Start by marking “Plot Gardening: Write Faster, Write Smarter” as Want to Read:
Plot Gardening: Write Faster, Write Smarter

Plot Gardening: Write Faster, Write Smarter

(Write Faster, Write Smarter #7)

Learn to Plot without sacrificing Creativity

What separates great novels from mediocre ones? Story. Authors that master this vital skill keep their readers up at night, and suffer the deluge of 'when is the next book coming out' emails.

Whether you are a first time novelist, or a seasoned author Plot Gardening will teach you the fundamentals of storytelling, delivered in
Published April 21st 2018

To ask other readers questions about Plot Gardening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plot Gardening

Start your review of Plot Gardening: Write Faster, Write Smarter
David Galloway
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-advice
Chris Fox began writing sci-fi novels in his 30s after a background in software development and has made a science out of self-publishing his novels on Amazon. He also has a popular YouTube video series that has become his 'Write Faster, Write Smarter' series of writing advice books. As you might expect, he has a very systematic approach to writing and has books in his series for writing faster (5000 Words Per Hour), launching your book (Launch to Market), and several other topics.

Plot
John Lawchamp (YouTube)
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review was inspired by my annotations. To view all my detailed annotations you are welcome to join my Patreon page (John Lawchamp). For $0.99 you can read my favorite lines and excerpts from the book with additional personal thoughts. The annotations are released once the review of that book has been posted on Goodreads. Why spend $15.00 on a book you are not invested in when you can explore the main topics for a fraction of the price? Visit Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Lawchamp

John
Elise Edmonds
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book contains a lot of great information on how to develop a novel plot and outline together with characters arcs. Much of it isn't new, per se, three act structure etc. But the two points it addresses which I have not seen mentioned elsewhere are dealing with multiple pov novels and dealing with series. Very useful and neatly condensed book.
Stan James
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is a perfectly cromulent book on outlining a novel and Fox goes into detail on two popular methods, the traditional three-act approach and the perhaps less-familiar story circle.

Running with the gardening metaphor, Fox provides step-by-step instructions and illustrates them with examples from several popular movies (relying primarily on Star Wars) and also drawing from his own work--including examples where he failed, and then learned from the failure.

Each chapter has exercises to follow at
Katje van Loon
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing
Definitely useful. Implementing this book's ideas has helped me immensely already. I've typed out 903 words of plotting and notes for one WIP and I'm sure more will come later.

I've called myself a "plantser" for a while (combo of planner and pantser) but to be honest, that entailed a lot of flailing and "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING HELP". This book gave me some tools to actually plants efficiently, which I'm excited about.

If you consider yourself in between a planner and a pantser and also
Percival Constantine
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just reread this as I'm preparing to outline my newest book and have found it to be extremely practical. The LAYER method Chris advocates to begin the planning of a book really helped me out a lot in getting a jump-start on what to do.

In my writing, like many I've often found act two to be a struggle. But Chris' way of breaking down act two made it feel a lot less vast and wide as opposed to other guides. Now no longer am I struggling to think of what to add in the second act, but I'm
Mary Mithrilil
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can finally see right through (almost) everything I've read so far. Every story, character and setting down to their primal compounds. This book teaches plot pattern and structure by following examples from the Matrix, Game of Thrones and Star Wars . The exercises on this one are slightly more demanding but I'm sure they're worth the time.

Where'd that one star go: okay, the aforementioned examples may end up being 60% of the book.
E.A. Copen
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For plotters and pantsers alike

This book does a wonderful job breaking down several great outlining techniques but it also addresses storytelling in a way pantsers wanting to do a little plotting will find useful.
Tonya Burrows
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
The one idea I really took from this: a plot is a series of set-ups and pay-offs. Never thought of it that way!
Belynda
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hello lovelies!!

I've been wanting to read all the books in this series...since I first found Chris Fox on YouTube!! And with payday just yesterday, I thought I'd make it a priority the same way I'm trying to make my writing a priority this year!

Where I'm at with my writing though, I thought that a book on outlining would be the most helpful. I have the first draft, I have the words. What I don't have is an understanding of exactly where I'm wanting everything to fit. I have so many ideas and so
NormaCenva
Great addition to the series!
UPDATE: Just finished the Audio-book version and enjoyed it very much.
Very useful and practical addition to the series.
Paul Fleming
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

I am biased. I've watched Chris' videos on YouTube and gained a tremendous respect for how much pertinent information he gives in each. I've become a fan of his approach and manner over time, and also am grateful that all his videos are completely free to watch over and over again. No subscription required nor do I have to mortgage a body organ to join a course to gain access... No. They're just out there to help fellow authors develop and master the craft.

He has studied and learnt the
Janine Prince
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another short and helpful book from prolific Sci Fi author Chris Fox. This book steps you through a style of book development he's calling "plot gardening" - it's a nice organic metaphor for a process that is not quite pantsing and not 'make an outline and stick to it'. This is part of a series of books on writing and publishing, but is a standalone title - you don't need to have read his others.
This process supports writers who like to 'discover by writing' but it adds some framework to the
Sean Bai
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-like
Not for a pantser like me...

I've read Chris Fox's "Write to Market" and "Six Figure Author", which are books 3 and 5 in his series on writing. I gave them both five stars.

Maybe this is a personal pet peeve of mine, but I struggled to read this book. Right from the beginning, I felt Chris Fox relied too much on the gardening analogy.

He started by talking about why we like stories and society as a whole, and I felt like I didn't need to know that information.

Chris Fox describes himself as
Jeff
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creative-writing
I really like Chris Foxs books a lot. Im a huge fan of Lifelong Writing Habits and assign that to my students every semester. And I really like a lot of the ideas in this book as well. I am going to try it as a way to flesh out a novel idea I need to work on. The main reason it is a four and not a five is because there are a handful of areas that feel too vague, or where theres too big a jump without enough discussion about how to make the jump. The specific moment I can think of right now is ...more
Craig Jr.
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a great book, with a new approach to gathering information to begin your book. Plot Gardening, is a little different than a full outline. It's gathering all the information you need, and trimming the hedges. I learned many new approaches to getting your writing down, but I hoped it would have been a little longer, with a little more detail on how he organizes everything. However, an excellent book, as are all of Chris' non-fiction pieces on writing.
Leslie
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some excellent nuggets of wisdom here! Thanks Chris! 😊

Good look at how Chris sets up his story. While I giggled at the garden analogy it makes sense. Always useful information in a no nonsense way. Chris's style is relaxed and easy. This book would be good for both brand new writers and seasoned. Anyone interested in story structure will take something away from this book.
J.D. Brink
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great course on story structure

If youre now to writing or could just use some reflection and reinforcement, Mr. Fox does an excellent job of laying it all out. He uses different theories and structure, great examples to illustrate his points, and well thought out exercises all along the way. Truly a full class on writing.
Massiel
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Dude Christa Fox never ceases to amaze me. He has such a wealth of knowledge thats so applicable and easy to understand. I really appreciate how he breaks down the exercises. In this book particularly, I really like that he uses real movie examples that we all know to flesh out his information.
Edward Hudson
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Edward Hudson
Plot Gardening is clear, concise, and straight to the point. You won't find any new plotting formulas here, just a well packaged breakdown of a few existing plot systems. Chris has a way of taking this daunting subject and making it very accessible.

Just remember to do the exercises. ;)
Taylor Ellwood
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, writing
This has been a really useful book. I used the plot gardening methodology with two of the books I'm working on right now and its made the writing process faster, easier, and much more fun because I've got the essential elements laid out and outlined. I highly recommend this book if you want to become a professional author.
Jeff Willis
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've really enjoyed Chris' nonfiction book series so far, and this installment is certainly no exception. He does a great job of presenting a lot of different options when it comes to considering how to plot a story, and backs it up and examples from well known works of fiction that the reader will easily understand (or can easily get access to). Even for longtime writers like me, Chris was able to present new information to consider in my own writing disciplines.
Michelle Cornish
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A unique approach to plotting!

I enjoyed the metaphor of plot gardening, super fun! Chris explains the three act structure and the story circle in ways that had me experiencing many 'aha' moments. A fresh approach to plotting that combines character and plot to create the ultimate outline. The story examples are excellent too!
Mike Coville
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read book for every writers. Chris covers the entire process of preparing to write. I learned so much about Character sketches, scene dynamics, and the Dan Harmon Story Circle. This book will forever change the way I approach writing.

BTW, I've read it 3 times already, and plan to read it again soon.
Miranda Kate
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
Not what I thought it was.

This book wasn't quite what I was looking for. I was looking for a book that focused on how to organise yourself when writing your novel, not an analysis of story structure or a breakdown of how to write a novel. This would be a good book for novice writers. I need more on planning.
Katie Blanchard
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love Chris Fox

Again another winning help book for authors by Chris Fox. I love the series. I'm currently devouring them and using them to aid me in my own writing. Love and highly recommend them.
Mark Mapstone
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creative-writing
Another killer book by Chris Fox. No hesitation over buying this, and reading was just as easy. Packed with essential information and knowledge which every growing writer can learn from. Thanks you Chris.
Carlie Hamilton
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, 2018
It fulfilled the need I had, with slightly expanding on the ideas I got from Fox's YouTube channel, but didn't expand as much as I hoped. I liked it, but also wish I got more from it. Maybe a bit more detail on how Fox applies this.
Yancy Eam
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Useful in developing stories. Has many exercises to start with the plot gardening process. I like how the author makes it easy to read and effective in delivering what's necessary in stories.
4.5/5 stars.
Samuel P
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great, quick and practical read.

Its a very succinct way to plot out a novel from someone who has done it himself very well! Chris makes you want to write immediately. And the exercises are straight to the point.

• Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • Newsletter Ninja: How to Become an Author Mailing List Expert
  • Write Your Novel From the Middle: A New Approach for Plotters, Pantsers and Everyone in Between
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • Become a Successful Indie Author: Work Toward Your Writing Dream
  • Romancing the Beat: Story Structure for Romance Novels (How to Write Kissing Books Book 1)
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • The Last Fifty Pages: The Art and Craft of Unforgettable Endings
  • How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method
  • Release Strategies: Plan your self-publishing schedule for maximum benefit (Successful Indie Author Book 2)
  • Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1)
  • Strangers To Superfans: A Marketing Guide to the Reader Journey
  • How to Write Fast: Better Words Faster (Stone Tablet Singles Book 1)
  • How to Write Dazzling Dialogue: The Fastest Way to Improve Any Manuscript
  • The Writer's Guide to Training Your Dragon: Using Speech Recognition Software to Dictate Your Book and Supercharge Your Writing Workflow (Dictation Mastery for PC and Mac)
  • How to Write a Sizzling Synopsis: A Step-by-Step System for Enticing New Readers, Selling More Fiction, and Making Your Books Sound Good
  • The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
By day I am an iPhone developer architecting the app used to scope Stephen Colberts ear. By night I am Batman. Ok maybe not. One can dream though, right?

Ive been writing since I was six years old and started inflicting my work on others at age 18. By age 24 people stopped running away when I approached them with a new story and shortly thereafter I published my first one in the Rifter.

Wait youre

Write Faster, Write Smarter (7 books)
  • 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Lifelong Writing Habit: The Secret to Writing Every Day
  • Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)
  • Launch to Market: Easy Marketing For Authors (Write Faster, Write Smarter, #4)
  • Six Figure Author: Using Data to Sell Books (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 5)
  • Relaunch Your Novel: Breathe Life Into Your Backlist (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 6)

News & Interviews