Start by marking “What We Buried” as Want to Read:
What We Buried

What We Buried

Siblings Liv and Jory Brewer have grown up resenting one another. Liv—former pageant queen and reality-TV star—was groomed for a life in the spotlight, while her older brother Jory, born with a partial facial paralysis, was left in the shadows. The only thing they have in common is contempt for their parents.

Now Liv is suing her mom and dad for emancipation, and Jory views
Published February 26th 2019 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about What We Buried, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amanda
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jessie Midwestern American here - to me, "embarrassed by" and "embarrassed of" are two different phrases. Someone who does something embarrassing would cause…moreMidwestern American here - to me, "embarrassed by" and "embarrassed of" are two different phrases. Someone who does something embarrassing would cause me to be embarrassed by them, whereas someone whose presence is in some way embarrassing is someone I'm embarrassed of (and yes, it's bad English to say it that way with the preposition at the end, but that's how it's used in everyday language around here). It's the difference between someone saying "you embarrassed me" (I'm embarrassed by them) and someone saying "you embarrass me" (I'm embarrassed of you). One is an active verb, the other is a passive one.

In this instance, I think it was used to describe Jory, right? So it's not something he's actively doing, but something about him (his disorder) that was causing the embarrassment. It's an important distinction in this situation.

Hope that helps!(less)

Start your review of What We Buried
megs_bookrack
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Jory and Liv Brewer are as opposite as siblings can get. In fact, the one thing they have in common is their horrible parents.

Paraded through the kiddie pageant circuit by their domineering mother, Liv, is known to be spoiled and full of rage. Once a part of a reality television show, now her once shining star is dimming.

Older brother, Jory, has been pushed into the background of the Princess Liv show their whole life.

Suffering from Moebius Syndrome, which outwardly displays itself through part
Chelsea Humphrey
I'm somewhere between a 3-3.5 star rating on this one.

If you're interested in reading this one, please do yourself a favor and don't read the synopsis close to when you're picking this up. Go in as blind as possible. The comparisons that the publisher has made to other books in the description here tip the reader off to what the big twist will be (if you've read said books), and while it didn't take away all the enjoyment in reading this one, I still wished I had been more out of the loop going
Carrie
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
What We Buried by Kate A. Boorman is a young adult mystery that made me want to have some Twilight Zone music playing in the background while reading. Told from the siblings, Liv and Jory Brewer, dual point of view we follow them as they try to find their missing parents.

Liv and Jory couldn’t be more different from one another if they tried. Liv is the beautiful child, raised to compete in competitions and be in the spotlight always pushed to be and do more. Jory is a bit of a recluse, the total
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: February 26, 2019
Genre: Young Adult Mystery
Actual Rating: 2 stars

I have to be honest, this book did not work for me. I don't know why I even continued to read it knowing I wasn't into it at all. I guess I needed to see what REALLY happened. Unfortunately, I felt more confused about the book AFTER reading the ending than I did when I started it. This book will work for some readers as evidenced by other reviews it just wasn't my cup of tea. I will tell you why below but it wil
Kendall
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What We Buried is such a spooky and fun YA mystery!!!

Let me tell you... YA has really started to become one of my favorite genres! AND WOW absolute cover adoration for this one!!

This story is told from the perspectives of siblings Liv and Jory Brewer who we follow as they try to find their missing parents.

The pair together on this journey become truly fascinating finding out what enfolds their past. The story becomes addictive and wondering what truly happened to their parents.

Although, eithe
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

I also have a giveaway happening for this right now!

I have seen some other reviewers caution against reading the synopsis and yes, please listen to them and go in blind! If you like eerie adventure and character exploration, this is going to be one to check out! If you want my attempt at the vaguest thoughts possible... here we go!

This started out... strangely. And I wasn't sure how
Stacee
Unreliable narrator is one of my favorite things to read, so as I was reading this and realizing that’s sort of what it was turning into, I was even more excited. And I can honestly say that I have no idea what I just read.

I liked the dynamic between Liv and Rory. I didn’t really like either one of them, but their relationship plus their toxic parents really intrigued me. This is quite a character driven story, all about the two of them.

Plot wise...I’m not sure what to say. It was a thrilling
Frank Phillips
Man, i'm not sure what I just read?!! I may need someone to message me pronto and explain that ending! If i'm on the right track here, I think this was a great idea, but very poor execution! I totally did not understand the ending (admittingly I was listening to this in audio format and multitasking), and i'd like to think i'm not less than smart! I like to be thrown for a loop in my thriller, but not completely lost, so i'm giving this one 3 Stars for that reason alone. I don't have a whole lot ...more
Brittany
3 Stars!!!
⭐️⭐️⭐️

I don’t even know what to say about this one guys... I was very intrigued, still pondering- but the ending is not one I would have guessed 😱- need to process.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Melanie  Brinkman
What hideous things are hiding behind that pretty mask?

Siblings Liv and Jory have grown to resent each other. Liv, a former pageant queen, led around by her mother. Jory, living with a partial face paralysis, has been left in her shadow. The only thing the two share is their awful parents.

When Liv sues their parents, Jory's sure it's just one of her gambits. But when their parents go missing on the day of the hearing, the siblings must work together to track them down. But what if there's more t
Christy
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wild ride, taking the unreliable narrator to the next level. What We Buried has an ending you won't see coming or easily forget. What makes this story special is the constant uncertainty. Unreliable narrators. Timelines that are quickly converging. Completely surreal and will keep you turning pages.

No doubt, Liv and Jory only share one common trait - a disdain for their parents. I, too, share this trait. But no one wants their parents to just disappear without question (right? right.)...So wh
Amy
I'm going to be 100% honest with you...

I don't think I fully understand what the f*ck I just read.

If you can read this book and not scream:
Angry Season 1 GIF by Friends

A few hundred times to yourself... Then you are far smarter than I am.
Kate
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018, arc
I wish this book was already out because I need to discuss it! It reminded me a bit of Christopher Pike's Road to Nowhere. Loved how complex Liv and Jory were, and their tangled, twisted memories. Child beauty queens, Mask movie references (Cher and Eric Stoltz), disappearances, sibling feuds, blackout rages, road trips and a nightmarish landscapes.
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow that was one heck of a mindscrew.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Y'all.... WHAT

I thought I knew what was going on but the back and forth made me question everything. In the end, I don't have a clue what really happened.

Toxic parents, messed up childhoods, bickering siblings... this had the makings for a great story but the delivery left me confused af.
Pauline Sacré
3 stars because I was gripped until the last chapter. But only 3 because the writing is just blah and the last chapter left the whole plot up to interpretation. I'm all about an ending left up to the reader's interpretation, but this just left the entire plot unexplained which makes me feel like I read it all for nothing.
Sonica
Actual 3.5
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What We Buried by Kate A. Boorman is the story of Liv and Jory. Liv is an ex-child beauty queen that is suing her parents for making her the horrible person she was and Jory is the older brother who has had to deal with their father's crude remarks about his partial face paralysis.

Liv's childhood was ruined by beauty pageants and a TV show showcasing the child stars. Someone started a lawsuit against their parents for making them do all that stuff so Liv decides to jump on the bandwagon.

Jory ha
Jay G
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review*

VIDEO REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNdN5...

4.5/5 Stars

Siblings Liv and Jory are complete opposites, the only thing they have in common is their resentment for their parents. Liv was a child beauty pageant queen, paraded around the circuit by their mother. Jory has a partial facial paralysis a
Roxanne
Thanks to Henry Holt & Co and Netgalley for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

Liv and Jory are on the verge of life changing news. Liv has sued their parents for emancipation and everyone knows they are going to win. But just as Jory is heading up the stairs with their parents everything changes in the blink of an eye. They just disappear.

Soon Liv and Jory are heading to a remote cabin to figure out what their parents are up and what is going on.

One weird tripping ride later her
Brittany S.
Initial Impressions 4/20/19: 3.5 - 4 stars
Rounding this one up because it was quite addicting and book that I didn't want to put down! I loved how the book played with time and space and really made the readers question what was happening and what was possible. I kind of sort of felt the ending coming so I set myself up for the possibility, even if it wasn't quite what I really wanted. It was still quite interesting but I did wish for a little more creativity with how it ended (I mean, it was go
Carina Olsen
It will be impossible to write down my thoughts about this book. I shall try my best. I really wanted to love this book, as the cover is gorgeous and it seemed like such a thrilling mystery read. But ha. Liking this book was impossible. As I ended up pretty much hating it from the very beginning. Then all the way until the ending. Sigh.

I really wanted more from this book. Since, honestly, the mystery part was almost perfect. I enjoyed it so very much. But the rest of this book sucked. Completely
Amber
A twisted ride involving siblings and duel timelines. The ending, however, is unclear enough to bring this down a star.

I received an ecopy of this through netgalley; however, all opinions are my own.
Nicole
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2019, young-adult
Actual rating: 2.5

As a fan of mysteries and young adult books, I like to look for great blends of the two. This wasn’t quite it for me, but might be perfect for some readers. Some of the descriptions give away the plot twist by the books it is compared to so don’t read too widely if you plan on picking this one up!

Liv is used to the spotlight as a former star on a reality tv show, Darling Divas, and pageant girl. But now Liv is suing her parents for emancipation and her brother Jory, along with
Sam
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
You can find this review and others on my blog SleepySamReads!

Special thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

...I don't know what I just read. I try to keep this blog as PG as possible, but I'm going to have to make a small excuse for this review. This book was a total mindfuck. For the most part, I think I enjoyed it.

I love books/movies that make you think hard. Inception is one of my favorite movies, simply because it makes you think. What
Bethany
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Creepy psychological thriller meets twisted family drama, What We Buried plays with notions of time-linearity while deconstructing the lives of an estranged brother and sister with abusive parents. Liv spent her childhood in the spotlight competing in beauty pageants and appearing on reality TV, but she was also under the thumb of her controlling mother who would do anything to win. Her big brother Jory was born with Moebius syndrome, causing partial paralysis of his face. While Liv was lauded f ...more
Kat
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
* Thank you Raincoast books for the advanced review copy in exchange for my honest opinion *

This novel follows Livy - a former beauty pageant queen and reality TV star, and her brother Jory - who was born with a partial facial paralysis, in alternating perspectives throughout a fast paced mystery. After suing her parents for emancipation, Livy is vying for justice against her parents. Jory is just trying to make it through without drawing too much attention, and then he can have some freedom. Ne
Brigid Churchill
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book a little under 24 hours ago and I still cannot believe the ending. I keep trying to figure it out and right when I believe I did, I remember another thing that happened. The beginning is slow, and the characters live off of cliches, but as the storyline progresses, you learn more and more and if you are like me, you’ll be able to predict what will happen yet still be surprised. I would recommend this book to
Someone who likes twist endings and mysteries. You also need to be a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• You Owe Me a Murder
  • A Danger to Herself and Others
  • The Haunted (The Haunted, #1)
  • Be Not Far from Me
  • Last Girl Lied To
  • Heartwood Box
  • All We Could Have Been
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • You Must Not Miss
  • The Crossroads (Haunted Mystery, #1)
  • Past Perfect Life
  • Killing November (Killing November, #1)
  • Immoral Code
  • Spin
  • The Waning Age
  • Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1)
  • I Know You Remember
  • Come Find Me
Kate is a freelance writer and artist from the often-frozen Canadian prairies. She has a nice family and a well-indulged travel bug. She also has an irrational fear of birds, so when you visit, please leave your bird at home. But do visit.

www.kateaboorman.com