Start by marking “The Stories You Tell (Roxane Weary, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Stories You Tell (Roxane Weary, #3)

The Stories You Tell

(Roxane Weary #3)

The Stories You Tell is Shamus Award-winning and Anthony and Macavity Award-nominated author Kristen Lepionka's heart-pounding third novel that will keep listeners on the edge of their seats with her signature twists and mile-high stakes.

A late-night phone call is never good news, especially when you’re Roxane Weary. This one is from her brother Andrew whose evening was in
Audio CD
Expected publication: October 8th 2019 by St. Martin's (first published July 9th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Stories You Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stories You Tell

Meredith
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Dark, Complex, and Gripping

The Stories You Tell is a complicated mystery that centers on an even more complicated Private Investigator.

Private Investigator, Roxane Weary, gets pulled into a tangled web involving a missing person, a murder, and a mobster--the main suspect happens to be her brother, Andrew. What seems like a straightforward missing persons’ investigation is much more complicated than it first seems.

The Stories You Tell is the third book in the Roxane Weary series. This can be
Chelsea Humphrey
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: karen
In the words of Madea:

description

I was already a hardcore fan of this series, but my woman crush on Roxane Weary just grew to immense proportions. Some of the best crime fiction stories are the ones featuring a quiet power; I'll gladly sacrifice flashy twists and over-the-top drama for a grounded, consistent procedural, as I'm always more drawn to the character driven plots that feature clever cases. All three books in this series are fabulous, and if you haven't read them I urge you to start from the begi
karen
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
allow me to tell you a little secret - sometimes i round my star-ratings up. if i like an author either IRL or if i have liked their words in the past, even if i’m not feeling the deeplove towards a particular book of theirs, i’ll hoist ‘em a little closer to the light to be a pal. i never lie in my reviews, but star ratings (mine and others’) are of little consequence, so an upround here or there is no biggie.

but i have never had to upround kristen lepionka. even though she has been kind enough
Liz
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This series is a straight forward PI series. This time the story involves a missing person. Roxane gets a weird call from her brother late at night. A gal he had a two night stand with showed up late at night at his apartment . Disheveled, frantic. She makes a phone call and then leaves. When Roxane tries to relieve his mind the next day by checking up on her, it appears the woman has gone missing. And her place of employment, a night club across the street from her brother’s apartment has close ...more
Liz Barnsley
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love these. Each one better than the last. Roxanne Weary is a brilliant protagonist.

Full review to follow
Jypsy
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Stories You Tell is my first read by the author. I'm not familiar with the character of Roxane, but I quickly got a feel for who she is. She is a well written character because she's actually relatable in many ways. Roxane is not perfect,and the story only benefits from her imperfections. I found the story kind of standard as investigating goes. There were many twists and turns but no major revelations. This story is definitely entertaining and engaging, and I did enjoy the overall picture. ...more
Jamie
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welcome back, Roxane Weary! It's always a great time returning to a beloved character and Roxane is certainly one of my favorite flawed heroines! We return to our favorite PI once again finding herself enmeshed in a case due to personal factors - this time concerning her brother Andrew and a missing girl. As Roxane tries to navigate her relationship with her girlfriend, Catherine and also her feelings for Tom, her late father's partner, she remains utterly unapologetic about the person she is - ...more
Donna Hines
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Late night phone calls has everyone in a panic. Nothing ever good comes from them. However it always can be worse and a visit from a bloody, drunk, and hysterical friend is the breaking point for Andrew.
Addison a DJ in a local hotel bar appears to be in trouble.
The father is on the verge of paranoia as he contacts the police upon receiving a panicked voicemail from his daughter Addison.
Something is wrong! Desperately Wrong!
Meanwhile Andrew is being closely examined for wrong doing while another
Beck
I love Roxane Weary. Lepionka's detective is smart, snarky, and flawed, but also capable of change and growth. Roxane doesn't have it all together, but she also no longer keeps a flask in her glove compartment - progress! I also think that these mysteries keep getting better and better. In this one, Roxane's brother Andrew is visited by an ex, who mysteriously shows up to use his phone and then disappears. Roxane tries to track her down, but gets caught up in a mystery that includes old faces an ...more
Ernie
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Roxane Weary is back, y’all! I don’t know how she does it, but each book Kristen Lepionka writes is better than the last. The characters are complex, the plot is riveting, the pacing and tension are masterful, and the final act is absolutely stunning. My only regret is that five stars is the most we’re allowed to give.
Lori Rader-Day
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
I love this series. Roxane is a wonderful character, very real. And I'm super into this particular book for reasons I can't spoil.
Izzy
a HUGE thank you to netgalley & minotaur books for providing me with an e-arc! i feel so grateful for being able to read one of my most anticipated releases of 2019 early.

Isn't it interesting how you can think you know exactly what your likes and dislikes are, and yet sometimes you're still able to find something that sweeps you out of your feet and surprises you? I enjoy a couple of police procedural mysteries here and there, but I've been over the noir-ish, troubled, alcoholic detective tr
Samantha
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh how I love these Roxane Weary books, I was so happy to get my hands on this. Reading this The Stories You Tell was like meeting up with old friends you hadn’t seen in a while. Kristen Lepionka does such a great job with her characters; Roxanne is by far is the best of them but in addition we have her love interests, her family and friends and some of her shady connections all from previous books. These combined with a new mystery all add up to a great read.

The mystery this time starts out se
Janice Lombardo
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cheers to Kristen Lepionka for a great thriller! I read this as a standalone and had no problem - actually, I am positive I will go back to read the first book of this series. Roxanne is a great character, and extremely well-developed. In this book, Addison Stowe has gone missing yet there are hints that she is still alive and loosely tied to Rox's brother, Andrew. I did forget to take notes, however, Tom, a member of the police force in Columbus, Ohio was a long-time friend of Frank, Roxanne's ...more
Melanie
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Stories You Tell is a fast-paced mystery with lots going on. If it weren't for Roxane sharing her theories as to what is going on, I may have been a little lost. Actually, her character and personality are what kept me the most intrigued and interested. I love her dry sense of humor and slap in the face, tell it like it is demeanor. I did not the read the first two books in the series, but figured I would try to read this one first since I won the ARC of it, and read that it could be read as ...more
Audrey
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
3.5 Stars

This remains a strong pi mystery series. Roxane is interesting, flawed and oh so human. She’s more comfortable with herself has built herself a small community. Here, she helps her brother with woman who later disappeared. There were twists and turns as Roxane tries to determine the link between the missing woman, a dead, on leave police officer and a shady night club. I’m really looking forward to the next installment.

This is definitely part of a series with references to earlier book
Lyn
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
My thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for providing this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Whew. Roxane Weary. Love this character and loved her even more in this next installment of her life. The author illustrates a well-rounded character: intelligent, caring, damaged, ready to give, hurting, but not about to let someone trample on her. Which leads us to the other people in Roxane's life, who are brought out more in this book.

Can we talk about Catherine just a hot moment? O
Elena
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia, arc, mystery, adult
4.5 stars. This series is so good. Complex characters who feel like real people, a great queer protagonist (Roxane is bi), and convoluted mysteries that I never figure out much before Roxane does, if at all. I really loved this one. (view spoiler)
Roxanne Spencer
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roxane Weary seems to getting her life in some order when her brother Andrew ends up in jail. Suddenly she's thrust into a search for a missing woman while her sometimes-lover Catherine takes off for a conference in Rhode Island and the second anniversary of her father's death approaches. The first book in this series moved at a breakneck pace and reflected Roxane's inner turmoil. In the next two books, the pace has slowed down as Roxane changes her outlook and becomes more settled. The Stories ...more
Maria
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks for Minotaur Books for providing me with a free advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This series is fantastic! I really liked the first book, but honestly, they just keep getting better and better. Roxane is such a great character and I love the balance Lepionka has found between the mystery element and the development of her recurring characters. The secondary characters change up a bit from book to book, but I love Roxane's relationship with her family and her gro
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2019
Received an ARC via NetGalley.

This series gets better with each installment.

The plots are always layered, with lots of characters and little pieces that I find impossible to tell how they connect. But when everything comes together in the end, the solve never feels convoluted or ridiculous. They feel smart and leave me excited to try and figure out the next one.
Kimberly Lund
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like Roxane Weary. She’s a flawed character but she’s self aware enough to acknowledge and embrace her flaws. I had a really hard time getting into this one and stopped a few times to read other, more engaging book, but once I really got to the core of the book, I was hooked. I read the last 2/3 in a day. There is a lot of timeliness to this book and the mystery was a layered one. Really enjoyed this newest chapter in Roxane’s story.
Sue
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Roxane Weary story and I didn’t have trouble reading it without reading the previous books. There are twists and turns until the end that keep you on your toes. I found this enjoyable and plan to go back and read the previous books.
Jen
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A girl goes missing, and a PI is sent to find her. She gets tangled in the questions of who did this and why. This book keeps you guessing around every turn it takes, and right up until the end, you will not want to put the book down.

Thank you to Netgalley and St. martin’s Press for the preview!
Jessica
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I WANT A MILLION ROXANE WEARY BOOKS
Evelyn
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, mystery
When P.I. Roxanne Weary receives a late night phone call from her brother Andrew about a panicked young woman who banged on his door and used his cell phone, she knows he’s in more trouble than he realizes. The woman was a DJ at a local under ground club that has abruptly shut down and now the police are asking questions Andrew can’t answer. Throw in a local mobster, a missing detective and a kinky dating app called “Bus Pass” and you have one heck of a mystery.

This is the third book in the seri
Pgchuis
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, ebook
I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley.

I have enjoyed all the books in this series, but this is my least favourite. Roxane is asked by her brother Andrew to locate a woman who asked to use his phone in some distress, but has now disappeared. She is also investigating the mystery of the knock-off leggings in a very half-hearted way. I like Roxane and the strongest elements of this book were her relationships with Catherine, Tom, Andrew and her neighbour Shelby.

I struggl
Kristin White
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an advanced reader copy and enjoyed it very much! The mystery details about Addison and her mysterious disappearance were very intricately woven, and the ending was a total shock. There were surprises at every turn, and the story was still straightforward enough to move seamlessly. Read to find out why Addison disappeared, who was involved, and the ultimate price that was paid!
Mehva
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, the main character felt like someone real, like someone i might know, which i don't usually feel. LIghter story than I usually read but still with some depth
Cindy Crawford
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read. Didn't see it coming.

• The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • Drungi (Hidden Iceland #2)
  • Hostage Moon
  • Growing Things and Other Stories
  • All That Charm (Morning Glory #3)
  • Cristallisation Secrète
  • Not What You Think (Lakeview, #7)
  • A Beautiful Corpse (Harper McClain, #2)
  • More to Life Than This
  • The Primrose Path
  • Just Jorie
  • Hens Reunited
  • The Sentence is Death (Hawthorne, #2)
  • Death by the Riverside (Micky Knight, #1)
  • 乙嫁語り 10 [Otoyomegatari 10] (A Bride's Story, #10)
  • Cosmic Underground: A Grimoire of Black Speculative Discontent
  • In the Name of the Father (Hunter, #2)
  • Saving Grace

Roxane Weary (3 books)
  • The Last Place You Look (Roxane Weary, #1)
  • What You Want To See (Roxane Weary, #2)