Start by marking “We Are Displaced” as Want to Read:
We Are Displaced

We Are Displaced

Nobel Peace Prize-winner Malala Yousafzai will start with her own story of displacement as an Internally Displaced Person to show what it means to lose your home, your community, and the only world you've ever known. She will also share the personal stories of some of the girls she has met on her various journeys to refugee camps and the cities where refugee girls and thei ...more
Published September 4th 2018 by Little, Brown

To ask other readers questions about We Are Displaced, please sign up.
Susan Taylor I'd say yes for mature 12/13 year old girls. There is violence and references to rape and sex trafficking. There is much optimism and determination,…moreI'd say yes for mature 12/13 year old girls. There is violence and references to rape and sex trafficking. There is much optimism and determination, too. (less)

Jiny S
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Malala Yousafzai is the youngest-ever Nobel Prize laureate, known for fighting for girls' rights to education in impoverished countries that have experience ghastly war atrocities and human right violations. She came into the public spotlight around 2013, when she survive a bullet to the head when the Taliban decided to retaliate her activism.

There’s no one more qualified than Malala to give a voice to the girls displaced in countries of war, violence, and incessant danger. These girls have the
From BBC Radio 4 - Book of the week:

All that differentiates the young women whose stories we'll hear this week is that they found themselves in the middle of a conflict which forc
Sushil Subedi
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a powerful collection of stories. Emotional, heart wrenching & uplifting at the same time. After I finished reading, it created a void inside and left me thinking what if I was in place of Maria or Ajida?
Bettie☯
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: BBC listeners
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: Laura

Description: Malala Yousafzai collected the stories in We Are Displaced to show that refugees are ordinary people caught up in extraordinary circumstances. As the poet Warsan Shire says in her poem Home, "No one leaves home unless home is the mouth of a shark. You only run for the border when you see the whole city running as well."

Abby
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book sharing the stories of young women who were forced to leave their homes, but survived against all odds and fought for those, like them, needed advocates. I am so grateful that this book exists, that its proceeds go to the Malala fund, and that all the stories are diverse and real and complicated. There's also a section on how you can help at the end. REQUIRED READING, FOR PEOPLE IN POLITICS ESPECIALLY.

Like the book I finished right before diving into this one – "THEY CA
Madalina G
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing, emotional collection of stories! But these are not the stories of fiction, they are the stories of fact, of young women who have left their worn torn homes and travelled in dangerous conditions to reach a small level of freedom and safety. And during this whole time they were treated as if they were less than human, with no rights, with no feelings. There is Sabreen who survived a harrowing journey to Italy in a small fishing boat. There is Mariá, who had to flee her home in the ...more
Tamara Fuentes
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arcs, signed-copies
Heartbreaking and ultimately life changing, Malala gives a platform to a group of girls who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to get their story told. It's a fast and easy read, perfect for anyone to pick up and learn more about these young women who have had to flee their home for safety. Each story is powerful and equally moving, leaving you thinking and wanting to do everything for them. While the stories can be hard to read at times, they leave with you hope that these women succeed in ...more
Diana Passy
"Nunca deixa de me chocar que as pessoas considerem a paz algo garantido. Sou grata por ela todos os dias. Nem todo mundo tem essa sorte. Milhões de homens, mulheres e crianças testemunham guerras todos os dias. A realidade dessas pessoas envolve violência, lares destruídos, vidas inocentes perdidas. A única escolha que têm para se manter seguras é ir embora. Então elas 'escolhem' ficar longe de casa. Só que não é exatamente uma escolha."

"Muita gente acha que refugiados deveriam sentir apenas du
Esha Tahir
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Amazing book...i love it!!!
Jojo
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyday we hear stories of more refugees coming to our shores, but by writing in the first person about real women who have struggled and survived and about why they ended up in such awful circumstances it humanises what could be just a numbers game. A much needed book to remind us that 'but for the grace of God go I'.
Jeana
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is heartbreaking, and everyone needs to read it. The stories of the girls and women need to be heard so we can truly understand the horrors these girls and women faced in their home countries. I actually cried through one of the stories. This is a powerful, eye-opening book. Now what can we do?
Jessica
Many people think refugees should feel only two things: gratitude toward the countries that granted them asylum and relief to be safe. I don't think most people understand the tangle of emotions that comes with leaving behind everything you know. They are not only fleeing violence—which is why so many are forced to leave, and is what's shown on the news—but they are escaping their countries, their beloved homes. That seems to get lost in the conversation about refugees and internally displaced p
Joanne Corkett
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Noelle Walsh
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book created a storm of emotions in me: heartbreak, fear and inspiration. I was left wondering "What if that was me? What would I do if I was in their shoes?" and I honestly have no answers to those questions. This book needs to be read by everyone. Sometimes, people need to be reminded that refugees are people too.
Michelle
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
I LOVED this. I think this is an important book--it is short and easy to read, the proceeds go to a good cause, and the book goes a long way to humanize refugees. I think sometimes we get very caught up in thinking about or feeling like we are being "invaded" and viewing refugees as a horde, that we lose sight that they are people, who had reasons to do what they do. This book profiles several young women who had to leave their homes for various reasons, and I really feel that it would be diffic ...more
Megan Beneteau
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The most powerful collection of stories I've ever read. It was heart breaking and heartening at the same time. It should be required reading in schools everywhere, it's really reminds people that behind the numbers in the news about refugees are humans with stories of their own
Ines Bentchikou
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book, I just would like to quote Einstein as Malala did: « I am almost ashamed of leaving in such peace while all the rest struggle and suffer. ». In my opinion, this summarises it all...
Greg Nybo
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The girls stories help illustrate the difficulties of losing your home and everything familiar.
Christa Robertson
Victory out of tragedy

My wish is that this book is read by people who can't see that there is a human being behind each displaced person. That there is a story behind every life. That we all want the same thing, a life worth living.
Stella
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An important book that everyone should read
Miss Laura
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I bought this because I wanted to make a donation to the fund, but would hugely recommend, especially for people with young girls wanting to share more about displaced people around the world and show the value of female education.
Alex
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant accessible insight into what life is really like for some of the millions of refugees and displaced people around the world. This book would make a perfect introduction to this topic for KS3 or 4, early secondary school pupils. Malala, as ever, is an inspiration.
Diana
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a well written book. Particularly beneficial for those still struggling to understand the extent of their privilege.
Nina Keller
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly moving stories from 9 brave young women who have been displaced by violence.

Malala-Pakistan
Analisa-Guatemala
Marie Claire-Congo
Ajida- Myanmar
Farah-Uganda

“Many people think refugees should feel only 2 things: Gratitude toward the country which granted them asylum, and relief to be safe. I don’t think many people understand the tangle of emotions that comes from leaving behind everything you know. They are not only feeling viol
Samantha N.
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book while browsing for a title in the World Perspectives genre at Barnes & Noble. I read Malala Yousafzai's first book a couple years back and was (and still am) inspired by her powerful story. Her second book certainly did not disappoint.

Malala Yousafzai, the youngest winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, was shot by the Taliban as a teen in Pakistan in 2012. Since then, she has become an advocate for girl’s education around the globe. Malala begins this book by briefly describin
Ruby
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: january
"I was displaced, and I choose to use the memories of that time in my life to help me connect with the 68.5 million refugees and displaced persons around the world. To see them, to help them, to share their stories."

"I understood what it meant to be displaced from a young age, though I did not know the word. It was not until we left that place, when I was seven, that my mom finally gave it a name. "We're displaced," she told me. The word was new, but the feeling was not."

"Since that first rainy
Natasha (jouljet) Reid
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, poc, refugees
Malala starts off this book by recounting her experience of being displaced, when her and her family needed to flee Swat Valley for a time, before returning and then eventually getting shot and having to leave for a safer country. A very specific slice in her story, and one that she hasn't focused on before - she mentions being mindful of not rehashing her full story, which she has told elsewhere. She introduces the displacement experience, the how, the where, and the emotions of being uprooted ...more
Ben Truong
We Are Displaced: My Journey and Stories from Refugee Girls Around the World is part autobiography and an anthology of biographical stories about the displaced people – particularly girls around the world and was written and collected by Nobel Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai.

The first part of the book is an autobiographical telling of Malala Yousafzai experience with being displaced with her family and the many challenges and obstacles they had to overcome. It is a personal and heart-wrenching e
Brooke(worm)
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not a want, it's a need.

I cannot begin to describe how fundamentally important books that tell these kinds of stories are. People need to hear that these devastated and persecuted individuals do not take these extreme measures to achieve safety on a whim, but because they literally have no other choice available to them. It breaks my heart knowing that many of these people have run from such danger only to be met with the barest of civil welcomes, with little effort or care, but an
Ashley
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25/5 stars.

It's hard to rate something that is based so much on personal experiences, and I don't want to diminish or discount the tragedies that they went through. This book was very helpful for me as a crash course on what it means to be displaced, depicts some of the harrowing true stories, and even lists how someone can help. I would recommend it to anyone who is familiar with Malala's story and her organization, and wants to learn more about the current refugee crisis.

That being said, I b
Temecula Valley B...: New Book From Malala 5 5 Feb 01, 2019 04:27AM
  • Girl Rising: Changing the World One Girl at a Time
  • Don't Take Your Love to Town
  • Prisoner: My 544 Days in an Iranian Prison—Solitary Confinement, a Sham Trial, High-Stakes Diplomacy, and the Extraordinary Efforts It Took to Get Me Out
  • The Maternal Is Political: Women Writers at the Intersection of Motherhood and Social Change
  • Shock Treatment
  • Eyes of the World: Robert Capa, Gerda Taro, and the Invention of Modern Photojournalism
  • The Mad Potter: George E. Ohr, Eccentric Genius
  • The Private Journals of Edvard Munch: We Are Flames Which Pour Out of the Earth
  • Curious Pursuits: Occasional Writing 1970-2005
  • Women Artists: The Linda Nochlin Reader
  • Letters to Judy
  • Approaching Eye Level
  • Breakthrough!: How Three People Saved "Blue Babies" and Changed Medicine Forever
  • The Pink Glass Swan: Selected Essays on Feminist Art
  • The Selected Letters
  • Essays of the 1960s & 70s: Against Interpretation / Styles of Radical Will / On Photography / Illness as Metaphor / Uncollected Essays
  • Latest Readings
  • Dear Miss Breed: True Stories of the Japanese American Incarceration During World War II and a Librarian Who Made a Difference
Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani activist for female education and the youngest-ever Nobel Prize laureate. She is known for human rights advocacy, especially education of women in her native Swat Valley in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, northwest Pakistan, where the local Taliban had at times banned girls from attending school. Her advocacy has since grown into an international movement.
“I think it’s time that people update themselves, educate themselves, and inform themselves.” 0 likes