Start by marking “She Must Be Mad” as Want to Read:
She Must Be Mad

She Must Be Mad

‘Poetry meets mental health in Charly Cox’s brave and beautiful She Must Be Mad.’ Stylist Magazine

‘Reading this book made me feel less alone.’ Mashable

She Must be Mad explores coming-of-age: the pain and beauty of love, the relief and the agony of turning from girl to woman, the isolation of an untethered mind and the power and subjugation of the body.

Charly captures the f
Published July 12th 2018 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about She Must Be Mad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Must Be Mad

Shelves: read-in-2018
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING
Jessica
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't read much poetry, and would in no way consider myself knowledgeable enough to rate a collection in terms of how 'good' it is. But what I do know, is that it's very rare that I find a poet I can fully understand, let alone connect with, but I felt both of these things whilst reading this collection.

I wouldn't go as far as to suggest she's 'social media's answer to Carol Ann Duffy', but I think these poems will definitely appeal to many a millennial. Themes of love, mental health, body im
Megan (ChroniclesOfABookworm)
SHE MUST BE MAD was fun to read and had pretty easy language to follow. Also, the themes are totally fitting for women and girls in today's society. Overall, for a non-poetry reader like me (I mean seriously, I just generally don't understand poetry), 3 stars is pretty darn good!
Megan Staunton
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An honest, brave and emotional rollercoaster of a book. Charly illustrates her experiences of growing up as a young woman in this turbulent world with wit, humour and a raw sense of vulnerability that leaves you laughing, feeling and shouting THAT’S ME at the pages.
Diem
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, poetry
There are some total standouts which lifts my overall experience of this collection of poems to a 4.
Joy  Finlayson
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5*
Chanel
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5-ish
Lucy Baldock
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
“Nothing drives me more crazy/ Than the breaks of feeling sane.”

There were definitely some poems I connected to more than others. I liked the smaller poems more than the prose pieces. It was good to see poems about weight and self confidence although some of them I think the phrasing could have been chosen a little wiser. Still it was a good topic to bring up.
Annalise
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Strangely I just didn’t connect with this poetry, despite the themes being relatable.
Courtney
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This book of poetry and prose is divided into four parts/themes. However I feel like this is the biggest downfall. While Charly has a great rhythm (unusual in the era of instagram/tumblr poetry) the themes of the imposed four parts appear equally. It just sort of felt clunky but that's really the only fault.

There's a nice use of language. Again, a great sense of rhythm. The themes touched on are very universal for younger women today (and teens even).

Enjoyable.
Grace
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Funnily enough, my favourite bits of this book were the prose parts, rather than the poetry. Charly really has a way with words.
Amanda Lagerfeld
Sep 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Despite the relatable topics and the easy language I could not get into this book at all. I found it to be a little pretentious and a little boring.
Taking into account her age, and perhaps lack of life experience I feel as though this book was trying to hard to be deep and relatable rather than being deep and relatable.
Also this may be controversial but there is a huge amount of this book dedicated to Cox's body issues. She frequently uses the word "fat" to describe herself. Doing one quick sear
Katrine Solvaag
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The prose poetry was definitely my favourite bit.
Puella Sole
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
I za kraj godine nešto što mi baš nije sjelo, a nije da sam puno očekivala. Uvijek mi je simpatično pročitati nešto što je u jednom trenutko odjednom postalo vrlo popularno, to je negdje i bio glavni razlog zašto sam uopšte naručila knjigu. Sama knjiga je spoj poezije i proze, kraćih i dužih tekstova. Teme koje se provlače kroz pjesme i priče idu od sfere ljubavi i zaljubljivanja do traženja sebe, mentalnog zdravlja, preispitivanja. Najzanimljivija stvar svakako jeste pokušaj da se sačini jedna ...more
- ̗̀ amy ̖́-
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, 3-stars, poetry
i picked this up on a whim because my library had the ebook. this just wasn’t my cup of tea, i guess. i’m a richard siken type of poetry person so this type of poetry didn’t do much for me. however, i really did enjoy the prose sections. i like her writing and her way with words but i just really don’t like poetry that rhymes. the love song of alfred j purfrock is the only poem that can rhyme and not sound forced in my eyes. i’d be willing to pick up something by this author again, espically if ...more
Fleur
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
2 stars for the two or three poems I liked.

When you start to read a book and you know, you know know you would roll your eyes and avoid the woman telling her story ? We're way too different, and apart from these two or three gems, I felt annoyance and boredom.

A whole part on your weight, really ?
Lana
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, read-as-ebook
I was expecting to really like this collection but it just fell very flat for me. I couldn’t resonate with many of the poems, and most of them hadn’t felt profound enough to create an impact. My favourite part was mainly the prose poetry and sadly there wasn’t much of it, just at the start and end of each section.
Lucy Pettigrew
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fab collection and I don’t know why I didn’t read it sooner!! ‘All I wanted was some toast’ is a relatable masterpiece and I especially love the section ‘she must be fat’ because a lot of it was also v relatable x
Kiera Lucy
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
There were some great moments in this, however overall it wasn’t particularly thought-provoking or novel for me. I would be interested to see what she’s writing when she’s a little older though, you can tell this is written by a 22 year old.
Marit
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
4.5
Doğa Girinti
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
An opinion on this book before I read it said "perfect for young women in their 20s experiencing & learning about love and mental health" and I couldn't agree more.

A must read - especially for poetry lovers!
Cole Garden
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Honest, coming of age, organic yet mythical. A mix of imagery so creative and also very blunt and straight to the point.
Igraine
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book as I had heard a lot of praise. However, I was ultimately disappointed with her delivery.

Her rhyming seemed forced, messy, and unneeded. I much preferred her prose and non-rhyming poetry. And I found her voice very sarcastic and negative; not "Funny" as advertised.

Her poetry was vague to the point that it didn’t hit me emotionally as I wanted it to. Her prose, with more exposition and context achieved this to greater effect.

The book is advertised as “a call for c
Zohla
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: bought
@saintrecords

When sanity seems so far
And guarded by gates made of worries
I thank a god
I wish were true
For Solange's Instagram stories

The ending of this little poem was so unexpected, I had to put down the book and laugh for a minute. It made it so honest and original that it absolutely had to be the quote I would use for my review.

But oh well. Unfortunately I couldn’t relate to much else.
There was also so much prose when I much prefered her short poems.

This book of poems is written in four pa
Bren queleoar
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Este libro llego a mis manos de forma inesperada, no lo tenia visto pero encontrarlo firmado en una librería y con un título que me llamaba me impulsaron a llevarmelo. Es el primer libro de la autora y estoy algo en duda con su puntuación (esta entre 2,5 y 3). Reúne poemas y textos en prosa y se divide en 4 partes dedicadas al amor, la locura, la obesidad y la adultez, siendo esta última de mis favoritas.
Tengo que reconocer que la autora logra que uno empatice con ella y con lo que cuenta en pr
Juliano
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn’t know what to expect when I started reading Charly Cox’s ‘she must be mad’ - while her style of poetry isn’t always my cup of tea, I’d heard good things and was intrigued by the concept and an exploration of, among other themes, body image and mental health, both of which resonate with me. And in all honesty this poetry and prose collection is a really stunning debut - well constructed and yet completely void of artifice, Cox speaks to the reader as though she was right in front of you, ...more
Victoria
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s
A new poetry collection from Charly Cox, ‘She Must Be Mad’ is a collection of honest and captivating poems that you won’t be able to stop reading.

In two parts, one part love, one part mind, ‘She Must Be Mad’ keeps it real throughout as these words make an impact using a range of different poetry styles that make for such great reading. Poems such as ‘All I Wanted Was Some Toast’ in particular is a true reflection of the impact of depression on your life and I saw myself uncomfortably in words s
Fabulous Book Fiend
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The synopsis hits the description of this book just right when it says that this book is for every women surviving and thriving in today's world. This book is for more than just them though, this book is definitely for us!

This book is a mixture of poetry and prose and just comments on everything we are thinking and feeling in today's society right now. I love how honest this writers is and how she really picks up on those little insecurities we all have, those dark thoughts in the deepest corner
Kayla
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was bought for me as a gift and I couldn't be more grateful for it! I'm eighteen now but I wish I had this book in my early teens too. Nevertheless though, I'm glad I have it now. Charly Cox is amazing at making her experiences "relatable" - especially for young women and young girls. Would definitely recommend to all the women in my life! Of course there were some poems that I couldn't relate to but that's the beauty of poetry sometimes. It makes you understand how other p ...more
  • The Penguin Book of Japanese Verse
  • Red Juice: Poems 1998-2008
  • The Friendship Cure
  • Good As You: From Prejudice to Pride - 30 Years of Gay Britain
  • Falling Awake
  • The Trouble With Billionaires: Why Too Much Money At The Top Is Bad For Everyone
  • Hera Lindsay Bird