Start by marking “She Must Be Mad” as Want to Read:
She Must Be Mad

She Must Be Mad

‘Poetry meets mental health in Charly Cox’s brave and beautiful She Must Be Mad.’ Stylist Magazine

‘Reading this book made me feel less alone.’ Mashable

She Must be Mad explores coming-of-age: the pain and beauty of love, the relief and the agony of turning from girl to woman, the isolation of an untethered mind and the power and subjugation of the body.

Charly captures the/>She
Published July 12th 2018 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about She Must Be Mad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Must Be Mad

Start your review of She Must Be Mad
Jessica
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't read much poetry, and would in no way consider myself knowledgeable enough to rate a collection in terms of how 'good' it is. But what I do know, is that it's very rare that I find a poet I can fully understand, let alone connect with, but I felt both of these things whilst reading this collection.

I wouldn't go as far as to suggest she's 'social media's answer to Carol Ann Duffy', but I think these poems will definitely appeal to many a millennial. Themes of love, mental health, body im
Scarlett Curtis
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING
Igraine
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book as I had heard a lot of praise. However, I was ultimately disappointed with her delivery.

Her rhyming seemed forced, messy, and unneeded. I much preferred her prose and non-rhyming poetry. And I found her voice very sarcastic and negative; not "Funny" as advertised.

Her poetry was vague to the point that it didn’t hit me emotionally as I wanted it to. Her prose, with more exposition and context achieved this to greater effect.

The book is advertised as “
Ylenia
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: to-unhaul, dnf
Dnf @ 90 pages

Couldn’t connect with any of the poems (which says something, since they were all related to beauty, mental health or relationships - topics I like to read about). I appreciated the prose pieces, but the poetry sections were not for me. I didn’t connect with her style.
Megan (ChroniclesOfABookworm)
SHE MUST BE MAD was fun to read and had pretty easy language to follow. Also, the themes are totally fitting for women and girls in today's society. Overall, for a non-poetry reader like me (I mean seriously, I just generally don't understand poetry), 3 stars is pretty darn good!
Amanda Lagerfeld
Sep 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: the-worst
Despite the relatable topics and the easy language I could not get into this book at all. I found it to be a little pretentious and a little boring.
Taking into account her age, and perhaps lack of life experience I feel as though this book was trying to hard to be deep and relatable rather than being deep and relatable.
Also this may be controversial but there is a huge amount of this book dedicated to Cox's body issues. She frequently uses the word "fat" to describe herself. Doing on
Megan Staunton
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An honest, brave and emotional rollercoaster of a book. Charly illustrates her experiences of growing up as a young woman in this turbulent world with wit, humour and a raw sense of vulnerability that leaves you laughing, feeling and shouting THAT’S ME at the pages.
Chanel
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5-ish
Annalise
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Strangely I just didn’t connect with this poetry, despite the themes being relatable.
Diem
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, adult
There are some total standouts which lifts my overall experience of this collection of poems to a 4.
Jessie
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think I’ve ever connected with poetry as much as this before. This poetry collection really tugged at my heartstrings, as well as making me laugh so, so much. So beautiful. Some poems are breezy, some are dark and deep, but all of them are very memorable and impressively well written. Nothing to convoluted, but all intricate in their simplicity. If you want a book to ease you into poetry, I would definitely recommend this one. If you are already a poetry fanatic: how have you not read th ...more
Courtney
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This book of poetry and prose is divided into four parts/themes. However I feel like this is the biggest downfall. While Charly has a great rhythm (unusual in the era of instagram/tumblr poetry) the themes of the imposed four parts appear equally. It just sort of felt clunky but that's really the only fault.

There's a nice use of language. Again, a great sense of rhythm. The themes touched on are very universal for younger women today (and teens even).

Enjoyable.
Lucy Baldock
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
“Nothing drives me more crazy/ Than the breaks of feeling sane.”

There were definitely some poems I connected to more than others. I liked the smaller poems more than the prose pieces. It was good to see poems about weight and self confidence although some of them I think the phrasing could have been chosen a little wiser. Still it was a good topic to bring up.
Grace
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Funnily enough, my favourite bits of this book were the prose parts, rather than the poetry. Charly really has a way with words.
kippen (uponthepages)
Reading Rush 2019 Read!

I actually really enjoyed this. I enjoyed it more than I usually do with modern poetry. 3.5/5 stars
Esmė
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i had to keep putting this down to have a little cry (slightly fuelled by red wine but mostly by relatability)

ilysmcc (i love you so much charly cox)
Daisy
Oct 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
just trash.

i could not take this stuff seriously no matter how hard i tried. calling this book "social media's answer to carol ann duffy" is nothing short of a sick joke. and writing poetry about mental illness and heartbreak etc with the rhyme scheme and structure of a children's piece by john hegley feels like an actual insult.

don't waste your time on this.
Megan Russell
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
First off, I have respect for any female writer who has the courage to tackle tough topics in writing, especially if those topics are especially poignant.

HOWEVER, it is still important that these texts carry weight and value. Unfortunately, this book was overall lacking.

The aesthetic is certainly cute, but the poetry itself is lacking. The writing has certain moments of clarity but for the most part the poetry is choppy, riddled with cliches, or cringey. I really wanted to like this
alexandra
went a bit crazy with the highlight function on my kindle but wow this woman has a way with words where even when i didn't necessarily relate to what she was saying i liked the way she said it.
Katrine Solvaag
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The prose poetry was definitely my favourite bit.
Ana
Jul 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
wish i could’ve given it a half star rating but 🤷🏻♀ ...more
- ̗̀ amy ̖́-
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2019, 3-stars
i picked this up on a whim because my library had the ebook. this just wasn’t my cup of tea, i guess. i’m a richard siken type of poetry person so this type of poetry didn’t do much for me. however, i really did enjoy the prose sections. i like her writing and her way with words but i just really don’t like poetry that rhymes. the love song of alfred j purfrock is the only poem that can rhyme and not sound forced in my eyes. i’d be willing to pick up something by this author again, espically if ...more
Lana
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, read-as-ebook
I was expecting to really like this collection but it just fell very flat for me. I couldn’t resonate with many of the poems, and most of them hadn’t felt profound enough to create an impact. My favourite part was mainly the prose poetry and sadly there wasn’t much of it, just at the start and end of each section.
Fleur
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
2 stars for the two or three poems I liked.

When you start to read a book and you know, you know know you would roll your eyes and avoid the woman telling her story ? We're way too different, and apart from these two or three gems, I felt annoyance and boredom.

A whole part on your weight, really ?
Lucy Pettigrew
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fab collection and I don’t know why I didn’t read it sooner!! ‘All I wanted was some toast’ is a relatable masterpiece and I especially love the section ‘she must be fat’ because a lot of it was also v relatable x
Kiera Lucy
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
There were some great moments in this, however overall it wasn’t particularly thought-provoking or novel for me. I would be interested to see what she’s writing when she’s a little older though, you can tell this is written by a 22 year old.
Bertie Breaden
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best thing I have read to date, covers anything a teenage girl is feeling, I need to read it 10 more times to fully let it all sink in. Worth buying even just for the poem seaweed. Truly amazing!
Doğa Girinti
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
An opinion on this book before I read it said "perfect for young women in their 20s experiencing & learning about love and mental health" and I couldn't agree more.

A must read - especially for poetry lovers!
Cole Garden
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Honest, coming of age, organic yet mythical. A mix of imagery so creative and also very blunt and straight to the point.
Carling
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2018-reads
I honestly have very mixed feelings about this collection. While some of the poems felt very moving and worked very well, other times, the collection leaned too heavily on cliches and typical "tumblr poetry." Still one of the better instagram poets I've read but not one for the favourites shelf.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Missing front cover 8 17 May 23, 2019 04:15AM

• Feminists Don't Wear Pink (And Other Lies): Amazing Women on What the F-Word Means to Them
  • Hopeless Romantic
  • Why Social Media is Ruining Your Life
  • What Would the Spice Girls Do?: How the Girl Power Generation Grew Up
  • Notes on a Nervous Planet
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • Ordinary People
  • My Thoughts Exactly
  • How Do You Like Me Now?
  • Normal People
  • The F Word
  • What a Time to Be Alone: The Slumflower's Guide to Why You Are Already Enough
  • Running Upon the Wires: Poems
“You are not a girl nor a woman, you are an unwanted potato in a packet, left to half-freeze to close to the back of the fridge.” 0 likes