Start by marking “Played Your Eyes” as Want to Read:
Played Your Eyes

Played Your Eyes

A fantasy about a woman bequeathed an odd gift by a former lover who broke up with her, then died—his handwriting. Why did he do this and what does it mean? Find out in Jonathan Carroll's Played Your Eyes.

At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.
Published April 4th 2018 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Played Your Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Played Your Eyes

karen

His handwriting. He bequeathed his handwriting to her.

although it has only happened twice before today, one of my favorite things is seeing jonathan carroll’s name pop up on the free tor short page. and although i am "only" giving this story three stars, it’s yet another thought-provoking premise from one of my all-time favorite writers, so it's not that it was only "meh" or anything; it just felt like it needed a few more turns in carroll's rock-tumbler-brain to make it shine.

assorted nonspoil
Joe
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this story, but the twist was just too absurd for me. So two-thirds of it was a good story, but the reveal ruined the ending.
Fiona
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-n-sweet
I really liked this odd little story - particularly the ending. The description of falling in love was just gorgeous.
Divine
"A fantasy about a woman bequeathed an odd gift by a former lover who broke up with her, then died—his handwriting. Why did he do this and what does it mean?"
I was kind of feeling sad earlier for no apparent reason, and of course the only coping mechanism I did was to read! This wasn't a letdown at all and oddly heartwarming despite its predictability. (view spoiler)There's n
Virginie
Sadly, we race past the rare perfect times half attentively and too fast, seeing them, experiencing them, but not really.
A woman is gifted her former lover's handwriting after his death.
Very interesting concept; the story itself is a little too short to offer real depth but is nonetheless very enjoyable. The ending felt like the author is asking his readers: (view spoiler)
Brian
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. The idea is abstract, but I like that. The reveal at the end was one part beautiful and one part disappointing. I like and respect that the heroine stayed true to feel
herself and I like what she learned about her past, but her choice let me down a bit anyway. Otherwise great, winding, and satisfying.
JM
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not often that you read a tale where the main character actually ultimately refuses the call of adventure. I guess that's why this one was a short story and not a novel!
Irene
Sep 12, 2018 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
A perfect example of a good idea done unjust with bad writing and a heavy-handed overzealous plot. I had enough at page 20 (of 25) and don't actually care how it ends, as I don't think it ended soon enough.
Maria
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tor-com
Lovely author's voice, but the 'we only use ten percent of our brain' thing threw me off. I kept thinking about this lecture I once visited about the people with brain injuries or people lacking one of the cerebral hemispheres living normal lives and etc. Also I expected the story to be creepier. The premise is pretty creepy, and I thought it would be the story of dealing with the effect of the abusive relationship after the abuser's death, and it sort of was (?), only there it twist in the end ...more
karenbee
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tor-short
The lawyer, a handsome man with a gleaming bald head and the supreme slick confidence of a Rolls-Royce salesman, smiled a little condescendingly at her before answering, “He left you his handwriting. When we were drawing up his will, he happened to mention you loved his handwriting. So—now it’s yours.” The tone of his voice said: Okay, that’s that—the topic is finished.

I like Carroll's stuff but this felt a little under-baked.

(three and a half stars)
Michael
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely gentle, if strange, story which I much enjoyed. The premise of the story is rather unbelievable which is why it did not get the final star but, so what?
The Tor.com original stories online - usually two or three a month - are of the highest quality and free to read. Thank you Tor.com!
E.A.
What a wonderful and beautiful little gem. It perfectly expresses things I've felt about certain moments being perfect, and wanting the future to be a mystery I will discover. Also a piece I will return to when I need guidance on how to write a short story.
J.A.
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Future Works" by Idlewild
This is one of those stories I wouldn't have gotten from the library, but reading on tor.com is fine. It was pretty good. And had some unexpected twists. Very nice.
Ayesha
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There was no introduction to it.
It was just very short and very sweet.
Loved it.
Kate
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I liked it until the ending, which felt like a letdown. Her answer was understandable, though. I would've given the same answer.
Frank Becker
Can't get more out of it than an "ok".
Written ok, story ok; maybe a little fuzzy; emotional.
Leaves you sad and a little confused...
Marco
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is one of the most intriguing short stories I have read this year so far. It is hard to review without giving away too much, but this is the story of a woman bequeathed an odd fantastic gift by a former lover who broke up with her, then died: his handwriting. Why did he do this and what does it mean? Did he just gift her his handwriting or something more?
I am looking forward reading more by this author.
Jennifer Rice
Apr 05, 2018
Jourden Satterfield
Apr 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Jonathan Carroll (b. 1949) is an award-winning American author of modern fantasy and slipstream novels. His debut book, The Land of Laughs (1980), tells the story of a children’s author whose imagination has left the printed page and begun to influence reality. The book introduced several hallmarks of Carroll’s writing, including talking animals and worlds that straddle the thin line between reali ...more