Start by marking “Over the Pass and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Over the Pass and Other Stories

Over the Pass and Other Stories

From the expansive openness of Texas to the steep peaks of Montana, this collection of stories mines iconic landscapes--the internal mirroring the outer realms. Many previously published in Literary journals and anthologies, some, original here, all explore what it means to be human. They are stories of the heart.
Published March 10th 2018 by Dark Horse Fictioin

To ask other readers questions about Over the Pass and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over the Pass and Other Stories

Start your review of Over the Pass and Other Stories
Peter
Affirmation
I have fallen in love with short stories thanks to Over the Pass and Other Short Stories by Susan Mary Malone. Reading a book of short stories, to steal a very famous quote is “like a box of chocolates”, you never know what you’re going to get or if you’re going to like them all. Well, this book was a quality box of chocolates with 12 different centres. Each story standing on its own, with its own flavoured centre but covered in the same luxurious coating.

The first 3 stories involve t
Leonard Tillerman
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the wonderful world of fiction writing there are so many different types of genres and stories that virtually any reader will be able to find something which they enjoy.  Even within the same genres there are different approaches to writing which are really only limited by the author’s imagination.  These great authors will grab words from the air and put them down on paper so that they are colorful, captivating and intelligible.  They can provide the reader with much needed entertainment and ...more
Taylor Watkins
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When author Susan Mary Malone contacted me about this book and told me that she was a native Texan, I was delighted! I don't get too many opportunities to meet Texan authors outside of writers' conferences, and I don't recall ever reviewing a book by a Texan author before. She kindly gave me a .mobi file of Over the Pass, and Other Stories in exchange for an honest review, and I'm certainly glad that she did, because I loved this book!

Check out my full review, complete with a list of pros and co
Lee Hall
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An anthology of deep and wonderfully descriptive short stories that whisks the reader away…

Using a combination of vivid settings and a deep immersive writing style, Susan Mary Malone has put together a book of tales that can best be described as escapism in it’s purest form. The american landscape described throughout will make any reader think that they have stood overlooking places of natural beauty even if they have never been there and that is just one of the many values this book contains.

H
Nina Romano
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No Spoilers Here!

Good literary fiction always involves folks of all walks of life with problems, baggage, tension, troubles, and risk. And these are the characters that people the stories of Susan Mary Malone's short story collection, Over the Pass and Other Stories, and I was literally blown away reading them. This is fiction that transports the reader to the places of the setting and puts them smack dab into the middle of people’s lives and their plights and predicaments.

I didn't find the wr
Píaras Cíonnaoíth
A pleasure to read...

This short story collection is excellent and makes you think, indeed, that is probably its intention and the author Susan Mary Malone definitely succeeds in putting you front and center as if you were there to see the realities which confront us all. It was a pleasure to read it.

I found her work to be original, intriguing and by all accounts entertaining. Her short stories entitled, Over the Pass and Two Hundred Miles to Dumas were among my favorites. Her writing style was
Carmen
There were three short stories that had the same characters: Winter's Prey, Descent and Over the Pass. Winter's Prey was quite poetic at times, and I quite liked this. The other two seemed to be mainly from Julie's point of view, and it made me question her view and how accurate it was - I got the idea that she was one of those very emotionally sensitive characters.
With regards to Cowboys over Ladies, I got the impression that Sara had become a little bit bitter in regards to her marriage.
The
Heather Brown Beatty
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Beautifully written. The characters were captivating and the stories engaging.
SD
rated it did not like it
Nov 25, 2019
Dr Wang
Apr 10, 2018
Virginia Tell
Susan Malone
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Judy
Sep 17, 2020
Susan Wiswall
is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2018
Texas native Susan Mary Malone has published two novels, co-authored four nonfiction books, and written many short stories. Her happiness is fiction, wine, and Labrador Retrievers, the latter of which she raises, trains, and shows. Literature is her love. In addition to writing, she edits; fifty-plus Malone-edited books have sold to traditional publishers, and one of them was made into a Hallmark ...more