Start by marking “Time for Bed, Miyuki” as Want to Read:
Time for Bed, Miyuki

Time for Bed, Miyuki

(Miyuki)

Like children everywhere, Miyuki's imagination peaks at bedtime, when she remembers all the things she has to do before she can possibly go to bed: she needs to water the vegetables, gather snails, and prepare for the arrival of the Dragonfly Queen. Her patient grandfather follows along on her adventures, gently encouraging her to go to sleep. In this beautiful story about ...more
Hardcover
Published September 18th 2018 by Princeton Architectural Press

To ask other readers questions about Time for Bed, Miyuki, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time for Bed, Miyuki

Jane
LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! Time for Bed, Miyuki just jumped to the top spot on my list of best picture books of the year. The story is lovely and the illustrations by Seng Soun Ratanavanh are just beautiful.

There's no deep lesson here, just a sweet, sweet story about a little girl, Miyuki, whose grandfather would very much like her to accept that it is bedtime. Miyuki, though, has far too many things she still needs to do before she could possibly think about going to bed.

Her grandfather gamely helps
Mrs. Europaea
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely and whimsical bedtime tale for children!

This charming story follows Miyuki on a seemingly never-ending journey of completing important tasks before it is lights out. Anyone that has ever tried to put wee ones to bed can relate to the levels of procrastination Miyuki achieves in this delightfully lighthearted story. The illustrations are beautifully detailed and sure to capture the attention of a variety of age ranges.
Etienne
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A bedtime routine book with a Japanese poetic touch in the story and in the illustrations style. An unique, original and well done book!
Donna Maguire
This is an absolutely gorgeous book with brilliant illustrations to engage you and pull you into this charming story. My daughter fights her sleep so this book is perfect for her, she loves having books read to her and I can see this being a firm favourite. 5 stars
Jeimy
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Remember those days when you did not want to go to bed and made up excuses to delay bedtime? Well, Miyuki’s excuses are more whimsical than mine ever were! This book was a joy to read and the illustrations were a true visual treat!
Melissa Pierce
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, children-s
*I received a free, advanced copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I thought this was a very cute story and the pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I read this to my 8 year old brother, after reading it myself, and he liked how nice the grandfather was and he adored the pictures. I thinks children will absolutely love this and it will be a great bedtime story.
Christine
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, picture-books
So dreamy and beautiful
Lolly K Dandeneau
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
via my blog: https://bookstalkerblog.wordpress.com/
“Miyuki, it’s time for bed.”

“But, Grandfather, I must water my vegetables.” “All right,

Miyuki,” Grandfather sighed.

“Water your vegetables, and then it’s time for bed.”

Miyuki may well be creating a Canopy for the Queen but she is the Queen of Stalling. This beautifully illustrated children’s bedtime book is a French import with Japanese culture as its theme. Having lived in Japan, it’s imagery is a reminder of the years my family and I spent ther
Gianna
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing

The sun is setting, and grandpa says it's time for bed. But Miyuki has a lot of things to do before she sleeps! And so starts a small adventure with all the things this little girl has to do before she goes to bed.

Time for Bed, Miyuki is a sweet and short bedtime story, accompanied by incredible illustrations and vibrant colors. The narration is calm and fairy tale-like, making this a very good be
Cherry (_forevermint)
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, for-work
The illustrations are gorgeous. And Miyuki's grandfather is a saint lol.
Luna
"Grandfather," she whispered. "We forgot to do something very important..."
"I know, Miyuki, I have not forgotten.
I will tell you a story."
Grandfather opened a book and began to read...

Beautiful, magical. Just stunning.

There isn’t much else I can think of to say. The art is just so enthralling. Colourful and stunning. You’re transported into this magical place of wonder. Each page pulls you further into this world as Miyuki delays her bedtime with tasks that are essential prior to sleep. Tasks h
Jera Em
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very relaxing and charming read. I loved the dreamy quality of the pictures and the story was excellent as well. "Miyuki is busy playing and trying to push back time." I thought that line in particular captured things very well.
Afoma Umesi
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Princeton Architectural Press for such a whimsical experience. Truly, dreamy illustrations of a little girl who just does not want to go to bed. Loved this one.
Rachael Rennard
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley but all opinions are entirely my own!

This is a delightful picture book! It's the story of a little girl named Miyuki who doesn't want to go to bed until she has finished her long list of things she needs to do. It's a pretty universal theme, but is made even more special for a few reasons. First of all, her grandfather is by her side helping her accomplish all of the tasks she needs to do. Secondly, the tasks are whimsical - she's doing things
Laura (Book Scrounger)
Time for Bed, Miyuki is a charming, fantastical story of a girl who doesn't want to go to bed. While that is not an unusual theme for children's literature, this story stands out by its use of amusing fantasy elements (such as a family of giant snails, and creative use of character sizes), as well as the celebration of certain aspects of Japanese culture.

I love the colors in the illustrations, and the way that fantasy is incorporated into reality -- I think it strikes a good balance. Miyuki's gr
Annie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Time for Bed, Miyuki is a lovely book aimed at younger children (and their caregivers). I was enchanted from page one. The story is familiar to everyone who has ever interacted with a young child. ... "Just one more thing before bed"! Luckily Miyuki's grandfather is the epitome of patience.

There is a concept called 'iterative contextual repetition' (or similar formulations), which basically says that the human brain learns by hearing and repeatin
Elliott
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is the old adage, "You can't judge a book by its cover," but I fell in love with Time for Bed, Miyuki as soon as I saw Seng Soun Ratanavah's cover art. Her glorious illustration made me pick up this book to look at it and I was not disappointed.

"With a rain of gold on silver hills, the sun offers its last light before leaving for the night. The nightingale prepares her nest. Ants gather their provisions. And the toad jumps into a bucket. As the sun slowly hides to watch the moon rise, the
Tahlia
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review published on: https://museofnyxmares.wordpress.com/...

*I was provided with an ARC of this book through Netgalley, in exchange for my honest opinion.

This was such a charming little book! Being a children’s book it was very short, but I enjoyed every second of it. Every child loves repetition in a book and I loved how the list gradually grew of all the things that Miyuki needed to do before bed. The whole time I was reading it, I could just imagine how great it would sound being read aloud
Leslie
I find the illustrations lovely enough on their own to return to, but the text is also compelling. The alliterative s’s and sonorant n’s and the gentle commotion as the “toad jumps into a bucket” before the opening paragraph ends with a resolute “rest” (drawing our mind back to a rhyming partner “nest”). Also, there is promise to a story when the author uses words like “provision” at the outset.

Miyuki has things to do before she can possibly go to bed, and her patient grandfather is there to hel
Becky B
Grandfather is trying to get Miyuki to bed, but she keeps thinking of very important things that must be done before she can sleep.

I think the artwork for this can be somewhat described as an Asian-influenced art deco wonderland. It is magical and whimsical. The artwork definitely is a huge part of the allure to the story. The imaginativeness of the tasks that Miyuki comes up with that need to be done also get perks. I can totally see a child thoroughly wrapped up in their play world insisting t
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Time for Bed, Miyuki by Roxane Marie Galliez, illustrated by Send Soun Ratanavanh. PICTURE BOOK. Princeton Architectural Press, 2018. $18. 9781616897055

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL.

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

As night begins, Grandfather is looking for Miyuki in the garden. The illustrations show a small Miyuki in the planters and on the vegetables. Miyuki explains that she can’t go to bed until she does one more thing, only to find another thing she must do. These tasks include helping the sn
Theediscerning
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very commendable and clever fantasia for the young that refuse to fall asleep at the right time, starring a girl who certainly seems to have that down pat. Here, however, her world is all concerned with shepherding snails, preparing bowers for dragonfly queens, and making herself look the best in case stars visit from the heavens. Well, it certainly beats the 'just one more life' demand of a young gamer. Her unique situation is represented in a really lovely way by the artist, using patterning ...more
Ash
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Time for Bed, Miyuki" is such a poetic and beautifully illustrated bedtime story. Although the length of the text is a bit longer than that of a typical children's book, that should not make you stray away from the story. A child will be completely captivated by the art and the images the writing creates in your mind.

We follow Miyuki and her sweet and patient grandfather on their adventure to complete Miyuki's tasks before she goes to sleep. This bedtime story is unlike any I have come by, cre
Amanda
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Received an early edition through Net Galley.
Beautiful and lyrical, we follow Miyuki and her patient, loving grandfather through a series of tasks before Miyuki can be ready for bed. A step out of the ordinary and humdrum books with similar topics, we get tasks of preparing for dragonfly queens and aligning snails for the night. A calm and gentle book for bed time with wonderful POC representation.
Julia
I just found this on the shelf while looking for something else.
How on earth did I miss this when it came out?

What GORGEOUS illustrations!!

Oh, I love it. This'll be a great - longer! - alternative to ending my evening all-ages storytime...
I usually use either Goodnight Moon (Brown), Counting Ovejas (Weeks), or I Just Want To Say Goodnight (Isadora), but this would be great to use if I happen to have an older crowd of 4-7s instead of 0-3s.
Cat
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet bedtime story! Miyuko doesn't want to go to bed yet, there's just too much to do! Her poor Grandfather certainly is indulgent! But he's a grandparent, they are like that! I love the snail hunt to bring all the snails home for the night! Littles will enjoy this story. The illustrations are wonderful and whimsical. I can't wait to see the book as I am sure with color illustrations it will be beautiful!
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
A story that embraces imagination, patience, family, love of nature, and the joy of being young. I loved how dynamic Miyuki's imagination is, how her ideas take root and take the reader on an adventure with her. With darling illustrations that create such a wonderful dreamy world. Kids will love reading this book before bed. A delight!
Deirdre
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
Utterly charming. My three-year-old housemate (who loves books about trucks and trains and tractors i.e. not this kind of book) sat through the whole thing even though I had to translate from English to French, entranced by the illustrations. He even asked 'why is it done now?' when we finished. A sweet, gentle tale bumped right over the top by the gorgeous art.
Rachel
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A young girl can't go to sleep until she completes a series of increasingly whimsical tasks, with the help of her very patient grandfather. The art is gorgeous and the story itself is very sweet, I loved the strange pre-bed activities and the calm, accepting grandfather.

Thank you to Princeton Architectural Press for sending me a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.
Amy
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous! It is truly a visual feast for your eyes with a distinctly Asian feel to the style. And the story is so relatable to both children and adults as a grandfather is trying to convince his little one that it is time for bed. I was truly charmed by this stunning, sweet book.
« previous 1 3 next »