Start by marking “The Book of Unwyse Magic” as Want to Read:
The Book of Unwyse Magic

The Book of Unwyse Magic

In this darkly mysterious middle-grade fantasy, a girl finds herself at the center of the struggle for power between the human world and the fairy world.

Years before, Ava’s family left the town of Wyse in a shroud of mystery—some scandal concerning abuse of magical mirrors. Now returning as indentured servants, twelve-year-old Ava and her brother, Matthew, suspect their
Published March 26th 2019 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published June 14th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Unwyse Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Unwyse Magic

Start your review of The Book of Unwyse Magic
Stephanie
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-fiction
Clever, creepy, and gorgeously magical, with a heroine I utterly adored and really fabulous world-building. Set in a town on the edge of Victorian England and Wales - *and* the Unworld of Faerie - Unwise Magic has some of the fabulously magical Victorian atmosphere that I loved in Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, but the story itself is really original. It's wonderfully suspenseful, lean and fast-paced and full of intrigue, with characters I loved - a perfect MG fantasy novel, in other words. I ...more
Robin Stevens
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely, exciting and very mysterious magical adventure, this is a real treat of a book. It's set in a world where mirrors lead to Fairyland, and it reads like Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell for 8+ - it's light, charming, funny and extremely entertaining!

Kelly
Mirror Magic is simply brilliant.

A truly magical and captivating adventure that will have young readers itching to jump through mirrors to visit the otherworld. I love books that take every day objects and make them magical because I think that’s what truly captures our imagination: the “what if?” of whether or not there are Fair folk on the other side waiting for our orders.

I loved that there was such a big mystery involved in this story and I had fun along the way trying to guess what was
Lily
I found this book a little difficult to get into at first, but after a few chapters I was drawn into the curious oddities of this story and found myself speeding through it to see what happened next.

Ava and her brother Matthew move back to Wyse after the death of their parents, a small town on the border between England and Wales, the only place left where magic still exists. Conjurors demand magical items from the fairy world on the other side of their magic mirrors because of a magical
Christina
This had a lot of elements I love: Victorian era, multiple points of view, magic, humor from a sentient book, and group efforts. I’m proud to say I’ve read each of Claire Fayers’s published children’s books now, and look forward to all that she brings to her stories!
Alex English
Such fun! I loved the magical Victorian setting, the characters and most of all The Book.
Imogen White
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cripes, I loved this book! In fact I think its a total triumph - I literally couldn't put it down. the premise of two worlds connected by mirrors is just so wonderfully imagined. I loved the ramblings of 'The Book' that start each chapter - a brilliant character in its own right, and there is just the right amount of spookiness throughout too. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to adults and children alike. It is one of my most favourite reads of the year. Ace.
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
This book is about Ava, as she and her brother return to the town they were born in, Wyse, which happens to be the only place left in Britain that still has magic, which in this world is through the usage of mirrors that connect them to the Unworld, where the Fair Folk live. However, the mirrors there are also slowly ceasing to function, and when Ava and Howell see each other through a mirror they become embroiled in solving the mystery of why this is happening. Ava is a brilliant, brave heroine ...more
Wendy MacKnight
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
What a delightful novel! The story of two villages: the magical Unwyse, and its mirror, Wyse, who have entered into a covenant for the sharing of magic and enchantments via magic mirrors. But the vast majority of magic mirrors are failing and no one knows why. When newly orphaned Ava and her brother Matthew arrive in Unwyse to take up positions offered them by the mysterious Lord Skinner, Ava discovers that she is the object of gossip thanks to the crescent moon mark on her cheek. Meanwhile, a ...more
Christina Reid
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely middle grade adventure story set during Victorian times when all the magic has gone from our world, apart from the village of Wyse which straddles not only the border between England and Wales, but also the border between our world and that of the Fair Folk. Mirrors form portals between the worlds but only six remain. When Ava and her brother Matthew arrive in Wyse, they realise quite quickly that things aren't as they seem, but what exactly does Mr Skinner want?
This is a fast-paced
Leigh-Ann
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked the world building in this book. The ties between Wyse and Unwyse were very cleverly done and the twists and turns felt logical but still surprising. I think Charles' lists were a slightly lazy plot device in order to allow the reader to recap what was going on at the high action points of the story, but this was the only real problem I had with the book. Otherwise it had a great dark but fun tone and I enjoyed how it progressed.
Abigail Tanner
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brindy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I was initially drawn to it by the cover, but was then intrigued by the idea of 2 worlds connected by mirrors. It's magical, adventurous and has a good mix of goodies and baddies and some thoroughly charming characters and I loved the start of each chapter having comments from 'The Book'
Roaffie
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is entertaining! I like Fayers' idea of how the mirrors work although I was confused about Mr.Bones identity (I thought he was a skeleton) and there was a minor dialogue mistake at the end of the book. Overall, I like the characters, dialogue and setting in this book very much.
Jenn
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so cute and would do really well in a middle grade classroom. There’s adventure, friendship, action. This would be a great stepping stone on the way to Harry Potter for those not quite ready for HP.
Steph
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some serious fun - a world living in the mirror, characters who are likeable and baddies who are equal parts terrifying and haunting. A great MG book that I know will go down a storm!
Deanna
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an entertaining book, great for a read aloud.
Ruth Morgan
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, sparkly and magical. A great read!
Stephen Baird
Magic in mirrors, alternative worlds, doorways through mirrors. All these topics had me so interested in this book when it arrived.

I wasn’t disappointed, this was read in a day. Funny, fresh and exciting.

Claire’s world is one set in the late 19th century where our world has separated from the magic a few hundred years in the past and the only link are Mirrors.

The mystery and magic develops through the book when Ava returns after the death of her father and discovers a lot about herself and this
Cynthia Reeg
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Claire Fayers latest fantasy adventure is set in the misty and magical world of Victorian England, where the Fair Folk have gone into the UnWorld—specifically a placed called UnWyse. Humans have been left with only a few magic mirrors as portals between the two worlds. In the real world, eleven-year-old Ava Harcourt—whose parents have recently died—and her older brother Matthew find themselves alone and in dire straits. Their father had been a conjurer at one time, but for some unknown reason ...more
Erica Sonzogni
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Imagine living in a time where the magic and unmagic worlds are connected. In The Book of Unwyse Magic, Wyse, a town filled with regular, non-magical folk, houses six mirrors that can contact the magical world of Unwyse. Decades ago, there used to be hundreds of magical mirrors, yet each stopped working due to unknown reasons. When two children from Wyse, Matthew and Ava, begin working for Lord Skinner, a man who everyone in the town admires, they become curious about the mirrors. Their ...more
Robin Yardi
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Magic, mystery, and a fast paced comic adventure—Claire Fayers delivers for her readers again!
T.J. Burns
I received a copy of this book from Macmillan Children's Publishing Group via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Melissa
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has everything required for a good story: magic mirrors, enchantments, fair folk, and a sassy book ...more
Mags Gourley
Jan 13, 2019
Katie Piatt
Jun 01, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Last Chance Hotel (Seth Seppi Mystery, #1)
  • The Way Past Winter
  • The Storm Keeper's Island (Storm Keeper, #1)
  • The House with Chicken Legs
  • Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball
  • The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery (A Train to impossible places, #1)
  • Secrets of a Sun King
  • The Unsung Hero of Birdsong, USA
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1)
  • Malamander (Malamander, #1)
  • Murder at the Museum (Agatha Oddly, #2)
  • Because of the Rabbit
  • The Boy Who Grew Dragons (The Boy Who Grew Dragons, #1)
  • Tin
  • Don't Drink the Pink
  • Concierto de piano
  • Little Red Reading Hood and the Misread Wolf
Please note: I don't often visit Goodreads so I don't accept friend requests and I'm unlikely to see questions posted here. If you'd like to get in touch, please send me a message through my website.

Claire Fayers writes comic fantasy featuring swashbuckling pirates, evil magicians, heroic librarians and man-eating penguins. She grew up in South Wales, studied English in Canterbury, and is now back