Start by marking “Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend, #1)

Fake Out

(Fake Boyfriend #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  8,976 ratings  ·  1,231 reviews
Maddox

The reason I rarely go home is three simple words: I’m a liar.

When the pressure to marry my childhood sweetheart became too much, I told her I was gay and then fled to New York like my ass was on fire.

Now, five years later and after a drunken encounter, I find myself invited to her wedding. And I have to bring my boyfriend—the boyfriend who doesn’t exist becaus
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 290 pages
Published March 15th 2018 by Eden Finley

To ask other readers questions about Fake Out, please sign up.

·  8,976 ratings  ·  1,231 reviews

Start your review of Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend, #1)
☆ Todd
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I have nothing but LOVE, LOVE, LOVE for this story.

On the surface, it was just your run of the mill "dude learns he's into guys and finds love" tale; however, the way that it was told turned out to be utterly entertaining and completely charming.

Maddox was the consummate hetero man-whore and commitment-phobe. With a heart of gold, of course.

And Damon was the ex-star athlete, whose career ended abruptly due to an injury, and he was angry at the world because he'd never be on the field aga
Wendy
This is a new to me author, and the blurb had me very curious.

This story was pretty much the world upside down for me.....

When Maddox felt like he couldn't break up with his high school girlfriend, he told her he was gay, just so he could escape her....and she wouldn't be too broken hearted.

Things pretty much blow up in his face though, when his ex informs the whole town of his gayness, before he even gets home. This includes his parents, who are really supportive of him being gay.

Now this would
~Mindy Lynn~
5 Stars!

I am a huge fan of the fake relationship trope. Like, major. I will read just about every book I come by with if it has the fake relationship trope going on. So of course I picked this one up as soon as I saw it on my feed and I loved it.

Maddox is single and known for being a man-whore. He has commitment issues that run so deep that he literally ran from home leaving behind an ex and his small home town believing he was gay. Yes, you read that right. He didn't have the nerve to break up
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: queer
This was..... not my fav. The characters were super bland and I’ve seen this plot a thousand times before. It wasn’t terrible but thank u, next
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Fake Out is book one in the Fake Boyfriend series by Eden Finley. This is my very first book by Eden.

Maddox (Maddy) O’Shay is twenty-three years old. For just over a year, since he graduated from college, he has been working for an advertising firm along with his best fried Stacy. Maddy is a bit of a player, never staying with a girl more than one night. The only relationship he stayed in was back in high school. She was the girl everyone expected him to marry, the girl that had him running for
Shile
This was a nice surprise.

3 stars for the Audiobook

4 stars for the story.

The Audio-book was just ok. I enjoy Alexander Cendese and Iggy Tom narration, but here it was somehow a miss. There was no distinction between the Mc's voices, i was left confused at times trying to figure out who was who.

On the plus side, This was cute, light and enjoyable.

The Chemistry between the Mc's was evident and hot!

The banter had me like:

description

It was a little on the soap side but i still liked that there was no unnecessar
Nazanin
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, m-m
3.5 Stars

My huge problem was with the narration, the lack of distinction between MCs’ voices! And it made me confused at some part! But the story itself was good and I had a good laugh with it! I liked both characters but that Stacy girl, she was on my nerve! She was a great sister and best friend but still, I couldn’t tolerate her! Told in dual POV, 1st person. It’s the first installment in the "Fake Boyfriend" series and it can be read as a standalone. Looking forward to reading (not listening
Jessica
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You guys, I was grinning like a fool and laughing out loud the entire time I was listening to this audiobook. I loved it SO MUCH. Maddox told his old girlfriend he was gay in order to break up with her before leaving for college, so his entire hometown and family think he's gay, even though he's not. Is this problematic? Of course. But every single character in the book tells Maddox how horrible that is and never condones that action. Maddox ends up bringing his best friends brother home to his ...more
chan ☆
"I found it- where I'm supposed to be. It's with you."

yep, maddox found where he's supposed to be and what he's supposed to be. surprise surprise:

description

ok technically that gif isn't 100% true but i'm not going to spoil the story for you. what i will say, is that this book was fcking awesome. i thought the whole fake boyfriend/fake fiance/fake relationship trope was pretty played out but i guess i just thought that because all the one's i've read have been straight. and boring.

this wasn't straight and
Lorraine Lesar
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My type of book.

Wake up Maddie, I think I got something to say to you
It’s a wedding and you really need to go
You know you keep me amused, but I feel that I’m being used
Oh Maddie, I couldn’t have tried any more not to fall for you

I came to the wedding
Just to save you from being alone
But you’ve stolen my heart
And that’s what really hurts
I now can’t leave you alone even if I tried.

So the conversation went like this...
Lorraine....great review Deborah. I keep on looking at this one, look again, then
Janie
Maddox and Damon were amazing together. While this has a trope used many times (fake relationship), this one felt different to me. The person doing the pushing away was not who I expected. I was also happy that it didn’t last too long because it was impossible for them to stay away. I could feel their chemistry coming off the pages. They were 🔥
This has a great cast of secondary characters that added nicely to the story. I’m truly looking forward to Noah and Matt’s story.
Ariana
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ariana by: Christelle
*4,5 stars*

This was an unexpected delight.
Unexpected because this is a new author to me and I decided on the spur of the moment to go for it! (Thanks Christelle, for drawing my attention to this!)

I really liked it for ...
- the snarky humour
- MCs I could relate to and who acted (mostly, XD) responsibly with each other despite some confusion and issues
- the well written banter
- the way Maddox comes to terms with his sexuality
- the slow burn between Maddy and Damon
- how we are all the way with t
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio - 3 good enough stars
Story - 4 stars

This was so much fun! I totally understand the Fake Boyfriend series craze now. The story was funny without being silly. That's the kind of romantic comedy I can enjoy! On to the next...
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

“Damon Isaac King … wait, your initials are—”
I grit my teeth. “I know. You don’t think Stacy has made that joke to our parents ever since I came out? ‘No wonder he likes dick when his initials are DIK.”

I don't want to jinx it, but I've been on a reading winning streak lately and this was just the most recent book I read that was awesome! All my trusted MM reviewer goodreads friends loved this, so I shouldn't be surprised, but I am a wildcard and don't always love what everyone e
Gigi
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! Loved all the characters and am excited for Noah and Matt’s story.
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Not for me, I guess*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Maddox ‘Maddy’ Colin O’Shay (23) and the pretend boyfriend he bribed, Damon ‘Dik’ Isaac King (how old?). Damon want to say no, as he has history with straight men, but Maddox has something he needs; soon to be a sports agent and Maddox can give him a meeting with a high-profile hockey player. Maddox lied to his girlfriend in order to breakup with her and said he was gay. 5 years he managed to avoid her, and then her mets her at her bachelorette party. She and
Sabrina
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: man-oh-man
Get it here:
Amazon US * Amazon UK

I don't even know how to put into words how much I enjoyed this couple. Maddox and Damon were amazing together and I loved the dynamic of the whole semi-straight-guy-wants-gay-guy but gay-guy-rejects-straight-guy thing. It was really fun to see them wanting each other and holding off on their desires while all that sexual tension just got stronger.

But then they got together and gave in to that desire and my Kindle about caught on fire. Holy hell these two were
Susan
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Re-read October 2018

I wasn't sure if I could get used to two narrators instead of one, but I have to say that these two voices worked quite well together. I'm totally doing the sequel on audio as well.

---------------------------------------

This book was fun. I really loved how light-hearted Maddox was. The storyline held so much potential for all kinds of angst, but it never went there. Yes, there was a big misunderstanding in the middle, but it was solved almost immediately, so that didn’t real
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

Banter for the win.

No idea why I waited so long to read this series.

Loved this one and can't wait to read the others in the series.
Arena♡
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fake-dating, lgbtq
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!!!

Plot:

Maddox needs a fake boyfriend to go to his ex-girlfriends wedding. This is because years ago, he told a little lie about being gay to break up with his girlfriend and then fled to New York but now, his ex is getting married and he needs a date and so, he convinces Stacy's brother, Damon who is gay, to play fake-boyfriend for him.

Maddox and Damon were adorable together! Their banter was hilarious and I loved them so much. It was so fun to watch them navigate
Sanaa
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

“Sarcasm is great. You can say anything and pretend you’re joking. People think I’m hilarious when in reality I’m just an asshole.”

This book was super cute!!! GAH!!! Almost everything I look for when I'm looking for my next M/M read. And let's appreciate that cover for a second, okay? *swoon*

The blurb caught my attention right off the bat and the author was also new to me. I haven't read a book about a fake relationship in a very long time so this was perfect. Add in good banter,
Rachel
Apr 10, 2018 added it
DNF @ 50%
“Dinner’s almost ready, Mom says. Aunt Cheri stares at Mom in silent question. ‘I have a vegan option for you,’ she adds.

Still a nutcase. Vegetarians, I can forgive. Vegans? Are they even real humans?”

Nope. Not cool.

Authors, why do you find it necessary to ridicule those whose lifestyle choices are different than yours? I have seen similar “jokes” like this pop-up in numerous novels. This type of humor is not funny. Please stop.

This story spends an inordinate amount of time bemoani
Renée
The blurb initially turned me off of this one. But then my friend, Todd, said the magic word - banter.

Yeah, that's all it takes.

I'm glad I did. It was so much better than I thought! And the fake boyfriend trope was executed really differently here - and only took up a small portion of the story.

The rest was just FUN!

No melodrama to be found. Just two guys who kinda pine for each other until they figure their shit out.

With an awful lot of UST mixed in. And aforementioned banter.

I'm really look
Simone
***3 - 3.5 Stars*** for both, audiobook and story

Post-teen drama XXL, that got one or another facepalm from me, but it also made me laugh, so all's good. ;-)

The narration had me mega-confused at times as to who's talking at the moment. Both narrators can do better!

Meep
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first half, light silly premise but likeable characters who get called on their nonsense. It did drag a bit with the talk of labels but a positive spin of accepting self, no denial and no evil-female-ex. Wish I'd stopped reading in the middle though.

For me it went downhill at about the halfway point. Sudden drama. Unnecessary and unexplored. Oddly I'd have preferred some agnst to it sinking immediately into the background. Crazy aunt appeared later as a device for something else, b
Shin Mon Thway
Not in the mood for a full review so I’ll summarize. 😌 Too slow-paced for my liking. The first time they had sex is at 70% mark which is way too long in my book. 😬 Maddox is really afraid of commitment and an all-round diva. Damon is a perfect boyfriend. The more I read contemporary, the more I realize they are way too vanilla for me except for some very few authors who can hit the nail in this genre. 😏 The first time they had sex is hot enough that I’m willing to rate a half-star more. The endi ...more
DarienMoya

The Story: 4 Pants Off

I swear the fake boyfriend trope should get old by now but it really doesn’t. I read it so much in fanfic and I should really be over but NEVER. Fake Out is super sweet and I’m glad I finally took the chance to read it.

The Narration: 4.5 Pants Off

First of all, everyone needs to start booking Alexander Cendese because that voice is tooooooo die for ☠️. Iggy Toma did an awesome job too but I love the grit in ACs voice 😋 (delicioso)

Hit me right out of the park

Bo
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

When I started this I really had no expectations. I mean the premise is completely whacko... Maddox always felt stifled in his hometown, and he needed out in a bad way. When his girlfriend starts with wedding talks, he tells her he's gay and moves far away. However, he's from a small town, and the news spreads like a wildfire. It's 5 years later, and everyone still thinks he's gay including his family. When he runs into his ex-girlfriend, she invites him to her wedding with his made-up
Eugenia
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
So hot and sweet!!

I loved this GFY/“I guess I’m bi”/fake boyfriend story. I swear that the fake boyfriend trope is one of my favorite tropes ever! This book did a great job with it. It was funny, charming and rather well written.

And look at that hottie on the cover, YUM! That must be Damon, our ex-baseball player and aspiring sports agent. I could literally lick him all over! His major hang up was straight guys. A no-go for him. You see, he’d been burned before crushing on his straight best fri
⚣Michaelle⚣
Audio Review: No change

Iggy Toma and Alexander Cendese do a really good job narrating this story, but that was completely expected. I still wish that if an author/publisher is gonna splurge on more than one performer that the recording would be duet-style, though. Getting used to one MC's "voice" only to have it sound differently in the other MC's POV gets frustrating after a while.

Original Rating 05Apr2018: 4.2 Stars

So, yeah, my Bestie totally had it right when it came to this book: It's adorab

• Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Want Me (Extracurricular Activities #1)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Fired Up (Fever Falls, #1)
  • Top Secret
  • The Blueprint (Rules of Possession, #1)
  • Fake It 'til You Make Out (Love & Luck #1)
  • Rule Breaker (Mixed Messages, #1)
  • Say You’ll Be Nine (Say You'll Be Nine, #1)
  • Him (Him, #1)
  • IRL: In Real Life (After Oscar, #1)
  • #Junkie (GearShark, #1)
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • Us (Him, #2)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • Fakers
  • Crossroads (Crossroads, #1)
Eden Finley is an Amazon bestselling author who writes steamy contemporary romances that are mostly full of snark and light-hearted fluff.

She lives to create an escape from real life for herself and her readers.

She's also an Australian girl and apologises for her Australianisms that sometimes don't make sense to anyone else.

Fake Boyfriend (6 books)
  • Trick Play (Fake Boyfriend, #2)
  • Deke (Fake Boyfriend, #3)
  • Blindsided (Fake Boyfriend #4)
  • Hat Trick (Fake Boyfriend #5)
  • Final Play (Fake Boyfriend)