Start by marking “The Red Labyrinth” as Want to Read:
The Red Labyrinth

The Red Labyrinth

The massive labyrinth was built to protect Zadie Kalver's isolated desert town. Unfortunately, living in the maze's shadow makes her feel anything but safe. Even without its enchanted deathtraps and illusions, a mysterious killer named Dex lurks in its corridors, terrorizing anyone in his path.

But when Zadie's best friend vanishes into the labyrinth-and everyone mysteriou
Published June 4th 2019 by Flux

To ask other readers questions about The Red Labyrinth, please sign up.
Meredith Tate (editing this answer a tad for clarity)
(editing this answer a tad for clarity)
Hi! I'd love to write a Red Labyrinth sequel. I had always envisioned it as a 2-3 book series. However, the decision about whether or not to publish the sequel(s) entirely rests with my publisher and is completely out of my control. Thanks for asking! (less)
Meredith Tate Hey! :) Thank you so much for the note! I've actually never heard of the Deathgate Cycle series before, but it sounds amazing and I'm totally adding i…moreHey! :) Thank you so much for the note! I've actually never heard of the Deathgate Cycle series before, but it sounds amazing and I'm totally adding it to my TBR! (less)

Start your review of The Red Labyrinth
jv poore
In Trinnea, the citizens are Skilled or Blank. Enviable abilities set the Skilled apart and allow them to create their own hierarchy. Almost. Pathetic people possessing only the capabilities of mere human beings are Blanks; good for only hard labor and deplorable jobs.

Wonderfully walled to keep out criminals, the banished and Blanks…along with anyone who has insulted The Leader, the population of Trinnea is a proud one. And eerily of one mind. Except Zadie. Having been stripped of pride at a ten
Tammie
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A solid 4 stars. The Red Labyrinth, a young adult/fantasy book, centers around main character Zadie. Zadie is a smart and resourceful teen, unfortunately for her, she was born a “Blank” (meaning no powers/unskilled). In the isolated desert town that she lives in, Blanks are treated as the lowest of the low and Zadie has struggled her entire life just to survive. As difficult as Zadie’s life has been, she has a loving mother and her best friend Landon to help her through the difficult times.
Howe
Schizanthus Nerd
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am brave. I am strong. And I am not afraid.
I always love the opportunity to cheer for an underdog. Zadie lives in Trinnea and is a Blank in a society dominated by people with Skills. Zadie’s family had to pay for her be allowed to live within the walls of Trinnea but she will never be considered equal to the Skilled, whose abilities range from super-hearing to telekinesis and levitation.
Blanks are considered abominations - genetic mistakes.
Traumatised by years of childhood slavery a
Max
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
I love this book, I couldn't stop reading! It's a YA Fantasy adventure and while the idea is not new, I think the author gave a fresh spin to the maze story. Without spoiling too much, the main character is a girl who discovers her strengths after entering a maze that nobody dares to enter. Her world is turned upside down when she finds someone she didn't expect at the end..

The characters are good and realistic. You can really relate to them. I started rooting for the maze Devil Dex right away
Leanne
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC!

This was a fast-paced story which I cleared in one night! I really enjoyed the plot — the isolated setting, the oppressive society, and of course the mystery of the labyrinth, which was resolved in a creative way that I did not expect, but really liked. I found Zadie, the main character, to be likeable and admirable for her bravery and determination. I also became quite fond of Dex, and I like how we got to find out more about his past.
Silvia F.
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, ya
A death-trap filled Labyrinth stands in the way of you, everyone you love and your entire town's salvation. Logically what do you do? Run in and hope that you come out of it alive... I guess.

Gah. I am so torn about how I feel about this book. I think a 3.5 stars is what I'm thinking right now. Reason why I don't feel like its 4 stars? It was sooo slow to start and it was hard get into it at first. I really had to force myself to keep reading it because there was literally no connection to the ch
Glen
Who is Dex? And the secret of the Labyrinth?

The town Zadie lives in has very little love for her. She was born a Blank, a person who has no Skills. The laws in Trinnean requires that Blanks be exiled to the wastelands, and to survive most sign their life away to work in the Bunks, to receive food, a place to stay, and back breaking work. The Bunk is where she meets Landon, who becomes her closest friend. Somehow her ma pays the fee for reentry into Trinnean.

Trinnean is surrounded by desert and
Cassie
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review!

I was intrigued with this story because of the maze and the mysterious and dangerous character named Dex. However, at the end of it, I feel like this was somewhat forgettable. And for my Dystopian loving heart, it hurts a bit to say that.

This world reminds me of The Hunger Games mixed with HP and the Goblet of Fire because of there being a maze with obstacles. Trinnea was very corrupt and the maze was cre
sophie.connects.the.dots (on hiatus)

I really hope this isn't a stand-alone novel. :)

Jenna Bookish
May 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
My thanks to NetGalley and Flux for sending me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and are not influenced by the publisher.

“People are more than the worst things they’ve ever done.”

Oh, gosh, this book had so much potential. There’s something so terribly frustrating about a fantasy novel with an interesting concept but paper-thin world-building. The world Zadie inhabits is intriguing, but seriously lacking in development. Zadie lives in a small town surr
Queen Cronut
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019, netgalley
At first glance, this book sounds similar to The Maze Runner (which I was not very fond of) but Red Labyrinth is much more and exceeded all of my expectations.

Trinnea, a town surrounded by a mysterious and magical labyrinth in which the Skilled (people with extraordinary powers) are elites while Blanks (people with no extraordinary powers) are oppressed and isolated to the outskirts of society. Meanwhile, the menacing and elusive Dex haunts the labyrinth keeping Trinnea's citizens from leaving.
Debbie Gascoyne
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, netgalley, 2019, ya
I was given an ARC of this book by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Sadly, this is just not very good. It is cliched, poorly written and with world building that just doesn't make any sense at all. I think that's its worst failing: it's trying to be too many things and ends up just being a mess. Also, the main character behaves so stupidly so many times that you want to clonk her on the head. AND it's in the present tense. And the pov character bursts into long interi
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
I did enjoy this but I found it quite slow to start, some of the characters weren’t padded out enough and you couldn’t connect because of it. Once I was halfway through I did enjoy it more and it picked up pace. I loved Zadie and the fact she is ordinary, no skills, no super strength etc. A good read but could be better.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Red Labyrinth by Meredith Tate has so much potential. I loved the sound of the premise, but the actual execution just didn't quite cut it for me. Primarily, the world-building was lacking. There's so much more we should have known. As for the characters, they seemed pretty predictable and our lead didn't make the brightest decisions to top it off. Thanks anyway, NetGalley.

Melissa Overby
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sequel sequel I NEED A SEQUEL! I was expecting this to be good, but not THAT good. Anyone know when /if a sequel is coming out anytime soon? Comment on this review!
Autumn
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2019
Zadie Kalver is used to being an outcast. She’s a “Blank” in a world full of those who are “Skilled.” From a very early age, she’s forced to toil in the mines outside the walls of Trinnea until her mother sacrifices everything to buy her freedom. But all along, she dreams of the boy that always looked at her as if she really mattered.

Landon Everhart is a hero. Known as “Limitless Landon” for his ability to endlessly gather new skills, he’s the one person that Zadie would lay down her life for. S
explorerofbooks
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
The Red Labyrinth sets a unique twist of the labyrinth aspect in literature. The reader might recognize aspects from The Maze Runner or The Darkest Minds, but overall, it was a fresh take that constantly tackled expectations and raised new theories to keep it riveting.

For years, a gigantic labyrinth has protected Zadie’s village. Trinnea accommodates the last hope for humanity. Yet, with its dangerous mind tricks and sneaky traps, she feels anything but safe. When her village is forced into sub
Jeannine Marie
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was a disappointment for me. While I did enjoy the adventure aspect that took place inside the Labyrinth, the main character got too whiny and troublesome for me as it progressed on. I also felt that there are still so many aspects of the book that felt lacking. The book is quite predictable and cliche. I'm not sure if this book will have a sequel, but the way the ending was written, it seems like it's going to have one; and it'll be like every other dystopian novels released; heroine ...more
Tina
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher/author for the ARC.

4.5 stars. I really, really, REALLY like this book. Zadie is our required super special, save the world MC, but with a twist: she's not special at all. She has PTSD, no special powers, and is pretty much despised by everyone except her best friend and her mother. I did question her judgement, on occasion, but for the most part she did/thought/said what someone who is ridiculously insecure (due to past and current abuse) would.

The Labyrin
Teri
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book description reminded me of The Maze Runner, a novel I fell head over heels for and kept me guessing, and the cover really grabbed me.

The world-building is creative, detailed, and pulled me in almost immediately.  The Skilled, the Blanks, and the labyrinth housing the monster, Dex, and separating the town folk from the Creator held me spellbound.  The author does a magnificent job explaining Zadie's world without an info dump.  Zadie is also very likable, and has survived tragic circums
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
The Labyrinth rests on territory that is still infused with magic and not even the residents of Zadie’s town who all have amazing skills, except for Zadie and the others known as ‘Blanks,’ stand a chance. But more than that, in the labyrinth lives Dex, the monster that everyone knows of, he kidnaps people into the labyrinth and when they come back, they’re never the same.

So why does Zadie as a blank venture forth? Her best friend (and secret crush, as stated) is missing and she dares to brave th
Julie
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was feeling under the weather when Flux approved my request for an e-ARC of The Red Labyrinth by Meredith Tate. And it was so perfect: I curled up under my covers and let the dystopian world of The Red Labyrinth help me escape. I'd read the first few chapters of it a while back, so I was READY to pick up where I left off.
Without spoilers... It was aMAZEing!
My absolute favorite scene was the chair scene. It was such an enthralling way to learn about the main character and have fun. Pick it up
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Meredith Tate and North Star Editions for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

2.5 stars rounded up to 3 stars.

While I didn't love this, it was an alright read. I love YA SciFi stories so I thought this was just right for me. I also really like the cover and with the synopsis, it sounded so good. Unfortunately my interest in it lacked a little. It wasn't quite what I was expecting but, yeah it wasn't bad. I wouldn't recommend it but I would suggest you gi
Tasha Leigh
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Let me start by saying I really love the premise of this novel. It feels a little Maze Runner, a little Wizard of Oz with a big handful of Labyrinth Lost thrown in. Early on we meet the protagonist Zadie, a Blank who has been condemned by polite society for her complete lack of Skills - In a community that reveres those with more skills, those without are treated as less and I have to say within Red Labyrinth, the prejudice is real. She is downtrodden and belittled and honestly I feel like she s ...more
Steve Stred
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5
One of the first movies I remember watching when I was a kid was Labyrinth from Jim Henson. The fantasy tale starring Jennifer Connelly as Sarah and David Bowie as the goblin King Jareth gripped me from the start. I was about 8 or 9 when I first saw it and since that fateful first viewing, I’ve probably watched it over 1000 times. Also since that fateful first viewing, I’ve easily been intrigued by any movie or book that focuses on labyrinths.

Which brings me to The Red Labyrinth.

I’m a newe
Dina K
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Zadie is a Blank girl who lives in a world of Skilled people. Her life is anything but easy, having to deal with people mistreating her, even her Skilled sister, and working really hard so she can buy her way out of the bunks to Trinnea where all the Skilled people and her family live.
Her only friend is Landon, a boy who has many Skills and somehow is considered to be the hero of Trinnea. When he vanishes mysteriously one day and everyone forgets he ever existed, Zadie decides to risk everything
Alyson Kent
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you, Netgalley, for the ARC.

Really fast read with some interesting twists near the end. Was a little annoyed that there wasn’t much character growth from Zadie until nearer the end of the novel, but if there’s a sequel (please tell me there’s going to be a sequel, because that ending, I just can’t) then I’m looking forward to seeing her build on what was started here.
Amanda (MetalPhantasmReads)
My first completed book of this year wasn't good :/ I know there will be a sequel but I have no interest in continuing. Review is now up on the blog:
Keri
Zadie is a Blank living in a world made only for Skilled. Blanks have no special abilities. The Skilled, however, are born with abilities. Sometimes more than one. Zadie was taken away from her mother at only six years old and sent to the wastes to work for her place. She signed a contract with the Warden to work in exchange for meals and shelter.
Years later, her mother, sister, and best friend had saved up enough money to buy her way into the city. Zadie has a special ID card that lets her
Shay (Book Shy)
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I want to thank Netgalley and Flux for letting me read an advanced copy of this novel.

So, I joined Netgalley to read and review lesser known titles. I can pick these titles based off the synopsis and not pressure from other readers. I don't feel guilty if I'm not reading the most popular book in other words.

I have never read anything by Meredith Tate. This is a dystopian fantasy novel set in a world where humans have died out. There is this small isolated town that is left called Trinnea. The
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Lovestruck
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • The City of Veils (Princess Vigilante, #1)
  • Collateral Damage
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • Crown of Oblivion
  • Beasts of the Frozen Sun (Frozen Sun Saga, #1)
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • Roam
  • Tiger Queen
  • The Memory Thief
  • Instant Karma
  • Set Fire to the Gods (Set Fire to the Gods, #1)
  • The Path Keeper (The Indigo Chronicles, #1)
  • Ever Alice
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
See top shelves…
Meredith Tate grew up in Concord, New Hampshire, where she fell in love with her two passions—writing and traveling. She earned her master’s degree in social work from the University of New Hampshire and worked in Boston for several years before deciding to pursue her true dream of telling stories. After spending three wonderful years in St. Louis, Missouri, and three more amazing years in Zurich, ...more