Start by marking “Crush” as Want to Read:
Crush

Crush

(Awkward #3)

Following the overwhelming success of AWKWARD and BRAVE, Svetlana Chmakova's award winning Berrybrook Middle School series continues with its next installment - CRUSH!
Jorge seems to have it all together. He's big enough that nobody really messes with him, but he's also a genuinely sweet guy with a solid, reliable group of friends. The only time he ever really feels off his
Published October 30th 2018 by JY

PattyMacDotComma
3.5★
“If you can’t use your sports skills to win and have to resort to verbal abuse and insults on my field, GET OFF MY FIELD!”

Middle school is hard. Being a new teenager is hard. But this is easy. An easy-to-read, easy-to-understand graphic novel that covers a lot of issues. Boys, girls, non-binary (one mention); extroverts and shy kids; sports jocks and bookish nerds; big guys and little kids; popular kids and loners; pale, medium, dark kids; blondes, brunettes, redheads, headscarf.

And names f
Jacob Proffitt
This is third in a series that is only very lightly related. None of them rely on any of the others so they can easily be read in any order. I do highly recommend reading them all, in whatever order you choose.

Chmakova knocked this one out of the park, too. Which is no surprise. Again, the characters fairly leap off the page and the story is so well-told that it takes you back to those middle school years and the rapid-fire changes and drama and pain and joy inherent in them. As with any great s
Jen
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I SO needed this as a palate cleanse after the last two horrific 1 star graphic novels I just read.

This book is cute and sweet and everything I needed right now. I read the teaser handed out at ALA Annual 2018 and knew that I had to get my hands on the entire thing. I was right, it was so awesome! I didn't realize this was the third in a series, so now I have two other books to look forward to, yay!!

This is a contemporary story from the POV of Jorge, a large middle schooler with two BFFs, Olivi
Having a crush is so hard, and is is doubly hard for Jorge, especially since the girl he has the crush on has a boyfriend.

We "met" Jorge in earlier books in this series, but it is not necessary to read the other books, as each of them are self contained. Awkward and Brave build on each other, but you can pick any of the three books up and have a wonderful time seeing the drama that is middle school.

There are the mean boys, rather than mean girls, in this story, which is a refreshing change. But
Heather Taake
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite in the series so far. I heart Jorge!
Skirmish
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-comics
Book Reaction: https://nildivision.blogspot.com/2018...
Rating: 5 Stars - absolutely perfect
Melissa McShane
I ordered this months ago and then forgot about it until I got the notice that it had shipped. Though I love all of Svetlana Chmakova's work, my interest pales beside that of my daughter, whose mild reading disability translates to her being more comfortable with audiobooks and graphic novels. So I left it on her computer and texted her at work to say she had a surprise...and her reaction was gratifying.

This series is brilliant in how it captures the middle school experience. When I read Awkward
steph
I love this series and want to gift it to every kid I know starting/in middle school. /end review

No but seriously. I love the story lines, the artwork is SUPERB. I just really love Chmakova's illustrations and the way each panel just goes with each other. She says so much without saying a word (case in the point the cover in which everyone is faded out except Jorge staring at his crush. How true to life is that?!?!?!). I still think Brave is my favorite of this series so far (I just love Jensen
Yasmeena
Jul 12, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
GUYS

I WISHED IN Brave TO SEE JORGE MORE

NOW LOOK AT THIS ART

Tammy
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars This story involves more than just a "crush", but is about friendships in general while in middle school.
Josephine
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series so much :o if there is a fourth book i can't wait :D
Amy
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars ****

I don't feel that I could ever give a negative rating to a graphic novel because I always think of how much work they must be to create. I also enjoy reading them so much because they're fast and easy reads.
This graphic novel "Crush" is about middle school children so I do feel like I'm too old for it but I still related in a reminiscent way. Jorge is the main character and obviously has a crush on a girl. The story is about him dealing with his fear of talking to girls and also dea
Surina
*in nasally little kid voice* Ooohh, someone's got a crush.

Let's just add immature to my list of amazing qualities, shall we?
Samriddhi
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book on how it relates to kids my age. It also shows how caught up we are in today's world, like all the drama and nonsense that we forget what the purpose of life is. This didn't take me that long to finish. I finished it like in 2 hours and it was very fun to see the main character to evolve during the story. I think this is a really great book for kids in middle school to relate to and I really recommend it.
Irene
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
Even though I haven’t read the author before, I liked it her style. It's a light reading, the illustrations are so cute and I loved Jorge.

The characters are diverse, and THE FEMALE CHARACTERS!!!, all the girls are strong and independent. I liked the messages that are given in the story. It’s a graphic novel that I would recommend to teenagers.

The only thing that I didn’t like was the issue with James at the end, that took away points from the story. Overall, an entertaining and recommended story
Emilie Emzbooksandco
This comic was so cute and perfect!
The drawings were beautiful, the story way too cute, and I smiled way too much while reading it. Loved it and definitely going to read the previous ones!
Amanda
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really adored this. Jorge is a great character, one I think a lot of kids will identify with. Once again Chmakova makes all the tumult and chaos of middle school into a narrative that is real, funny and super emotional.
The parts about consent and body autonomy are A+ and exactly how we should be talking to kids about these issues in middle school.
But the parts of Jorge being an awkward and confused middle schooler while staying true to himself are A+++++++
Highly, highly recommend.
Taylor Ramirez
Logan Johnson
I had read Awkward and Brave before, but neither of those were anything like Crush, except maybe the fact that all of them were written and illustrated by the same author. This book was a great read and I loved it. Before reading it, some of my fellow classmates who read it before me said "Be a Jorge not a James," and I didn't get that until I read the book. I now understand what they mean.
Dylan
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book. I love it because it kind of relates to my life. You know, friends leave me to go hang out with the "Cool kids. And don't think about what their doing until they do something wrong and they get in trouble because of it. I highly recommend this book for people who love graphic novel/ romance.
Brierley
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m a fan of Awkward and Brave, but Crush is now my favorite of the Berrybrook Middle School books! I adored this honest portrayal of crushing in middle school complete with awkwardness and flaws. Jorge is a reluctant crusher, which speaks to the fact that we can’t always control who we crush on. Chmakova’s illustrations accurately capture the myriad of emotions experienced by these relatable characters. Olivia, Garrett, and Jorge are quite a trio. Favorite quote from Olivia, “I mean, loyalty! L ...more
Latanya (CraftyScribbles)
Cute preview for a comic based on middle-schoolers and their struggles. Jorge's a big kid. Big where they believe he's a fighter, but a girl he knows inspires a crush. Maybe he's a lover?

Pop Bop
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
O.K., I Get It Now

This is the third book in the "Berrybrook Middle School" series, after "Awkward" and "Brave". I wasn't familiar with those books, but looked at some of their reviews and blurbs before reading "Crush". The reviews are wildly favorable, (there are hundreds just on the Amazon site), and the fans are pretty intense. "Awkward" has over 19,000 ratings and almost 1,500 reviews on Goodreads, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a book with that many ratings that averaged over four stars. So
Ms. Yingling
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E ARC from Netgalley

Jorge struggles with his role in the school. He is an athlete, but doesn't much care for the way the other members of his team act. He has a huge crush on Jazmine, and asks her to the big athletic ball, but struggles with how to talk to her on a daily basis. There's lots of boy/girl drama at school, with people breaking up and getting back together, and Jorge doesn't want to be part of that. He enjoys working with the newspaper on the sports beat, and has a good friend in Liv
Ryan
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had to finally cue this title up. Ever since purchasing the first two for my school library neither one sits on the shelf and is in constant rotation. This series is a quiet sleeper among a community of readers. They have been begging for Crush so I thought I’d check this quiet hit out. I am so glad I did as this book was brilliant and one can easily see the appeal to younger humans.

You fall for Jorge right away. He is confident, kind and asks all the right questions as he navigates middle sc
Tena Edlin
I love this series of graphic novels, and this newest addition to the collection is no exception. The only thing that prevented it from being 5 stars for me is that in an effort to include every “group” of people in the book, the author went a little over the top for me with her minor characters. I appreciate the intention, but it just felt a little contrived. Everything else felt very believable, and I love the messages of acceptance, decency, and kindness. Jorge could be my favorite character ...more
Nadine
This is probably the best of the 3 books - it is so spot on about young teen relationships and crushes and the dynamics of popularity and pecking order.
The protagonist Jorge is a sweetheart with all the right values.
Some excellent exposition on gender, consent etc. as well done very sensitively without being preachy.
Absolute winner.
Jenna
Very well done as usual, and never feels limited to just the discussion of crushes. Instead we get a whole slew of topics, from bullying to relationships, standing up for your friends, dealing with trolling/trash talk, among other ones.

I have to say though, Liv completely stole the show for me with her character, what she deals with, and her positivity.

Hopefully I have this book checked out long enough to book talk it for Winter Reading.

I wonder what Svetlana’s planning next!
Jennifer Mangler
I have really enjoyed Chmakova's Awkward series. She really captures the essence of middle school. Crush is my favorite so far, and it's all because of Jorge. Man, I love him! How could I not love a character who lives by the principle "Strength is a resource. If you have a lot and someone doesn't, you gotta share yours."? He isn't just kind in his interactions with others. He actively spends his days looking out for the weaker kids. We all could stand to be a lot more like Jorge.
Kristin
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This middle school graphic novel is much deeper than a crush. Topics of peer pressure, bullying, and respect are also woven into the plot. I really love this collection of stories and hope Chmakova keeps creating them.
Goodreads Librari...: please add number of pages 3 10 Sep 26, 2018 03:00PM
Svetlana Chmakova (Russian: Светлана Шмакова) (born 1979 in Russia) is a comic creator. She is best known for Dramacon, an original English-language (OEL) manga spanning three volumes and published in North America by Tokyopop. Her other work includes the 2-page The Adventures of CG for CosmoGIRL! magazine and the webcomic Chasing Rainbows for Girlamatic. Though born in Russia, she immigrated to C ...more

Awkward (3 books)
  • Awkward (Awkward, #1)
  • Brave (Awkward, #2)
“Strength is a resource. If you have a lot and someone doesn't, you gotta share yours.” 1 likes