Start by marking “Shame Is an Ocean I Swim Across” as Want to Read:
Shame Is an Ocean I Swim Across

Shame Is an Ocean I Swim Across

Beautiful and brutally honest, Mary Lambert's poetry is a beacon to anyone who's ever been knocked down--and picked themselves up again. In verse that deals with sexual assault, mental illness, and body acceptance, Ms. Lambert's Shame Is an Ocean I Swim Across emerges as an important new voice in poetry, providing strength and resilience even in the darkest of times.
Published October 23rd 2018 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Shame Is an Ocean I Swim Across, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shame Is an Ocean I Swim Across

Start your review of Shame Is an Ocean I Swim Across
Whitney Atkinson
This book was splendid and honest and even evoked tears. It's not my new favorite collection, but its discussion of being fat--just one part of such a diverse collection--really spoke to me. I also really enjoyed her writing about sexual assault and mental health and fame, but I most closely related to her poetry about body image. It's hard to quantify this book into a star rating because I consumed it in two sittings and had a pleasant time reading it and underlined a lot of stanzas, but the wr ...more
TK
AKA three hours of me sobbing
Ana
Trauma walks into a bar, orders a whiskey neat...
anna (readingpeaches)
anyway, the audiobook for this is absolutely gorgeous

tw: incest, childhood sexual abuse, rape, attempted suicide, fatphobia
Mariah
We spend our days in this macabre waltz
That because millions of people would break their legs to stand on a stage like this
That it is somehow not okay to cry

The thing about this type of poetry is it either hits home and shatters you or it is just sort of blah and you forget it as soon as you turn the page.

I really enjoyed a few of these, especially "It Does Not End", but I don't see myself picking this back up when I'm in a mood to be shattered by poetry.
Stacy Fetters
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The fury comes like a wave of ashes and I pretend I am the biggest, most powerful fucking Phoenix and as my hands wrap around the coffee mug in the water I pretend to teleport through time and space to that night and circle around his neck and I say no a whole fuck ton louder than I did."

Powerful poetry about heavy subjects. Speaks from the heart and attacks your soul.
Nathan Bartos
CW: rape, incest, self-harm, depression, suicide mention(s), anxiety
I am just so in love with everything Mary Lambert does. I didn't know there was an audiobook version until I was messing around on Scrib'd and just ended up stumbling across it. I'm so glad I did because Lambert is such a talented performer, and it was such a great surprise to get to hear her perform her poetry.
There are dark, emotional poems in here. There are happy, funny poems in here. But it never feels disjointe
Crystal
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guilty admission: I bought this book because Mary Lambert is my celebrity crush. Yeah, I know, celebrity crushes are lame but this woman is gorgeous, and insanely talented, and I'm only human, okay?!
But my God. These poems. THESE POEMS. I laughed, I cried, I laughed while I was crying...
These poems are the truth. The real, ugly, messy side of coping with trauma. Of surviving rape. Of surving bipolar (and if you dont think a person survives bipolar, DAILY, you sir, can eat a bag of dicks).
Amber
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Brought in by the beautiful cover and title, didn't know she was also a musician. ("She Keeps Me Warm")

I think there is a lot to be said about opening yourself up, and writing this candidly, but man, I didn't really attach to any of these poems. The cover title is the most beautiful, lyrical thing about this work... and that's it. "Tips for Fat Girls," I also thought was good.

So hooray for talking about trauma and depression and queer experience, but my boy had it right -
Emmkay
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads, poetry
I respected the rawness of Mary Lambert’s poems - she writes about having experienced abuse as a young child, rape, body image and mental health issues. It reminded me of Milk and Honey, or Heartberries. Not my preferred style, but one that is likely to speak to many readers.
Priscilla
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The audiobook of this was amazing. Loved that they put music under it, and I could honestly listen to Mary's voice for a lifetime. There were many bits in this that really touched me, either because they were beautifully written or I could just recognise myself in them or both, but I also quite loved looking into the mind of someone I am not at all like.
Tammy V
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
By chance, browsing, I picked this up at the library. Finished it and ordered my own copy. Finding a new poetic voice is a glorious gift, a treasure, a treat. And this was chance.

How to review poetry?

Lambert writes ruthlessly, directly, searingly. She uses repeating motifs (you notice the recurrence as you read through the chapbook which gives you a pleasing 160+ pages to chew on). The theme is incest, gang rape, hating your body, and, yes, even love, and redemption. I kn
Connie
My review is LIVE on my blog; it's a very personal review, and contains some discussion of my own mental health and body image issues, but I hope it encourages more people to pick up this collection.

My Review <3
chantel nouseforaname
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
So, I mean there were moments where I rolled my eyes at some of the content here and there were moments where I high-fived the air where I wish Mary's hand was because some of her lines were so on point and deep for me. I highlighted numerous moments like that.

You can tell that Mary feels things deeply, especially things where her body and the body of others who are constantly dissected fits. I can fuck with that. I love those kinds of deep thoughts! The rest of her issues around being newly famous, a
Kristin Huizenga
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an immensely painful read. Courageous, but ow. Some of her imagery is so beautiful, and when I was randomly flipping through poems at the store before I picked this up I managed to find maybe the only 3 funny lines in the book. The rest of it makes you feel like your organs are getting sucked out of your chest cavity and thrown into a blender, still attached to your esophagus, and then placed back in your body, which may have been how Mary Lambert felt while writing this poetry. If that ...more
Kari
cw: mentions of incest, childhood sexual abuse, rape, attempted suicide, fatphobia

this was intense.
this was as beautiful
as it was intense
as it was heartbreaking
as it was heartwarming.
this was true vulnerability and putting all of your cards on the table.
Lydia
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely and heartbreaking all the way through.

“I’ve never been so great at living,
I just repeatedly succeed at opening my eyes.”
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
This took me a while to read because I had to put it down after a few poems. Mary Lamberts writing is so honest and raw that I could every single emotion when I was reading and it made my heart ache.
Sapphire
Heavy. Heartbreaking. Raw. I feel like a bit of a puddle--exposed in those ways where I resonated with the pain she's experienced, and just so sad thinking about the things she's been through that are so, so removed from my life that I just can't fathom it. Her experiences with her father. I found her way of using analogy really striking, and often had to chew on certain poems for a little while to process them.

The only thing I felt was difficult was just how sad the book is. Which,
Irene
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
God Damn You, Sarah McLachlan was my favorite poem.

don’t look at me like that
like i can do better
like this sadness is a well that I jumped into on purpose
nothing is on purpose

I’ve never been so great at living,
I just repeatedly succeed at opening my eyes

I suppose
everyone is okay, depending on what your
calibration of pain is

i made myself a rose of clay around you, and now
/>
Beachesnbooks
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing

An impactful, striking, shiver-inducing autobiographical collection of poems that discuss sexual assault and its aftermath, falling in love, heartbreak, mental illness, and survival. There were several poems in this collection that made me pause, re-read, and take a moment to consider how Lambert used so few words to say so much. Her writing style is sometimes fluid and sometimes jarring; the poems are relatable and very readable but contain a lot of depth. I'd definitely re
Samantha A
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. An absolutely brilliant, beautiful, and emotional book of poetry. Do yourself a favor and listen to the audiobook. Mary had me crying for most of this book, and this is definitely a piece i will be revisiting many times.
Rachel
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking and raw and stunning.

I know so much of her pain and it makes me feel connected to her, like there is someone out there who hurts and loves just as deeply.

Lots of poetry books now days are uninspired imitations, but this was truly beautiful.
Maríah Santos
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SO fucking RAW.
Fred Slusher
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
TW: rape, self-harm

This slim volume is powerful.
Georgia Call
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I feel 2 stars is unfair. Poetry is an art and everyone has their own preferences. This one didn’t just speak to me, but that shouldn’t stop someone else from giving it a read
Agnes
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm 140% biased on this one but really, it was amazing. In some parts I recognized myself, in others - those I know, but no part left me untouched. You should read this one.
Rachel
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
W O W. WOWOWOWOW. I have never gobbled up a book of poems like that, you need this book, thank you Mary
geena ✨
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
4.5

tw: rape

this was amazing, hands down one of the best audiobooks i ever listened to. the poems were so beautiful and heart hitting, i cried so many times.
Shany Larouche
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This poetry collection was a beautiful surprise. I got this one out of a whim, without expecting to much. But wow! It was raw, thoughtful and make me felt and think a lot.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Queer Book Review: Shame is an Ocean... 1 2 Sep 29, 2019 07:26AM

• If My Body Could Speak
  • Please Don't Go Before I Get Better
  • Lord of the Butterflies
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • Drive Here and Devastate Me
  • In a Dream You Saw a Way to Survive
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • The Day Is Ready for You
  • This Is the Journey
  • Sink
  • The Truth About Magic
  • Pillow Thoughts III: Mending the Mind
  • How Poetry Can Change Your Heart
  • To Make Monsters Out of Girls (Things that Haunt, #1)
  • When the World Didn't End
  • Soft Science
  • Take Me with You
In 2012, Mary Lambert was working three restaurant jobs when her life changed. An aspiring singer-songwriter, cellist, spoken word artist, and newly graduated with a Bachelors of Music Composition from Cornish College of the Arts, she had begun to establish herself around Seattle, performing slam poetry and fusing a talk-singing style into her intimate performances. She received a phone call from ...more
“Have you ever seen a stampede of horses?
Do you wonder what the hooves
look like from underneath?
Have you tasted the blood from biting
your own lips because you
couldn’t say no loud enough?

I never fought back. I didn’t punch him. I kept my
thighs tight and closed, but once he’s inside you,
you wish you were a streetlamp.
A seat belt.
A box of nails, of rust, something hard and ruined.
You’ll wish you were a wild pony, a slick fish on a line,
anything but a woman.

Once he’s inside you, you just kind of give up
and your eyes glaze over.
They stay that way for years”
1 likes
“love your body the way your mother loved your baby feet
and brother, arm wrapping shoulders, remember,
this is important:
you are worth more than who you fuck,
you are worth more than a waistline,
you are worth more than beer bottles
displayed like drunken artifacts,
you are no less valuable as a size 16 than a size 4,
you are no less valuable as a 32A than a 36C
you are worth more than any naked bod”
1 likes