Start by marking “In a House of Lies (Inspector Rebus, #22)” as Want to Read:
In a House of Lies (Inspector Rebus, #22)

In a House of Lies

(Inspector Rebus #22)

IN A HOUSE OF LIES...

Everyone has something to hide
A missing private investigator is found, locked in a car hidden deep in the woods. Worse still - both for his family and the police - is that his body was in an area that had already been searched.

Everyone has secrets
Detective Inspector Siobhan Clarke is part of a new inquiry, combing through the mistakes of the original c
Published October 18th 2018 by Orion (first published October 4th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about In a House of Lies, please sign up.
Marianne Perry I read Knots and Crosses last month. Had yet to read Rankin’s first novel. Been quite a while since I read Rankin’s other books. I am enjoying this…moreI read Knots and Crosses last month. Had yet to read Rankin’s first novel. Been quite a while since I read Rankin’s other books. I am enjoying this novel immensely but should have read an earlier one to refresh my memory about the recurring characters. I think I will do so in the future and skim this one again. Personal opinion only. Nevertheless, Ian Rankin is simply brilliant.(less)

Paromjit
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So Ian Rankin gives us the 22nd in the Edinburgh series featuring the iconic DI John Rebus, except Rebus is retired, although when was that ever going to stop him? He may well have given up the fags and curbed his excessive need for the drink, he may well have trouble climbing the stairs with his emphysema but he has not forgotten his well honed detective gut instincts. A group of schoolboys in Poretoun wood discover a well hidden red VW polo, in the boot is the body of a dead man with his feet ...more
Nat K
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing

”Who is it exactly that you’ve been speaking to, Siobhan?”
“He’s an ex-cop. Been retired a few years. And if I know him, he’ll be turning up here in the next ten or fifteen minutes.”
“Feel like telling us a bit about him before that happens?”
“In ten or fifteen minutes?” Clarke gave a little snort. “I doubt I’d be able to do him justice.”

Sigh. Another Rebus book devoured. So wonderful to have spent time in his company again. Sigh because the ending left me satisfied, with the carrot dangling that
Andrew Smith
There’s no doubt that Ian Rankin is one of Britain’s finest crime fiction writers, in recent times maybe the best of all. But he’s now having to address a problem of his own making: by allowing his Edinburgh detective to age in real time he now finds that his frontman is well past 60 and therefore at a point he can no longer actively serve. So what now? It’s the same issue a number of other well respected crime writers are facing (James Lee Burke and Michael Connelly spring to mind) and the choi ...more
Tucker
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although John Rebus is retired and suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, he is drawn into Siobhan Clarke’s latest investigation. A skeleton is discovered in the woods and later determined to be that of a man Rebus and his team tried to find years ago. Because they were never able to locate the missing man, the team fell under serious scrutiny for their failure to solve the case. There were accusations of incompetence and corruption, and Malcolm Fox is brought in to evaluate the i ...more
Bill Lynas
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ian Rankin's legendary creation John Rebus may have retired from the police force, but he's lost none of his investigation skills. With over twenty books in the Rebus series Rankin, like the detective himself, shows no sign of slowing down.
In A House Of Lies is dramatic, thrilling & surprising. It's also full of humour & great dialogue.....& that's just the first two chapters.
It is perhaps more of a John Rebus/Siobhan Clarke thriller, as Rebus is now retired & it's not quite as e
Stephen Robert Collins
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First this not an Inspector Rebus because he is now 72 finished he is past it, not even been brought back for cold cases. This perfect example of money wasted as police officers are made to retire at 60 yet load of the good offices do not become brilliant till 55-57.
This is Siobhan Clarke 's big case when body turns up murdered back in 2006 it is one of John's unsolved missing cases but It is not just her its also Malcolm Fox too. So Got three way cross old fart Rebus, Siobhan & Fox as well
John Martin
Time Rebus retired for good

I’ve been a fan of Ian Rankin’s Rebus from his early books but I think it’s time for one of us to part company.
Earlier books were cutting edge but I found this one to be tired, cliched and with a story that stretched credibility too much and relied on chance just a bit too often.
If this was the work of a newer writer, I might have given it four stars because even though the writing fails to sparkle the story is better than average. But truth is I expect better from Ran
Lou
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have a soft spot for Rebus given it was this series that got me interested in reading crime fiction in the first place, and I can't believe we still have new additions to it so many years after it began, not that there is any reason to stop producing a series that is universally popular. This is, in fact, the twenty-second novel to feature Edinburgh-based former Detective Inspector John Rebus of Police Scotland. You often find as a series wears on that the author becomes a little despondent an ...more
Kathy
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not five star is the determination of the correct edition I actually read since it does not appear in the long list of editions. I could monkey with it, but I won't. Mine is US edition from Little Brown and 372 pages. I did earlier take advantage of the free preview Kindle from Amazon and enjoyed it.

After the preview, I knew I would love the book. It manages to be fresh. Such new life was breathed into this 22nd Rebus book that it sparkles. Ian Rankin rules!

Yes, Rebus appears with his little dog
Sandy
Now the looong wait for #23....review to follow.
Margaret
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
The latest John Rebus novel by Ian Rankin is simply delicious.

A car is found with a skeleton in it. The skeleton of a young man who went missing several years early. Problem is, the car wasn't there when the police searched the area.

Now the case is being reopened, with Siobhan Clarke and Malcom Fox involved, whilst Rebus flits around the edges making a hairy arsed nuisance of himself. Add a couple of bent coppers and someone stalking Siobhan, and you have a classic, gritty, Ian Rankin novel.

Ofte
Dorothy
John Rebus is now pushing 70 and has been retired from Scotland's Lothian and Borders Police for several years. He's been retired so long that the Lothian and Borders Police no longer exists; it's now Police Scotland. But all of his former colleagues are now a part of this "new" police force, and it's not really true that Rebus is retired. Being a detective is his life and he won't retire until that final exit music plays and he draws his last breath.

He keeps his hand in because his former colle
Thebooktrail
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well there's nothing stopping Rebus is there?

Coming back on the scene for a cold case and getting into some really troubling lies.

Set in Edinburgh, it's familiar territory as far as the city goes, but there's nothing familiar about what Rebus finds in this novel.

Tip: Venture yee not into Poretoun woods near the city. Oh they're fictional thank goodness. Just as well.

Loved the warmth and humour of the novel that only Rebus/Rankin can give. I've been on a 'wacky race' around Edinburgh a few times
Eric
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
In A House of Lies, Ian Rankin's retired police detective is brought back for another novel.

An abandoned vehicle is found hidden in the woods and inside of the trunk is the decomposed body of a male, handcuffed at the ankles.

It is believed the body may be that of a man missing for over a decade and from a case where the mother of the missing man has accused police of covering up and botching the case of her missing son.

Because of the accusations of police cover-up, Malcolm Fox is brought in t
Sid Nuncius
Rebus may have been told that he is in a “managed decline,” but I’m delighted to say that Ian Rankin certainly isn’t. In A House Of Lies is excellent.

When long-dead body is discovered in an abandoned car Siobhan Clarke and Malcolm Fox are part of the MIT investigating. Rebus, now well retired from the force, was part of the original investigation and becomes involved in this, too – not always to the delight of the team. It’s classic Rankin: complex, well structured and nuanced, with his three ce
David Gooch
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A dead body from an investigation years back turns up in a car and what are the chances that retired DI Rebus will know who he is and about the case? Odds on if you know anything about Rebus from previous experience.
Once he knows about the body, he does his usual of trying to get in on the case and find out what's going on. Mainly to cover his back as he was on the original investigation and also because, as we know with Rebus, he just can't help himself. The current crew investigating do their
David Harris
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a House of Lies is, of course, the latest book about John Rebus, sometime DI with Lothian and Borders Police. That will be enough for most people to just decide to read - it would (was) be enough for me. But as this series evolves, Rankin continues to develop his characters and to address new challenges and there is a fair bit here to analyse, so please indulge me.

Rebus is now retired and in declining health. Ill with COPD (the two flights of stairs to his flat becoming "a definite issue"), h
Susan Johnson
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Rebus may be retired from the police force but he certainly is still detecting. A dead body is found in an abandoned car with a little quirk to it. It turns out to be linked to a case Rebus investigated unsuccessfully years ago. The investigation was a scandal in itself with all types of police misbehavior and cover-ups. The body is never found until now.

Rebus' protege, Detective Inspector Siobhan Clarke, is involved in the new investigation so she draws him in. It turns out that he has a lot
Helaine
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am an avid Inspector Rebus fan. When Rebus left the police, I hoped that wasn't the end of the series. And it wasn't. This is the best post-retirement book so far. I loved it.
Ron Chicaferro
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a joy the Rebus series has been over years. He's a bit slower now, he's a retired copper now and he has COPD. Does the slow the man down? Of course not! The bulk of the investigative work (and heavy lifting) is in the capable hands of Rebus protege D.I. Siobhan Clarke - she is sort of the younger female equivalent of Rebus. The story is a murder case - it's some years old and Siobhan has her hands full working the case - Rebus helps out as best he can but its Siobhan's case to work. The usu ...more
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥

Crime is not something I often read but I do enjoy watching the John Rebus series on TV so when I noticed this book I thought I'd give it a read.

The story opens up well with the discovery of a dead body. It engaged my attention and had me interested. A private investigator locked in a car and hidden in the woods but it seems the murder happened years ago causing the reopening of an old investigation that to be honest became a little tedious for my tastes. I didn't especially engage with the char
eyes.2c
A crime read treat!

A slow start but really heated up as Rebus orchestrates in the background. A dead body missing for some years is found in a rusty burnt out car, the ACU: Police Scotland’s Anti-Corruption Unit is still on the tail of Siobhan Clarke, dirty cops are in full bloom and then there's Rebus lending a hand. A skeleton in situ and skeletons in the closet make for an interesting read.
Catching the threads and pulling them together is a challenge and in the end our man Rebus stitches the
Diane Dickson
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The writing was excellent of course. The characters are quite a number of old friends. The plot is intriguing and fairly complicated but unrolls to a very satisfactory conclusion.

I enjoyed it but do you know what - I really wish Rebus wasn't retired and he wasn't sick. It makes me sad when I read the books and really with a crime book I don't want to feel like that. However, I am still a fan but the trouble is what is wrong with him is not going away so we can't hope for improvement. Sad.
Mike
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No need to say anything. Rankin and Rebus are a winning combination.
Sophie Eminson
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Okay, I understand that Ian Rankin can write crime. That much is obvious. But In A House of Lies has been coined a ‘thriller’, and honestly, the first half of the novel is about as thrilling as my Monday evenings. Rankin takes a lot of time setting the scene with so many different characters, both from Rebus’ past and quite a few new faces, which ultimately leads to too many threads leading to the investigation. In A House of Lies by Ian Rankin is out now from Orion Books. My rating: 2.5*.

The st
Elaine Tomasso
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Netgalley and Orion Publishing Group for an advance copy of In a House of Lies, the twenty-second novel to feature Edinburgh based former DI John Rebus of Police Scotland.

When an abandoned car is found down a gully in some woods further investigation uncovers a skeleton in the boot. DI Siobhan Clarke is seconded to the investigative team, closely followed by Rebus inserting himself into the investigation because not only does he know who the skeleton is he was part of the t
Anne Fenn
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-fiction, rebus
Oh no I've finished this book! I hate to see those words concerning Rankin and Rebus, I loved every minute back in their company. It does have a very different slant on Rebus, he's seen through the prism of past years and years of work, when we saw him doggedly solving cases no one else can. Now he really is retired but one of the cases he was involved with many years ago has come under renewed study, as the body in question has turned up. So many derogatory comments about John, or Rebus, by thi ...more
Steve Donoghue
You know you're dealing with a first-rate police-procedural author when a) their signature character has long since become just a little bit silly but you keep eagerly reading anyway, and b) their latest novel can be almost entirely carried by wonderfully-crafted characters who aren't the signature character ... and that's the case with this latest Rebus novel. Here's my full review:
Joell
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was overjoyed at the return of Rebus. I've missed him on my long walks in the city. This story was a perfect return and with the added bonus of the whole cast - even Brillo! The reader was perfect and I'm only sorry that I've finished the book!
Kathy
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this free preview available from Amazon is short, it was a welcome reunion with Siobhan and Rebus. Really looking forward to full book.
Goodreads Librari...: Cover needed 3 17 Dec 31, 2018 01:45PM
AKA Jack Harvey.

Born in the Kingdom of Fife in 1960, Ian Rankin graduated from the University of Edinburgh in 1982 and then spent three years writing novels when he was supposed to be working towards a PhD in Scottish Literature. His first Rebus novel was published in 1987; the Rebus books are now translated into 22 languages and are bestsellers on several continents.

Ian Rankin has been elected a

Inspector Rebus (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1)
  • Hide and Seek (Inspector Rebus, #2)
  • Tooth and Nail (Inspector Rebus, #3)
  • Strip Jack (Inspector Rebus, #4)
  • The Black Book (Inspector Rebus, #5)
  • Mortal Causes (Inspector Rebus, #6)
  • Let It Bleed (Inspector Rebus, #7)
  • Black and Blue (Inspector Rebus, #8)
  • The Hanging Garden (Inspector Rebus, #9)
  • Dead Souls (Inspector Rebus, #10)
“Gie’d her a total riddy,” 0 likes
“I went to the Oxford Bar first off, but they said they hardly see you these days. I’m at the age where nothing should surprise me, but” 0 likes