Start by marking “La lotería” as Want to Read:
La lotería

La lotería

Este relato de Shirley Jackson sigue estremeciendo y perturbando al público lector décadas después de su primera publicación, en 1948. Por momentos enigmática y desgarradora, La Lotería plantea cuestiones problemáticas sobre la conformidad, la tradición y la violencia ritualizada que
pueden perseguir aun al pueblo más bucólico y pacífico.
Esta adaptación gráfica de Miles Hym
Published 2018 by Nórdica (first published September 14th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about La lotería, please sign up.
Jessc I agree. I was really disappointed in that section of the book. I understand it is his interpretation, but I feel it was unnecessary for the plot. As…moreI agree. I was really disappointed in that section of the book. I understand it is his interpretation, but I feel it was unnecessary for the plot. As a former English teacher, I agree that it will prevent English teachers from being able to use it to reach reluctant and struggling readers.(less)

Julie
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
It all started about a week ago.

I was headed out on a walk, and before I even made it to the base of my driveway, I felt someone's foot give a hard shove to my lower back.

I fell onto my knees, sparing my face from hitting the concrete with the palms of my hands, then quickly turned my head to the right, just in time to sense the image of a full-figured gal, walking straight toward the garbage bins.

“Tart,” she sneered, as she blew a lung's worth of smoke out of the left side of her mouth. As sh
David Schaafsma
"Tradition!" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

Hyman is Jackson's grandson. He was three when she died. The main thing he knows about her is her writing, chief among which is one high school freshman English staple for the past few decades, "The Lottery," which illustrator Hyman did not illustrate for more than thirty years of knowing about it. Too big a mountain to climb, maybe. One day it just came to him how to do it. The story is not just something from the canon, though, it is a much deserved class
Cristina Leitón
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Leí el relato de Shirley en la universidad y, a pesar de haber conocido muchas obras posteriores que beben de ella antes de leer la "original", por así decirlo, me sorprendió igualmente al llegar al final. La dureza de la historia y la crítica al concepto de "tradición" y todo lo que comporta me dejó un poquito trastocada y replanteándome muchas cosas. Esta adaptación a novela gráfica me ha parecido acertada a muchos niveles: respeta el texto original y, además, le añade el extra de las imágenes ...more
Cyndi
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course the story is chilling, but so is the art. Jackson's grandson is the artist and it is obvious that he respected her talent. The story was originally written in 1948, so it is the threshold of more stories like it. When you read it you'll think of movies, tv shows and novels that used this formula.
Kristina Horner
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I randomly stumbled across this graphic novel in an airport and read the whole thing in the store, standing up, between flights.

I first read 'The Lottery' back in high school and was completely taken with the story, so I was excited to experience it in this new way many years later. I thought the art style was aptly bland in all the right ways, letting the story's quiet beginning sneak up on you as tension rises. It definitely embodied "Random Town, USA". I liked how casual everyone looked to ma
Negin
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one really
It’s October and I figured that I’ve never read anything for Halloween, so I decided to give this a try. I haven’t read the original short story, “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson. This version is a graphic novel adaptation created by her grandson. I was looking so forward to reading this, having heard so much about her books. Since I haven’t read the original, I cannot compare the two, but honestly, I thought this book was mundane and really quite boring.
Brierly
I'm going to go ahead and give this one high marks because I love it as a project. Grandson provides graphic novel adaptation of his grandmother's writing . . . in this case, grandmother is Shirley Jackson. I am admittedly a huge fan of Jackson, especially my favorite We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

Don't just read this. Read "The Lottery" several times and fall in love with the understated atmosphere. Then, read Hyman's beautiful tribute to the grandmother who passed away when he was three y
Elizabeth A
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, graphix
I love the original short story, and I knew better, but was intrigued. The author is Shirely Jackson's grandson, and the introduction where he talks about the family traditions was an interesting read. However. I really liked the art in this, the colors, the ambiance, were all good, but somehow it did not work in toto. It might be because it lacks the punch of the original story, and something is lost in the adaptation. If you have yet to read the original, skip this and read that.
Michelle Morrell
A quiet and affecting version of The Lottery, written and illustrated by Shirley Jackson's grandson. The art is quite lovely, just a little too much repetitive standing and gazing. Definitely worth a read.
Megan
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Having recently read The Lottery, I was excited to find a graphic novel adaptation of the short story. This one didn't really meet my expectations for a few reasons.

I think Hyman did a fantastic job of capturing and illustrating the somber, unsettling, and downright creepy mood of the story. I got some flashbacks to M. Night Shyamalan's The Village; a town which obviously drew a lot of inspiration from Jackson's quaint yet deeply fucked up town.

The art quality is fantastic. The coloring, charact
Megan Marvel
I liked this graphic novel as a nod to the short story, but the lack of text took away from the emotional tugs I wanted, even the suspense. The art is lovely, but it doesn't tell the story. I needed more. More of what they were feeling, their anxieties, their nervous excited energy for what's about to come. I could clearly see fear and apprehension, but that's it. I was hoping this graphic novel would give me a more well-rounded perspective on the town. Alas.

Some have called this dystopian, but
Tina
Amazing artwork in this graphic novel adapted by Shirley Jackson's grandson. The pictures show the tension & fear. Words are not necessary to feel the emotions in this version.
Aida Lopez
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Basada en el estremecedor relato de #shirleyjackson y adaptado gráficamente por su nieto Miles Hyman.
📚La historia sucede en una pequeña ciudad de EEUU de apenas 300 habitantes.

🖋La lotería se celebra todos los años el 26 de junio.Participan todas las familias.

📌Es un relato duro,muy duro.Trata sobre la conformidad,las costumbres y la enajenación.

📌Es difícil explicar lo que sentí,solo me había pasado una vez algo parecido ,salvando las diferencias (habló de sensaciones)y fue con la película.

🎥 “L
Marc Pastor
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Edward Hopper meets Shirley Jackson. Esplèndida adaptació gràfica del relat esgarrifós de l’autora de Hill House.
Pur american gothic, sense concessions, bròfec, amb una il·lustració perfecta per a la narració, gairebé com de fotografies antigues.
Reading is my Escape
Jackson's grandson takes on her classic story...
Miles Hyman is the grandson of Shirley Jackson, and he has adapted her classic story into a graphic novel. The artwork is gorgeous and the faces full of expression. The graphic novel format adds another dimension to this creepy tale.

There is a bit of brief nudity which I don't really see the need for, but it isn't too graphic (just a woman taking a bath).

I enjoyed this version and it stays faithful to the original. Definitely a must-read if you
Maria Teresa
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
La Fotoreseña completa en http://inthenevernever.blogspot.com.e...

description

description
Michael
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequential-art
Miles Hyman hat einen unverwechselbaren Stil (gleich auf der ersten Seite von THE LOTTERY erkannte ich den Stil wieder, der mir schon von seiner Umsetzung von Elroys BLACK DAHLIA als Graphic Novel bekannt war). Die Artwork gefällt mir sehr gut, ist liebevoll koloriert und liefert ein detailgetreues Abbild der 40er und 50er Jahre - jedenfalls soweit ich es zu beurteilen vermag. Die Bilder zeichnen eine ländliche Idylle, in der die Welt noch in Ordnung ist - sofern man einmal von der Lotterie absi ...more
Nanette
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Reading books leaves one to use their imagination to visualize the progression of a story. Graphic novels picture that progression. Read The Lottery awhile ago, so I decided to read the graphic novel. The graphics within the story really added to its tension. I enjoyed that addition. I also did not look forward to reading a graphic novel and I am glad I did. It added to the description of the storyline. I think graphic novels can add dimension to certain topics. I also enjoyed the fact that the
dirt
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like everyone else's review: Just as disturbing as the book.
Chelsey
I love that this was done by her grandson!

Mehsi
Read this one in Dutch, but will be writing my review in English.

I read this story a few years prior, it was a shocking and amazing story, and so of course I had to try out the graphic novel of it when I spotted it at the library on Saturday. I was hoping it would be a great adaptation of a haunting story, and in a way it was. But I think that due to me knowing what is going to happen the thrill wasn't there. The excitement, the what will happen? from the first time has disappeared.

Welcome to a
Shayne Bauer
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read this haunting story in many years, but this version made me recall all of the uncomfortable feelings from my initial read. The book is illustrated by Jackson's own grandson who delivers the story through simple images. If you are a fan of the original, you'll want to check this one out.
Kris
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The short story “The Lottery” is stunning and chilling. The graphic adaptation does not do it justice. Skip this, and read the original.
Paul
The graphic novel version added nothing to the story and I think detracted from the tension of the original.
Shayna Ross
It is just simply impossible to compare to the original story that inputs such dread and fear into your blood. The graphic adaptation is fine, as an adaptation, but don't read this unless you have definitely read the original story.
Melissa
I keep a copy of The Lottery in the drawer next to my bed. It is one I printed out years ago and I enjoy pulling it out and reading it. I was a bit hesitant to read this graphic version when I first heard about it but decided to give it a chance. It stays true to the original story and the pictures are a bit dark but worked great for this story.
Katie Logonauts
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Interesting adaptation, but why the nudity? It added nothing to the story other than making it difficult for teachers to use it.
Chris
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horrifying mundanity, that is probably the best description of The Lottery. A [very] small town in rural [presumably] America every year holds the Lottery. Everyone gathers, everyone draws, and there is one pick. (view spoiler) The bizarre and horrifying part of it is that it is just what you do. It's a part of life like mowing your lawn and that's about how people think about it. There is talk of other towns and cities no long ...more
Neil R. Coulter
This was sitting up on a shelf in the library, and I couldn't resist taking it home. I often find graphic-novel adaptations of literary works to be difficult--there just isn't space to put a whole novel into that format, and for me, losing all the words removes a lot of the joy, even when the illustrations are great. So I was intrigued by an adaptation of such a short, spare story. Maybe it would work better.

I think it does, but it's still no substitute for the original story. Miles Hyman's visu
anaïs
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
leí el archiconocido cuento de shirley jackson hace unos meses cuando, por halloween, comenzó a aparecer la versión publicada por el new yorker por todos lados en internet. sencillamente me maravilló por la simpleza del tema pero la crudeza y atrocidad que alcanza. es, sin duda, uno de esos cuentos redondos. la adaptación visual realizada por el propio nieto de la autora sin duda se mantiene fiel el espíritu de la narración original. las caracterizaciones, los colores y algunos de los encuadres, ...more
  • Poe: Stories and Poems: A Graphic Novel Adaptation
  • Le jardin de minuit
  • BUZZ!
  • Anne of Green Gables: A Graphic Novel
  • Luisa: Ici et là
  • The Lindbergh Child (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • Come Again
  • Tetris: The Games People Play
  • Genius
  • Daybreak
  • Dogs of War
  • The Mark of the Beast
Shirley Jackson was an influential American author. A popular writer in her time, her work has received increasing attention from literary critics in recent years. She has influenced such writers as Stephen King, Nigel Kneale, and Richard Matheson.

She is best known for her dystopian short story, "The Lottery" (1948), which suggests there is a deeply unsettling underside to bucolic, smalltown Ameri