Start by marking “Women of Resistance: Poems for a New Feminism” as Want to Read:
Women of Resistance: Poems for a New Feminism

Women of Resistance: Poems for a New Feminism

A collection with a feminist ethos that cuts across race, gender identity, and sexuality.

Creative activists have reacted to the 2016 Presidential election in myriad ways. Editors Danielle Barnhart and Iris Mahan have drawn on their profound knowledge of the poetry scene to put together an extraordinary list of poets taking a feminist stance against the new authority. What
Published March 13th 2018 by OR Books

To ask other readers questions about Women of Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women of Resistance

Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword

when a girl pronounces her own name
there is glory

when a woman tells her own life story
she lives forever”

Disclaimer: Copy provided by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED.

I loved waking up every day for approximately one week, washing my sleepy face, going downstairs and
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 4.5/5 stars.

As soon as I saw this book I knew I had to read it. I adored the cover. I adored the title. I adored the concept. And now, after I have finished reading it, I can safely say that I adored the content.

The nature of the poems collected here are to promote feminist ideologies and to draw attention to the racist and misogynist thinking, the cultural appropriation, and the lack of diverse representation still prevalent, in contemporary society.

Anthologies, penned by various
Michael
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, poetry, net-galley
Compiled in response to the resurgence of overt racism and sexism in American politics, the poems of Women of Resistance feature feminist perspectives on subjects such as bodily autonomy, sexual orientation, protest, gendered violence, white supremacist terrorism, and more. The poetry varies immensely in terms of both content and form, making it unlikely that anyone will enjoy all the poems equally. But, as the collection encompasses the work of a diverse range of new and experienced poets, it's ...more
Schizanthus
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Dear Women of Resistance: Poems for a New Feminism,

It’s not you. It’s me. I tried to appreciate you for what you were but came to realise that you and I were simply not compatible. Not wanting to give up before giving us a chance I read you from cover to cover. I’ll admit that some sparks ignited here and there when I read passages such as:
“When a woman tells the truth, she is creating the possibility for more truth around her.” - Danielle Barnhart and Iris Mahan (from the Introduction)
“From ash
Becky
This is, first and foremost, a necessary and important piece of literature. It’s vital that material such as this is published because it gives people the voice that they should’ve been given long ago. This is a great compilation of poems from a variety of women, surrounding different topics and written in different styles. This is at its root, a fantastic read.

But of course, I am a reviewer that rates a book based on enjoyment as well as the quality of the content. Whilst the quality of the co
Lou
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There have been so many books on feminism this year, presumably to highlight that 2018 marks 100 years since some women in the UK won the vote. While celebrating the suffragettes and the success of the suffrage movement founded in 1903 and led by Emmeline Pankhurst, "Women of Resistance" paints a picture of the issues that capture the hearts of women today. Danielle Barnhart and Iris Mahan explore these themes in this wonderful book of poetry.

The book comprises the thoughts of 41 contemporary po
Katie.dorny
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Okay, I love 2018 has been all about discussions about feminism, politics and everything in between with more people being heard about their stories and their truth.

I loved that the poems in here included women from all walks of life, socio-economic backgrounds, sexuality and even male allies who understood why feminism is need for all women.

But some of these didn’t hit the mark for me, maybe t was the way the book was laid out on my kindle that it didn’t flow as well as I’d have liked it to or
MissBecka
Big shout out to NetGalley and OR Books for hooking me up with this AMAZING ARC!!!

---------------------WOW---------------------

"listen isn't always the same as shut up, remember the eye of the witness disarms the devil."

The intro starts off by describing the collection as "part love letter, part manifesto, part confession, part wish---and those are just the raw materials."
I would say this is highly accurate. This collection ripped my heart out, sewed it back in, boiled it in oil and healed it ag
Devann
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley

This was a great anthology and I'm glad that I read it, but poetry is so hit or miss for me that while I enjoyed some poems in this collection, a lot of them went right over my head. I enjoyed The Witch Doesn't Burn in this One so much when I read it last month so I thought I would be right on board with this as well, but this book is anthology of many different writers so all the poems are very different and I just couldn't get into it as much a
Carol
I'm floored by the variety of voices of the contributions, and perspectives represented. The photographs add to, rather than distract from, the text. My favorite poems were Sally Ride Speaks to the Schoolgirls by Laura Fairgrieve, An Open Letter to the Protestors Outside the Planned Parenthood Near My Job by Elizabeth Acevedo, When My Daughter Wasn't Assaulted by Amanda Johnston, Shiv by Rachel McKibbens, and If 2017 Was a Poem Title by Mahogany L. Browne.
I received an advance copy from the publ
BadassCmd
i heard a woman becomes herself the first
time she speaks
without permission
then, every word out of her mouth a riot

I read the first poem of this collection and I was in love because DAMN, what a strong beginning is that?

I think this is really an important collection and I’m glad it exists.

I don’t read that much poetry, but from time to time I discover an author or book that intrigues me and I get really into it. And a collection of works from so many different, inspiring people on such an impo
Shealea
Although the poems themselves weren’t bad—in fact, I’d say that a lot the poems I read were pretty good, there was just something that hindered me from wanting to continue reading. For a poetry anthology with a heavy emphasis on feminism, gender, and sexuality, I just failed to feel engaged or even interested, for that matter. I initially tried to power through in the hopes that my reading experience would eventually improve, but even after I reached the halfway mark, it still felt like there wa ...more
Ellie
This is a fine collection of poets, men as well as women, speaking out against patriarchy and for the power and dignity of the individual. The focus is, as suggested by the title, on women but the poets also speak out about race. Some of the most interesting poems concern the intersection of different identities.

The poets represented include some of my favorite poets now writing: Ada Limon, Anne Waldeman, Tyehimba Jess, Mary Ruefle, Rachel McKibbons, and Kwame Dawes. But it is a collection of m
Dorine
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Real rating 2,5
When I saw the cover of the book I knew I wanted to give it a shot. Lately, I’ve been almost scared of books about feminism because I’ve read a couple of books who took feminism to an extreme point, which I don’t want to label as feminism anymore.
This book cover gave me the vibes of Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls, it looks approachable for a young adult audience and deals with more than women alone.

I was left a little disappointed. The colourfulness and approachable factor of
Петър Стойков
Съвремената поезия, както може да се забележи, е като съвременното изобразително изкуство - което по мое мнение не е особено изобразително, а още по-малко пък е изкуство. Само че вместо мацаници и криви линии, в "поезията" имаме объркани текстове, които нито се римуват
нито
имат каквато и да е поетична стъпка
а просто са написани
на различни
редове.

Разбира се, човек не може да очаква много от поезията на гневни тийнейджърки. Като младеж съм изчел достатъчно от въпросната, тъй като най-различни прият
Hana
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: poetry, faves
all the women i know are perennials -- marigolds, daffodils soft things that refuse to die

This collection of poems is everything I wanted.
Women of Resistance: Poems for a New Feminism is a collection of poems from various writers about feminism (duh). As with any collection, some poems you will like, some you wont. It's how it goes. Some poems I skimmed over, catching lines that I enjoyed as I did so. Or, sometimes I just didn't like the structure of the poem. Thats ok, too. For one poem I d
Lo O'Neill
“i heard a woman becomes herself the first
time she speaks
without permission
then, every word out of her mouth a riot”

Be still my beating heart….

I know that this is a terrible place to start with a book review but I love the cover of this book, it is beautiful and one that I will be adding to my physical copy bookshelf ASAP, especially now that I know what a wonderful poetry collection this is.

With massive movements such as Times Up it could be easy to believe that feminism is alive, well and und
Danielle
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew I had to read this book right away. It's an anthology that has been beautifully formatted to promote feminist ideologies. Most of all to speak against racism, misogyny, cultural appropriation etc. This collection of poems penned by various poets speaks to all in this time of chaos in contemporary times. However, this anthology transcends time past and present and future. Beautifully and thoughtfully put together to inspire everyone who picks up this book.

I received this book by NetGalley
Melissa
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
This is an ARC I received for an honest review from NetGalley.

I’ll be honest, mixed poetry books usually mean mixed reviews for me, some you love, some not so much. This one was definitely a diverse collection, and some might need trigger warnings (even more so after this last week), but this is where we are, for better and often worse this is the reality of women from diverse backgrounds and the struggles that are shaping us.
Veronica
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathtaking with beauty and forthrightness. Full review soon.
Jessica (TasteThisBook)
"When a woman tells the truth, she is creating the possibility for more truth around her."

I really wanted to connect with this, especially as I read poetry and am becoming more familiar with poets. Maybe anthologies aren't my thing? I love the work of Mahogany Browne and Elizabeth Acevedo, but they were just two poets in this collection. I absolutely love the cover art though.
Fanna
This is a major case of "don't go by my rating because you might love it".

When I picked this up, I was so convinced I'm going to love it that for the first 32% of the collection, I wasn't able to form the true opinion of not actually liking it. You know, one of those times when the idea and thought behind a work is amazing and so appreciable that being honest about the actual work makes you feel bad.

The collection claims to touch the issues of feminism but it didn't do well in actually conveyi
Zohal
A big thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a quick but hard-hitting collection of poems. It is also the perfect example of intersectional feminism in the 21st century. The poems range in the sub-topics they explore. Some are political, some are personal, whilst others cast a critical eye on society and the perception of women across different countries and cultures.

This collection is important as it focuses on the different
Tamara
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, poetry, arcs
This stunning collection includes a variety of authors with wildly different backgrounds and styles. I felt like this is one of the few instances of actual intersectional feminism in collections and I feel both shocked and empowered by the messages included.
49 different contributors means that there's something for everyone, even if you don't like all poetry out there (like me). This book certainly offers food for thought!
My favourite poems include those by Mahogany L. Browne, Kaveh Akbar, Denic
J.D. DeHart
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I write this advance review on the Sunday of the Oscars and consider the role of women in film now, I reflect on the verses in this collection as well. Maybe this is my form of triangulation today. What I discovered in Women of Resistance, first, is a pulsing idea.

This idea of equity, so often tossed aside or given lip service, is a driving force in my life and faith. It was a driving force in my classroom, and one I want to instill in my daughters and the daughters of others. A range of powe
Basma
I find it rare that I like an entire poetry collection, even more so when it's by multiple poets and this is one of those poetry books where I found myself either really enjoying some of the poems or not and skimming or skipping them.
This is a collection by a diverse group of poets writing about womanhood, abuse, war, struggles, racism, feminism, violence and so much more. It packs so much in there. I really enjoyed the first two sections of this collection and I felt it included all the best po
The_reading_foodie
Thanks to @netgalley and #orbooks for a free copy of #womenofresistance for my honest review.

This is a collection of feminist poetry by 41 authors and edited by Danielle Barnhart and Iris Mahan. The description said a feminist stance against the new administration so I knew it was something I wanted to read.

These poems span sexuality, race and gender identity. I really liked the idea on this book and thought it was well executed. I don’t read a lot of poetry but because this is a collection yo
Elke
This made me think of How I Resist (though of the two, I liked that one better).

This book has a diverse collection of poetry, about women, about resistance, about feminism, racism and other issues. CW for sex, rape, abuse, violence, racism and possibly other things I missed.
Sadly, this was not exactly my cup of tea. I had the feeling many of the poems and pieces went over my head and the longer it took me to read it the more eager I was to finish.
It's definitely important, has a lot of value an
Trianna
I always forget that I should not read poetry in the ebook format. The format of the poems is often wrong and in this case, the title of the collection (which typically would be on the corners of the page) was intermixed on the page. Occasionally it was even within the poems themselves. As a result, it was hard to fully get immersed in the poems. However, the poems are raw, honest, and heartfelt. I also appreciated how diverse of a collection this is. If I read a print version of this I feel lik ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Work of a Common Woman: The Collected Poetry of Judy Grahn, 1964-1977
  • We Believe You: Survivors of Campus Sexual Assault Speak Out
  • Invisible: How Young Women with Serious Health Issues Navigate Work, Relationships, and the Pressure to Seem Just Fine
  • Don't Bring Home a White Boy: And Other Notions that Keep Black Women From Dating Out
  • What My Mother and I Don't Talk About: Fifteen Writers Break the Silence
  • Slamming Open the Door
  • Icon
  • Wild Beauty: New and Selected Poems
  • Best American Poetry 2016
  • Enabling Acts: The Hidden Story of How the Americans with Disabilities Act Gave the Largest US Minority Its Rights
  • Chicana Feminist Thought: The Basic Historical Writings
  • Vampire in Love
DANIELLE BARNHART is coeditor of Poetry of Women of Resistance: Poems for a New Feminism, an anthology of contemporary poets (OR Books 2018). She is Founding Editor & Director of Events for Village of Crickets, a NYC based organization that hosts literary events in partnership with Adelphi University's MFA program, and various literary institutions. Danielle holds an MFA from Adelphi Universit ...more
“if this poem is the only thing that survives me

tell them i grew a new tongue
tell them i built me a throne

tell them when we discovered life on another planet
it was a woman
& she built a bridge, not a border

got god & named gravity