like your idea of fun, this book is for you! And I'm not talking fun or humorous pieces of poo, like Mr. Hankey here:
I'
Bark (Has Atrocious Taste)
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark-fiction, horror
This monster romp was populated with mostly despicable people whose gruesome deaths were so much fun to witness. We all need a little of this sort of thing in our lives right about now, am I right?

Deep in the woods lurks a nightmare that doles out death to those foolish enough to venture into the woods looking for some rapey, murdery, torture-filled times and to a few innocents as well (but no worries, you won’t be crying about any of these deaths).

Tyler, newly released from a long stint in pri
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
(3.5) Thank you to Erin Sweet Al-Mehairi and SinisterGrin Press for sending the Night Worms this book in exchange for an honest review.
It's a good thing I hate camping. Jason Parent's monster infested woods are no place I'd want to be!
They Feed is a gorefest. It also reads like watching a B rated horror flick like the Blob or a fun Creature Feature like Tremors. The characters are all pretty despicable people with some campy lines but they made me laugh. Some of the dialog made my eyes roll thou
Lisa
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Jason Parent books are almost always a good time. This one was fun. A few likable characters, plot twists, and bad guys who I was soooo happy to see them get eaten in deliciously horrible ways! "By sh*t pancakes!" Ah, good times! While the storyline didn't scare me so much as to make me stay out of the woods, I did have quite a few tense moments. I do have an urge now to grab my pole and tackle box and go fishing! My thanks to Netgalley for the arc. This is one creature feature that I'd recommen ...more
Marie
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
So people think the woods are safe to going hiking or camping out? After reading this book, I will definitely not be going camping or even think about hiking through the woods!

Tyler Kendrick just got out of prison after being in there for six years for shooting a man in Galvaston Park, which he considers an accident. He decides that he will return to the scene of the crime as he wants to get everything clear in his head of what happened that tragic day.

What Tyler doesn't know is that something
Kimberly
THEY FEED, by Jason Parent, is a “fun-filled”, fast-paced creature-feature that reminded me of a large roller coaster–one moving steadily up, until that final plummet which brings your heart leaping into your throat, at the very end.

Tyler Kendrick has just been released from a jail sentence, the result of a dubious conviction from an incident that occurred in Galveston State Park. Despite the amount of evidence that conflicted with the accusations leveled at Tyler, the town needed a scapegoat an
The Grim Reader
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
With They Feed, Jason Parent goes old-school horror and delivers a great b-movie style gory read that hit all of the right notes for this reader. They Feed is a novel about strange creatures eating people alive in the woods and it is exactly the sort of book I wanted to read. What’s not to like?!

This book has a lot in common with some of the fabulous video nasties from the 1980s. I definitely got a Critters vibe when reading it. Parent’s monsters are very cool, a mash-up of Shaun Hutson’s Slugs
Michael Hicks
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
While I enjoy and appreciate the outdoors, I am not what one might consider an outdoor enthusiast. I've been camping exactly once. Well, technically twice if you count the first attempt that was aborted about an hour into arriving at the camp site in favor of getting a hotel room instead. I enjoy air conditioning, clean bathrooms, and showers that are neither filthy nor coin operated far too much to ever consider roughing it again for an extended period of time. And while my single experience wi ...more
Bill
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s raining shit pancakes in Galveston State Park.

Which would be bad enough by itself, but these pancakes have teeth.

And they are hungry.

Ok…ok. They are not pancakes. Nor are they shit. The teeth thing…well, I wasn’t kidding about that part.

“That ain’t no turd, son. That thing’s moving.”

Abigail lost her KY, date rape in Dakota, Hostel interrupted, freshman hazing, and an army of nasty mud-skipping motherfuckers running amok.

Jason Parent churns out a very good creature feature with “They Feed”.
Hunter Shea
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You'll never catch me hiking again! They Feed is a horror lover's nightmare' come true. This is a creature feature delight that hits all the right marks. Creepy when it needs to be, funny and twisted and gory as hell. It doesn't get much better than this.
Glenn Rolfe
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
THEY FEED is a page-turner featuring creatures from a rotten lake devouring a group of folks in a Kansas state park.

Parent is as solid an author in the dark fiction realm as you'll find.
THEY FEED is your next bloody creature-feature... if you dare.

I give THEY FEED 4stars!
David
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I loved the old school horror movie feel and never knowing who would survive. Jason did a great job creating a terrifing creature that made my stomach turn. Full review can be read here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1uI
Jon Recluse
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, netgalley
All Hell is about to break loose in Galveston State Park tonight, as a wrongly accused man, a woman bent on bloody revenge, and a bunch of frat boys out looking for trouble discover they aren't alone in the dark.
For there are things out there.
Things that shouldn't exist.
Things that defy description.

Jason Parent has written a masterful creature feature that keeps the tension high, the gore flowing, and offers up a unique pack of "What the Hell is that?!?" monstrosities that will keep you out of t
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for review consideration from Sinister Grin Press and Hook of a Book publicity.

They Feed definitely feeds into the '80's horror movie nostalgia. Pun totally intended. My favorite parts were when the 'monsters' were attacking. There was a very strong Critters vibe at times that, coupled with the author's eloquent descriptions of them, had me cracking up. There were also scenes that brought to mind films like The Thing, and some other classic movies. (Nev
Evans Light
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-it, horror
Fast and furious creature-feature from one of the best in the field.
Mindi
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was sent to the Night Rooms review group in exchange for an honest review.

This book was a fun surprise. Other than people telling me it would make me want to avoid camping for the rest of my life, I had no idea what it was about. Once I discovered it's actually a creature feature with quite a twist, I was immediately drawn in. I'll probably not turn down any future camping trips, but I'm definitely going to look at the experience in a different way now. And I'll probably stick to the l
OutlawPoet
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They Feed, by Jason Parent, is one of those wham bam thank you ma'am no holds barred horror novels.

No one is safe and nothing is sacred here. In just the first few pages, the reader realizes that they're in for a gruesome and pulse-pounding ride...and I promise you, it doesn't let up!

I was happy, however, that it wasn't just about the screams and the chompy, chompy bloody bits! Parent has a deft hand with characterization. At times, this hurt since I just knew that some characters I loved likely
Emily
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
"He had never been afraid of ugly things."

Based on the synopsis, it seems like They Feed was going to be right up my alley. I had been looking forward to this one for a while, and I was happy to finally get my hands on it.

I ended up struggling through this one. I think that it had a really promising set-up - creepy creatures in the woods ruining people's lives sounds great. However, I didn't end up enjoying much outside of the main plot.

The language, descriptions, and metaphors are a bit odd
Frank Errington
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review copy

"Better not to think of it. Better to just run."

There was much more to the story of Tyler's incarceration for the shooting death of a former High School classmate, but the truth of the matter was he spent six years in Wichita State Penitentiary.

"Prison had not been easy for a fair, slender boy of sixteen, easy prey thrown into a den full of predators. Yeah, the things he had seen, the things he had done, might have made him tougher. They'd definitely turned the chip on his shoulder in
Laura Thomas
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I’m a pushover for books like this. Give me a bunch of people wandering around in a park in the dark with something hunting them and I’m a happy camper. Jason doesn’t let me down.

As each group encounters something in the night, it’s a mad dash to find safety. They all wind up in the same place, a falling down shack in the middle of the park. What’s outside wants in. But those inside want out. Most of them aren’t nice people and they all have a reason to want to harm each other. The group dynamic
Cats of Ulthar March of Shoggoths
Review: THEY FEED by Jason Parent

Looking for a horror novel with a speed-of-light pace that will take your breath away with terror and suspense? Jason Parent's newest, THEY FEED, delivers in immense spades. "They feed," all right--and guess the favourite dish on their menu?
Horror does not get much more implacable than the creature species Mr. Parent chooses to terrify even the most mind-hardened, iron-stomached, jaded reader.

This novel is set in Kansas, at a State Park, in a beautiful scenic l
Catherine Cavendish
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This fast-paced thrilling creature horror works brilliantly. The sub-plots of revenge, remorse and unsatisfied vendetta keep you guessing, until the whole meshes together to deliver a thoroughly entertaining and satisfying chiller. The author's creatures are vividly portrayed, capable of morphing, hellbent on feeding, but there is more depth to them than that there is intelligence there, but where have these things emanated from? As the plot unfolds and we learn more of Tyler's past, many questi ...more
Bandit
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Every so often it’s just time for something disgustingly entertaining. And this was perfect for that sort of thing, a B movie literary equivalent extravaganza where there is indeed a lot of feeding going on. Creature features are usually fun, especially with creatures affectionately described as sh*t pancakes. Slimy oversized menace that ought to make you rethinking a camping trip. Then again, even without reading this book, camping trips should be rethought until abandoned altogether. What a te ...more
Brandon
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yesssssssss.

They Feed is exactly the kind of book I want to read. It's books like this that make me incredibly stoked to run this blog. I can't really see any reason why this won't make my best of 2018 list.

I've read Jason Parent before, just a few months ago, with the Bloodshot Books re-release of his debut, What Hides Within. That novel showed promise and They Feed, while an entirely different book, delivers on that promise.

This is a balls-to-the-wall, fat free, straight up
Elke
This book presented some especially nasty kind of creature that made my skin crawl every time they (strength in numbers!) appeared. But that was only part of it: the story is mainly character-driven, and most of the people in here have some serious issues to deal with. Put together, the author wove a brilliant creature drama. Oh, and the ending was a really clever surprise that really put the icing on the cake. In short: I loooved it!

(Thanks to Netgalley, the author, and the publisher for a copy
Jim Coniglio
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Great Outdoors.....camping, hiking, fishing and all the other outdoorsy things that people do. Me,,not so much. As a youth I loved camping, but as I aged my body decided it didn't like sleeping on the ground or having to start a fire to warm your body up and make some tea.

Well...about 2 chapters into THEY FEED by Jason Parent, I have decided to to never even think about going camping at the State Park ever again.

Jason Parent has given us a truly gruesome tale of tragedy, revenge and monsters
Angela Crawford
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
They Feed is a throwback to some of the best creature features of the 70’s & 80’s. This gore fest is packed with characters I couldn’t wait to see die and one or two that I was rooting for to make it out alive. Set in a state park campground and hiking trails this book was right up my alley, I camp and hike nearly every weekend. Jason did a great job at capturing the fear of wandering off the trail and getting lost with the constantly bickering married couple who are trying to save their mar ...more
Sherry Fundin
OMG. Everything, the title, cover, the woods…makes me eager to begin my ‘hike’ through the pages of They Feed by Jason Parent.

I am a huge fan of Jason Parent and his ability to scare the bejesus out of me. He did not fail to do so in They Feed. I love book covers with the trees and woods on them and this cover is so eerie, I know there is some badness in them there woods.

Uh oh, Tyler”s past was waiting to catch up with him and he was ready to face it, or what he thought IT was. He was prepared….
Catriona
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll Never Camp Out Again

I never get tired of good horror stories, and this is one of them. Mr. Parent writes with such skill, reading it was a walk in the park (in the woods, in the dark, barefoot).

His characters, even those with brief roles in the plot, had depth, leading this reader to root for their survival, feel loss if they died, and cheer if their behavior merited a gruesome ending and it was delivered.

That being said, this book contains violence and adult themes that might disturb some
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect author linked to two books 4 15 Mar 24, 2018 01:45PM
  • Jurassic Florida (One Size Eats All #1)
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
  • Human No Longer
  • Kill Hill Carnage
  • The Halloween Children
  • The Hematophages
  • Northwoods
  • Monsterland
  • Death to the Undead (Life After the Undead #2)
  • Becoming
  • Found (Heart Search #2)
  • Origins (To Each His Ghost, #0.5)
  • Savages
  • Dark Curtains
  • A Pink Zombie, with a Mist
  • Frostwalker
  • Still Life
  • Crawl
In his head, Jason Parent lives in many places, but in the real world, he calls New England his home. The region offers an abundance of settings for his writing and many wonderful places in which to write them. He currently resides in Southeastern Massachusetts with his cuddly corgi named Calypso.

In a prior life, Jason spent most of his time in front of a judge . . . as a civil litigator. When he