Start by marking “Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?” as Want to Read:
Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?

Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?

Welcome to Camp Reset, a summer camp with a difference. A place offering a shot at “normality” for Olive, a girl on the edge, and for the new friends she never expected to make – who each have their own reasons for being there. Luckily Olive has a plan to solve all their problems. But how do you fix the world when you can’t fix yourself?
Published August 9th 2018 by Usborne Publishing Ltd (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?, please sign up.
Nora Farrell I would say that it would land more with older kids but there isn't any 'inappropriate' that you'd need to restrict. The voice is so clear and honest …moreI would say that it would land more with older kids but there isn't any 'inappropriate' that you'd need to restrict. The voice is so clear and honest that parallels the mind of a young person so well anyway. (less)
The Exact Opposite of Okay by Laura StevenI Was Born for This by Alice OsemanClean by Juno DawsonGoodbye, Perfect by Sara  BarnardI Am Thunder by Muhammad    Khan
UKYA in 2018
62 books — 70 voters
What's a Girl Gotta Do? by Holly BourneAm I Normal Yet? by Holly BourneIt Only Happens in the Movies by Holly BourneThings a Bright Girl Can Do by Sally NichollsHow Hard Can Love Be? by Holly Bourne
Feminist UKYA
58 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
Warda
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#KindnessIsContagious!

Holly Bourne does is once again. She absolutely delivered with this book and I hope she continues to write YA contemporaries with focus on mental health and feminism.
She crafts stories and characters with lives so real and relatable, you can't help but feel a part of it all.

This book was erratic, because our main character had bipolar disorder. And the way she managed to flesh out Olive's character and her thought processes were very vivid. You really got to understand and
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, anxiety
BE KIND TO YOURSELF <3 ...more
Ellesha
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, reviewed-books
Holly Bourne is one of my favourite authors, I waited forever for this book and again, she has not failed to please. This book is just amazing. Holly is famous for writing about issues such as feminism and mental health and this book is such a perfect portrayal of a young girl suffering with bipolar disorder.

As a mental health nurse in training, I have to say that I am so impressed with the way Holly has managed to portray Olive’s illness in this book. I managed to recognise her illness only a
Emer (A Little Haze)
Minor thematic spoilers...

It took me practically two weeks to read this book and once I got to the end I felt utterly underwhelmed and entirely unsatisfied by what I had read. The ending was abrupt AF and yes, obvs I get the whole mental health issues are a journey and can't be cured by one camp or a moment of self realisation. But woah did that ending feel hollow to me.
I didn't feel that all the other patients of Camp Reset (aka supporting characters) were written in a detailed enough manner a
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Absolutely brilliant

Holly is amazing at writing young people / teens and also portrays mental health in young people in such a real and honest way and it’s just so important
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
"#KindnessIsContagious"

As Holly Bourne books go, that i have read, this was as always fun, realistic and sassy to read.  This book is mainly about mental illness and it shines a bright shiny light on that topic and doesn't shy away from discussing all the bads.

This book is about Olive, a teenager who has a hard time coping in this world..... "Being normal". Her doctor suggest a solution in terms of Camp Reset, a place where she might have a chance of finding normality.

Olive was kinda an unre
Emma
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I think real kindness, real compassion, is having the strength to stop and try and see where another person is coming from. To try and work out why they’re being the way they’re being. It takes time and patience. It’s not as easy, but that’s real kindness.”

4.25 stars 🌟

I’m a big fan of Holly Bourne and everything she writes. This book was no exception. It’s an uplifting story about the power of kindness and compassion.

One of the most important themes of this book is of course mental health. (
Abantika(hiltonjenkin)
“Do you think I’m crazy?” I ask him, with only my face poking out.

He winces and grabs his white dressing gown off the floor, shrugging himself into it. “In order to think you’re crazy, I’d have to understand what sanity actually meant.”

Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes? by Holly Bourne is a gripping contemporary YA novel dealing with the issue of mental health. It revolves around Olive and more people of her age who suffers from mental illness and their shot at ‘normality’ at Camp Reset.

The wr
Maddie
Sep 02, 2018 added it
Shelves: stand-alones, ukya
Because I knew the ethos of this story before going in, it was less powerful than if I'd just discovered it. The way Olive came to epiphanies about kindness felt too...overtly moralising for my taste. I really admired the deep dive into mental health discussion that this book does more than any other of Holly Bourne's titles. I'm sure this will really resonate with anyone that's been diagnosed with a mental illness, and help them to recover in some way. If you liked 'Clean' by Juno Dawson and wa ...more
Clara

I started really loving this book but it triggered me a lot, which isn’t Holly’s fault but it reminded me too much of my time at the hospital and being in a dark place myself it was hard to read Olive’s thoughts as she kept getting worse. That being said Holly did a great job at picturing mental illnesses. I didn’t give it a higher rating because I thought the pacing was off and I didn’t end up being truly inspired by it!
Joanne
Originally published on Once Upon a Bookcase.

Trigger Warning: This book features suicide ideation, and discussion of sexual child abuse and selfharm.

Having loved The Spinster Club Trilogy, and how well she dealt with Evie's OCD in Am I Normal Yet?, when I heard Holly Bourne was writing another novel dealing with mental illness, Are We All Lemmings & Snowflakes?, I was dying to read it. And oh my god, this book is absolutely incredible.

Olive isn't ok. After a depressive episode leads her to stand
Travel.with.a.book
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holly never fails me to fall in love with her new novels, this is a remarkable and phenomenal book!
I devoured this extraordinary in maximum and in the end it left me speechless!
She really has amazed me with her brilliant writings, I always knew that she can write but this one is her masterpiece!
...Are We All Lemmings And Snowflakes? is a very well deserved 5/5 book, and I'm so honoured to be a book ambassador for this novel, I want to thank @usbourneya with all my heart for providing me with th
Nadhira Satria
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Finally! A good bipolar rep! Thank you holly Bourne for writing this novel. I feel like I can relate a lot to the mc
Being kind to yourself is hard. Especially for those who have mental illnesses. I feel like the author just stabbed me because I feel attacked when the mc was told to stop blaming herself or for hating herself. I blame myself and hate myself for my mental illnesses and it’s hard to be kind to myself. This book gave me such a positive message
Anne Vivliohomme
This book made me feel so angry. If I were Bruce Banner, I would become green even thinking about this book. I was in my local bookstore, and I had this sudden craving to read a book with characters part of the LGBTQ community or characters dealing with mental health. I needed a good book to cry over, and usually, these do the trick. I think it's because the characters have to deal with shit that society throws at them, and usually culture's messed up ways enrages me to the point of crying.

This
Gehaenna
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was a nice read, I like Bourne's writing style very much. But something didn't click with me and the book.
If your mental illness is linked to an excessive amount of empathy or if you're easily triggered by description of depression or mania, think twice if you're in the right mindset to read the book.
I enjoyed reading it though, and I think this is a good book if you don't know much about mental illnesses and what it's like to have them.

Spoilers from here on :)

I didn't like some of the chara
Marie
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases
Real rating: 3,5 stars.
Holly Bourne's books about mental health are always fantastic and I had a great time reading this one, despite enjoying it a little less than her previous stories. I liked the messages about kindness most of it all :)
Full review coming soon!

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter - Bloglovin'
Alessandra Crivelli
“I think real kindness, real compassion, is having the strength to stop and try and see where another person is coming from. To try and work out why they're being the way they're being. It takes time and patience. It's not easy, but that's real kindness.”

Holly Bourne never ceases to be an outstanding writer about MENTAL HEALTH.
I am going to endorse for every single book of hers until I have breath.

🔹 Realistic struggles with mental health
🔹 Different characters with differe
Sara
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holly Bourne's books crackle with electricity. They feel *alive*. And this one crackles and sparks right off the page. Olive's voice is so brilliant and the supporting cast of characters is so real.

If anyone asks what it is that makes UK YA special, show them this book.
Shealea
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Honestly, it took me a while before I was able to really invest in the story, but once I arrived at that point, I really could not put the book down! In fact, despite having a 10 A.M. class the following day, I stayed up until 2:30 in the morning because I was that determined to finish this book.

I think it’d be a huge understatement to say that I have mixed feelings about Holly Bourne’s latest novel; but ultimately, I did appreciate Are We All Lemmings & Snowflakes and really admire the nuanced
Kara Babcock
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welcome one and all to another instalment of Fanboying About Holly Bourne. I read Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes? mostly on a flight to Montreal to visit my friend Rebecca, on whom I foist all the Holly Bourne books after I read them, finishing the book at her place while I waited for her to come home from work. I wasn’t sure what to expect from the spartan description on the back—but having read quite a lot of Bourne’s books by now, I knew I could expect something good. I knew I could expec ...more
ilsa➹
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star
no one:
mc: Uh yEah so Me and bOys hAve ThIs spEcIal COnnEctiOn u know boys just like me,,,, its reAllY diFFicLlt,,,, ya know,,,, having so many people just fAll iN loVE wITh Me, i guess,,,, it's,,,, just,,,,, how the world,,,,works,,,, i was born to be,,,, aTtraCtIve to all boys,,,,, just how it woRkS,,,,,
Oda Renate
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great Holly Bourne book.
Had to take two days before I read the last 100 pages, because of the heavyness of the book.
Still just as important to read as most of her books are.
I do recomend it, but be ready for a heavy book.
Manon the Malicious
I fell in love with Holly Bourne’s writing a year and a half ago after I read What’s a Girl Gotta do?.

So this book, which is the last Holly Bourne that came out is about Olive and the summer camp she goes to, Camp Reset. It’s a Camp for teenager with psychological disorders. Olive meets a lot of people there and suddenly has this idea… What if everything could be fixed with math? What if all we need is more kindness?

Olive was an amazing character, so complex, interesting, layered and endearing.
Ketie
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh this hurt my heart a little. Maybe even a lot. Yes...actually very much a lot.

Olive is a bit all over the place and so is this writing but honestly I can say that this was, for me at least, such an accurate read on how we get to see Olive’s thought process battling her demons. Her highs and lows were described so accurately that I just understood her actions so well even if the characters in the books sometimes didn’t. The thing that intrigued me the most about the way Olive goes into the cam
Rodoreads
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Are We All Lemmings And Snowflakes .

So where do I even start? I closed the book to realize I had tears streaming down my face. I'm hungover now. Holly Bourne has her way with words. So painstaking raw words and brutally honest.

Thoughts :
Olive is just like every other human being on earth, she really is. Normality in this world is a luxury honestly. We all have something going on for us, demons inside our heads, thoughts that drive us to abyss of nothingness, fear of never being the same, fear
K.
Trigger warnings: mental health, mentions of suicide and self harm, mentions of cheating, using people???

3.5 stars.

I ADORE Holly Bourne's Spinster Club trilogy and the ways in which she flawlessly weaves mental health into all facets of her stories. So when this came out a year or so ago, I bought it without even knowing what it was about. And then it promptly sat on my shelf for the better part of a year without me even touching it. Whoops??

I did like this, but it's not an easy read. Olive's
El
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Rating moved from 4 to 3 but real rating would be in between*

This book is just what I needed even though I totally didn’t know - kind of ironic really, considering that’s a very similar mentality to Olive! 😂
I kind of frazzled out reading-wise and I just didn’t let myself acknowledge it, I just said I was fine. But I REALLY needed this!

It’s a FANTASTIC contemporary novel centred around teens with different mental illnesses becoming friends, excepting themselves and others, and just spreading kin
Lara
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: harper-collins
You know how I started ARE WE ALL LEMMINGS AND SNOWFLAKES nine hours ago? Yes, it’s 1am in the morning and yes I did just finish it. No, I am not okay, but yes, you do need to read it. Still trying to collect my thoughts but a definite five star read 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Calzean
A good YA book on dealing with mental health, how to see others and why you should be kind to yourself. It does not work so well for the adult reader - it has a few plausibility issues - but Olive is a full on character with the sense not to want to be labelled.
WaterstonesBirmingham
Having read and loved Holly Bourne's other books I knew I was in for a treat when I picked this up. What I didn't expect was how much I would end up caring for Olive and her friends as they embark on a stay at a revolutionary new clinic aimed at helping teens with mental health issues.

Their journey is funny and heart-breaking and truly makes you think about how important it is for everyone to talk about mental health. This is one of the most honest books I've read and it a definite must read fo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Floored
  • Fierce Fragile Hearts (Beautiful Broken Things, #2)
  • Theatrical
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Paper Avalanche
  • Meat Market
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • Rosie Loves Jack
  • I Am Not a Number
  • A Girl Called Shameless (Izzy O'Neill, #2)
  • Goodbye, Perfect
  • The Love Hypothesis
  • We Are Young
  • Beautiful Broken Things (Beautiful Broken Things, #1)
  • The Burning
  • Jemima Small Versus the Universe
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
Holly started her writing career as a news journalist, where she was nominated for Best Print Journalist of the Year. She then spent six years working as an editor, a relationship advisor, and general ‘agony aunt’ for a youth charity – helping young people with their relationships and mental health.

Inspired by what she saw, she started writing teen fiction, including the best-selling, award-winni