Start by marking “Sister BFFs” as Want to Read:

Sister BFFs

From the author of the #1 New York Times best-selling graphic novel Soppy: A Love Story comes this sweet, witty collection of comics about the push and pull of sisterhood.

Sister BFFs follows a pair of sisters who are not quite adults, but trying desperately to act like them. From job searches to embarrassing encounters with former crushes, these twenty-something sisters n
Published September 4th 2018 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sister BFFs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sister BFFs

Start your review of Sister BFFs
[Shai] Bibliophage
Sister BFFs is a graphic novel that shows the sisterly bond of the author, Philippa, and her younger sister, Holly. Their funny relationship banters, and moments were definitely amusing to read. My sister and I's relationship is way different from Philippa and her sister because I guess we're a bit serious especially when giving advice or opinion.
Sister BFFs
As for the author, their bond is more on the hilarious and silly side and that they are not afraid to talk about anything, and on trying new thing
Beatrice Masaluñga
Thank you Andrews McMeel Publishing for the copy in exchange for an honest review.

It was a decent graphic novel exploring sister relationship. To be honest with you, I cannot relate to this because I'm an only child. I don't know how it feels like to have a sibling who I can bicker or confide with. The closest sister I have is my mom. Personality wise, I'm the polar opposite of these sisters. They're adults but I find them immature for their age. The plot lacked of direction and the humor doesn'
Cassandra
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This KILLED me, but in the best way possible! I way laughing out loud, and showing certain comic strips to my friends. I can already tell this will be a huge hit with anyone who enjoys Cat vs Human, Cyanide and Happiness, or Little Moments of Love. This type of dark and witty ( yet totally realistic) humor is exactly what I look for in my graphic novels. Bravo! I will be telling a few friends of mine to buy this for their sister for Christmas.

A huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for
Carrie Templeton
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved Soppy, so I was THRILLED to see a new book from Philippa Rice on NetGalley. As one of many children, including 6 sisters, Sister BFFs hit home in the very best ways. It was cute, funny, heartwarming, and completely ridiculous, just like any relationship with your adultish sister should be.

I told my 18 year-old sister I will be gifting her Sister BFFs as soon as it is available for purchase. Huge thanks to Philippa for sharing your life in such a delightful and relatable way ❤️
Nusrat Mahmood
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
You are an ocean away (literally) from your sister and you read this book and realise how stupid you were to tell her that she was an adopted child, that your mom loves you more than her, that you are blessed that sister came as a bff in a family.

Okay, I thought I never going to say that but I want my lil sis right now, sitting beside me, eating junks. Right Now!
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Just remember, humor is subjective, humor is subjective, humor is subjective.

I would love to love this series of sister cartoons, but I find them off, somehow. I just can't get how two sisters, in their 20s, from the read of this, are having these childish arguments, and other such situations that happen when they are together.  Perhaps the 20s is the new teenager.

I found a few of the cartoons mildly amusing, but I found both sisters to be selfish, childish and argumentative. I know this series
Marylou
*3 1/2 stars*
This was a fun read!
Philippa Rice wrote Soppy an adorable graphic novel that featured real life moments with her boyfriend. In this one however she illustrates memories with her sister. Having a sister myself, I felt a personal connection to a lot of the stories.
That one actually happened not long ago, as we were watching on YouTube excellent auditions in talent shows:

Gillian At Home
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I picked this up at a bookstore on a whim and I am SO glad I did. I LOVE this, and can already think of 3 people I’m going to give copies to as gifts. My sister and I are best friends and I see us in this. Capturing the unique bond sister have in this book is a kind of magic trick. I’ll read anything else Philippa Rice writes.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Not sure what I was expecting when I picked this up, but it was not this. I wanted to love this graphic novel depicting sisterhood, but it did not ring true with me. I have three sisters and we confide, advise and joke with one another, but not in this way. It seemed they were a bit selfish, and argumentative. They did not even act like young adults in my thinking. Perhaps I am too old for this type of humour, but it was not my cup of tea. I guess as another reviewer said, humour is subjective.

Rod Brown
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A passably funny collection of hit-or-miss short gags about two sisters who spend waaaay too much time together. They also spend way too much time smelling each other as Rice indulges in more than a little bit of gross-out and potty humor.

This amusingly candid look at sisterhood is a little snarky and a lot whiny. It might be best digested in small doses as I (or the book) seemed to flag in the second half.
vanessa
This collection of comics about sisters put me in a great mood. I find Rice's antics relatable, hilarious, and silly. I kept showing panels to people around me because a lot of them had me giggling and I couldn't keep the giggles to myself!
Linda
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
*netgalley review*

Sister BFFs is a book showing some daily arguments between 2 sisters who are so close, like best friends. They are trying to be grown-ups in adult world.

It was an okay reading. Did I enjoy it? Eh... Unfortunately. Maybe I unconsciously expected something, or I didn't quite get it because I am an only child. What I didn't like much was the sisters were a bit too childish. Their arguments sometimes bored me.
Ms. Arca
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher/author for this ARC in return for an honest review!

This one totally missed the mark for me. I liked the concept of two sisters navigating life and having that representation be honest and a bit messy, but this one lacked storytelling and was just too messy for my liking. I did laugh at the back and forth debate about who would shut the door— anyone with a sibling can recognize that debate!
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed it. Definitely a sister dynamic. Art was fun and unique. Story was funny and relatable.
Shallowreader VaVeros
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Very funny and totally relatable.
Christine Hopkins
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
certainly not one of those graphic novels where I took pictures of most of the pages to send to my sister because it is all so unbelievably true
Jenna Vahue (Goldilocks Reads)
Another rec comes flying in from NerdBurger! I've wanted to read Philippa Rice's book Soppy but it was never available from my library and I did not want to pay the exorbitant price for a graphic novel. Sister BFFs was available on Hoopla for free! Sister BFFs was a very strange book but rather silly. The author illustrated her half-contemptuous, half-allied relationship with her older(?) sister. I get along quite well with my own sister, other than a family-wide disdain for her dumb bunny husba ...more
Bunny
Aug 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, read-in-18
Received via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and unbiased review

You know how, when you're hanging out with someone you really love, like a best friend, sister, spouse, etc, and something happens and you both laugh so hard you pee a little? Or you're having a text conversation and it's just so witty and snappy, you're convinced you need your own reality show?

But then you try to tell other people about this hilarity, and they just kind of smile bemusedly and say, "Must've had to be there"?

This bo
Hannah Woycik
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an eARC in exchange for my honest review. All thoughts are my own.

“Sister BFFs follows a pair of sisters who are not quite adults but trying desperately to act like them. From job searches to embarrassing encounters with former crushes, these twenty-something sisters navigate the ups, downs, and in-betweens of early adulthood – together…”

This was a cute, short collection of comics based on the author’s real life. I have a little brot
Brave
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-reads
I don't have any sisters, but I do have one self-professed Diva younger brother who introduces himself to my parents' friends as "the REAL daughter" and introduces me to his friends as his "deceptively feminine-looking brother" so take my review for what it's worth...which is basically nothing.

Anyway, this was really funny. There were moments here that I've 100% had with my brother and with longtime childhood friends, once upon a time. It was funny and still kind of sweet, and a perfectly enjoya
Emily
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
A fun graphic novel about sisterhood. If you have a sister, you'll get the humor. This was funny and a little sweet.
David
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this so much. Hilarious!
Theediscerning
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
For once I was a little happy to read the very negative reviews of this book – not to wish any author into being forced to give me such a fillip, but it kind of reassured me that it wasn't just me, my gender and my lack of sisters that made this book feel like a minor misfire. I read a lot of it with completely the wrong impression of which of the sisters was the author, which might seem minor but still counts as a reaction.

But far more importantly, this book suffered from the same malaise that
Arvenig
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
First of all thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My rating: 3.5 out 5 stars

As the author says at the beginning this book is about the relationship between two sisters (in particular her relationship with her younger sister). They live in the same house and always have childish arguments.

I’m an only child, but I think this comic is an accurate representation of how the sisters's "love and hate relationships" work: sisters alw
Paul Franco
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The title tells you all you need to know, and the cover informs as to how basic the artwork is.
My fave line: “You monstrosity!” Other highlights:
There’s a panel that is unintentionally funny to everyone outside Britain, or I guess the Commonwealth: Whoever could have thought it would be a good idea to have separate spigots in a sink for the hot and cold water?
They make up by watching cat memes.
“You’ve a stubborn face, but I’ve done my best.”
“Instead of losing a ball, you gain a ball.”
Some of the
K.W. Colyard
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing

The beauty of Soppy author Philippa Rice's Sister BFFs lies in its near-universal appeal. The dynamic between the illustrated Rice and her sister worked for this reader — a not-quite-only child with only one same-generation sibling — as a reflection of the BFF relationships I maintain. Although I highly recommend this book as a co-read for close siblings, Sister BFFs is as much an exploration of friendship as of kinship.

Some Goodreads reviewers have taken issue with the "immaturity" of the real-

Jocelyn
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I only have 1 sister, but most of the scenarios presented in this graphic novel are so true - at least for me. From arguing, being stubborn, sharing secrets, helping each other, and other sisterly things, I can definitely say that those who have sisters can see themselves in at least a few of the scenes here. The artwork looks rough at first, but it'll grow on you and eventually start focusing on the dialogues.

I'm waiting for this to be released, so that I can give this to my sister. I bet she'
Elizabeth
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sisters BFFs is the perfect gift for any close pair of sisters. While reading it, I kept sending my sister pictures of it, because it illustrated our relationship so well. The comics in Sisters BFFs are all slice of life, sometimes showing text messages between the sisters, or showing them hanging out at home or going out in public. These comics perfectly illustrate what it's like to have a close sibling, one who you can go from hating one minute to sending memes to the next. I loved this book a ...more
Ms. Kelly
While my experiences with my 2 older sisters was nothing like this, I recognize *their* relationship in this, and I *died* laughing!

Highlighting the dysfunctional functionality of sisters that have grown up together, probably lived alone for a while in college, yet are back living home with mom and dad - a situation many 20 somethings find themselves in nowadays, this is a very silly, poignant, funny little book.

----
THANK YOU TO NETGALLEY FOR PROVIDING A FREE DIGITAL ADVANCE READERS COPY OF THIS
Max Loh
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and I couldn't hold in some of my giggles while reading this in the library. From some of the other reviews I've read here, I see that most are in disbelief that the characters are 20-something year old sisters, but I guess when it comes to comics, sometimes it's about filtering and magnifying the more extreme aspects of one's personality on the page. This didn't detract from my enjoyment of the comic but in fact magnified it. A nice, quick, silly read for a relaxing ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Emotions Explained with Buff Dudes: Owlturd Comix
  • Sharky Malarkey: A Sketchshark Collection
  • Us
  • Rx
  • Just Peachy: Comics About Depression, Anxiety, Love, and Finding the Humor in Being Sad
  • Écumes
  • I Moved to Los Angeles to Work in Animation
  • The Book of Onions: Comics to Make You Cry Laughing and Cry Crying
  • Woman World
  • Goldilocks and the Infinite Bears: A Pie Comics Collection
  • Be Everything at Once: Tales of a Cartoonist Lady Person (Cartoon Comic Strip Book, Immigrant Story, Humorous Graphic Novel)
  • Girl Town
  • Hobo Mom
Philippa Rice is an artist who works in a number of different mediums including comics, illustration, animation, model making and crochet.

Her works include the collage based webcomic, My Cardboard Life, and her auto-biographical comics, Soppy.

Philippa grew up in London and now she lives in Nottingham with illustrator Luke Pearson.

News & Interviews