Start by marking “Wardley Maps” as Want to Read:
Wardley Maps

Wardley Maps

Open-source book by Simon Wardley on the process of developing the strategic mapping tool that's come to be known as a "Wardley Map."

Book is originally a series of articles published on the Medium online publication. A volunteer has also open-sourced MOBI and PDF versions of the book available for free download: learnwardleymapping.com

To ask other readers questions about Wardley Maps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wardley Maps

Start your review of Wardley Maps
Bjoern Rochel
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, 2021
I haven’t read many strategy related books in the past and if I did, those books rarely went beyond the superficial level. This one is different. It’s dense. It’s both abstract and very concrete, theoretic and very practical, high and low level. Believe me, when I say there’s a lot to take in and wrap your head around in this book.

It’s an interesting mix of a bio (smaller parts), lots of theory (around market behaviors, competition and evolution of components of these markets) and a lot of case
Yannick Grenzinger
Aug 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Not really a book but mostly a collection of blog posts (free on medium.com) which makes it not really easy to read.
There is a good deal of inspiring insights about business strategy and decision making at strategic levels. However it's also packed with repetition and the stories of Simon Wardley ( and he says he doesn't love story telling :p )

The best part is the "Wardley's maps" which are an amazing tool to help to make strategic business decisions. And you have the main ideas at the start of
Gerard Chiva
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of strategy books and I didn't realize something was missing until I read Wardley Maps. Actually I didn't read the medium blog posts but a free PDF available in Leanpub.

To me, this learning is a game changer. It adds a missing an powerful perspective on top of other strategy books like "Competitive Strategy", "Good Strategy/Bad Strategy" or "Playing to Win".
Daniel Wellner
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
There is truely a lot of deep, yet actionable -mappable- wisdom hiding in this book. However it nevertheless felt like quite a difficult and therefore somewhat tiresome read.

I think I got a good basic understanding of the Wardley mapping techniques, but at the same time I appreciate that applying this techniques to their full extent will likely take years of practice. There is just way too much information in the book to grasp by just reading about it.

Fortunately, since the book is freely avail
Toni Tassani
May 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook
A Medium post turned into a book explaining the brilliant idea of the Wardley Maps has been a very difficult read. I've re-started reading twice and I found a lot of repetition and a mix of boring detailed parts along with extremely interesting bits. The idea of having exercises at the end of the chapter did not work for me.
The whole idea of the maps is well explained in some videos out there. I've learnt reading the book, for sure, but the cost has been high.
Mark J Easton
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
While predominantly a book on how to drive business strategy by using Simon Wardley's mapping technique, it also includes a treasure trove of anecdotes on innovation, managing the value chain, and product evolution.

An absolute must read for anyone interested in business strategy, leadership, and product or service development.
Johnny
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good introduction to Wardley Maps and how to create them. You get a lot of context on how Simon Wardley came up with creating those maps. This is great to understand the motivation and the reasoning behind the idea but makes it a bit harder than necessary if you just want to create your own maps.
Alexander Antukh

• Consciousness Explained
  • The Extended Phenotype: The Long Reach of the Gene
  • The Glass Cage: How Our Computers Are Changing Us

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »