Start by marking “La lotería” as Want to Read:
La lotería

La lotería

Este relato de Shirley Jackson sigue estremeciendo y perturbando al público lector décadas después de su primera publicación, en 1948. Por momentos enigmática y desgarradora, La Lotería plantea cuestiones problemáticas sobre la conformidad, la tradición y la violencia ritualizada que pueden perseguir aún al pueblo más bucólico y pacífico.
Esta adaptación gráfica de Miles Hy
Published 2018 by Nórdica (first published September 14th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about La lotería, please sign up.
Jessc I agree. I was really disappointed in that section of the book. I understand it is his interpretation, but I feel it was unnecessary for the plot. As …moreI agree. I was really disappointed in that section of the book. I understand it is his interpretation, but I feel it was unnecessary for the plot. As a former English teacher, I agree that it will prevent English teachers from being able to use it to reach reluctant and struggling readers.(less)

Start your review of La lotería
Julie
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It all started about a week ago.

I was headed out on a walk, and before I even made it to the base of my driveway, I felt someone's foot give a hard shove to my lower back.

I fell onto my knees, sparing my face from hitting the concrete with the palms of my hands, then quickly turned my head to the right, just in time to sense the image of a full-figured gal, walking straight toward the garbage bins.

“Tart,” she sneered, as she blew a lung's worth of smoke out of the left side of her mouth. As sh
David Schaafsma
"Tradition!" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

Hyman is Jackson's grandson. He was three when she died. The main thing he knows about her is her writing, chief among which is one high school freshman English staple for the past few decades, "The Lottery," which illustrator Hyman did not illustrate for more than thirty years of knowing about it. Too big a mountain to climb, maybe. One day it just came to him how to do it. The story is not just something from the canon, though, it is a much deserved class
Kristina Horner
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I randomly stumbled across this graphic novel in an airport and read the whole thing in the store, standing up, between flights.

I first read 'The Lottery' back in high school and was completely taken with the story, so I was excited to experience it in this new way many years later. I thought the art style was aptly bland in all the right ways, letting the story's quiet beginning sneak up on you as tension rises. It definitely embodied "Random Town, USA". I liked how casual everyone looked to ma
Cyndi
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course the story is chilling, but so is the art. Jackson's grandson is the artist and it is obvious that he respected her talent. The story was originally written in 1948, so it is the threshold of more stories like it. When you read it you'll think of movies, tv shows and novels that used this formula.
Teresa
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miles Hyman, Shirley Jackson’s grandson, has written a memorable five-page preface to his adaptation of her famous story. In it he recounts a ceremonial family tradition of the playing of Jackson’s ornate Victorian music box. Since I recently reread The Lottery, it was easy for me to immediately catch the contrasts I believe he was making with the ritual of the plain wooden box in his grandmother’s story.

As he also explains in the preface, he has retold The Lottery faithfully but in “an entirel
Brierly
I'm going to go ahead and give this one high marks because I love it as a project. Grandson provides graphic novel adaptation of his grandmother's writing . . . in this case, grandmother is Shirley Jackson. I am admittedly a huge fan of Jackson, especially my favorite We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

Don't just read this. Read "The Lottery" several times and fall in love with the understated atmosphere. Then, read Hyman's beautiful tribute to the grandmother who passed away when he was three y
Negin
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one really
It’s October and I figured that I’ve never read anything for Halloween, so I decided to give this a try. I haven’t read the original short story, “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson. This version is a graphic novel adaptation created by her grandson. I was looking so forward to reading this, having heard so much about her books. Since I haven’t read the original, I cannot compare the two, but honestly, I thought this book was mundane and really quite boring.
Elizabeth A
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphix, 2016
I love the original short story, and I knew better, but was intrigued. The author is Shirely Jackson's grandson, and the introduction where he talks about the family traditions was an interesting read. However. I really liked the art in this, the colors, the ambiance, were all good, but somehow it did not work in toto. It might be because it lacks the punch of the original story, and something is lost in the adaptation. If you have yet to read the original, skip this and read that.
Michelle Morrell
A quiet and affecting version of The Lottery, written and illustrated by Shirley Jackson's grandson. The art is quite lovely, just a little too much repetitive standing and gazing. Definitely worth a read.
⭐ Roxie |The Book Slayer| Voorhees ⭐
Yep, definitely my favorite Jackson story.
Megan
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Having recently read The Lottery, I was excited to find a graphic novel adaptation of the short story. This one didn't really meet my expectations for a few reasons.

I think Hyman did a fantastic job of capturing and illustrating the somber, unsettling, and downright creepy mood of the story. I got some flashbacks to M. Night Shyamalan's The Village; a town which obviously drew a lot of inspiration from Jackson's quaint yet deeply fucked up town.

The art quality is fantastic. The coloring, charact
Megan Hornberger
I liked this graphic novel as a nod to the short story, but the lack of text took away from the emotional tugs I wanted, even the suspense. The art is lovely, but it doesn't tell the story. I needed more. More of what they were feeling, their anxieties, their nervous excited energy for what's about to come. I could clearly see fear and apprehension, but that's it. I was hoping this graphic novel would give me a more well-rounded perspective on the town. Alas.

Some have called this dystopian, but
Tina
Amazing artwork in this graphic novel adapted by Shirley Jackson's grandson. The pictures show the tension & fear. Words are not necessary to feel the emotions in this version. ...more
Chelsey
I love that this was done by her grandson!

Nanette
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Reading books leaves one to use their imagination to visualize the progression of a story. Graphic novels picture that progression. Read The Lottery awhile ago, so I decided to read the graphic novel. The graphics within the story really added to its tension. I enjoyed that addition. I also did not look forward to reading a graphic novel and I am glad I did. It added to the description of the storyline. I think graphic novels can add dimension to certain topics. I also enjoyed the fact that the
dirt
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like everyone else's review: Just as disturbing as the book.
Mehsi
Read this one in Dutch, but will be writing my review in English.

I read this story a few years prior, it was a shocking and amazing story, and so of course I had to try out the graphic novel of it when I spotted it at the library on Saturday. I was hoping it would be a great adaptation of a haunting story, and in a way it was. But I think that due to me knowing what is going to happen the thrill wasn't there. The excitement, the what will happen? from the first time has disappeared.

Welcome to a
Licha
I have not read the original version so I don't know how this stands in comparison or as a companion piece. The graphic novel was actually done by Shirley Jackson's grandson and he writes that it took him many years to finally decide to take the story on.

There's a lot of build-up to the actual story so not much action happens for a good two-thirds of the story. When we finally get to the actual lottery, you get an idea of what is about to happen but it still made me gasp to actually see it.

The
Shayne Bauer
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read this haunting story in many years, but this version made me recall all of the uncomfortable feelings from my initial read. The book is illustrated by Jackson's own grandson who delivers the story through simple images. If you are a fan of the original, you'll want to check this one out.
Kristen
This graphic novel was a nice rendition of the original story. There wasn’t much dialogue or worded descriptions, but that added to the tension of the story for me.

The artwork was good, but all of the men and all of the women looked the same. Maybe that was on purpose since there was a guide in the front with some of the characters’ names and a brief description.

I didn’t find the nudity necessary and it could’ve been a lot more graphic at the end.
Jeff Miller
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
If you've read the original story the you will enjoy this - lovely adaptation and understanding of the text...which he may have a fairly unique angle on, being Shirley Jackson's Grandson...If you haven't read the original then put this down and go and do that first. Trust me.
Melissa
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
My local library has gotten a few graphic novelizations of classics lately, and this seemed a great way to revisit an old classic in a new way. It still holds the ominous buildup of the original, and the graphics done by Jackson’s grandson work great with the original story.
Khalid Albaih
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Big yes!
Art, story A1
Kris
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The short story “The Lottery” is stunning and chilling. The graphic adaptation does not do it justice. Skip this, and read the original.
Paul
The graphic novel version added nothing to the story and I think detracted from the tension of the original.
Shayna Ross
It is just simply impossible to compare to the original story that inputs such dread and fear into your blood. The graphic adaptation is fine, as an adaptation, but don't read this unless you have definitely read the original story.
Steph
This is a nicely-done little graphic novel. But I have to admit, I preferred the brief preface to the adaptation itself. Having read Shirley (a historical thriller about Shirley Jackson and her family), I'm enchanted by the idea of eccentric Shirley Jackson and Stanley Hyman living in their cozy home at the campus of Bennington College in rural Vermont, hosting other artists and making art.
No one knew it then, but these were members of a disappearing tribe, an endangered species in the Americ
Reading is my Escape
Jackson's grandson takes on her classic story...
Miles Hyman is the grandson of Shirley Jackson, and he has adapted her classic story into a graphic novel. The artwork is gorgeous and the faces full of expression. The graphic novel format adds another dimension to this creepy tale.

There is a bit of brief nudity which I don't really see the need for, but it isn't too graphic (just a woman taking a bath).

I enjoyed this version and it stays faithful to the original. Definitely a must-read if you
Katie Logonauts
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Interesting adaptation, but why the nudity? It added nothing to the story other than making it difficult for teachers to use it.
Chris
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horrifying mundanity, that is probably the best description of The Lottery. A [very] small town in rural [presumably] America every year holds the Lottery. Everyone gathers, everyone draws, and there is one pick. (view spoiler) The bizarre and horrifying part of it is that it is just what you do. It's a part of life like mowing your lawn and that's about how people think about it. There is talk of other towns and cities no lon ...more

• Orwell
  • A Revolução dos Bichos
  • Topiel
  • To Kill a Mockingbird: A Graphic Novel
  • Języczni. Co język robi naszej głowie
  • Le ragazze del Pillar (Le ragazze del Pillar, #1)
  • Tamara de Lempicka
  • Girlsplaining
  • Guardati dal beluga magico
  • Pigiama Computer Biscotti
  • Poufne
  • Pomeriggio d'estate
  • Nymphéas noirs
Shirley Jackson was an influential American author. A popular writer in her time, her work has received increasing attention from literary critics in recent years. She has influenced such writers as Stephen King, Nigel Kneale, and Richard Matheson.

She is best known for her dystopian short story, "The Lottery" (1948), which suggests there is a deeply unsettling underside to bucolic, smalltown Ameri