Start by marking “Measure What Matters” as Want to Read:
Measure What Matters

Measure What Matters

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  14,886 ratings  ·  1,407 reviews

The revolutionary movement behind the explosive growth of Intel, Google, Amazon and Uber.
With a foreword by Larry Page, and contributions from Bono and Bill Gates.

Measure What Matters is about using Objectives and Key Results (OKRs), a revolutionary approach to goal-setting, to make tough choices in business.

In 1999, legendary venture capitalist John Doerr i

Published April 24th 2018 by Penguin (first published September 5th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Measure What Matters, please sign up.
Dimitri Kurashvili Absolutely. You can use it even for yourself to be clear about your own goals with yourself.

·  14,886 ratings  ·  1,407 reviews

Start your review of Measure What Matters
Martin Brochhaus
This book is bad.

The first 18% of the book is simply silicon valley hero worshipping, basically the author bragging about all the cool people he has worked with and why they are so important and genius and surely everything that follows must be of importance because he has worked with important people.

This book is nothing more than a bunch of case studies. As always with these case studies, they are extremely specific to the companies under observation and you will not learn anything from this t
Keith Martin
Solid methodology that could be adequately summarized in two pages, padded to 300+ pages with self-aggrandizement and surface-level case studies.
Romans Karpelcevs
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Did I learn how to set OKRs? No.
Did I find out what's the difference between Os and KRs when you choose them? No.
Do I know how to align departments with non-trivial objectives? No.
Did I understand what to do when things go wrong? No.
Do I feel confident about doing OKRs now? No.
Am I inspired about OKRs more than I was when I started the book? No.
Did I at least heard about how to measure what matters? No.

Did I learn anything at all from this book?! Hm... I heard empty case studies where people, mo
Rick
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've worked on the Google campus for 11 years, and have seen first-hand the impact OKRs have had on the company. John Doerr is single-handedly responsible for bringing OKRs to Google. He saw before anyone else the transformative power Andy Grove's system from Intel could have at Google, and this book is a great window into those early days. John does a great job showing how that early presentation at Google set the stage for so much of the growth and success that came later.

Some of the best part
Martin
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing that someone like John Doerr wrote such a shallow book.

*It's extremely vague. Never gotten into the details of OKR or the shortcomings of this goal setting system. The most detail this book offered is the football analogy
*90% of this book is brief case studies
*Tons of plugs into companies Kleiner Perkins invested
*Lots of reference to Intel and Andy Grove so if you are looking for solid mgmt advise read "High Output Management" instead
Yevgeniy Brikman
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This book should've been a long blog post. At its core, it contains valuable advice about the power of OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) as a mechanism to help get everyone in a company moving in the same direction. Unfortunately, this nugget of wisdom is wrapped in loads of generic business book jargon, scattered through chapters that seem to be organized randomly, and padded out with lots of case studies, which while sometimes interesting, are not terribly useful, and often written in an unnat ...more
Peter Tillman
In 1999, John Doerr got his VC firm Kleiner Perkins to invest $11.8 million for 12% of the infant Google Corp. Current market cap (Dec 2018) for Google is around $743 billion, so Kleiner Perkins' 12% would be worth (say) $89 billion. Doerr himself has a personal net worth of around $7 billion. So, if he's writing a book on how to achieve those sorts of results, he has earned our respectful attention. Plus the book is clearly written, and short. There are caveats, as you can see in nearby reviews ...more
Romanas
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I am a big proponent of written goals with systematic follow-ups. Otherwise, they are just the dreams in the sky, which might accidentally realize, but, most often, they will not. John Doerr presents his approach to goal-setting and ways for following them up. His system is called Objectives and Key Results (OKRs).

The author’s system is solid and, apparently, has been implemented with great success at several outstanding companies like Google.

I can’t agree with the proclamation that the method
Piotr Pisarz
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As an ex-Googler, I’m quite familiar with OKRs -
They are a key management tool in the company. While they sometime frustrate you, they are your key northstar. Having left a few years ago, i do have to say i miss them, and I encourage all companies and founders to instill them.

John’s book is a great intro to the OKR system, used by all leading companies worldwide. It provides clear examples and use cases. If you’re a founder, this should be a new position on your must read list.
ScienceOfSuccess
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: waiting
I hate to grade this kind of books. Any grade from 2 to 5 would be explainable.

There is a clear message so simple you can't miss it...
'The OKRs system is better than goals because goals can measure anything and everything, and OKR's focus on measuring what matters.'
...and then there are 20 examples of how it works.

For me, this book could be a blog post. I don't need quotes from Bono to believe this system works, but when I think more about it, I'd probably forget OKR's and just move one forgett
Geoff
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read a lot of these kind of books because I'm assuming that they'll be read by someone in the senior leadership of my company and then I'll need to respond to the new exciting fad they want to have the company embrace without critical thinking.

This book demonstrated without fail that Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) can produce microprocessors, save people from malaria and HIV/AIDS and deliver HOT pizzas made by robots!

If I bought into the silicon valley/startup hero worship echo chamber that
Herve
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kleiner Perkins is a, not to say the VC brand name – but there is also Sequoia. When their partners write something, it is often worth reading. And this month two of them publish a book! I begin here with John Doerr and his Measure What Matters - www.whatmatters.com (though this is the paperback publication – the hardcover was published in 2017). In my next review I will write about Komisar’s Straight Talk for Startups

Ideas are Easy. Implementation is Everything.

Doerr is a Silicon Valley legend.
Ali Sattari
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
Could have been a ~10 page essay.
Vishwanath
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read on implementing OKRs by the master of them. The google/intel/bono case studies are all detailed and provide a lot of examples on how you can implement these in your own organizations. John Doerr built on the method he learnt at Intel under the great Andy Grove and then helped more than 50 companies implement those OKRs with a lot of success. The system obviously works but the true challenge is influencing the leadership in organization to follow such a methodical approach. This bo ...more
Mindaugas Mozūras
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
If we try to focus on everything, we focus on nothing.

OKRs, as a tool, seems solid.

The book itself is just ok. It's filled with a collection of stories of companies using OKRs. While some stories were fun to read, they fail to convince that OKRs were the catalyst for success.
Maciej Nowicki
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Measure What Matters, written by John Doerr, a successful investor and a venture capitalist, provides us with strategic thinking on how to how to set goals effectively and measure what really matters.

I think, the best recommendation I could put here are words of Larry Page, a co-founder of Google, who once said that he wished he had this book 20 years ago when they founded Google.

The book focuses on OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) a goal system used by Google, Intel, Oracle, LinkedIn, Sears a
Simon Eskildsen
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The right book at the right time for me. The central premise (backed up by numerous studies) is that hard goals drive performance more than easy or no goals. If the vectors or where people are going point in different directions, they add up to zero. But if you get everybody pointing in the same direction, you maximize the results. OKRs are a good way to get there, and the book goes into numerous examples. Don't get too focused on the results, or you end up placing the gas tank six inches from t ...more
Thomas
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read_2018, business
I truly don't get the negative reviews. I suspect some of them must have read a different book than I did. Anyway, this is a solid introduction to OKRs. If you want to learn how various companies have put them into practice, you'll get that and more. The resources at the end are especially helpful and I suspect I'll be referring to them repeatedly.
Vlad
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
The best book on OKRs. Not the best book on measuring what matters. An indispensable guide for anyone implementing OKRs in an org, or working to succeed in an org where OKRs rule.
Sumit Singla
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've always been keenly interested in figuring out how to unlock high performance in an organization. Traditional models like MBO and the Balanced Scorecard have survived so far, but in the fast-changing digital age with shorter business cycles, a new approach is needed.

And that's where OKRs are like a breath of fresh air. Cut the crap. Stop creating complex goal sheets that no one has the time or patience to fill and review. Keep it simple, and focus only on the top priorities for your business
Eugene
The book about OKR (objectives - key results) goals management system invented by Peter Drucker and popularized by long time Intel CEO Andy Groove. Though the OKR system is well known now (see www.withgoogle.com) but this book provides the instruction and the details and nuances on the proper implementation along with interviews from managers and founders who are using OKR for the projects, including Bill Gates (Gates Foundation), Bono (U2), Sundar Pichai (Alphabet), Susan Wojcicki (YouTube) and ...more
Annie
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this book 3.5 stars. The title suggests that it will guide you in defining objectives and key results. However, it's more of a memoir of how this method had worked for the many companies that the author was involved with (hence, the negative reviews for self-aggrandizing). The few important lessons from the book are select 3-5 objectives every quarter (specifically 'what' has to happen to increase business value), identify the key results needed ('how' to reach the goal - what are the inc ...more
Kent
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
There's nothing wrong with a goal-setting model, and John Doerr gives a pretty good one. I've seen a lot of chatter on here about how people don't understand how to set OKRs still. That surprises me. Doerr sets out a good playbook to do it:

- Set a goal
- Establish measurable, achievable, challenging metrics that, if met, would mean great strides to achieving that goal
- Have goals that balance themselves (e.g. don't just set growth without quality goals).
- Make goals and metrics transparent + pub
Soroosh Azary Marhabi
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
this book is all about OKRs and how they have been critical to success of some tech giants, and most of it's chapters have been written by founders of companies that john doerr is an investor. while this book has some interesting stories, it could have been way shorter than this. reading it book is like having 20 people to a seminar all repeating "brushing your teeth is good for you" without adding any more information than the previous person. by the way, using OKRs is good for you :)
Julia
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dear past, present and future manager: please read this book. If you can, get a hard copy. Unless listening is the only way you will read it[1]. In particular, please pay attention to Chapters 15 and 17 about 1:1s. These are the best parts of the book. I wish I had read these pages when I was a manager, and I'll be referring to them again in the future.

[1]: Yes, I listened to it and just bought the hardcover version so I did put my money where my mouth is thankyouverymuch.
Neil S W Murray
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this in two sittings as it was easy and enjoyable to read. Hardly groundbreaking stuff but a good reminder of the power of structured goals as well as the history of OKRs. The best part are the case studies/stories interwoven throughout the book. Useful resource section at the end too to help you set your own OKRs.
Phil Calçado
Repetitive but useful

The first chapters are great, it gets quite repetitive after that. Too many case studies that repeat the message that OKRs are great, not enough interesting corner cases or other interesting tips.
Filipa
This book is super insightful and I enjoyed reading it very much. I read this book primarily because I wanted to educate myself on this framework since at the company I work for we’re in the process of implementing OKRs. I wasn’t expecting this book to be so enjoyable, though.
All the stories from many different companies that have implemented OKRs as well have enriched this book to no end. Furthermore, this book is also about culture, about leaders and about leading with purpose, so it ended up
Matias Myllyrinne
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book, took loads away from it and has helped me and our team.
Jeremy Zhang
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good concepts that will positively impact the company. Could have been a lot more concise.
What's Next?: Book Review: Measure What Matters 1 3 Aug 31, 2020 05:35AM
CTL Women Empower...: Q4 2018 Book Club Winner 1 4 Nov 29, 2018 10:10PM

• Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
  • High Output Management
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity
  • Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
  • Principles: Life and Work
  • The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Never Split the Difference
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • The Infinite Game
  • Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead
an American investor and venture capitalist at Kleiner Perkins in Menlo Park, California.

Articles featuring this book

Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks? Inspired by all the kids heading back to school, we rounded up the best recently published books for...
“Bad companies,” Andy wrote, “are destroyed by crisis. Good companies survive them. Great companies are improved by them.” 8 likes
“Ideas are easy. Execution is everything.” 5 likes