Start by marking “That Summer in Puglia” as Want to Read:
That Summer in Puglia

That Summer in Puglia

Fiction. Tommaso has escaped discovery for thirty years but a young private investigator, Will, has tracked him down. Tommaso asks him to pretend never to have found him. To persuade Will, Tommaso recounts the story of his life and his great love. In the process, he comes to recognise his true role in the events which unfolded, and the legacy of unresolved grief. Now he's ...more
Published March 12th 2018 by Eyewear Publishing

To ask other readers questions about That Summer in Puglia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Summer in Puglia

Start your review of That Summer in Puglia
Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine)
I read this as part of the Bookollective blog tour. You can read this and all of my reviews at Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine.

When Tommaso is found by a private investigator thirty years after leaving Pulia, he pleads that his whereabouts not be disclosed. In a conversation that spans the better part of twenty-four hours, Tommaso tells his story to Will, the P.I., in the hopes that he will understand and therefore comply with his wishes to remain in the life he has created for himself in England.

There is so
Cathy
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
That Summer in Puglia tells the story of a love affair between two young people – Tommaso and Anna – that is as intense as the heat of an Italian summer. Tommaso is clever, introspective and solitary with just a small circle of friends. He’s never had a girlfriend because he’s never come across anyone with whom he feels a real connection. That all changes when he meets Anna, the result of a chance encounter – or perhaps it’s fate? ‘Extraordinary, how the course of lives can depend on trivia.’

I l
Eva
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thirty years ago, Tomasso left Italy for England. He’s been living under the radar ever since, not wanting anyone to know where he is. But now, a young private investigator has tracked him down. Tomasso asks him not to divulge his whereabouts to anyone but in order to convince the private investigator, he’ll need to tell the story of his life and the reasons he left his home.

Most of the events are set in 1980’s Italy and the author really brings that setting to life. I could see myself sitting o
Thebooktrail
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

That gorgeous cover! - the couple on the front take you with them into the book and through the stories of their lives. It’s a tale touched with sadness and poignancy, tragedy and loss but also one of self discovery and second chances. It made me feel sad and wistful but the language was so beautiful, I was carried along and got to care about the two lead characters and their friends.
Karen Mace
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a totally absorbing debut and loved spending time with the character Tommaso as he recounted the story of his life and loves to a PI who has tracked him down 30 years later. Tommaso has done all he can to distance himself from his past and as he explains the reasons why throughout this intriguing story.

It is a story full of great character studies - we learn of young love, family jealousies and secrets and the way it's told was also fascinating as it feels like Tommaso is havi
Leah
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The quality of sunlight...

When a PI tracks Tommaso down in London to give him the news that he has been left a large legacy, Tommaso tells him he doesn’t want it and pleads that his whereabouts should not be revealed. To make the PI understand why his anonymity is so important to him, Tommaso agrees to tell him the story of why he left Italy – the story of his last summer in Puglia. That was the summer, long ago when Tommaso was young, that he met and fell in love with Anna. The book tells the s
Amanda
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I knew I wanted to read this novel as soon as I saw the cover. The simple black and white image of a couple holding hands, promised much, would the pages inside match the wonderful cover?

We meet our wonderful narrator Tommaso as he meets a private investigator in a London coffee shop, a PI who informs Tommaso that his mother has died leaving him a considerable inheritance. It is an inheritance Tommaso does not want, nor did he wish to be found. Why I asked myself, why did he not want the money,
Imogen
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was not a straightforward love story but one that grips the reader from the start. It is about the flowering of first love between an unlikely couple which is described convincingly and poignantly as it develops into something much bigger that ultimately neither can control. Vescina has a light touch that belies the depth of emotion and meaning she imparts to her prose. At times, it reminded me of Ella Ferrante's writing in the Neapolitan Novels, which I loved. That Summer in Puglia is the ...more
Claudia White
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written novel! Thoroughly enjoyable read!
Maria Donovan
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010s, novel
There is so much wisdom in this book and so much to learn from it. It's elegantly written, lyrical at times and at others direct and tough - with its characters and with the reader. Yet there's a lightness of touch throughout which is admirable.

The story becomes totally absorbing. While you know from the start that something terrible has happened, you become so involved in the lives of the characters that you live with them through times that are by turns wonderful and distressing.

The setting
Joy Corkery
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review originally published here: https://joyfulantidotes.com/2018/05/1...

That Summer in Puglia by Valeria Vescina is narrated by Tomasso who has been located by a private investigator thirty years after leaving Puglia. Tomasso asks PI Will to pretend he never found him, which prompts Tomasso to recount his life story, including that one fateful summer that led to a great love and a great loss.

This is a stunningly beautiful story, made even more wonderful by having Tomasso as the narrator. The p
Francine
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This novel is about love and sacrifice. It is about the social struggle between the rich and poor.
There are lessons for all time here.
I enjoyed reading about places I have been to in Puglia.

Recommended.
Oct 12, 2019
TR
Jun 23, 2020
Travel By Book: Valeria Vescina 3 4 Jun 15, 2018 12:41AM

• All the Devils Are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
  • Carolinas Month-by-Month Gardening: What to Do Each Month to Have A Beautiful Garden All Year
  • Southeast Home Landscaping
  • Your House, Your Garden: A Foolproof Approach to Garden Design
  • Sun, Storm, and Solitude: Discovering Hidden Italy on the Cammino di San Benedetto
  • The Very Marrow of Our Bones
  • The Luminaries
  • The Meaning of the Bible: What the Jewish Scriptures and Christian Old Testament Can Teach Us
  • Kudos
  • The Things We Cannot Say
  • No Man's Land: The Trailblazing Women Who Ran Britain’s Most Extraordinary Military Hospital During World War I
  • Key of Light (Key Trilogy, #1)
  • Florence Adler Swims Forever
  • Flaskepost fra P (Afdeling Q, #3)
  • The Book Charmer (Dove Pond, #1)
  • Pushkin Hills