Start by marking “The Color Monster: A Story About Emotions” as Want to Read:
The Color Monster: A Story About Emotions

The Color Monster: A Story About Emotions

The international bestseller that helps young children identify emotions and feel more in control, now available in a classic picture book format.

One day, Color Monster wakes up feeling very confused. His emotions are all over the place; he feels angry, happy, calm, sad and scared all at once! To help him, a little girl shows him what each feeling means through color. As
Published September 4th 2018 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Color Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color Monster

Nancy Kotkin
Text: 1 star
Illustrations: 4 stars

Love the collage-y illustrations of this picture book, but the text has some troubling issues. While it is vital to teach children to identify their emotions, it is just as important to help them understand that it is normal to feel more than one single emotion at a time, even about the same thing/person/idea. furthermore, labeling emotions with specific colors doesn't work as a one-size-fits-all solution, since color is a very personal experience; people feel v
Grace
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Lots of good sight words in this one, she knew recognized blue, red, this, the, like, and, a.
Fran
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Buncha cuteness
Kimberly Luthin
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
2/18/2019
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

Cute, but also weird. I liked the idea of the Color Monster. At the beginning, his emotions are all mixed up and he doesn't know how he feels. Throughout the book, a little girl (who looks remarkably angry at the beginning when she tells him he's all mixed up- seriously, chill out, kid) helps his sort out his feelings.

I found it a little weird that to do this, they literally bottle his feelings. I think that there had to be a better way to represen
A Allen
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love picture books about emotions. This one had a cute and unique ending! However, it bothered me that the child was helping the monster literally bottle their feelings up. I understand the positives of classifying emotions but I just can't get behind the fact that they are literally putting the emotions into bottles. I also didn't like that, when the emotions were described, they were stated as if it is a universal truth and that everyone should act a certain way when feeling that emotion. Fo ...more
Jared White
The Color Monster woke up feeling confused, because they're feeling a whole lot of emotions at once. Color Monster's friend is going to help them sort everything out.

I have mixed feelings about this book...partly because it seems to almost hint that you shouldn't have mixed feelings. But, at the same time, I think it can be helpful to sort through your emotions and, I suppose, it's also hinting at the fact that you're feeling one emotion (anger) because another emotion is at the root of it (bein
Madison
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Monster feels confused at the swirl of colors and emotions inside. He tries to separate his feelings so he can acknowledge and process them. I LOVE the depth to the art and the collage feel. I like the idea of identifying emotions and learning to accept and label. However emotions are hard to color code and at times do mix together. A good attempt at starting a conversation on emotions, but not something to read and take as gospel truth.
Brandi Kutz
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Color Monster is a story about emotions. One day, color monster is confused. He is filled with different colored scribbles and he doesn't understand why. Luckily, Monster has a friend that knows just what to do: she helps him sort through the colors and tells him what each color means. However, there seems to be a new color creeping up, what color does this mean?
Selena Brown
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
genre: Fantasy
unique feature: The illustrations in this book are very "child-like" and the main character (the monster) even looks like it was drawn by a child. I think they would be very inviting and relatable for young children.
grades: k-1
date completed: 1/20/2019
Pam
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A pop-up book.
A little girl helps a monster separate and sort out his feelings. Each color represents a different emotion. They put them in color jars until only one emotion is left. The reader has to decide what that emotion is (love).
Carolyn Stover
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Loved the illustrations. Helps children deal with their emotions.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A perfect way to represent feelings using colors and how it is OK to express them. Would be a great book for storytime!
Miss Sarah
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A young girl helps a monster sort his emotions according to their colors. Cute and nice way to help learn about different emotions. Preschool and up
Sheyla
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
My kids like it, however they were expecting a better ending.
Amanda Walz
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful book describing different feelings.
Cara Byrne
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book tells the reader more about cultural connotations of colors as they relate to feelings/emotions than teaches about emotions. I also really wish black was not categorized as "fear."
Michael Rank
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: monsters, mindfulness
I don't know how to feel about this book. It has good intentions but it's literally telling kids to bottle up their emotions and keep them separated. It does have fun illustrations, so there's that.
Villain E
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A book about associating colors with emotions for emotional awareness. I feel like I've read this concept before.
Kelly
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a book about emotions and the various colors that represent them. It is a simple book and the story is told well.
Kate
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kids can have a hard time identifying and understanding their many emotions.This book does a great job of teaching them this. By showing them what emotions they feel and what they look like. Thus making them feel more in control of themselves. With the use of colors and wonderfuly unique illustrations I'm so glad we got to read this one. Thank you to the publisher for sending it to us!
There are other books with the color monster that I will definitely be looking into now.

For more of my book con
Sep 13, 2018
Tricia
Sep 29, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Anna Llenas es licenciada en Publicidad y Relaciones Públicas por la Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona y graduada en Diseño Gráfico por la Escuela Llotja. También tiene formación en Psicología Analítica y un postgrado en Arteterapia. Pasó los primeros años trabajando como diseñadora y directora de arte en las agencias Bassat Ogilvy & Mather y Publicis Casadevall & Pedreño. Pero un día, dec ...more