Start by marking “The Last Resort” as Want to Read:
The Last Resort

The Last Resort

“Marissa Stapley’s writing is a gift.”—Pam Jenoff, New York Times bestselling author of The Orphan’s Tale

The Harmony Resort promises hope for struggling marriages. Run by celebrity power couple Drs. Miles and Grace Markell, the "last resort" offers a chance for partners to repair their relationships in a luxurious setting on the gorgeous Mayan Riviera.

Johanna and Ben have
Published by Graydon House (first published June 18th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Resort, please sign up.
Caroline Williams yes, you will have to read it to find out :)

Start your review of The Last Resort
marilyn
I enjoyed The Last Resort but it took so long for us to get to know the characters and to understand their problems, that it was hard to care much about them. And then when push comes shove (there is a pun in there about the book), it just goes on and on in such a way that it begins to be funny. This was a fun but over the top read when it comes to the fate of Miles but it couldn't have happened to a more suitable man.

At the same time that it comes out on social media that Miles Markell has
Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
Entertaining, brisk, & compelling!

THE LAST RESORT by MARISSA STAPLEY was an interesting premise with a fabulous setting that held my interest right from the very start. I was immediately hooked and intrigued but felt like I was reading something very similar to some previous books that I have recently read though.

Although I thought some of the reveals were a little predictable I was thoroughly entertained and found this to be a very good, enjoyable, quick and easy read. I thought the whole
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
A fantastic read, this book is definitely different, from no chapter headings to celebrity articles. It was a bit of getting used to in the beginning for me. Once day 3 comes around and some secrets are being revealed, I couldn’t read fast enough. I couldn’t guess any of their secrets, especially Johanna and Drs. Markell’s. I like how the cover is peaceful and the story is anything but. I started reading this book with only the knowing about marriage counseling, but oh boy, what a ride I was ...more
Bren
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of creepy thrillers that take place in Tropical settings.
― Marissa Stapley, The Last Resort

This book is about the Harmony Resort. Located in Mexico, this stunning resort is right on the ocean and offers an upscale resort experience with a five star restaurant located on premises and breathtaking views of the sea.

Palm trees abound and the luxury bungalows make it certain that this vacation will be one that all visitors remember forever.

Brenda -Traveling Sister
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it

The Harmony Resort in the Mayan Riviera sounds like a luxurious resort and Doctor Miles and Grace Markell appear to be the perfect hosts and couple to the guests. Things are not what they seem here. The guests are not here to read on the beach and soak up the sun. They are there is repair their broken marriages through couples therapy.

Marissa Stapley creates some interesting couple here all with their own personal conflicts and secrets they are keeping. The tension and emotions rise as
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
DNF at 60%. Storyline is getting too dramatic for my liking. Moving on...
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
Mini Review

The Last Resort may be your last resort to check into to fix your marriage! That is if you trust the outward appearance of power couple Drs. Miles and Grace Markell.

Couples in this novel arrive at this lush retreat with the hope to reconnect with their spouse, some just come along for the ride, and some have something to hide. A perfect combination of guests that make for interesting group therapy sessions and experimental treatment methods put in place.

What most don't expect is to
Mandy White
The Last Resort by Marissa Stapley is a fun read. It was a book that I read quite quickly, with short chapters and broken up with transcripts from an interview and newspaper articles. There are a variety of characters in this story, not all of them are very likeable at all. Some you warm up to, some you despise from the start. A resort for couples therapy with no access to the outside world - what could go wrong??!

So much goes wrong as it happens! Miles and Grace Markell are famous for helping
Berit☀️✨
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc-physical
** Mini Review **

This book was a wild and crazy ride! An island resort, couples trying to repair their marriage, secrets, lies, black male, and a hurricane. This book was SO entertaining. It got a little over-the-top at times, but I was completely invested in the madness. I thought this was going to be a book about couples therapy and some secrets, but it turned into something completely different. A huge swerve and I was there for it! Major drama with a satisfying ending.

This book in emojis
Dale Harcombe
The harmony Resort promises to help marriages that are in trouble. It is run by Drs. Miles and Grace Markell and set in luxury on the Mayan Rivieria. Of the group attending, the resort the story focuses on two couples in particular, Johanna and Ben and Shell and Colin. It soon becomes apparent that Harmony is not all it seems and neither are those running the program.
I waded through, and it felt like wading, roughly a third of this book before I finally put it aside. None of the characters were
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

The scene is set from the front cover of The Last Resort by Marissa Stapley. With an exotic feel cult like retreat, a nest of secrets, lies and psychological behavior, this novel certainly sets an intriguing premise. Based on a tropical idyll in the Mayan Riviera, a number of couples battle it out to solve the complex problems navigating their lives, relationships and future happiness.

The Last Resort provides us with an eye opening glimpse into the
Esil
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

The Last Resort didn’t end up being my cup of tea. I’m all for psychological thrillers based on secrets, but there were too many improbable secrets here for me. Grace and Miles run a resort in Mexico for couples trying to reunite. The stay even includes therapy sessions. But it turns out that they have problems of their own. Big problems that affect their ability to help their guests. Then there are couples Joanne and Ben, and Shell and Colin, who show up at the resort with their own
Kylie H
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, drama
Having read some great reviews about this book I probably went into it with some high expectations and for me it fell a little flat.
The setting is a 'couples resort' in South America, but run by husband and wife psychologist to help couples to repair their relationships. I found the whole couple therapy interactions a bit cringe worthy. It soon becomes obvious that it is the therapists themselves that that need the most help.
On top of this a tropical cyclone is bearing down on them. It was all a
Gloria Arthur
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Resort by Marissa Stapley

The Last Resort was gripping and suspenseful.

It’s a drama about unhappily married couples that go to stay at The Harmony Resort located on a tropical island off Mexico’s Mayan Riviera.

Celebrity therapist Dr Miles Markell and his wife Grace repair broken marriages and they offer an intensive two-week couples therapy program with no access to the outside world in this secluded and exquisite location.

All suitcases will be searched for hidden alcohol and drugs, who
Hannah Mary McKinnon
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Couples with secrets, people who tell lies—nothing is as it seems in Marissa Stapley’s tense and tightly paced thriller, THE LAST RESORT. Fans of Agatha Christie will surely love this modern whodunit from the first to the very last page. One to add to your “to read” list now.
Tucker

Many thanks to Graydon for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

Honestly, I was inches away from DNF-ing this. It's not that it was bad but not that is was good either. The Last Resort takes place at a marriage counseling retreat, which is a very unique and creative setting for a thriller. The resort had a very spooky and suspicious vibe that kept me constantly biting my nails. I was constantly waiting for something to pop out from around the corner. And while there were some
Sonica
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, Marissa Stapley and Simon & Schuster Canada, for a copy of The Last Resort, in exchange for my honest review. This title releases June 18.

Harmony is a highly regarded resort in the Mayan Riviera, with a focus on providing therapy to couples. Run by the infamous Grace and Miles Markell – couple goals; at least that is what they want their clientele to believe. When a group of couples arrives for their stay they are in awe with the beauty that is the resort and its grounds and their
Deborah Ideiosepius
This book was flawless.
As eerie, psychological thrillers go I can't think of a single one that has pulling me into the plot as fast and as efficiently. The wring is good, the setting sends shivers up my spine and the characters have a depth, a three dimensional to them that I think is exceptional.

Set in The Harmony Resort, which promises a last ditch, intensive plan for struggling marriages, the polished nature of the resort, the counseling sessions and the isolated setting in Mexico were a
Marianne
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Resort is the third novel by best-selling American author, Marissa Stapley. Located on the Mayan Riviera in Mexico, the Harmony Resort is touted as the last resort for failing marriages. Celebrity therapist Dr Miles Markell and his wife Grace and their team at the luxury resort repair marriages, a dozen couples at a time. It takes just two weeks. Their own marriage is, of course, perfect.

The reader knows, though, from the first pages, that after Hurricane Christine has passed through
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ

20515174
I really love supporting Canadian authors and Maria Stapley lives in Toronto, like me. I read her book Mating for Life and really enjoyed it. She knows how to write women's fiction, very well, so I was surprised to see a suspenseful novel by her. She really hit it out of the park with this one.

I liked the way the author moved from each main character and gave clear insight to their fears and insecurities. Each was living behind a facade which they projected to the public. What was going
Katie (never.ending.reading.list)
The Last Resort tells the story of a marriage counseling resort lead by a questionably perfect couple and following the troubles of 4 of the guests. The secrets everyone is hiding from not only their spouses but often themselves are slowly revealed and with hurricane approaching, things take a dire turn. The book opens with a death/possible murder then flashes back to the start of the retreat. This reveal gives the reader pause to question who has the motive and who actually is hiding what.

Gigi H
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf-2019
2.5 stars (rounded up)

"..the average person has thirteen secrets that they live with-five of which they've never told a soul. That was our focus, at the resort: secrets"

Thrill Level:

Drama:

DNF at 116 pages

The author does a good job at leaving a trail of crumbs to reel you in, but unfortunately, it wasn't enough to get me hooked.

The premise sounded so promising! I even liked the style, which included emails and a Hollywood gossip article. It just took way too long to get into all the couples'
Megan
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Resort by Marissa Stapley is a good beach read, if not a bit predictable. The Harmony Resort on the Mayan Riviera is run by celebrity marriage counselors Miles and Grace Markell. Couples who are struggling with their marriage go to the "last resort" to get the help they need to repair their relationship. Two couples, Johanna and Ben and Shell and Colin, both arrive at the Harmony Resort with seemingly unsolvable marriage issues. Johanna has experienced a serious trauma, which has caused ...more
Zoe
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sinuous, compelling, and timely.

Full review to follow shortly!
OutlawPoet
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On Amazon, as I write this, there are very few five star reviews on this one. *shrug whatever*

I loved it.

No, it's not action packed (and usually I love wham bam thank you ma'am action). It's more insidious than that. The author slowly but surely builds a story where the readers realizes there's so much rot under the beautiful surface.

I loved most of our characters - and hated the ones I was supposed to hate. I wanted everything to turn out okay and wanted one person to pay a painful price.

Sharah McConville
The Last Resort is a psychological thriller set in the beautiful Mayan Riviera, Mexico. Wealthy couples needing relationship help travel to The Harmony Resort to save their marriages. The resort, run by celebrity couple Dr Miles and Grace Markell, is not what it seems. Thanks to Allen & Unwin for my ARC of Marissa Stapley's book.
Booksandchinooks (Laurie)
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Simon and Schuster Canada and Harlequin for a free review copy of this book. The setting of this book is initially quite beautiful. It is set in a stunning private resort on the Mayan Riviera. The book starts with couples arriving at the Harmony Resort to attend a couples retreat. The retreat is run by a well know celebrity couple. Miles and Grace are psychologists and on the outside they have a perfect marriage. This facade falls apart as we learn more about them and the techniques ...more
Madeline
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I was very involved with the storyline.

Reading bits here and there when I didn’t have too much time.

I liked the way the author wrapped up the story, tying all the threads.
Janet
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing

The Harmony Resort promises hope for struggling marriages. Run by celebrity power couple Drs. Miles and Grace Markell, the “last resort” offers a chance for partners to repair their relationships in a luxurious setting on the gorgeous Mayan Riviera.

Johanna and Ben have a marriage that looks
Nppiche
May 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
***I received an ARC from the publisher and netgalley for an honest review***

This was quite the disappointment... I don’t know... After every chapter I wanted something even more drastic or exciting to happen. I felt let down by how everything unfolded. I could not connect with the characters and would have appreciated better character build-up.

• The Arrangement
  • Woman on the Edge
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Your Life Is Mine
  • Mr. Nobody
Marissa Stapley is the Globe and Mail bestselling author of the novels Mating for Life, Things to Do When It's Raining and The Last Resort. Her fiction has been published around the world and her journalism has appeared in magazines and newspapers across North America. She has taught creative writing and editing at the University of Toronto and Centennial College, and still mentors/teaches a small ...more
“[...] the average person has thirteen secrets that they live with-five of which they’ve never told a soul” 0 likes