Start by marking “Claw the System: Poems from the Cat Uprising” as Want to Read:
Claw the System: Poems from the Cat Uprising

Claw the System: Poems from the Cat Uprising

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of I Could Pee on This, Francesco Marciuliano, comes a lesson from cats in resistance.

Cats are done with humans' crap. For too long they have put up with baby talk, the humiliation of holiday costumes, and the social injustice of being told, "No." They will not sleep through this anymore. We humans have woken the beast, and in
Published October 16th 2018 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Claw the System, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claw the System

karen
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
They can only say "No!"
So many times
Before they realize
You already swallowed
and threw it up

you have to be in a pretty determined sulk to not be amused by poems written by cats. fortunately, i am a very determined girl. i mean, i used to be amused by poems written by cats, and even some written by dogs, judging by my giggle-reviews for marciuliano's previous books:

I Could Pee on This: And Other Poems by Cats (5 stars)

I Could Pee on This, Too: And More Poems by More Cats (4 stars)

I Could Chew on T
Paul Falk
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
The author constructed some humorous lines addressed to our beloved feline friends. They were accompanied by countless fun, still images. Numerous pictures displayed the star of the show in deep, ponderous meditation (as they usually are), while others showed them performing like an acrobat, acting like a clown.

Unlock and discover the thoughts and wisdom of our feline friends as told from a fellow human. In reality, after what I’ve read, maybe he's half cat. Everything I thought I knew about ou
Juli
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who has a cat knows that felines are plotting to take over the world. They have already enslaved much of humanity....it's only a matter of time. Every cat lover knows this is true.....but we all continue to love and adore our kitties. :) It's all a part of their insidious plan.

Claw the System is a collection of photos of cats and poetry expressing their disenchantment with humans and their habits, foibles and just existence in general (other than filling their food dishes and pats when o
Sarah Theis
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hilarious and accurate and great for any cat lover.... or cat who has taught themselves to read! 👀🤣
Literary Soirée
Claw the System: Poems from the Cat Uprising by Francesco Marciuliano is a hoot ... or should I say a meow? I would expect no less from the #1 New York Times bestselling author of I Could Pee on This.

Claw the System had me ROTFLOL with such loud guffaws that my kitty Gracie raised her sleepy head and said, WTH? In this newest feline tome, we find cats are done with humans' craziness, the baby talk, the humiliation of holiday costumes, and the infuriating social injustice of being told, "No."

Oh,
Cheri
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, cats, arc, poetry, pets, 2018
Don’t Explain Yourself

“Don’t waste your breath explaining yourself
To people determined you go unheard
Don’t make it your goal to convince a person
Committed to dismiss your every word
If someone refuses to understand you
Don’t wait until they do
Instead go and prove you were right
That a tray of mac and cheese can
be a meal and a bed, too”

Essentially, this is a sort of “Mission Statement” written in poems by cats – well, with the help of the author, but you get the sense that he knows precisely wh
Faith
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, netgalley
Maybe my expectations were too high for this book, because I thought that "I Could Pee on This" and "I Could Pee on This, Too" were both very funny. Unfortunately, the best I can say about this book is that a few of the poems are mildly amusing. Some of them weren't even cat-centric at all (or not until a kicker at the end). The photos were beautiful though. I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.
Sue Em
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you loved I Could Pee On This, don't miss this new book of feline-voiced poetry. Claw The System tells of the feline revolt. Anyone who has ever lived with a cat will recognize their refusal to submit, and defiantly resist all attempts to control them. Besides the humorous verses, the book is full of wonderful cat pictures. Will bring a chuckle to any cat lover.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for an advanced readers copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Cindy
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-netgalley, 2018
As a cat lover, I was happy to get approved for this book! It was a fun read filled with many pictures of beautiful cats. So many of the poems could have been written by my own fur baby, Gregory!

This was the first book I've read by the author but now I must go read the others. This was a quick, entertaining read perfect for all cat people! 😸

* I was provided an ARC to read from the publisher and NetGalley. It was my decision to read and review this book.
Diane Hernandez
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Claw the System: Poems from the Cat Uprising is a short book filled with luscious cat photos and poems written by extremely upset cats.

Cats have a four stage plan for their uprising: recognize, resist, revolt and rebuild. Each stage has a chapter filled with at least ten poems and an equal amount of cat photos. Most of the photos relate directly to their neighboring poem. The photos are, of course, cute. The poems have the snarky feeling that I get off my cats right after I have fed them.

Claw th
Hannah
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute & funny, as usual. 😝
Tonstant Weader
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Claw the System is a collection of poems illustrated by photos of cats. But it is so much more. To give you an idea. I was reading a poem called Pancakes that perfectly captured a conversation on Facebook earlier that day about how anti-blackness was so pervasive shelters struggle to place black dogs and cats. It was late and I was in bed reading before going to sleep, but that poem was so perfect, I crawled out of bed and posted it to the woman who brought up the shelter discussion. That’s the ...more
Stephanie
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
*thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the digital review copy!*

When I saw that netgalley had this book available for downloading, I immediately got my phone out and downloaded this book onto my phone. From there I spent the next break plus a few bus rides giggling as I read these angry cat poems. The righteous feline anger is truly on point, and there were lines that not only made me laugh out loud, but upon arriving home, I shared a few of the funnier poems with my girlfriend, and near
Kirsti
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this! (*Note, this is available for download with application on Netgalley atm, just a head's up if you want to read it!)

I've read a few of the author's other books over the years, and they are always cute, funny and follow a set pattern. This one is much the same, and highly relatable if you share your life with a feline. Even as I'm typing this I have one cat sitting to my right demanding breakfast if I make eye contact (and his b
Gianna
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

The cat lover's dream poetry collection, Claw The System is a series of poems as seen through the eyes of our beloved feline companions. Hilarious, smart and at times moving, these were poems you will relate with if you're a cat owner (or a cat that can read, disguised as a human)! Perfect, amusing work from Francesco Merciuliano, this is definitely recommended for people who adore kitties.
January Gray
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for all cat lovers! I love these books. There is a lot of honesty in these poems! Ha, ha! If you want to know what your cats are thinking, this is it!
Rogene Carter
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A hilarious and, often, philosophical look at the world and the felines that inhabit it. I was particularly impressed with the merging of photography and text.
Nathan Albright
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge-2018
This book disturbed me, and I found that somewhat disconcerting given the author's work on cat poetry.  To be sure, after having read five previous works by the author [1], one has an idea that the author likes using animals as a way of presenting human beings with a mirror on ourselves and our own conduct.  Yet rarely has this been as unpleasant a mirror as it is here, where the author imagines cats fed up by human incompetence and determined to wrest power in a violent revolution that uses onl ...more
Jill
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
The cats aren’t going to take it anymore. Not the videos of them riding the Roomba. Not the photos of the “cute” hats that you put on the internet. Not the silly baby talk or the way you answer their pleas with a spoken “meow.” They are preparing for an uprising, and Claw the System is their manifesto.

Packed with more cat poems from the man who brought us I Could Pee on This and You Need More Sleep: Advice from Cats, Claw the System is the logical follow-up and the beginning of the revolution.
Bunny
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-18, netgalley
I don't need a person in my life
To live my life
I would like it if it happened
I would love it if it were you
But if you're the type of person
Who needs to constantly be told
How grateful I am for you
Then you should get a dog
That you can then walk
far away from me

When did my cats write a book?

Seriously, I think my cats in particular wrote this book.

I love this even more than I Could Pee on This: And Other Poems by Cats. Those poems were just hysterical. These are actually...did the author mean to m
Book
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Any time you want to laugh out loud or find yourself chuckling pick up one of Francesco Marciuliano’s books of feline observations and thoughts. Beginning with I Could Pee on This, Mr. Marciuliano’s uncanny ability to capture the feline voice that produces amusing perspectives on human/cat relationships is unmatched.

Any of Mr. Marciuliano’s books (especially those written by cats) make great gifts – recipients always call to thank you for the laughter and lightness. And I can tell you, from pers
Gwnhwyfer
I'll be on your lap
When you're late for your wedding
Or court hearing
Or organ transplant
Or as a PA system is blaring
That the aliens have breached the perimeter
After having already taken London and New York
...
Because the first step of not being overlooked
Is to make sure you can never be ignored.

- "I'll be there" (p. 58)

Claw the system: poems from the cat uprising by Francesco Marciuliano is a diverse collection of poems and images that support the "Feline Revolution". Including such notable anthem
Becky
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I really enjoyed Francesco Marciuliano's book, I Could Pee on This, so I was excited to check this one out! Who doesn't want to read a book of poems "written" by a cat?
These poems weren't as carefree and light as the ones in, I Could Pee on This. They seemed super relevant to the world we now live in. Each on filled with a message for today's world. I would start a poem and think, "wow...this is so true for today's unfortunate times..." but then the poem would turn into the cat related.
This bo
Amanda
Shelves: arcs
I received a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed I Could Pee On This: And Other Poems by Cats by the same author, and thought I’d give this one a try.

Being “owned” by two cats of my own, I definitely got a few giggles out of this book. The author has a knack at caching the aloofness and overall jerk-like tendancies of a cat, while also sprinkling in the love and personality that all cat owners know and love in their felines.

My favorite poems were the followi
Erin
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was exactly what I wanted from it. The chuckles were frequent and the read was quick. As a cat "owner" I have had more than one of these situations happen on a daily basis and the cat poetry was absolutely enjoyable. The only issue I have with the book is the formatting. In the digital copy I received, there were many blank pages just sprinkled throughout in what seemed to be random places. While it did not take away from the book, it did leave me wasting time scrolling.

Overall, I enj
Katrina
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Although slightly more socially and politically aware than previous titles in the series, Claw the System doesn't stray too far outside of its territory, or go off tone at any point. This kitty call to arms is highly likely to bring more than a few smiles to the faces of cat owners or any animal lover out there, The pictures are adorable and chuckle-worthy to look at, the verse is as humorous as ever.

I liked it a lot.

This was an ARC in exchange for an honest review. With thanks to Netgalley and
Karen
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, animals
I've seen some of the author's earlier work at my vet clinic, but hadn't gotten a chance to do more than flip through while I waited. This book of mostly cat-based poetry is a quick read. The photos are beautiful. The poems are somewhat amusing, though I expected them to be more so. There were a few gems, but overall, the writing just wasn't my cup of tea. I also don't think I need to be concerned about any uprising from my two spoiled boys. They seem pretty content. :-)

Susan
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Thanks to Netgalley for an advance copy of this book, which is in a wonderful series.

This volume is not as strong as others. The first is such a funny book. The author most likely has had cats actually dictate these poems. How else could they be so perfectly feline? 😉😉 However, the poems seem to be losing the humorous bite over the series. I recommend the book, though it is not as strong as others. People who have cats will continue to recognize in the poems their own recalcitrant feline compani
R.B.
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, cats, netgalley
I'm new to this author and unfamiliar to his work, but as a cat person I was intrigued by this book. So when I saw it available on NetGalley I decided to try.

I didn't realize this was a collection of humorous poetry. Some situations were relatable, and I'll always find cats pretty and funny, but most of the stories weren't so funny to me. I'll probably still recommend it for cat lovers due to the numerous beautiful cat pictures present that more than make up for the not so funny shorts (even if
Angela Holtz
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
**Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to review this book!**

This next book is Claw the System: Poems from the Cat Uprising by Francesco Marciuliano. Another book of cat poems. I don't know who was more tickled, me or Ivan. He adores cats, I think the poems are funny, and we both enjoy reading them together.

I'm not sure how to really review poems. I like the book, some of the poems make me laugh and the photographs are gorgeous!

If you liked "I could Pee on This" or "I Could Pee on This, Too!" you
« previous 1 3 next »
Francesco Marciuliano...
Pens the comic strips Sally Forth and Medium Large.
Has written for the Onion News Network, Smosh, McSweeney’s, and had a play produced at the New York International Fringe Festival.
Served as head writer for the PBS series SeeMore's Playhouse (for which his script won two regional Emmys).
Was afraid of the color yellow until about age nine.
Tans a little too well to be tru