Jump to ratings and reviews

Exordia

Sacrifices must be made.

On a desert planet, all citizens must cooperate to survive. The scientific organization, Pallagen, protects the colony city of Exordia--whether they want it or not.

Rebels must be broken.

Ex-Pallagen researcher Lena Ward isn’t going down without a fight. Her team of Exordia rejects is ready to pierce Pallagen’s benevolent exterior and expose the truth of their horrible agenda.

Loyalty must be programmed.

Amnesiac Alex Kleric is reclaiming her life as an Enforcement officer dedicated to Exordia and Pallagen. But the records aren’t jogging her memories. Something is wrong--and all questions point to Lena Ward and her underground rebellion.

Progress must continue.

To save Exordia. At any cost.

388 pages, Paperback

1 book3 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews
Profile Image for Kara.
761 reviews
April 5, 2018
I took one look at this cover and knew I had to read it, I didn't expect to love it as I did, WOW! From the first page I was hooked to the story, it's FILLED with heart and character driven..my FAVORITE type of spec/sci fi book! It reminded me of the movies Divergent and The Island, but it's an even better story with incredible world building and characters that are easy to love. God is also mentioned, but He is known as the Revelator, which I thought was so clever.

I loved Dani immediately, she was my favorite character in this :) I couldn't even tell if she was a cyborg of some sort or mostly human, but the way she is described, I felt like I was right there with her the whole time.

I was SO UPSET when a main character dies, it took me a few pages to even realize what happened, but it was also well written and helps the plot get to the incredible conclusion.

There's a major plot twist in this, like The Sixth Sense only better, and I DID NOT see it coming!! Just WOW! The ending is not a cliff-hanger but if you're as hooked as I was you'll want to read the sequel ASAP. There was no romance in this one, more of a family feel to it, and I enjoyed every bit of it. I thought for sure one or two characters would betray the main people I loved, but they surprised me in a good way. One of my fave scenes is when Lena and Dani are "hidden" from building to building as authorities search for them, so well done!!

Cannot recommend this book enough, I had no idea I would love it as much as I did and it just completely blessed me.

I received an ARC from the publisher. This review is voluntary, the comments and opinions are my own.
Profile Image for K.M. Carroll.
Author 37 books36 followers
April 13, 2018
Goodness, this was a good book. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. But characters with snark and chemistry are just the best. There's also a plot twist in the middle that threw me completely for a loop. Great read!
7 reviews1 follower
April 29, 2018
Excellent

Excellent! Fast paced, good characters, and unpredictable. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good adventure.
Profile Image for C.O. Bonham.
Author 12 books24 followers
April 12, 2018
Exordia by Sarah E. Ott, is an intriguing Sci-fi novel. The setting is astounding, a desert planet with blue sand. Exordia is the terraformed portion of that planet. It's divided into at least seven sections called cities, each with their own unique atmosphere.

There are two elements that really bring this novel to life.

The first is Lena, she assembles a team to fight the corporate giant known a Pallagen. A scientific company that believes they can take any citizen to use as their lab rats.

The second element is Alex, who wakes up with no memories of her previous life. Alex suspects that her memory loss may have been caused by Pallagen. She sets out to find answers.

What kept me reading, turning pages and second guessing everything, was waiting for Alex and Lena to meet. The author really draws it out but when these two characters come together, stuff explodes.

While the ending isn't exactly a cliff hanger, I certainly hope there is more to this story.

**I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.*
Profile Image for Aaron DeMott.
Author 5 books38 followers
March 25, 2019
This was a really fun and engaging story. The characters have a nice team dynamic, and they grow on you over the course of the story. There's a bit of fun sci-fi heist/ fight "the man" thing going on, with a nice twist at the end.

Technically, this should be called a dystopian story. Over-all, I really don't like dystopias, but I loved this book. It explores some of the same themes as other dystopian stories, but never gets bogged down in depression like most of them. There are some sad bits, but over all there's a hopeful theme.
Profile Image for C.S. Wachter.
Author 9 books95 followers
April 20, 2019
The great premise and smooth writing made this a quick read, but the story lacked the depth I would have liked to see in both the world building and characters. The first half dragged a bit for me, but the pace picked up in the second half with a twist that finally brought both story lines together. With the added characters of the second half and an ending that left the door open for another book, I would consider reading the next book hoping to see the world of Exordia and the characters fleshed out more fully.

Profile Image for E.B. Dawson.
Author 36 books140 followers
Read
August 24, 2018
I'm going to mark this as DNF.

The premise for the story is interesting: a scientist trying to take down the evil corporation she used to work for because she found out they were experimenting on people. I felt the first couple of chapters were pretty strong. But things seemed to deteriorate after that.

The worldbuilding is really muddled and confusing. At almost halfway I was just starting to get an idea of this world, how it is laid out, and how it works. There are 7 cities (why? who knows). I have no idea how they are laid out, or how far apart they are. They all seem to have a distinct tone to them (why? who knows).

The characterization is flat and inconsistent. Sometimes there is too little said about characters so that I can't really picture who they are and make up my own mind about them (Claire. I can't decide if the author wants us to trust her or be suspicious of her. And I don't have enough information to make up my own mind, just some of Alex's muddled back and forth and back and forth thinking). Sometimes there are constant contradictions (Brant says really hurtful things to Dani because she's been experimented on. But then she tells Lena, "He's the only one who treats me like I'm normal.") Some characters don't seem to act their age. (I don't know how old Alex is supposed to be, but if she was in Enforcement for several years, deep undercover, and then in a coma for several years, I imagine mid-twenties. She acts/thinks a lot more like eighteen).

Plot elements seem contrived and unrealistic. Dani's a technopath, so she can interface with technology with her mind, I guess. No attempts are made to explain this or explain what her limits are. From what we've seen, she can do anything she wants. This seems a little too convenient. But at times the characters seem remarkably helpless in spite of it.

Lena wants to take down Pallagen, so she starts hitting labs one by one, shooting guards, and getting information about more labs. Why don't they go to the media with the information they have? Why doesn't Dani use her mad skills to hack into everybody's tablets to show what Pallagen is doing? Lena says she wants Pallagen to see their faces when they attack a lab, and that Dani can hack all the cameras etc. so nobody can ever track them home. But then it says that their faces are plastered on billboards. But nobody ever recognizes their faces. And then this one lady knows exactly where to find them when her daughter goes missing. She shows up at the exact restaurant. And she's just some mom. So confusing. Also, how come Pallagen never increases the security on their labs? I get that Dani can keep the alarms from going off. But if Pallagen is so powerful, I would think they'd have a way to strike back or set a trap. They know exactly who Lena and Brant are, but seem completely defenceless against them.

For the first third of the book they muddle through some heists and some awkward "team building." Then they discover human experiments in one of the labs and this seems to change their entire plan (I thought this was the basis for what they were doing in the first place). They talk about all the steps they need to take to take care of these people: safe houses etc. And then the story just moves on for the sake of the plot. It pretty much says "they took them to a safe house" as if that should take care of everything. What about medical treatment? What about psychological treatment? There were 8 of them in the first lab and soon it implies they found more. How are 3 people doing all of this? It would be interesting if it showed them working with other people (doctors, landlords, etc.). But it's just the three of them doing everything. Whenever they need something either Dani "hacks it" or Brant mysteriously gets it and Lena says "Where'd you get this? Nevermind, I don't want to know."

So Pallagen finally comes on the news to talk about what's happening. The PR guy says something like, "Pallagen serves Exordia and anyone who attacks us is an enemy of the state." For some reason this seems to send Lena into a tailspin, suddenly questioning everything: "Are we the bad guys? What makes us different from Pallagen?" At this point I just got tired.

The story had potential. I'm willing to work through a lot of issues in books. But usually there has to be something to keep me going: good characters or a believable plot. These characters were two dimensional and contradictory, the plot was muddled and not super believable, and the world building was messy and I still don't understand how this world functions. How does the government work? Who holds the power? Pallagen seems to be interconnected with the government or at least the police force, which explains why Lena didn't try to take down Pallagen legally...but then Lena, Brant, and Dani are basically taking on the government or law enforcement, right? How do they expect to win? Why are they so consumed with doing it themselves and not forming a resistance, when clearly this impacts everybody? So confusing.

I very much wanted to like this book. The prose is actually quite strong. Has anybody else read it?
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.