Start by marking “New Thinking: From Einstein to Artificial Intelligence, the Science and Technology that Transformed Our World” as Want to Read:

#1 Amazon New Release! ― ColdFusion's New Thinking About Technology and Science

What can history’s greatest breakthroughs in science and technology teach us about the future?

New Thinking: As each new stage technology builds on the previous innovations of the last, advancements begin to increase at an exponential rate. Now, more than ever, it’s important to see how

Published January 15th 2020 by Mango (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about New Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Thinking

Start your review of New Thinking: From Einstein to Artificial Intelligence, the Science and Technology that Transformed Our World
For_the_love_of_words
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure what this Gary guy is on about. I read the book. This book is not a political or sociological book, nor does it even attempt to be. This book does not side with Nazis or fascists. It is a book on technology, designed for tech-buffs or the curious, and written in a language easy enough for even the non-technical to follow.

As one of those non-techs I loved the book for its narrative style, for its humour and its tragedy, for its anecdotes bringing the stories of innovations and brill
Gary  Beauregard Bottomley
Mar 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Why did I dislike this book so much? I know part of it had to do with there was not one thing in this book that I had not read elsewhere. Part of it has to do with the context less way the stories were told. Part of had to do with the substance free science and history that was presented. I would definitely not recommend this book to anyone who cares about how we got where we are today or what it means.

Right after I finished this book I started listening to Alvin Toffler’s ‘Third Wave’ written i
Pramod
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The new thinking by Dagogo altraide. If you want to understand today's innovation and technology then this book is for you.
it's an introductory book for absolute beginners..the book orderly explained complex ideas in simple a way.. that's the beauty of this book..
Davy Chhouk
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good One. An easy to understand tech history.

The author has narrated the tech revolutions very well. Main stories, big idea and so on. It's also entertaining just like his channel.
Jasmine Annina
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Despite being someone who doesn't have a very in depth understanding of science and technology, I found this book a very easy read. It is evident that the author has written the book with a wide audience in mind. The book is written in a way that is similar to the way technology and science is discussed on the ColdFusion Youtube channel; the information is presented in a way that is easy for the reader to understand and includes interesting anecdotes on the people and social contexts which helpe ...more
Muhtasim
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, gives a brief overview of technological advancement from 19th century and onward.
Absolutely loved the short stories and well researched quality contents included in this book.
John Stevenson
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not bad - some interesting tech history that I didn't know. Well researched, poorly edited, but well worth the read for the information contained therein.
Sergio Abreu
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't found in this book what I thought I would when I started reading it, but in any case, that was my fault. The first quarter of the book I was feeling kind of frustated, because I kept reading and I couldn't find a main thread to the narrative. At some point I stopped looking for it, it was then I realized I was not approaching the book from a good point. This is not one of ColdFusion videos, neither it should be.

There's no focus on any particular subject, nor any specific narrative to th
Mark Odayan
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have been following ColdFusion's content on YouTube for the past 2 years so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that he was releasing a book. His method of delivery in describing significant events surrounding technology on his channel is done nicely and presented in a well articulated fashion.

This book is quite broad but covers important milestones achieved in technology and science and the impact that followed thereafter in a similar way to how Dagogo does on his channel.

While it is not th
Bryce
May 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
I came across this book from watching several videos on Coldfusion's YouTube channel. I didn't particularly enjoy this book because of the lack of focus. Oftentimes throughout the book it felt like Altraide was bouncing back and forth between tech related innovations to music innovations to political upheavals. This book would have been much better if the author could have picked one of those topics and ran with it. For all of my gripes with this book, I have to admit that it exposed me to a lot ...more
Michael Brewington
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well written and organized. account of the history of technology and the immanent future.

Dagogo keeps with his high standards from YouTube to the written word. Truly a great book on the account of technology and the emerging future and the effects we can anticipate on humanity. Cannot wait to read version two on 5 years.
Wolé Ogounchi
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightful book

If you’ve been an aficionado of the YouTube channel ColdFusion by the same author, then I could tell you that the book kept the same level of quality. Otherwise, this is a good way to get to know the author and his work. An amazing piece that you’d rather discover by your own (No spoil).
Randeep
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From Steam Engine to Telephone to Transistor to ML, Blockchain, 3D Printer...This books includes starting of so many technologies and ideas behind them that people of today takes for granted.
Very Fun read and lots of great mention like one of Post Malone 😁 ....Also can bring a lot of nostalgia if you are a millennial.
Must read for everyone especially tech enthusiasts or Engineers!!
Ravi Sinha
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to dislike this book. Although from the title I was hoping for a psychological breakdown of what leads to 'new thinking', and that's not what this book is, all the same, it is a great step by step story of the victory of the human spirit over complex challenges through science and technology.
Kailash Hornig
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book, and a must-read to everyone who wants to fully understand the last couple of hundred years of science and innovation. Altraide gives a clarifying context to every invention and highlights the importance of each puzzle piece which later transforms into the bigger picture of today's situation and tomorrow's expectations. Looking forward to more from this guy!!
Michael Theunissen
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! An easy read but packed with nuggets of information that are priceless. This is a book I would recommend any parent / grandparent should gift their young teenage /adult offspring with an interest in science and technology. They will not be disappointed.
harish
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book ! Its a catalog of inventions that changed the world put in an intresting and simple way. The best part of the book is chronology of inventions explained in very simple way and constant connection with past and future.
Ibrahim Mutah
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read. A journey through history that makes one appreciate the world today.
Alar Mäerand
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Good stories about important inventions, but nothing more...
Hyusein Arabadzhiev
Very good summary of the history of technology and a good prediction about the future
Lex
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
great book! got it from a humble bundle its too bad the focus in the end is more on computers.
Rahul
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a take on science and technology! Just marvellous. It's like sapien book for science.
MUST READ FOR ALL. Don't go over neg reviews. It's worth reading. All the best for the author. Looking forward to next books.
Kabilan Tamilmani
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must Read

It is a must read book that changes our perspective towards technology. You can say this as a story to kids, so they are inspired.
Gaurav Neema
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for tech enthusiasts!!
Shahaad
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great! Very informative.
Carlos Alfaro
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent read,specially if you like Dagogo's YouTube channel. Very good history of tech, would really recommend it if you like tech and history, great bundle of those 2.
Harry Harman
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Best book on the history of technology. Heavily researched.
Jose Rodriguez Mellior
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An easy to digest journey through time, from the beginnings of the industrial revolution to today's digital era.
Jonathan
Aug 08, 2020 rated it liked it
This book could perhaps be titled "Old Thinking" rather than "New Thinking," and was a bit disappointing to me despite not being a bad book. As with others, I found this book after coming across the author's "ColdFusion" channel on YouTube, and was impressed by their polish and seeming knowledge of various subjects. However, the book begins decently but it quickly becomes apparent that this is a very cursory overview of past innovations throughout history which could be similarly read about by s ...more
Emmanuel Nwanji
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you love his channel, you would love this book.

• Good Economics for Hard Times: Better Answers to Our Biggest Problems
  • Let's Talk Money
  • The Future Is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies Are Transforming Business, Industries, and Our Lives
  • V2: A Novel of World War II
  • Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To
  • Fifty Inventions That Shaped the Modern Economy
  • The Big Nine: How the Tech Titans and Their Thinking Machines Could Warp Humanity
  • The Age of Spiritual Machines: When Computers Exceed Human Intelligence
  • Witches, Spies And Stockholm Syndrome: Life in Medieval Ireland
  • 1348: A Medieval Apocalypse - The Black Death in Ireland
  • The Importance of Being Cool

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“The Dunning-Kruger effect was proposed by David Dunning and Justin Kruger in 1999. They found that, if people have limited knowledge on a topic, they tend to be extremely confident in what they’re saying and grossly overestimate their competence to discuss it. Conversely, as people gain more knowledge, they become more shy about expressing it. If we apply this theory to social media conversations, the people who know the least will be commenting the most because they’re over-confident. The Dunning-Kruger effect, combined with empathy destruction, could create an environment where those with the least knowledge are the most vocal, yet are unable to comprehend opposing points of view. At the same time, those with the most knowledge are likely to stay silent. Hence we end up with a cesspool of over-confident ignoramuses yelling at each other. Social media in a nutshell, ladies and gentlemen.” 3 likes