Start by marking “Crush (Berrybrook Middle School, #3)” as Want to Read:
Crush (Berrybrook Middle School, #3)

Crush

(Berrybrook Middle School #3)

Following the overwhelming success of AWKWARD and BRAVE, Svetlana Chmakova's award winning Berrybrook Middle School series continues with its next installment - CRUSH!

Jorge seems to have it all together. He's big enough that nobody really messes with him, but he's also a genuinely sweet guy with a solid, reliable group of friends. The only time he ever really feels off his
Published October 30th 2018 by JY

PattyMacDotComma
3.5★
“If you can’t use your sports skills to win and have to resort to verbal abuse and insults on my field, GET OFF MY FIELD!”

Middle school is hard. Being a new teenager is hard. But this is easy. An easy-to-read, easy-to-understand graphic novel that covers a lot of issues. Boys, girls, non-binary (one mention); extroverts and shy kids; sports jocks and bookish nerds; big guys and little kids; popular kids and loners; pale, medium, dark kids; blondes, brunettes, redheads, headscarf.

And names f
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is third in a series that is only very lightly related. None of them rely on any of the others so they can easily be read in any order. I do highly recommend reading them all, in whatever order you choose.

Chmakova knocked this one out of the park, too. Which is no surprise. Again, the characters fairly leap off the page and the story is so well-told that it takes you back to those middle school years and the rapid-fire changes and drama and pain and joy inherent in them. As with any great s
Francina Simone
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Breaking my no star rule for this one:

I absolutely loved this one just like I LOVED the other two (all following deprecate characters and this are standalone novels).

I whizzed through it and I blushed and felt all the cute feels!!

This really feels an awful lot like a middle grade Degrassi!!! The best parts of Degrassi, but for middle school kids so it not not reach the boiling point or go THERE....haha but it definitely hits the spot!
Having a crush is so hard, and is is doubly hard for Jorge, especially since the girl he has the crush on has a boyfriend.

We "met" Jorge in earlier books in this series, but it is not necessary to read the other books, as each of them are self contained. Awkward and Brave build on each other, but you can pick any of the three books up and have a wonderful time seeing the drama that is middle school.

There are the mean boys, rather than mean girls, in this story, which is a refreshing change. But
Kelli
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I just re-read my review of Awkward and many of the same sentiments abound with this, the third in the series. The artwork is outstanding, the charming story is relatable, and had my eleven-year-old not swiped this from me before I read it, I’d have known she would love it.
This is middle school done well. Everything is accounted for: cliques, athletics, clubs, the obligatory school dance, bullies, shy kids, kids longing to be in the it crowd, loyal friends, bad decisions, gossip, drama, and of
Jen
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I SO needed this as a palate cleanse after the last two horrific 1 star graphic novels I just read.

This book is cute and sweet and everything I needed right now. I read the teaser handed out at ALA Annual 2018 and knew that I had to get my hands on the entire thing. I was right, it was so awesome! I didn't realize this was the third in a series, so now I have two other books to look forward to, yay!!

This is a contemporary story from the POV of Jorge, a large middle schooler with two BFFs, Olivi
Melissa McShane
I ordered this months ago and then forgot about it until I got the notice that it had shipped. Though I love all of Svetlana Chmakova's work, my interest pales beside that of my daughter, whose mild reading disability translates to her being more comfortable with audiobooks and graphic novels. So I left it on her computer and texted her at work to say she had a surprise...and her reaction was gratifying.

This series is brilliant in how it captures the middle school experience. When I read Awkward
steph
I love this series and want to gift it to every kid I know starting/in middle school. /end review

No but seriously. I love the story lines, the artwork is SUPERB. I just really love Chmakova's illustrations and the way each panel just goes with each other. She says so much without saying a word (case in the point the cover in which everyone is faded out except Jorge staring at his crush. How true to life is that?!?!?!). I still think Brave is my favorite of this series so far (I just love Jensen
mytaakeonit
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite in the series so far. I heart Jorge!
Morgan
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series is SO great. The books deal with so many issues that kids face without feeling forced or preachy. The characters model good responses even in the face of some bad people and situations. And so much normalized inclusivity! Crush also specifically tackles bodily autonomy and agency, online bullying, and even smacks down some "nice guy" nonsense. And the stories are always cohesive and keep your interest, which isn't too common with a lot of novels about middle school experiences. MORE ...more
Skirmish
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-comics
Book Reaction: https://nildivision.blogspot.com/2018...
Rating: 5 Stars - absolutely perfect
Yasmeena
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
damn that was so cuteeeee 😍🥰🥵

i guess jorge has a more successful love life than i do tho 😂

FULL RTC

~~~~~~~~~~

Whenever I go to some store where there’s books, mostly Target, I pick this up. I’m currently at page 186 and it’s SO CUTE

~~~~~~~~~~

GUYS

I WISHED IN Brave TO SEE JORGE MORE

NOW LOOK AT THIS ART

Chi
Now, this; THIS was what I came here for! (Or read it for? Anyways...)

This was amazing! Jorge has always been a stalwart force. He knows he's taller than most of the other kids his age, so rather than using it to intimidate others to do things for him, he'd rather intimidate bullies, and stop them in their tracks. He finds himself drawn to a girl in the drama club, who he's never had the chance to speak to before, but luckily happened to be friends with Liv, one of three friends in his group of
Bethany Pratt
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very cute and good book, seeing the main character, a tough-looking guy, actually be very soft and has major feelings for a certain girl in his school. No matter how hard he tries, he can never quite form words around this girl. This book definitely captures what it is like to be in a young teenager in middle school and this book always kept me wanting to read more, making me not want to put it down. I would definitely recommend this if you like love stories and graphic nove ...more
Tammy
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars This story involves more than just a "crush", but is about friendships in general while in middle school.
Karly
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I seriously love this series! Awkward, Brave and now Crush are great graphic novels about kids in middle school and their real life struggles.
Andréa
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jorge is such a good male role model. Both masculine and a feminist, strong and respectful... Props to Svetlana Chmakova.
Josephine
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series so much :o if there is a fourth book i can't wait :D
Taylor Ramirez
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Why EVERYONE needs to read this series:

1. It's non-sequential, with each book following a different character. There's no need to read them in order—pick up any book and start there!

2. Each main character is super relatable as they battle the hell hole that is middle school. Each of the three deal with something completely different, but the stories are all tangentially tied together with the idea of finding your people and doing what is right—not necessarily what the popular kids are doing.

3. T
Amy-GallivantingPages
4 Stars ****

I don't feel that I could ever give a negative rating to a graphic novel because I always think of how much work they must be to create. I also enjoy reading them so much because they're fast and easy reads.
This graphic novel "Crush" is about middle school children so I do feel like I'm too old for it but I still related in a reminiscent way. Jorge is the main character and obviously has a crush on a girl. The story is about him dealing with his fear of talking to girls and also dea
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
My favorite quote was the 4th panel on page 86:
"I mean, loyalty! Look it up! And GET you some!"
:D
This is out of context, but just read the book and see for yourself!
Don't forget to look for Mr. Raccoon! :D
Kassidy
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this was very heartwarming and adorable. You would have never expected a big guy like Jorge to be such a softie around his crush. I especially like the part in the book where all 3 girls got a haircut. This book was very cute.
sanchez
*in nasally little kid voice* Ooohh, someone's got a crush.

Let's just add immature to my list of amazing qualities, shall we?
Katie
I loved Jorge in Brave and so glad he got his own book. I smiled so much while reading this one. I love this series :)
Debbie Barr
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I really enjoy this graphic novel series, and I think this one is my favorite! It brought back sooooo many memories from middle school--I felt my crushes with all my heart and soul! And Jorge is such a sweetheart, I loved seeing things from his point of view.
Melissa
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, kids
We need more Jorges in the world!
Samriddhi
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book on how it relates to kids my age. It also shows how caught up we are in today's world, like all the drama and nonsense that we forget what the purpose of life is. This didn't take me that long to finish. I finished it like in 2 hours and it was very fun to see the main character to evolve during the story. I think this is a really great book for kids in middle school to relate to and I really recommend it.
Irene
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
Even though I haven’t read the author before, I liked it her style. It's a light reading, the illustrations are so cute and I loved Jorge.

The characters are diverse, and THE FEMALE CHARACTERS!!!, all the girls are strong and independent. I liked the messages that are given in the story. It’s a graphic novel that I would recommend to teenagers.

The only thing that I didn’t like was the issue with James at the end, that took away points from the story. Overall, an entertaining and recommended story
Emilie Emzbooksandco
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This comic was so cute and perfect!
The drawings were beautiful, the story way too cute, and I smiled way too much while reading it. Loved it and definitely going to read the previous ones!
Spring 2019, Wild...: Alexyss York Review 9 1 3 Apr 19, 2019 06:03PM
Alexyss York Review 9 1 3 Apr 19, 2019 06:02PM
Play Book Tag: Crush by Svetlana Chmakova - 4 stars 3 18 Feb 18, 2019 05:27PM
Goodreads Librari...: please add number of pages 3 11 Sep 26, 2018 03:00PM

• The Cardboard Kingdom
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • All Summer Long
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Razzle Dazzle Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #4)
  • Be Prepared
  • Louis parmi les spectres
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Escape from Syria
  • Mr. Wolf's Class (Mr. Wolf's Class, #1)
  • Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea  (A Narwhal and Jelly, #1)
  • Princeless, Vol. 4: Be Yourself
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade (Hilda, #3)
  • Delilah Dirk and the Pillars of Hercules (Delilah Dirk, #3)
  • Swing it, Sunny
Svetlana Chmakova (Russian: Светлана Шмакова) (born 1979 in Russia) is a comic creator. She is best known for Dramacon, an original English-language (OEL) manga spanning three volumes and published in North America by Tokyopop. Her other work includes the 2-page The Adventures of CG for CosmoGIRL! magazine and the webcomic Chasing Rainbows for Girlamatic. Though born in Russia, she immigrated to C ...more

Berrybrook Middle School (4 books)
  • Awkward (Berrybrook Middle School, #1)
  • Brave (Berrybrook Middle School, #2)
  • Diary (Berrybrook Middle School, #4)
“Strength is a resource. If you have a lot and someone doesn't, you gotta share yours.” 2 likes