Start by marking “Sexuality and Its Impact on History: The British Stripped Bare” as Want to Read:

Sexuality and Its Impact on History: The British Stripped Bare

Would you swig a magic potion or plot to kill your husband in order to marry your lover? These are just two of the many romantic and sexual customs from British history that you will explore as eight authors take us through the centuries, revealing that truth is stranger than fiction when it comes to love.

From bizarre trivia about courtly love, to techniques and prostitut
Published June 29th 2018 by Pen and Sword History

To ask other readers questions about Sexuality and Its Impact on History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sexuality and Its Impact on History

Start your review of Sexuality and Its Impact on History: The British Stripped Bare
Frankie (Chicks, Rogues and Scandals)
As soon as I got offered the chance to review this book, I jumped at it. True it’s not my usual reading material but I was intrigued by the premise of this book, it caught my attention. I do like how very easy to read this is, I have read history compilations before that I found very difficult to connect with and hard to follow, due to the amount of scholarly wording. But this is beautifully written so that everyone can enjoy it. You don’t have to be a scholar or someone with a hundred A level’s ...more
Jennifer Theriot
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t wait to download the newest book from Hunter. Even though this is a history book, it will intrigue you from the beginning. All the essays are interesting, and you can see Hunter’s influence on the book, but the star is Hunter. She brings to the reader’s attention the conditions of women in the Victorian Era and what many of them had to endure. Her story shows how the early 20th century was shaped for and by women of the Victorian Era. I like that she isn’t critical of the women and me ...more
Regan Walker
4 and ½ Stars - A great addition to the knowledge of women’s lives in history!

According to the authors’ description, Sexuality and Its Impact on History: The British Stripped Bare chronicles the pleasures and perils of the flesh, sharing secrets from the days of the Anglo-Saxons, medieval courtly love traditions, diabolical Tudor escapades (including those of Anne Boleyn and Mary Queen of Scots), and the Regency and the Victorian eras. That pretty much sums it up, however, it doesn’t fully conve
William O'Brien
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sexuality and Its Impact on History: The British Stripped Bare
by Hunter S. Jones (Goodreads Author), Annie Whitehead, Jessica Cale (Goodreads Author), Judith Arnopp (Goodreads Author), Gayle Hulme, Dr Beth Lynne

An excellent read, which opens up many historical aspects and interesting viewpoints

Highly recommeded
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Julia
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, research
What a mixed bag this was.

This collection of essays, each by a different author, includes some really excellent scholarship but unfortunately some truly deplorable examples as well.

First off, don't be too excited by the salacious title. We're promised sex but what we get is the usual potted history of Britain with a slight focus on courtship and marriage etc. Chapter 3 is one of the few chapters that comes close to the book's premise and it was by far my favorite essay. Other reviews complain ab
Dottie
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
So many interesting essays from some fantastic historians! Learn the origins of the story of Lady Godiva, hear about the love affair of Anne Boleyn and poet Thomas Wyatt! Love potions, seduction and murder! This book is a must read for any history fan.
Judith McKellar
Chapter 2 shouldn't be in this book
Emma Dargue
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book as it is a series of essays about several of history's sexual intimacies such as Henry VIII's many wives to Lady Godiva as well as Victorian society and prostitution. Really interesting and I found out a lot about things I never knew about.
Edwina Jaynes
The second essay stinks
Lisa Flores
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The concept is exceptional; the only problem with this book this that the chapter named Rioting in the Harlot's Embrace isn't necessary
Charlotte
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
(reading time: 3.6 hours)

A somewhat loose collection of essays.
Rachel Chapin
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Why wasn't the Anglo-Saxon menage sexy?
Amy  Hansen
It was well written and I learned a lot about historical times and their relationships. I was hoping for more of a sexual read. It was facts, mainly. I would recommend this book if you are looking for facts on relationships from the early ages. But, not for mainly sexual purposes.
Kimberly McCoy
Georgina
Apr 13, 2019
Sandra Warner
« previous 1 3 next »

• Letters From The Universe: The Framework of Everything and a Cosmic Guidance to Love, Life and Beyond
  • Auction of Emotions
  • The Reach Between Worlds (The Arclight Saga #1)
  • Okinawa Diet
  • The Fundamentals of Long Distance Relationship: Things You Need to Know About Long Distance Relationships (LDR) and Tips How to Make it Work
  • From Riches to Rags
  • Kill Irish
  • The Meanderers
  • Transition
  • True Dummy - a fable of existence
  • West Virginia
  • Chinese Astrology for Beginners
  • The Talented xth
  • Redstone (The Ammolite Adventures #2)
  • Greenstone (The Ammolite Adventures, #3)
  • Bluestone (The Ammolite Adventures #1)
  • Swipe to Unlock: The Primer on Technology and Business Strategy
  • Illuminati - The Book of Life
HUNTER S. JONES is passionate about the history of romance, science and music, a.k.a. sex, drugs and rock & roll. She is a historian presenter for Past Preservers Casting. When she isn’t writing, talking or tweeting about kings, queens and rock stars, she’s living the dream in Atlanta, Georgia with her Scottish born husband.

News & Interviews