Jump to ratings and reviews

Girls on the Verge

A powerful, timely coming-of-age story about a young woman from Texas who goes on a road trip with two friends to get an abortion, from award-winning author Sharon Biggs Waller.

Camille couldn't be having a better summer. But on the very night she learns she got into a prestigious theater program, she also finds out she’s pregnant. She definitely can’t tell her parents. And her best friend, Bea, doesn’t agree with the decision Camille has made.

Camille is forced to try to solve her problem alone . . . and the system is very much working against her. At her most vulnerable, Camille reaches out to Annabelle Ponsonby, a girl she only barely knows from the theater. Happily, Annabelle agrees to drive her wherever she needs to go. And in a last-minute change of heart, Bea decides to come with.

Girls on the Verge is an incredibly timely novel about a woman’s right to choose. Sharon Biggs Waller brings to life a narrative that has to continue to fight for its right to be told, and honored.

229 pages, Hardcover

First published April 9, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sharon Biggs Waller

6 books418 followers

Sharon Biggs Waller is the recipient of the Friends of American Writers award and the author of A Mad, Wicked Folly (Viking) and The Forbidden Orchid (Viking), both of which have garnered multiple starred reviews and awards. Her upcoming novel is a young adult contemporary called Girls on the Verge (Holt, April 2019). She's also a magazine journalist and has written several non-fiction books about horses—The Original Horse Bible (Fox Chapel Publishing), Advanced English Riding (Lumina Media), and In One Arena (Half Halt Press). Previously, she worked as a riding instructor at the Royal Mews in Buckingham Palace. In addition to writing, she is a dressage rider and trainer and Planned Parenthood volunteer. She lives on a ten-acre sustainable farm in the Midwest with her husband, Mark.
Visit her at www.sharonbiggswaller.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
94 (3%)
1 star
16 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 624 reviews
Profile Image for Chelsea (chelseadolling reads).
1,471 reviews19.1k followers
February 14, 2019
This book was absolutely incredible. I hardcore cried while reading this one because it opened my eyes up so much more to the struggles women face every day to have control over their own bodies. It may only be February but I predict that this book will end up in my top 5 of the year because it hit me SO hard. What a devastatingly important book.
Profile Image for preoccupiedbybooks.
439 reviews971 followers
September 3, 2021
I've been thinking about this book again in light of the new laws in Texas.. 😢

An important, timely and well written story about a woman's right to choose

IMPORTANT NOTE: I AM EXTREMELY PRO-CHOICE AND MY REVIEW REFLECTS THIS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE THEN PLEASE STOP READING, AND DO NOT COMMENT.
description

Camille, a teenager living in Texas found out that she was pregnant on the same night that she found out that she had got into an amazing theatre programme. She couldn't tell her parents, her best friend reacted badly to the news, so she had to try to face it all alone. Everything, and everyone was against her. Camille then, at her most vulnerable reached out to Annabelle, a girl she barely knew to help her get an abortion. At the last moment, her best friend Bea changed her mind and decided to go with them on the roadtrip.

I loved this audiobook! It was really engaging from the word go. I could tell that it was based on actual facts, and Sharon Biggs Waller explained it all in the author's note at the end. She also listed organisations and their contact details to help you if you are in a similar situation to Camille.

The characters were so authentic and real. I loved Camille and so wanted to reach out and help her! I loved the friendships that were formed and cemented with Annabelle and Bea during the road trip. Despite the heavy and sensitive topic, the book was fun, and had girls supporting each other despite their differences! Yess! 🙌The girls were so funny and adorable, I just wanted to protect them all! I applaud Sharon Biggs Waller for nailing such an important issue, whilst still creating such a great story! 👍 👍 👍
However, I hated the judgement that Camille faced. The revolting attitudes. It made me so angry, disgusted and sad!

Now I'm not American. I live in the UK. We have a wide range of contraceptives available from multiple places here. They are free through the NHS! I do like how Girls on the Verge discussed that birth control is not 100% effective, but the truth is, if contraceptives are freely available, then there is less unplanned pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections. In the book, Camille had to order condoms online. The pregnancy tests were locked up, needing the pharmacist's permission to buy! That's crazy! I remember seeing condoms locked up in glass cases when I visited the USA and thought WTAF?!! That's going to be off-putting to so many people!

The reason that this book attracted my attention, is because of all the law changes currently happening to do with women's body and sexual health in the USA. Yes it has even made it onto our news over here! In the UK abortion is legal everywhere except in NI. The abortion act in 1967 made it possible to legally have an abortion up to 23 weeks and 6 days into a pregnancy, and only beyond that for medical reasons. In the UK 1 in 3 women have an abortion in their lifetime. In the USA 1 in 4 women will have one by age 45. Making it illegal will not change that, It will just drive women to desperate measures, and put them in dangerous situations like Camille.
In this country, you can get an abortion in 3 different ways. You can contact an abortion provider directly, get a referral through you doctor, or go to a family planning/contraception/sexual health clinic. The whole process will not take more than 2 weeks from your initial appointment up until your abortion. That is why I found this book so shocking! The things that Camille had to go through to get to the point of driving to the border for an abortion were appalling! I hate to think of anyone going through any of that, let alone a young girl. Imagine if that were your daughter, niece, sister, granddaughter or friend? The current US laws on abortion seem to moving and changing so quickly. This book was based on Texas in 2014, but since then Alabama has introduced ridiculous laws so obviously made by men, who do not understand pregnancy!

Bottom line, is that a woman should be able to decide what she does with her body, and I cannot believe we are still having this conversation in 2019! Why are women still having to march for the rights to their own bodies in the 21st century?!! I understand that people have their own so called pro-life opinions on this matter, but do they have to shove it down other people's throats? The people who stand outside planned parenthood are deplorable. As if women who are going there aren't going through enough. Abortion isn't a decision that people make lightly, and no one knows what other people have been or are going through! Frankly it's no one else's business!
description
In Girls on the Verge Camille was spoken to, and treated so badly. She was harshly judged, slut shamed and had no rights. The protesters, fake clinics, and the people in positions of power giving incorrect facts about pregnancy and abortion made me sick. It truly made me angry and so so very sad for her. Nevertheless, this book was empowering, full of hope and had a wonderful ending, and I'm so glad I read it! Camille was such a strong and determined young lady!Young people should definitely read this. In fact everyone should. We need to be talking more about sex, birth control, abortion, and shouldn't be shaming people.

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always." (Brad Meltzer)
Profile Image for destiny ♡ howling libraries.
1,609 reviews5,002 followers
April 22, 2019
I look like I've been through a battle and lived to talk about it.

Out of all of the important sociopolitical topics covered in YA over the last few years, one thing I have constantly wished to see more portrayals of in literature is pro-choice discussions about women doing what needs to be done to retain control of their own bodies. In the last few months, there has been so much going on here in the US regarding reproductive rights that Girls on the Verge is exactly what we needed to see burst onto the scene, and it couldn't have come at a better time.

Girls on the Verge has so many fantastic points fit into this powerful little story, such as:

• The discussion revolving around the fact that birth control isn't flawless and the "just use protection!" argument isn't always enough

• The overarching theme of girls supporting girls and learning how to look past their own biases to take care of each other (because supporting a woman's right to choose doesn't have to mean you'd make the same choice yourself)

• The delightfully well-crafted references to current political goings-on (I died a little of joy every time Wendy Davis was mentioned!)

On top of all of that, though, it's just such a fun story to read. Sure, it tackles very heavy and tough topics, and it definitely made me emotional a few times (mostly just enraged by the ridiculous state of our society right now), but I also laughed so hard at so many of the exchanges between Camille, Bea, and Annabelle. These girls are hilarious and feel so real and genuine; even in little ways, they just feel human, like the way one of them always piped up with "I'll Google it!" when they were curious about the tiniest little thing — that's a very 'me' thing and I loved it. Their friendships are so delightful and lovable and I honestly, truly cherished every single page of Girls on the Verge and hope that it gets the attention it deserves. ♥

P.S. Can I just say this would make an AMAZING teen film adaptation? Get on it, Netflix!

All quotes come from an advance copy and may not match the final release. Thank you so much to Henry Holt and Co. for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Profile Image for Julie Zantopoulos.
Author 3 books2,245 followers
May 18, 2019

This book is too timely, sickly timely, for all that is happening in the United States as I sit down to write this review. More people making decisions for women and their bodies, telling that what is and isn't acceptable, and shaming those who are sexually active before they deem is "appropriate".

In Girls on the Verge Camille is pregnant and knows, without any doubt in her mind, that she does not want the baby. No, she doesn't want to give it up for adoption, no she does not want to hear the heartbeat, she wants an abortion. Camille lives in Texas and while abortion law and the control over women's bodies change constantly (honestly, I'm fighting pure hot anger right now) this book was written with the most up to date laws as possible at the time of writing.

We follow Camille as she tries and struggles to do something as simple as buying a pregnancy test, her rebelious new friend Annabelle who won't let Camille go through this alone. Then there's Beatrice (whom I have a bit of a teeth grinding issue with) who is hyper religious and is struggling to be a friend to Camille when she's willfully "killing a baby". The whole religious girl can't support or understand a friend who doesn't want to be a teen mom trope...I'm not a fan. But, I understand it's Texas and that's a whole other world of religious devotion that my north east self just doesn't have to deal with.

This book is maddening, heartbreaking, and just downright eye opening. LIving in Pennsylvania I don't have to deal with crap like that and there's a difference between knowing others do and reading the step by step trauma that girls in Texas (and states like it) go through.

There isn't much more to say about this book, I'm not going to spoil the storyline for you, just know it's a raw look at the struggles, trauma, and heartache that women all over the world face just to have control of their own lives and bodies. It's hard to read at time, it pisses you right the hell off, and it also showcases the strength and resolve of girls, women, families, and friends. It's beautiful and it's important. I hope you'll read it.
Profile Image for tappkalina.
627 reviews382 followers
November 20, 2022
“No woman can call herself free who does not own and control her body. No woman can call herself free until she can choose consciously whether she will or will not be a mother.”
― Margaret Sanger

I have no words.

I really, really liked the theme and the message, even if it pains me to no end.
Profile Image for Natasha.
492 reviews377 followers
April 12, 2019
This book... it was a fucking experience.

Here's some gifs that help portray my feelings.

Profile Image for K..
3,540 reviews999 followers
May 5, 2019
Trigger warnings: abortion, restrictive access to abortion, misogyny, car accident, slut shaming, pro-life bullshit, sanctimonious religious bullshit.

4.5 stars.

This book was amazing and heartbreaking. This book was also rage-inducing. Basically, it's the story of a teenage girl living in Texas who's gotten pregnant and wants to get an abortion. Texas being Texas, that access is incredibly restricted and she's forced to go on a roadtrip to try and sort things out.

This is, I think, a very important book for showing how restricting reproductive rights (at one point, she can't even buy a pregnancy test because the male pharmacist gets all "As a Christian and a father, I'd be horrified if anyone sold my daughter a pregnancy test so I won't sell you one") doesn't actually stop abortion and instead just drives women to more and more desperate ends.

The author is very frank about the difference that abortion has made in her own life, and I love that she included that at the end of the novel.

My one small gripe is that it's a VERY short book and I wish it was 50-100 pages longer than it is so that the story didn't feel so rushed at times.

In short: this book made me want to stab things but it was also amazing. Do with that information what you will.
Profile Image for kate.
1,076 reviews913 followers
April 13, 2020
this was just... wow.

what a book.

A phenomenal, necessary and brilliantly written exploration of teen pregnancy, abortion, friendship and the prevalent, excruciating battle women still face to have ownership of their own bodies.
Profile Image for Dylan.
547 reviews230 followers
February 26, 2019
5 stars.

So so powerful.

I don't know if I can say that I enjoyed reading this? YES it was well written and YES I had a lot of fun with these characters, but this book made me so angry. Angry that society tells teenage girls that they aren't mature enough to make a decision about their own bodies or any woman in general, angry that men believe they can treat women the way that they did in this book and almost caused these girls to be injured, and angry that these young women had to drive hundreds of miles so that our main character could get an abortion. This book had me incredibly upset but not just because it's sad what they had to go through - but because i'm so frustrated that society refuses to give women the rights to their bodies.

This book is sad, but it's also hopeful. Hopeful in the way that it makes me believe that reproductive rights will be full given back in the future, but there's no guarantee.

GIRLS ON THE VERGE will definitely end up as a favorite of 2019 and something that I will reread at least once in the near future. This is a novel you aren't going to want to miss.

TW: abortion
Profile Image for thi.
607 reviews84 followers
May 29, 2019
4.5/5
- 🗣 I am and always will be pro-choice
- 🗣🗣 Criminalizing abortions won’t prevent them from happening it just facilitates unsafe abortions
- The story takes place in Texas, a known conservative state and Camille faces a lot of opposition to her choice
- The frustration was real when health care professions, law practitioners, STRANGERS, frequently pushed their bias onto her
- Damn separation of church and state man I’m 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️
- there’s some obvious discussions about abortion overall as well as observations on sex education and sex MIS-education
- As the author notes; shame is often used as a tactic to control women’s reproductive rights and that isn’t fair
- I’d say my only problem was a weird turn near the end of the book before being on track again
- A glimpse of what most likely many people go though concerning abortion, It’s poignant, it’s relevant ... too relevant
Profile Image for Shannon (It Starts At Midnight).
1,084 reviews1,010 followers
April 11, 2019
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .

Wow wow wow this is an important book. As more women's rights are taken away across the U.S., Girls on the Verge shines a glaring spotlight on all the hypocrisy and injustice that accompanies each of these decisions.  And you might be thinking "hey, isn't this supposed to be a book review and not a political rant?", but you'd be wrong. Because it's inherently both. Books have a plethora of purposes: To entertain, to shock, to elicit any number of feelings. But one of the purposes can, and should be, to make a social statement. Sharon Biggs Waller does that here, in a way that still makes for an appealing reading experience.

The book is chock full of information that women in general but absolutely young women should know about their rights. It discusses such horrors as "crisis centers", which are in the business of trying to prey on scared young women in order to push their conservative Christian agenda. It talks about  the amount of people who will try to shove themselves into a woman's personal reproductive decision making. The vast differences in state laws are a big feature of the book, as are the variations in law when it comes to the time period in which a woman is allowed to seek an abortion, the methods she may use, and whether she needs consent. Which is obviously utter bullshit, because exactly zero of the people making said decisions are a woman and/or her physician.

Girls on the Verge tackles this incredibly important topic, but it's also at its core a tremendously heartfelt story about female friendship and growing up. Camille doesn't always see eye to eye with her best friend since forever, Bea. Bea is staunchly religious and is appalled when she learns of Camille's decision. That is when Annabelle steps up to the plate to basically be the most awesome friend in the history of friendship. She's willing to help Camille at, quite literally, any cost. I don't want to go too in depth because this is a story you must read for yourself, and this is spoiler territory. But I promise that Annabelle is complete friend goals. Bea of course starts to come around a bit, and joins them on their journey. But make no mistake, she's going to have to grow a lot as a person if she deserves Camille's friendship. And to be clear, this isn't a bash on religion at all. It's a bash on using conservatism disguised as religion to judge other people. Which is kind of the antithesis of actual religion anyway, right?

There's a slight romantic element, but to me it seemed like its purpose was not a focus on romance, but more a focus on how life doesn't end when you're faced with a really difficult hurdle. That you still deserve and can find love in all its forms. Also, if there's anything I love more in a book than roadtrips, it's a road trip to Mexico with three women who are journeying to find themselves.

Bottom Line: You need to read this book, appreciate its strong feminist message, then you need to make everyone you know read it. And then, you know, get out there and help change the world.

Profile Image for Youandi ✨ ReadsLovely.
211 reviews16 followers
May 21, 2020
5/5 stars.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

'' Dear soul,

I hope you understand why i can't give you life. I have to find my own life before i can give one to you.

I hope you find someone else who wants you and will love you like you deserve.

If you want to wait around, i hope you'll return to me when i'm ready for you. I hope to meet you someday.

Love, Camille. ''

Everyone needs to read this book.. (Especially women)
It's so heartbreaking but at the same time so powerful.

I think everyone has the right to make decisions of their on body. No one else has the right to decide for you because it's your body not theirs.. unfortunately in some countries / religions decisions have been made for you.

I was sucked in to the story right away. It felt so raw and real as if i was there with them.. i loved to see the friendship through out this rough situation. It shows how important good friends are. Who are always there for you even if they don't agree with your decision: They're still there.

Camille was unbelievably strong.. i don't know if i could have make this decission..

Go pick this up if you haven't already and you like hard hidding contemporarys. It's so worth the read!
Profile Image for dani.
570 reviews36 followers
June 29, 2019
i've always been pro-choice and i always will be.
reading stories about women making that difficult choice, i really cannot help but admire them. you have to be brave and strong because it's not an easy decision, it's something that will change you forever.
i truly loved that she had great friends along the way, support it's needed all the time and even more in these situations.
for me, it fills me reading stories like this and i'll finish the review by saying sensitive and controversial topics need to be read about, heard about, written and spoken about!!!
let's make it "normal" because that's what it is!!
Profile Image for kory..
971 reviews107 followers
May 14, 2019
Yet again, I'm let down by a so-called feminist book that people rave about.

This is too serious and important a topic that affects people of all genders to be publishing such a childish, shallow, cissexist book in 2019.

Content/trigger warnings for ableism, ableist slurs, anti-abortion rhetoric, slut shaming, religious bullshit, medical abuse (Christian pro-lifers masquerading as a free clinic force a trans-vaginal ultrasound on the MC and force her to look at the monitor and listen to religious anti-abortion shaming and misinformation by threat of charging her hundreds of dollars and telling her parents), trans-vaginal ultrasound, vague fat-antagonism, trans-antagonistic language, binary/cissexist language, gendered slurs, body shaming, harassment, sex, emotionally abusive parents,

Right off the bat, before the book even begins, we're off to a bad start.

A Margaret Sanger quote. Margaret was an anti-abortion, ableist, racist eugenicist. Her fight for people-who-can-get-pregnant's control over their own bodies was about birth control, not abortion. She fought for birth control to prevent abortions from ever having to be a thing. A thing she viewed as murder and publicly condemned and shamed people about. She also pushed for free access to birth control to prevent people she deemed "unfit" (poor, disabled, Black) from having children.

As usual, I'm just going to list my dislikes:

- An entirely woman-centric narrative. Abortion is not a woman-only issue. Reproductive rights are not women-only issues. You cannot publish a book about this topic in 2019, especially given where reproductive rights are heading right now, and not mentions trans, non-binary, and intersex folks. You simply cannot. You also can't have people assuming the gender and ownership (or lack thereof) of a uterus of strangers.

- The characters read much younger than they are, are super naive, and are just plain annoying. They're 17 and can't read about condoms without giggling, can't say the word "vagina" out loud, think having sex will make them feel like an adult or be more of a woman, and didn't know you can get pregnant the first time. Annabelle is the only one who reads about 17, but she's supposed to be older than that, so she also reads younger than she is. I don't mind reading about teens, I read almost entirely YA, but this takes it to another level and almost feels more middle grade than YA.

- It's not empowering and anti-slut shaming to validate young girls having sex when they aren't educated on it. Fight for inclusive, accurate, unbiased sex-ed, but also for young people taking their sex education into their own hands if they aren't learning what they need to know from people who are supposed to teach them.

- The religious people are really ridiculous. I know there are actually religious people like this, but it's just so much, so stereotypical and ruins the story for me.

- A random dude says his friend has Tourette's when he sees a hot girl, and Annabelle pretends to have a sister with Tourette's to shame him and then says even though she lied it doesn't mean you can make fun of people's "afflictions".

- When Bea calls those random guys assholes, they demand to know what she just said, and she says "what are you deaf?" using deafness as an insult minutes after her friend says not to make fun of disabilities.

- Annabelle insults the guys by saying they have small penises, which is not only body shaming, but also trans-antagonistic.

- Lots of random "guys don't do this" and "guys don't think like that" and "girls don't do that" comments that are never really addressed. There's just a lot of assumptions about what people do or think based on their gender that is inaccurate and annoying and never called out.

- Switches from past and present, which isn't my favorite thing.

- The fucking use of "shero" come on.

- The MC gets mad as fuck over ignorant misogynistic people-without-a-uterus saying what those with them can do with their bodies, but when Bea is constantly making shitty anti-abortion comments, excuses are made and she's coddled.

- And the most ridiculous part of the book: there's a warrant out for Annabelle's arrest and she gets arrested on their way to New Mexico for stealing a pregnancy test at some shitty little store and they use Camille's abortion money to pay her fine and then put on flash plays to raise a couple hundred dollars. I mean, are you kidding me? Could this book be more childish?

I just.....this could have been so good and important. But it's a nope nope nope from me.
Profile Image for sol✯.
722 reviews105 followers
Read
May 20, 2019
i’m crying in a library right now
it’s just fucking unfair what a girl has to do to have control over her own body

it’s fucking bullshit
Profile Image for Audrey Laurey.
208 reviews20 followers
May 16, 2019
I finished this book yesterday but it was too topical with the Alabama abortion law. Anyhow, I want to give this book to everyone, especially if you are a young person, in the US, and especially a young women in Texas.

Girls on the Verge is the story of 3 girls who go on a road trip to try and get their friend Camille an abortion because she is 17 and lives in Texas. Taking place in 2014 after Wendy Davis's famous 14 hour filibuster on the Texas State Senate floor.

I've lived in Texas for the past 25+ years and accurate medicine based sex education is not provided. Camille was supposed to go to drama camp this summer, but after her first sexual encounter with an equally inexperienced boy she becomes pregnant. Camille and her friends set off for Mexico and during their road trip there are many obstacles in their way due to the misogyny and backwards mindset of the people she has sought out for help and counsel.

Texas was a scary place in 2014, and even more so when it comes to a woman's right to choose. This book also provided practical information I think especially young women in the southwest should hear.

Did you know that if you are 17 you can get an abortion in New Mexico without your parents knowing? Now you do!
Profile Image for brie.
544 reviews48 followers
July 18, 2020
Girls on the Verge really isn't a bad book. It's a typical case of "it's me, not you." It beautifully informs and captures the struggles many people seeking an abortion have and is deeply impactful. After reading a book around a month ago with a very similar plot that focused a lot more on entertaining the reader than dealing with the issues at hand, I was very happy with the way this book didn't fall into the same "comedic road-trip" feel. ( we won't discuss that the aforementioned comedic book is the one that is being turned into a movie and not this one, which unfortunately shows society's prioritization of humour over honest information shhhh )

I have this unfortunate habit of reading books and then falling off the face of the planet halfway through and falling into an awful reading slump and then when I do get around to returning to the book, I'm more into the mindset of finishing it and continuing on to a new book because I subconsciously believe the book is the reason I fell into the slump in the first place (which almost every time, including this one is NOT the case) and instead of putting down the book and starting a new one which would be the rational and smart thing to do, I don't because I'm #stupid.

So this book was doomed from the get-go. As soon as I fell into this slump I knew my opinion and enjoyment was going to be biased because I wouldn't appreciate this book. I wish I could tell you that I'll "reread" (in quotations because let's be honest I didn't really "read" this book to it's full extent the first time around) this book in the future, but I probably won't because #yolo.

All in all, I think this book is deeply important and well done even in my half-interested state, and I definitely think you should read it regardless. Camille is a really amazing protagonist and both supporting characters Annabelle and Bea are foils who bring a lot to this story and its themes.
May 27, 2019
When I selected this book to read, I had no idea how Sharon Biggs Waller would approach this tale. Would she use objectivity? Or, would she sneak some teachings that hurt readers? Suffice to say, she chose the former with gusto.

In Girls on the Verge, Waller creates a story of a girl's personal decision in the form of a road trip along with two girlfriends with varied mindsets. Set in Texas, Camille faces abortion restrictions, including false information and misogynistic and paternalistic attitudes by men and women supporting said men.

However...

I mentioned that, in the form of a road trip, Camille's personal decision brings forth a coming of age that's timely, necessary, and honest.

Pros

1. Honesty and Objectivity. Weller shares her experience and you can tell as the prose comes from a knowledgeable and nonjudgmental place. What's involved mentally, emotionally, and physically in making such a personal decision finds excellent space. The theme is making a personal decision that fits for the person, and wow, do we need more books like this one.

2. Both Sides Are Represented Through Annabelle and Bea, Camille's Friends via Pro-Choice and Pro-Life arguments). While the book's heavily pro-choice (Yay!), thankfully, the latter's reasonable and respectful.

3. The ending's subtle and sublime.

4. Quick pacing.

5. Short chapters.

6. High tension. Given the subject, it's expected. But, there's high tension as it's a road trip tale and well, things happen.

7. Friendship Matters. Annabelle's amazing. Bea's learning. Regardless of how they feel, they hold Camille upright through this difficult time, thick and thin.

8. Realistic Setting. There's no magic. Tropes do not show to save the day. Obstacles and hurdles display the topic's difficulty, especially in red states.

9. A Likable Main Character. Camille's a teenager who's relatable. There's no Buffy-speak. She does not act like an adult, but a young woman on the verge of a big decision with a need for help and support.

10. Read the Author's Note. Enough said.

Cons

Honestly, I could not find a single con personally. Read and see for yourself.

4/5 Well-researched. Honest. Objective. Fair.

Profile Image for menna.
311 reviews291 followers
July 1, 2019
This book is brilliant, it is a beautiful combination between fun and necessary. It had moments that made me grin and moments that made me angry beyond belief.

this book talks about the fact that women should have the right to choose what to do with their bodies. I think it handles that topic splendidly.

It shows the struggles and the horrible things women go through daily to be able to do something or because they made a choice that some people don't agree with. The harassment they endure outside of abortion clinics and always having people trying to shove their opinion in their faces.

One of the things i absolutely loved about this is the friendships, the relationship between these girls is so wholesome and amazing. It shows different opinions on the subject and that no matter how different you're opinion might be, you respect the other's choice, no matter how different it is from the one you would've made.

The only thing i didn't love about this book, is how sometimes it feels like the author is trying to give us some info by having one of the girls say the facts or google the thing. She sometimes shows us the thing instead of just have someone tell it and to be honest i preferred this method much more.

My overall thoughts is that i think everyone should read it.

4.5⭐
Profile Image for Layla Fernanda.
177 reviews101 followers
January 21, 2020
Um livro importante que faz você pensar muito sobre a questão do aborto. É incrível como você se pega se questionando varias vezes durante o livro. Leitura obrigatória pra quem tem mais interesse no assunto!
O começo foi um pouco arrastado, mas o final... perfeito. E a nota da autora? Mais ainda!
Profile Image for Jenny Brown.
185 reviews43 followers
May 3, 2019
Every gift is a blessing girl. Nice job Sharon
Profile Image for Becca.
575 reviews11 followers
January 6, 2022
Girls on the Verge follows Camille, a young girl who has to travel out of state to get an abortion without telling her parents. She is joined by Annabelle, an older girl who went to England to a prestigious drama school, and Bea, her best friend who is also a youth pastor in training.

On this journey, the girls' discussions serve as an educational narrative around sex and relationships. This is particularly beneficial to Bea, who has been sheltered from everything to do with sex thanks to her religious upbringing. I love this style of book - I think it's a good way to teach teenagers the knowledge they might not be getting through school sex ed classes.

I liked that the author didn't shame anybody's choices, including Bea's choice not to have sex before marriage. She describes the abortion situation in Texas really well, and I was honestly so horrified to read a lot of the scenes where Camille is trying to get an abortion in state. (It still infuriates me that there are fake abortion clinics where pro lifers try and convince women to keep their 'baby')

Overall, this was an excellent book, and for me it was made 5 stars by the authors note who reveals how personal this book is to her. Really important book!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 624 reviews